Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiji

• 14-10-2013 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi guys,

I am moving over to New Zealand next month for a year and I have been thinking that I would like to go see Fiji at some stage since I will be pretty close, probably not until February or March next year at least.

What time of year would be best to visit? Is it expensive once you get there? I am a backpacker so would like to travel around a good bit to see many different places so what would be the best way to do this?

Thanks for any information anyone has.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Was in Fiji about 8 years ago (2005), so this information could be a bit out of date.
    Barryp6177 wrote: »
    What time of year would be best to visit? Is it expensive once you get there? I am a backpacker so would like to travel around a good bit to see many different places so what would be the best way to do this?

Thanks for any information anyone has.

In May/June it was Winter in New Zealand, but it was sunny and nice on Fiji.

I don't remember it being dirt cheap or anything when I was there. It wasn't too bad for backpacker. It wasn't as cheap as south east asia or anything.

There are hundreds of islands that make up Fiji. All I can remember is that our plan was to get off the main island asap and to get out to one of those tropical paradise islands. There seemed to be very little opportunity to book accommodation online at that time, but hopefully this will have changed in the meantime. We ended up having to use a travel agent in the airport.

In any case, the deal was that we went on a boat called the Yasawa Flyer to an island called Nacula. This was a tropical paradise with coconut trees, exotic birds, white sand and clear sea water. Like a Bounty bar ad from ages ago. Nacula is at the end of the Yasawa group of islands.

It would be a good idea to bring snorkeling gear.

I can't remember the place that we stayed on Nacula but I wouldn't recommend it. It could have been a place callled Safe Landing but I can't say for 100% sure. The food was included. I remember it being ok. The accommodation was basic, which didn't bother me. There were bedbugs. Other places had nicer accommodation.

We went exploring the island and found a much nicer place called Oarsman's Bay. We got talking to some people who stayed there, and they were quite happy with that place. That said, a quick look at tripadvisor shows another place on the island called Blue Lagoon, with even better reviews.

There wasn't exactly a happening nightlife on the island or anything, at the time anyway. There were things to do though. This was where I first tried scuba diving. I thought it was absolutely amazing at the time. Looking back, I remember the dive instructor saying that it was a rubbish dive spot, and to be honest, looking back, it probably was. It didn't seem that way at the time though. We also did a boat trip to an island with an underwater cave. There were a few other bits and pieces. I wasn't too impressed with tribal dancing - just not my thing. There was an organised fishing trip one day but I didn't go. All in all, a great experience.

My only warning would be that the people on Fiji are not great with time. They tend to go on 'Fiji time' which is anywhere from 45 minutes early to an hour late. As a result you have to allow for loads of extra time for your journey, especially if you are getting the last boat back to the main island to catch a flight. Forget about asking for hotel wake up calls, if that's something that you ever do.

And watch out for falling coconuts!:D

Advertisement