Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet providers.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

UPC have finally started digging in Viewmount this morning, nice to see all the diggers out and about starting the work for enhanced services in the estate.

Shin

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

eircom are now doing 70mb unlimited for €40. Competition is good:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sully wrote: »

For the first 6 months and then up to €55. I'm changing to Vodafone, guaranteed minimum of 12.26mbps now, and upgraded to Fibre in 6 weeks for free with a guaranteed 45mbps, & Unlimited download (not capped at 200gb) and a few free calls all for €37 a month, and it won't go up.

So the rep said anyway!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

For the first 6 months and then up to €55. I'm changing to Vodafone, guaranteed minimum of 12.26mbps now, and upgraded to Fibre in 6 weeks for free with a guaranteed 45mbps, & Unlimited download (not capped at 200gb) and a few free calls all for €37 a month, and it won't go up.

So the rep said anyway!

I'm on about stand alone broadband which is a monthly price, doesn't increase. Vodafone does have a usage limit according to one of their reps I met, but its designed to prevent abuse apparently. Not sure about eircom.

Was unaware vodafone had a plan that cheap for calls and bb! I always was of the understanding that was a 6month offer. Voda are cheap if you have mobile with them!

Fibre is a real help for those in non upc areas, or those who don't want upc. Shame other providers aren't offering it!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

So the plot thickens.

I messaged UPC today asking the following.
    "Hi there Eamonn,
    Just a quick question regarding the installation.
    I see the website has been updated.
    Is it still 50euro installation, and 39 euro per month for the internet?
    Given that ive waited since August for the Installation, I dont want to be hit with hidden charges.
    Still havent heard from a Technician, can you confirm a day i can expect a call?
    Regards.
    "

The reply I got was from Sinead... It annoys me I cant talk to just one person...
    "There is a €45 activation fee for any piece of equipment. A €60 installation fee would also apply if a cable point needs to be installed.
    The monthly subscription charges would vary depending on which package you go for. You can find details on the available bundles here: http://www.upc.ie/broadbandandphone/.
    We are waiting for an update regarding a timeframe for installation and we will get back to you as soon as possible regarding this.
    Thanks,
    Sinead
    "

So I replied,
    "I was told that the Broadband without the phone was 39per month when i rang back in Aug.. No one mentioned anything about activation costs or cable point installation fees."

To be met with a message from Sarah.. (again not the same person)
    "Our Broadband prices have changed since August. Our 120Mb Broadband and Phone pack is €44. We no longer sell the €39 Broadband pack.
    The modem activation charge and cable install charges however have not changed since August. They would of applied had you ordered then also.
    Please let us know if you have any queries on this.
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    "

So I replied again..
    "I since August have been trying to have the internet installed.
    Please have a Supervisor ring me.
    085xxxxxxx
    "

Heres the reply..
    "As the account has not been setup yet, we would, when setting up only be able to provide packs currently available. The €39 pack is no longer available so we would be unable to supply this.
    We do apologies for the delay but we will not be able to arrange a Supervisor call back to discuss these packs.
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    "

Why is it so hard to get internet from UPC?
    Ive no account but i have a reference number, so im on their system.
    There was no mention of Activation costs when i was on the phone to them back in Aug.
    They just dont care really do they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

[quote="Potential-Mo 

So the rep said anyway![/quote]

A verbal promise isnt worth the paper it's written on.

0rt wrote: »
    So the plot thickens.

I messaged UPC today asking the following.
    "Hi there Eamonn,
    Just a quick question regarding the installation.
    I see the website has been updated.
    Is it still 50euro installation, and 39 euro per month for the internet?
    Given that ive waited since August for the Installation, I dont want to be hit with hidden charges.
    Still havent heard from a Technician, can you confirm a day i can expect a call?
    Regards.
    "

The reply I got was from Sinead... It annoys me I cant talk to just one person...
    "There is a €45 activation fee for any piece of equipment. A €60 installation fee would also apply if a cable point needs to be installed.
    The monthly subscription charges would vary depending on which package you go for. You can find details on the available bundles here: http://www.upc.ie/broadbandandphone/.
    We are waiting for an update regarding a timeframe for installation and we will get back to you as soon as possible regarding this.
    Thanks,
    Sinead
    "

So I replied,
    "I was told that the Broadband without the phone was 39per month when i rang back in Aug.. No one mentioned anything about activation costs or cable point installation fees."

To be met with a message from Sarah.. (again not the same person)
    "Our Broadband prices have changed since August. Our 120Mb Broadband and Phone pack is €44. We no longer sell the €39 Broadband pack.
    The modem activation charge and cable install charges however have not changed since August. They would of applied had you ordered then also.
    Please let us know if you have any queries on this.
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    "

So I replied again..
    "I since August have been trying to have the internet installed.
    Please have a Supervisor ring me.
    085xxxxxxx
    "

Heres the reply..
    "As the account has not been setup yet, we would, when setting up only be able to provide packs currently available. The €39 pack is no longer available so we would be unable to supply this.
    We do apologies for the delay but we will not be able to arrange a Supervisor call back to discuss these packs.
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    "

Why is it so hard to get internet from UPC?
    Ive no account but i have a reference number, so im on their system.
    There was no mention of Activation costs when i was on the phone to them back in Aug.
    They just dont care really do they?

UPC has got it arseways around as regards customers, these 45 euro activation fees are mysteriously for existing customers only, there is no activation fee rubbish if your a new customer however, have never and will never understand that business model, and those packs sarah talks about, not sure what she means that they don't sell them anymore, they mightn't sell them but there certainly lurking somewhere on there systems, I am currently on one of there legacy packs, slightly different to what your saying I know but there there alright you just need to fight them for it

Only way anyone ever gets what they want out of UPC is to go through customer loyalty, again have no idea why, but that's the way to go. I know I have swung wildly from one extreme to the other as regards UPC, there service is great there customer service and business model is woefully inadequate, excluding the UPC-REPS, unfortunately they have to toe company policy line whilst trying to do there best in there very narrow customer service brief

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Sully wrote: »

Then €55 after six months.

In comparison €52 gets you 200Mb uncapped with UPC..........:)

€44 gets you 120 Mb.

http://www.upc.ie/broadbandandphone/

7upfree wrote: »
    Then €55 after six months.

In comparison €52 gets you 200Mb uncapped with UPC..........:)

€44 gets you 120 Mb.

http://www.upc.ie/broadbandandphone/

I can assure you, the price does not go up after six months. :) Free setup and free installation. A friend of mine signed up for it, has the piece of paper which shows exactly what he is paying. UPC wasn't available in his area at 120.

So with the 70mb for 40euro, theres no setup charges?
    Is there line rental or is that included in the 40?
    Is there any hidden charges at all?

• Advertisement

0rt wrote: »
    So with the 70mb for 40euro, theres no setup charges?
    Is there line rental or is that included in the 40?
    Is there any hidden charges at all?

No other charges, there is an eircom forum on here to ask. UPC are here also, but they posted in the thread already. Reps aren't supposed to, without permission, so I assume that's why eircom haven't.

ESB are launching broadband next year afaik, fibre through power lines. Was reading about it in the broadband forum! Faster then eircom, close on UPC afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 FestyOSemtex

Go with UPC, they are much better than Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

guaranteed minimum of 12.26mbps now, and upgraded to Fibre in 6 weeks for free with a guaranteed 45mbps

Wasnt a smart fella you where speaking to so.

DSL is way too volatile to guarantee anything. They use sales jargon like up to which covers there arse when it drops to about 2meg.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Wasnt a smart fella you where speaking to so.

DSL is way too volatile to guarantee anything. They use sales jargon like up to which covers there arse when it drops to about 2meg.

Oh i questioned him on it. He said, straight out, guarantee 12.26, and wrote it down on the contract, of which i have a copy. Now, i don't mind as long as it stays above 5/6, that's all i need (and reasonably expect). It's the ping i'm concerned about. If the ping is high, i'm gone!

Oh i questioned him on it. He said, straight out, guarantee 12.26, and wrote it down on the contract, of which i have a copy. Now, i don't mind as long as it stays above 5/6, that's all i need (and reasonably expect). It's the ping i'm concerned about. If the ping is high, i'm gone!

Just doesn't understand is all. Reps can do a line test to give a speed indication. But its only an indication and the rep cannot guarantee any speed. They can give estimates at best.

Fibre is a little different, because the minimum you can get is 18mb and its very rare (further away from cabinet). In fibre, a lot of people seem to get pretty close on the figure. Anything is faster than the older broadband I think we can all agree anyway.

Very Very silly thing that rep did writing a guaranteed speed into a contract, if he had of written down upto then he would have covered himself, but by guaranteeing you a speed in a contract hes left not only himself but the company wide open to all sorts of trouble, you can hold them legally accountable now for any drops in that speed, and whilst that is good news for you, itll be a nightmare for them, which I suppose in the long run makes no difference, just means they have to work that bit harder for you to maintain the speed that's been guaranteed :)

Shin

So, UPC told me 2 weeks ago they would ring... they didnt.
    Then when I got in contact with them the previous friday the 25th, they said they would call me last week..
    I didnt hear a thing from them.

Ive gone with eircom, UPC are after wasting my time.
    4 months trying to get internet in.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

best thing you could have done by the sounds of it

Advertisement