Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet providers.

Options
  • 13-10-2013 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

My head is wrecked.
    on the 19 of aug I got in contact with UPC about getting internet.
    I want to get it into a practise space i have in the city, UPC were asking was it a business.. to which i said no.

they said thats perfect, they know now its not a business and they will change the database and get back to me..

on the 16th of Sept I then facebooked them asking what was going on.
    After a few hours of messages back and forward I got the following..

"This query has now been escalated and you will be contacted as soon as possible. The reference number for the query is #####"

the 23rd of Sept... I had to FB them again asking what was going on because once again I havent heard anything.

"Apologies for the delay. Your query is still open and has been passed to the area manager to investigate.
    In some cases it can take a number of weeks to get a definitive answer to a query like this one. Sincere apologies that I did not make that clear when escalating your query originally.
    We will get back to you as soon as we have an update on this.
    "

On the 1st I had a lad come out and look at the side of the building... he wasnt a tech head, he was in a suit.. he then proceeded to tell me that it was a business.. I brought him in, showed him around and asked him what line of work the space might be doing to facilitate rent, VAT and other business expense's. He looked around and agreed with me that its not a business.

Tells me he will ring me tomorrow.

I hear nothing.. so i contact UPC again.

4th of Oct
    Our Networks Team have advised that this is a business address. Is this correct? If so, it would need to go through our Business Sales Team.
    Thanks,
    Sarah

so you can see im getting a little bit frustrated.

at this point the UPC man that came out to have a look around Text me and said "there is a fault on the buildings line and it needs to be repaired.." (all the other UPC customers in the building are unaffected though and UPC said nothing of it in their FB message)

So I then replied to UPC's reply of it being a business address..
    "Ive gone through both the residential, business, back to residential, back to business and back to residential.. and had someone out to have a look...
    I dont run a business, Dont live in a business address, im not registered for VAT and dont have a registered business.
    This is not a business.
    Im starting to get a bit annoyed and im going to end up looking elsewhere for internet if this is the way potential customers are to be treated.
    "

the reply was:

"We will review this with our Networks Team on Monday and get back to you as soon as possible.
    Apologies for the difficulties you are experiencing regarding this matter.
    Regards,
    "

that was 9 days ago..
    All i want to do is get the internet into the studio at a reasonable price.
    I dont run a business, am unemployed and cant be lunching out on mad bills.
    Eircom charge line rental and the price goes up after 6 months.

Can anyone recommend a decent broadband company that is fast, dosent have an upload or download cap (its not for downloading its for streaming) and only needs a monthly payment of 30 - 40 euro?

Ohh and one that actually values customers would be nice :)

/rant.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

0rt wrote: »
    My head is wrecked.
    I want to get it into a practise space i have in the city, UPC were asking was it a business.. to which i said no.

they said thats perfect, they know now its not a business and they will change the database and get back to me..

"This query has now been escalated and you will be contacted as soon as possible. The reference number for the query is #####"

the 23rd of Sept... I had to FB them again asking what was going on because once again I havent heard anything.

"Apologies for the delay. Your query is still open and has been passed to the area manager to investigate.
    In some cases it can take a number of weeks to get a definitive answer to a query like this one. Sincere apologies that I did not make that clear when escalating your query originally.
    We will get back to you as soon as we have an update on this.
    "

On the 1st I had a lad come out and look at the side of the building... he wasnt a tech head, he was in a suit.. he then proceeded to tell me that it was a business.. I brought him in, showed him around and asked him what line of work the space might be doing to facilitate rent, VAT and other business expense's. He looked around and agreed with me that its not a business.

4th of Oct
    Our Networks Team have advised that this is a business address. Is this correct? If so, it would need to go through our Business Sales Team.
    Thanks,
    Sarah

at this point the UPC man that came out to have a look around Text me and said "there is a fault on the buildings line and it needs to be repaired.." (all the other UPC customers in the building are unaffected though and UPC said nothing of it in their FB message)

"Ive gone through both the residential, business, back to residential, back to business and back to residential.. and had someone out to have a look...
    I dont run a business, Dont live in a business address, im not registered for VAT and dont have a registered business.
    This is not a business.
    Im starting to get a bit annoyed and im going to end up looking elsewhere for internet if this is the way potential customers are to be treated.
    "

the reply was:

"We will review this with our Networks Team on Monday and get back to you as soon as possible.
    Regards,
    "

that was 9 days ago..

Can anyone recommend a decent broadband company that is fast, dosent have an upload or download cap (its not for downloading its for streaming) and only needs a monthly payment of 30 - 40 euro?

/rant.

Eircom stand alone broadband uncapped is €40. Unlimited also. No price increase.

Line rental is included in all prices, free installation if no line is present or a free re-activation.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

scouring their website here and cant find anything on standalone internet.
    would you happen to have a link? If not im just going to ring them later.

ohh and thanks :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

PM sent there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Eircom are doing a business deal atm.

http://business.eircom.net/bundles/

2ladb15.jpg

• Advertisement

Eircom are doing a business deal atm.

http://business.eircom.net/bundles/

2ladb15.jpg

Its not a business though.

Similar plan for residential but unlimited local & national calls, plus 30mins to mobiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Then came this.......

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/upc-upgrade-to-double-speed-of-broadband-29657254.html

THOUSANDS of UPC customers will see their basic broadband package more than double in speed in a major upgrade to the service, it has been announced today.

The company is boosting its beginner package from 50 megabits (Mbs) per second to 120Mbs, a move that will see Ireland catapulted up the European broadband league.

Irish homes will overtake many British, French and European regions for fibre-speed broadband access.

http://www.upc.ie/broadbandandphone/

7upfree wrote: »
    Then came this.......

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/upc-upgrade-to-double-speed-of-broadband-29657254.html

THOUSANDS of UPC customers will see their basic broadband package more than double in speed in a major upgrade to the service, it has been announced today.

The company is boosting its beginner package from 50 megabits (Mbs) per second to 120Mbs, a move that will see Ireland catapulted up the European broadband league.

Irish homes will overtake many British, French and European regions for fibre-speed broadband access.

http://www.upc.ie/broadbandandphone/

Its an upgrade that seems to be already available, but its a shame UPC coverage isn't wider. Would love fibre in Tramore!

Sky for TV
    UPC for broadband

That's how I'd set it up personally. Market needs more competition though, and actual competition at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

great for people who can get these upgrades, viewmount estate still stuck with 30 meg, want to see the work they've done to increase speeds in the estate, get ready cause this is a shocker

555846_10151609100485872_1175596376_n_zpsba88b899.jpg

and even that's faded out now

Shin

theres people out there still on dialup in rural areas...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

vodafone unlimited for 35e a month, terrible customer care, but the broadband is grand

vodafone unlimited for 35e a month, terrible customer care, but the broadband is grand

That's only if your a vodafone mobile customer though, isn't it? 37 otherwise no? Vodafone come in a bit cheaper then Eircom as standard then again if your a Vodafone customer. Smart pricing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

No, I'm a meteor mobile phone user. Its a 12 month contract though, I forgot to add that bit in.
    I just checked it there and its saying 37euro a month for unlimited. So its gone up in the last few weeks.
    They've another package for 27euro but its capped.

Wait I just checked it again, I was looking at the wrong package, Vodafone Simply Broadband Max is 32euro a month, they have it hidden on their homepage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Eamonn

0rt wrote: »
    My head is wrecked.

We will get back to you as soon as we have an update on this."

4th of Oct
    Thanks,
    Sarah

This is not a business.
    Im starting to get a bit annoyed and im going to end up looking elsewhere for internet if this is the way potential customers are to be treated."

the reply was:

Regards,"

that was 9 days ago..

/rant.

Hi there,

If you PM our UPC: Reps account with the full address we will urgently look into this for you.

Regards,

Eamonn

shinzon wrote: »
    great for people who can get these upgrades, viewmount estate still stuck with 30 meg, want to see the work they've done to increase speeds in the estate, get ready cause this is a shocker

and even that's faded out now

Shin

Hi Shinzon,

We estimate that full services will be available in your estate by the end of the year (with work scheduled to begin in the coming weeks).

As always though, please note that any release dates are estimates, and could change.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I live on the Tramore road left Eircom due to dial up broadband speeds, looked at their new fibre package which clearly showed I am well inside of the "Now available" area, rang there helpline to be told, "nah not available there come back to us in late 2014 ".

Leopards and spots spring to mind.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I live on the Tramore road left Eircom due to dial up broadband speeds, looked at their new fibre package which clearly showed I am well inside of the "Now available" area, rang there helpline to be told, "nah not available there come back to us in late 2014 ".

Lol yeah and I hear people are being told over the phone its available in areas that its not. :)

The fibre checker on their website where you put in your address is the most accurate tbh. Did you put your address through that?

UPC Eamonn; Any plans to bring UPC to Tramore?

Hi Shinzon,

We estimate that full services will be available in your estate by the end of the year (with work scheduled to begin in the coming weeks).

As always though, please note that any release dates are estimates, and could change.

Thanks

really cool beans thx Eamonn, I know that dates change but at least its getting closer

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

It's all a scam. I'm with UPC on an expensive package but my speeds are shocking. When I complain they always ask me to test the speed by plugging directly into the modem. Who the hell does that. Their wifi is terrible.

Sully wrote: »

The fibre checker on their website where you put in your address is the most accurate tbh. Did you put your address through that?
    Yes " they're not very accurate"

• Advertisement

Yes " they're not very accurate"

Lol I'd be surprised if it wasn't accurate, I didn't think call centre staff had any extra information!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

It's all a scam. I'm with UPC on an expensive package but my speeds are shocking. When I complain they always ask me to test the speed by plugging directly into the modem. Who the hell does that. Their wifi is terrible.
    We get 104 connected directly. WiFi varies depending on the device (phone, tablet, etc). But it's soooo sweet.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Lol yeah and I hear people are being told over the phone its available in areas that its not. smile.png

I had Eircom fieldreps at my door the other day offering me their new fibre bundles. When I said I hadn't realised my estate had been upgraded they assured me it had. I pointed out that there was no VDSL exchange in our estate so it was impossible but she insisted that the system said yes so tried to push the sale. They really don't have a clue!

You can easily tell the difference between the cabinets as per below image take from THIS thread. The old one is the one on the left, the new VDSL fibre enabled are on the right.

r1zy1d.jpg

..Brian.. wrote: »

You can easily tell the difference between the cabinets The old one is the one on the left, the new VDSL fibre enabled are on the right.

r1zy1d.jpg

A cabinet! I'd be happy with a pole!

Story of my life........

..Brian.. wrote: »
    I had Eircom fieldreps at my door the other day offering me their new fibre bundles. When I said I hadn't realised my estate had been upgraded they assured me it had. I pointed out that there was no VDSL exchange in our estate so it was impossible but she insisted that the system said yes so tried to push the sale. They really don't have a clue!

You can easily tell the difference between the cabinets as per below image take from THIS thread. The old one is the one on the left, the new VDSL fibre enabled are on the right.

r1zy1d.jpg

To be fair, if the system says your address is enabled then they have to go by that! There not technically minded most and are doing as instructed. :)

Lol yeah and I hear people are being told over the phone its available in areas that its not. :)

UPC Eamonn; Any plans to bring UPC to Tramore?

Hi Sully,

If you PM UPC: Reps with the full address we'll check if any estimated release dates are available.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

shinzon wrote: »
    Must be those "go faster" stripes, Shin. :)
    I dropped UPC broadband in favour of Eircom eFibre (the 50Mb business one rather than the 70Mb package) and am getting a solid 47Mb download connection with about 13Mb upload. The cabinet, I think is up at the entrance to Faranshoneen Lane before the roundabout.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    I dropped UPC broadband in favour of Eircom eFibre (the 50Mb business one rather than the 70Mb package) and am getting a solid 47Mb download connection with about 13Mb upload. The cabinet, I think is up at the entrance to Faranshoneen Lane before the roundabout.

Regards...jmcc

Will you consider the eircom TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Will you consider the eircom TV?
    No. The packages are wrong. And Eircom TV is not available on the business packages from what I remember.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote: »

Regards...jmcc

lol to true, least Eamonn has said it is coming hopefully by years end, all those squares gone now, but have noticed a lot more blue paint spray painted on paths all over the place :)

Shin

Advertisement