Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options
  • 14-10-2013 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Okay, so another July mom and I were talking and we came to thinking, there is a pregnant woman's moan thread that we can alleviate our rants to, and as soon as baby arrives, we feel like we are supposed to smile and play happy, even with a 36 hour straight crying baby or teething, etc. So I decided to put up this rant thread.

We all love our children more than we can express, but there are days we are just so tired and worn we need to rant. We are terrified of either boring friends and family or appalling them by saying something about hating a certain aspect. So here it is, a baby moan thread, every teething rant, every sleepless night, no judgement, just other parents who have been there, done that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I will start this thing I suppose. I love S to bits, more than I could ever imagine. The furthest I have ever been from her in her 12 weeks since birth is the bathroom, but dear Jesus I can't do a thing with her. She is only happy in my arms. If I put her down while she is awake she screams louder than any banshee. She wakes if she is put back in her buggy or cot and begins screaming immediately. I would just love one cup of coffee/tea with both boobs in my top and her awake with me! Is that too much to ask???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

A does this cry that's half cough half wail; its like she's trying to choke herself. I love her to bits but it doesn't half burst my eardrum.

I told my friend the other day I wouldn't like a baby that didn't cry because it's how they express themselves. I wonder what A is expressing by crying like that.

Another thing that bothers me is when she goes down at night, I don't take the opportunity and sleep, I have a browse on the net..its the only time its silent n uninterrupted. But I really should sleep.

loubian wrote: »
    A does this cry that's half cough half wail; its like she's trying to choke herself. It doesn't half burst my eardrum.

Know the feeling. S's older brother had ear surgery when he was younger for grommets, once she starts he has to leave the room :(

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Know the feeling. S's older brother had ear surgery when he was younger for grommets, once she starts he has to leave the room :(

Awh poor thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Great thread! Nine days in, I've survived a hospital admission for a kidney infection (no sleep) which kick started labour four weeks early, a traumatic emergency section under GA, my son collapsing and having to go to NICU, five nights in the LOUDEST hospital ward ever, an inability to breastfeed, his inability to latch on, the baby blues making me feel like the worst, most useless mother in the world because I couldn't feed him, three-hourly expressing sessions, a baby that can't/won't burp and seems to think that 1am-4am is the optimal time for exercising his vocal chords...... But I wouldn't have it any other way :)

• Advertisement

nikpmup wrote: »
    Great thread! Nine days in, I've survived a hospital admission for a kidney infection (no sleep) which kick started labour four weeks early, a traumatic emergency section under GA, my son collapsing and having to go to NICU, five nights in the LOUDEST hospital ward ever, an inability to breastfeed, his inability to latch on, the baby blues making me feel like the worst, most useless mother in the world because I couldn't feed him, three-hourly expressing sessions, a baby that can't/won't burp and seems to think that 1am-4am is the optimal time for exercising his vocal chords...... But I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Know a little of what you are going through nickmup, I had a Emergency c-section under GA with no1, NICU unit and bf problems too. I expressed for 6 weeks before just going on formula. He was colicky and angry. It gets better. *hugs*

Lol such a great idea for a thread :). My Sunday evening:

PERCEPTION: the plan was CR was going to nod off for the night after her 9p.m. feed and I was going to have a nice evening to myself starting with a nice, long hot shower. Followed by a soothing, hot mug of coffee and perhaps indulge myself with a nice bar of my favourite chocolate. All of this would be done in front of the roaring fire and I would check on CR angelically sleeping like a log in her Moses basket say every 10 minutes.

REALITY! The 9pm feed started off well, she guzzled it down no problem and started to nod off. Great! It's all going to plan, I'll cuddle her for a while, then quickly change her nappy and put her off her to sleep. Uh oh, why is her face going so red. Oh I know, she constipated again! Shoot! I need to find her bib and the brown sugar lurking in the back of the cupboard and quickly do up the mixture while she roars crying in her bouncer with the pain. Hold on though, none of the dishes are clean so I need to frantically wash and dry her medicine spoon and jug. Put her bib on and try to feed her the mixture while she has other ideas and spits it back up creating a sweet, sticky mess all over her mouth, cheeks and pjampas. Half the mixture swallowed and half where it shouldn't be, wondering if half will work to relieve her bowels. Now to hold her upright so she will digest it and not spit up while she jerks like a mad woman. Wait 20 minutes and change her nappy. Oh no, it hasn't worked. Maybe she might sleep now. Great, 5 minutes and she's conked but what if she poops, she'll need another nappy change. Ok, maybe I'll quickly run for a shower and come back and check her nappy again. 2 minutes later, shower over! Smell something bad from the outside, have to change her nappy. Oh no, she's waking up! Lovely surprise on nappy! It takes 6 wet wipes to clean her bum. Dispose of smelly nappy bag. Now to put back on her PJS, Grobag and put her in Moses basket. 30 minutes later, still awake and wailing. 00.00 finally falls asleep. Oh I have to conk too!

BUT I love her to bits. She's sleeping angelically now, just 3 hours behind schedule!

Hop she'll stay asleep for you now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

God thank you. Woke up for first feed of the night and saw this (through my bleary eyes). L is almost 6 weeks and I'm certain has bad reflux. Seeing her little face when she gags on the acid is awful and makes me feel terrible for getting tired of her fussing and crying.
    And to top it off then I feel like there isn't enough of me to go around and both my husband and other daughter are feeling neglected...
    I'll stop there, tip of the iceberg....:o
    Thank god for boards, and my lovely sisters and mum who all clubbed together to get me an iPad mini for my birthday (4 days after L's). The combination of the two is keeping me sane :p

banbhaairfric, what ever you have to unload, this is the thread for it. we can't hold it in, it is unhealthy. Babies sense frustration and family don't want to hear moaning.

I feel you on the family thing, my partner thinks I don't find him attractive anymore and I feel the only time I am with my son is to get him to do stuff like get dressed for school and even half of that I feel like I am yelling!!!

On the attractiveness thing - my partner is an absolute gem, he hasn't stopped telling me that I still look amazing, that he still fancies me etc, but! I feel like the ugliest lump ever! I know it shouldn't matter, but I have never felt less attractive. I've gone from a size 12 pre-pregnancy to a 16, and I spend much of my day sitting on the couch with a loud pump clamped to one boob, with milky dribbles staining my top. My belly is wobbly and black and blue, my bikini line has a freshly-sliced scar across it and I need my highlights done and I'm long overdue for a wax (which I can't get done anyway because of my section scar) I keep promising himself he'll get his attractive girlfriend back someday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

That should read thank you Wolfpawnat!

And lol icescreamqueen, that should nearly have a thread of its own! My soft focus perception of me gazing adoringly at my smooth skinned sweetly sleeping baby has been replaced by me red faced, frizzy haired and boobs akimbo and her spotty, red faced and screaming.

Good times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭SnoozySuzie

Does anyone else's baby make a liar of them!!!
    L can spend the day being cranky and whinging from teething but the second we go around to granny's she's all smiles and cuddles and they don't know what I'm giving out about!!!

L can spend the day being cranky and whinging from teething but the second we go around to granny's she's all smiles and cuddles and they don't know what I'm giving out about!!!

Yes! I could spend all day with a screaming cranky baby, nearly crying down the phone with frustration and exhaustion then when people come home she's all smiles and babbles and tricks them into thinking she's sn angel! She's a trickster, at two months old. How am I going to survive the toddler/teenage years!?

Saying that, I can't help but smile back when she eventually calms down n starts babbling at us

Not a baby moan, a granny moan. When I was a baby, I contracted pneumonia and was in hospital for five months. My mother is convinced that it was because it was a cold day and I caught a "chill". As a result, all I get is " wrap him up! It's cold, he needs another blanket/hat/gloves!" The child will suffocate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I think I got Mammy guilt and had to delete what I typed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

o God its all coming back, the 1st 12 Weeks with number 2 were Hell, he Was either feeding or crying.

even now in work when I hear a newborn crying I think its him and want to go and hide somewhere.

Same guy at 20 months will not cry no matter what, we have to keep checking the monitor to see if he is awake during the night.

I remember looking at myself before a bath after number 2, black and blue wobbley belly over hang, you d never think you could end up looking some way normal again. But it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Great idea for a thread ;-)
    My 14 month old little boy always makes a liar out of me. He could have been like a divil all day, crying, roaring, pulling the house apart. I will have text his daddy telling him this when he asks how our day is then as soon as Daddy comes in, he's full of beans, all smiles and jokes :-) pup :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Bless this thread

They love making an arse of ya. Mine does opposite, is an angel for me for several days on the trot and then has meltdowns in public/at mil's house/when have guests over etc.

Also they could be doing a new thing (new syllable etc) for days and then won't do it for you when asked to perform :D
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I remember looking at myself before a bath after number 2, black and blue wobbley belly over hang, you d never think you could end up looking some way normal again. But it does happen.

This is true, for the first 4-5 months after giving birth, I didn't think I'd ever be the same. I'd put on 3.5 st over pregnancy, everything wobbled, was misshapen, marked, bad skin you name it. I more or less had the weight lost and back to myself (more or less) by 9mths post partum. Didn't diet, weight just came off by some sort of act of God.

Even if hadn't lost the weight, the wobble has gone out of me, skin settled down, hair settled down, you get the picture.

God, I hope so! I had to dash out to penneys yesterday to grab some jeans - my pre-pregnancy size 10/12's ain't going near me anytime soon. Had to buy size 16 :( Disgusted with my flabby wobbly belly - esp when the c-section doctor told me to "lift the flap" to let air at my wound to let it heal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Mink wrote: »
    Bless this thread

They love making an arse of ya. Mine does opposite, is an angel for me for several days on the trot and then has meltdowns in public/at mil's house/when have guests over etc.

Also they could be doing a new thing (new syllable etc) for days and then won't do it for you when asked to perform :D

This is true, for the first 4-5 months after giving birth, I didn't think I'd ever be the same. I'd put on 3.5 st over pregnancy, everything wobbled, was misshapen, marked, bad skin you name it. I more or less had the weight lost and back to myself (more or less) by 9mths post partum. Didn't diet, weight just came off by some sort of act of God.

Even if hadn't lost the weight, the wobble has gone out of me, skin settled down, hair settled down, you get the picture.

Oh I wish I could count on all my fingers and toes how many times J has made a liar of me. He's just over 6 months now and gettin better at it! He can out smart me too by the time he's 1 ill have no hair left. Took him few days to work out his walker he started off bouncing in it realised it moved and continued until he got it moving proper. Now he likes everything he can't have so no rest for the pregnant woman who is now totally sick it's non stop at nearly 14 weeks? It should be goin now.

Not sure if I should be here or pregnancy thread but been I have a baby and he's teething and not sleeping great I figure here is a good start

• Advertisement

I can see myself being a regular poster here.

I'm so fed up. I'm looking after A through no sleep, through screams n fights, n when my mum comes home she looks at me like I'm doing it wrong. A is crying in my arms coz she has wind n my mam takes her off me. Sure it might be a gesture of aid but I'm trying to settle MY daughter. Probably sound like an ungrateful cow here.

N today I said something like "maybe she knows I'm A's mammy" talking about my niece n my mum took offence to it. I AM A's mammy. Argh.

N then trying to organise swimming and people are just telling me reasons not to go. So annoying.

A was up a lot last night, I've a very important meeting tomorrow and I just want to sleep.

Edit: I can hear her gabbling away to my family downstairs. Did I get any of that today? Not a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

nikpmup wrote: »
    Not a baby moan, a granny moan. When I was a baby, I contracted pneumonia and was in hospital for five months. My mother is convinced that it was because it was a cold day and I caught a "chill". As a result, all I get is " wrap him up! It's cold, he needs another blanket/hat/gloves!" The child will suffocate!

My mum expects me to put coats on the kids going from the front door to the car door... They're not going to catch their deaths walking less than 10 feet! I have to take them off them getting into the bloody car then!

I don't have a newborn anymore (well for another 6 months), but I felt guilty last night for being mad at my 2 year old for waking up at 3am and then extra guilty when she woke up this morning with a temp! She's teething the poor thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Yeah I get it all the time like maybe he want bottle is the most used line. Even when I say he's just had one its oh he could still be hungry of course I humour them and try him and he's having none of it. My dad's latest is when I say he'll eat his spoon feeds but won't eat dinner and he always says have you tried different thing's? NO I thought I'd annoy him by giving him the same thing all the time

January I feel your pain!! Teething is awful and I'm not sleeping at the mo

I made this for all parents, not just ones with newborns January.

Loubian, the thing I have learned with family, your parenting technique is always wrong and they should be the no1 figure in their lives.

S screamed all day today when not in my arms. I just give up, I need a few minutes to do different jobs, as much as I feel I should leave her for the few minutes, I can't!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

No sleep and 5 month old twins means mammy went out today and left front door wide open...until OH got home 2 hours later!! He thought we had been robbed. I can't believe we weren't robbed!!!! I love my babies but What I wouldn't do for a full nights sleep...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

January wrote: »
    My mum expects me to put coats on the kids going from the front door to the car door... They're not going to catch their deaths walking less than 10 feet! I have to take them off them getting into the bloody car then!

Show her this :) :
    At Forskolan Orren, a pre-school outside Stockholm, all children sleep outside until they reach the age of three.
    "When the temperature drops to -15C (5F) we always cover the prams with blankets," says head teacher Brittmarie Carlzon.
    "It's not only the temperature that matters, it's also how cold it feels. Some days it can be -15C but it actually feels like -20C (-4F) because of the wind," she says.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21537988

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Blueskye wrote: »
    No sleep and 5 month old twins means mammy went out today and left front door wide open...until OH got home 2 hours later!! He thought we had been robbed. I can't believe we weren't robbed!!!! I love my babies but What I wouldn't do for a full nights sleep...

On Thursday morning we got locked into our house (our porch door lock stuck), my partner went out through the window and we managed to force the door open after 20 mins. Our babysitter was waiting outside because we were off to the first appt in the maternity hospital. She got the girls ready for school and off she went, when we got back we realised the window was still wide open... we had all obviously forgotten to close it... surprised we weren't fleeced!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I love my little boy and I love that I'm the person he always wants to go to but the hanging off my legs all day and whining to be up and then once up wanting down is driving me bananas. Please dear lord let this phase end soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

"No mammy, i want to do it Myself!" Well hurry up and do it then wouldya?

Late. For. Everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We did a similar thing when A was a week old. We went back to maternity hospital with her as I had mastits and we left the huge window in our ground floor apartment wide open. The phn called and thought we were ignoring her until we explained what happened.

We don't live in a safe area of Dublin but perhaps no one expects people to be that stupid around here so assumed we were at home.

Advertisement