Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading an iMac

Options
  • 13-10-2013 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all. Trying to choose a new computer and always liked the idea of an Apple iMac. I prefer a desktop as opposed to laptop. However dont know if they are upgradable after purchase. I've normally upgraded memory and added an external hard drive after a couple of years, I know I can add hard drives to the Apple but can you upgrade memory. Also does the iMac have a built in disc drive. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The current iMacs are pretty difficult to upgrade. About all you can do without serious dismantling (taking a heat gun to the glued screen) is change the RAM on the 27" model. They're lovely machines, but they're not for upgrading. The new MacPro, out soon apparently is probably more upgrade friendly.

And there is always a hackintossh...

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

What will you be using the iMac for if you do purchase one? They are a fantastic machine, i have a late 2009 model and it is still in top nic, never had any problems with it. I know the new iMacs dont have the build in disc drive, but to be honest with you i never realy use my one anyway. Its possible to upgrade the ram, and if you need more HD space just buy an external drive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Diggles wrote: »
    I know I can add hard drives to the Apple but can you upgrade memory.
    Thanks

Hmm, maybe someone else could confirm, but I'm fairly certain even changing RAM in those imacs is very tricky, same goes for hard disk. If you need upgradeability maybe best avoid Apple products and laptops?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Depending on the model, it could be very easy or quite difficult. For instance, this iMac 27" Late 2009 is only 3 steps to change it.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Replacing+iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2309+and+2374+RAM/1630/1

The new skinny iMac's would be a lot more difficult since the back has to be removed but it's quite easy to future proof them, if you buy it new - get 8GB of RAM.

The Mac Mini is much easier to upgrade, esp. with regards to peripherals since it's just the device (no screen). Superdrive is seperate at €80.

MacMiniWithSuperDrive.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

yoyo wrote: »
    Hmm, maybe someone else could confirm, but I'm fairly certain even changing RAM in those imacs is very tricky, same goes for hard disk. If you need upgradeability maybe best avoid Apple products and laptops?

Nick

You can only change the RAM easily on the new 27" model. There's a little access door at the back. No such luck with the 21".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

thats a mac mini in that pic is it not?

I have an imac and Ive changed the CD, harddrive and ram in it without much bother. You wont be changing ethernet cards etc as they are soldered to the board, but everything else is upgradable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

5uspect wrote: »
    You can only change the RAM easily on the new 27" model. There's a little access door at the back. No such luck with the 21".

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/imac-aluminum-tapered-edge-faq/how-to-upgrade-imac-ram-aluminum-2012.html

Advertisement