Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

weekends of barrister training

• 13-10-2013 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi all, im due to start the kings inns barrister training course next year and i was just wondering if there was anyone who has passed through the inns to tell me what the weekend is like. i was hoping to go and work to make up the rent money for the week but was unsure if i will have the time. is the work load at the kings inns so intensive as to consume the weekend or are the weekends reliably available to spend working? thank you :)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Considering many people work full time while doing the modular course, doing it the other way around should be doable.

Never fun to be doing a full time college course while working part time, but it's gotta be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 willieryaners

thank you johnny much appreciated. i take it the weekend is taking up with preparations and work for kings inns on monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Considering many people work full time while doing the modular course, doing it the other way around should be doable.

Never fun to be doing a full time college course while working part time, but it's gotta be done.

You really should add more meat to that reply. It's only a skeleton answer.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

thank you johnny much appreciated. i take it the weekend is taking up with preparations and work for kings inns on monday.

Maybe an hour or two on a Sunday evening. It wont interfere too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Awfull Lawfull

Could anyone tell me if you can do your devilling in Cork ? I am not in a position where I can move, and hope to sit the entrance exams next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Could anyone tell me if you can do your devilling in Cork ? I am not in a position where I can move, and hope to sit the entrance exams next year.

I a aware of applications to Devil in Cork, I an not aware of any that have been allowed.

Depending on who your master is you may not have to move. I live in Cork have a fair amount of work in Dublin, I bus it. The 06:30 gobe gets into Dublin at 9:30 and a midweek day return is €18.00 while I accept it will add up its cheaper than living in Dublin. Again depending in master you may only need to be in Dublin a few days a week.

In fact depending on your practice after devilling you could be in Dublin 2 or 3 days a week, to make matters worse its usually, Monday, Wednesday and Friday, painful.

Just as an aside this year is the lowest number of 2nd year devils coming to cork since 2005. In 05 it was 2 this year its 3 I believe. In between was about 10ish per year.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I think there is provision for practitioners to undertake their first year devilling in Cork (well, outside of Dublin but this usually just means Cork) but it needs to be sanctioned by the Bar Council. You should contact the Bar Council offices and find out from them what the procedure is, if it is still in place.

Edit: infosys is clearly more knowledgeable than I am wrt operating from Cork.

Thank you for the reply , I will contact the Bar Council and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

I thought there was a certain amount of days that needed to be completed in Dublin specifically. You could always just sign up to a Cork master, nobody actually checks your whereabouts although you need to attend a few mandatory CPD lectures in your first year in Dublin so that might be a problem. You have notice of them though.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

The Rules are the Rules - They read that 1st year deviling is to be undertaken in Dublin - true capital and all that.

• Advertisement

I have checked with the Bar Council, and yes the first year pupillage must be
    undertaken in Dublin :( Oh well ! I think I will continue anyway with my plans
    to sit the entrance exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

they don't really fully implement that rule though?

i mean a fair few of the masters work on the eastern/ south eastern circuit in particular as well as dublin, and you can be sent out to the sticks as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Tom Young wrote: »
    The Rules are the Rules - They read that 1st year deviling is to be undertaken in Dublin - true capital and all that.

I am aware of exceptions to that rule - whether they were sanctioned or ignored I don't know.

From what the lady in the bar council said, there was no leeway at all with it..But like you said it could be happening..

Advertisement