Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

nikpmup wrote: »
    *tries to discreetly hide maltesers family-size bag*
    *fails*

I am the same with those new cadbury marvellous bars, not the small one, oh no, the big one, all by myself. And biscuits. Damn it, I am my own worst enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I am the same with those new cadbury marvellous bars, not the small one, oh no, the big one, all by myself. And biscuits. Damn it, I am my own worst enemy.
    Frikkin biscuits! I blame the visitors, I never buy biscuits but the house has been full of them the last few weeks :o

Frikkin biscuits! I blame the visitors, I never buy biscuits but the house has been full of them the last few weeks :o

I always have a pack of digestives, but I am always nibbling them throughout the day now rather than just with a cuppa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

so fed up
    a is waking several times during the night now. Its the first time its been a regular occurence since she was about 3 weeks old. I blame my lack of routine skills. God help us when i start weaning. I'm so exhausted :(
    my exhausted state is also making me feel hurt by someone who i thought was a good friend. But theres a completely rational reason behind her behaviour, n i feel extra crap for being annoyed and feeling hurt. I wonder if i stopped moaning would i feel better :P

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

Funny thing today and last night, he was crying and hard to settle, and out of desperation/curiosity I offered him the boob - he took it! After four weeks of spitting out my nipple, screwing up his face and crying whenever he was offered the boob, he took it and stayed on for a good six or seven minutes and fell asleep. I don't know if he got much milk, I doubt it as I pumped straight after and had nearly 3oz, but it definitely settled him. Interesting. He wasn't in any way interested in the other boob, there's no nipple there to suck as it's so inverted, but if I can use one side as a settler, happy days.

You'd be surprised how much he may have taken! That little latch will also increase supply and improve let down! Keep offering you never know he might start to like it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

January wrote: »
    With my first two I never had to do controlled crying... Number 1 was spoiled and was in my bed until nearly 4... number 2 slept in her own bed from day 1 with no problems.

Number 3 never slept a day in her life until she was 15 months, I even let her fall asleep downstairs before transferring her upstairs and she was awake 4/5 times during the night too then.

At 15 months I had enough. The first night she cried for 1 hour, I went in every 5 mins for half an hour and every time I went in she just screamed louder so at 30 mins I decided to just let her cry... 30 mins later she was asleep and slept for the whole night. Night 2, I decided to buy a cot mobile, she'd never had one before. She cried for 45 mins (15 mins of that I was in at 5 mins intervals but same as night before was just worse when I tried to settle her).

Third night it took two rounds on the cot mobile (5 mins each turn so ten mins in total) and she was out cold.

Now, if she is teething or not well she will regress and it will take a day or two to get her back to routine but otherwise she has slept pretty much through the night since then. I will never look back and would never have advocated it on no. 1 & 2 but it totally worked for us, so all you can do is try!!

My 15month old is the same. Well, he used to fall asleep with us and we would then bring him into bed but now we have to bring him into bed and lie down with him. I thought at that age they would be too old to try that but obviously not :)

If I put a cot mobile up he would pull it down ha ha. And my big fear is that he will get that annoyed he will try climb out of the cot!!

lmullen wrote: »
    You'd be surprised how much he may have taken! That little latch will also increase supply and improve let down! Keep offering you never know he might start to like it!!

Did it again last night and he slept from 2.30 till 7.30! He still won't take the right side, so I may end up lopsided :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

A cot mobile is great, we can put J down in the cot, put it on and walk away. We have a wind up one so sometimes we have to wing it up 2 or 3 times but usually it works great and he falls asleep himself.

Nap time is a different story, he only wants to nap on me! I secretly like it because it!'s an excuse to get into bed for an hour or two and nap myself :)

My little lady slept from 6:30 yesterday evening until 4:40 this morning, then went back to sleep, had a little feed at 6ish until her brother woke her at 7:30. Which you are all wondering I suppose, what am I giving out about? She is now crying non stop as I am doing the housework because she is usually asleep at this time and this place is so small you have to keep on top of it all. I wish she would be happy to just have me talk to her and be in her rocker as I do dishes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'd say most people need interim trousers after birth as your body is a different shape. It used to drive me mental trying to get jeans as they either were too baggy on the leg or they wouldn't close, nothing in the middle!

It took nearly 9 months for my tummy to go back to its original ratio with the rest of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I used a hair bobbin for the button on my jeans until they would close again. Worked great when the belly belt got too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

Did it again last night and he slept from 2.30 till 7.30! He still won't take the right side, so I may end up lopsided :o

Brilliant! They are the best soother around! My lo feeds and the falls asleep on my breast like it was a pillow!
    Keep offering the right you never know!

lmullen wrote: »
    Brilliant! They are the best soother around! My lo feeds and the falls asleep on my breast like it was a pillow!
    Keep offering the right you never know!

My nipple is very inverted on the right side, and no amount of yanking it out seems to make it behave :) even after pumping for ten or fifteen minutes, as soon as the suction stops it disappears back in! There's literally nothing for him to get his mouth around; if he was able to understand that if he sucked it would pop out it might work but he just whinges when he tries to suck on nothing :o I'll keep trying though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My nipple is very inverted on the right side, and no amount of yanking it out seems to make it behave :) even after pumping for ten or fifteen minutes, as soon as the suction stops it disappears back in! There's literally nothing for him to get his mouth around; if he was able to understand that if he sucked it would pop out it might work but he just whinges when he tries to suck on nothing :o I'll keep trying though.

Let me know how you get on with this nikpmup. I'm inverted as well, and righty is a goner altogether after my previous attempt with a baby who got teeth 5 months ahead of the norm. Doctor reckons there is nothing for the ducts to connect to. Boo. Anyway, I was going to give it a go anyway on next baby, with just lefty... but was worried about what would happen to righty while I tried it. Hopefully the body can figure it out. :)

pwurple wrote: »
    Let me know how you get on with this nikpmup. I'm inverted as well, and righty is a goner altogether after my previous attempt with a baby who got teeth 5 months ahead of the norm. Doctor reckons there is nothing for the ducts to connect to. Boo. Anyway, I was going to give it a go anyway on next baby, with just lefty... but was worried about what would happen to righty while I tried it. Hopefully the body can figure it out. :)
    Apparently there's some tribe that only feeds from one side? And I've heard of people who've had mastectomies on one side and who feed from the other, so it can be done. Could you express from the right and feed from the left? That way you'd be even :) I've heard there is surgery to correct an inverted nipple, but I'm not sure if you can feed after it, I must find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭SnoozySuzie

I've been feeding from just the one side with no problems for 15 weeks .The first few weeks I was topping her up with 2 bottles a day because I was worried she wasn't getting enough but then she just decided she wasn't gonna drink from a bottle anymore? Was with the phn today and she told me she thriving to just continue feeding from the one so definitely keep it up nikpump.

Apparently there's some tribe that only feeds from one side? And I've heard of people who've had mastectomies on one side and who feed from the other, so it can be done. Could you express from the right and feed from the left? That way you'd be even :) I've heard there is surgery to correct an inverted nipple, but I'm not sure if you can feed after it, I must find out.

Naw, it's all scar tissue on the right, no nipple to speak of left there, so don't think I'll be able to express. That's reassuring though, I figured the body must be able to get around it.

A woke up every three hours on the dot last night, 18 mins past the hour.
    Drank a full 210ml bottle at half nine, woke at 12.18 and took 50mls, woke at 3.18 n took the rest, woke at 6.18 and took another bottle.
    This is the most she's been up during the night since she was born. I've heard there's a sleep regression at 4/5 months... if she's going through this and I have to go through the sleep regression again in a months time i'll cry... I want to delay putting her on solids but I don't know if i'll be able to keep it past the 17 weeks, she's just so hungry, and the sma just doesn't seem to be fulfilling her. at my most tired and desperate states, I tell myself i'm going to start on the hungry baby formula but then i'm afraid she'll get constipated and we'll be left with another problem.
    the phn said I can squeeze some juice from an orange into water n give that to her if she's constipated so I could have one of those bottles lying around.. still wary though.. but feeding every three hours, sometimes 2.5.. something must not be right with the formula

Just spoke to the phn and she said it's more than likely her teeth that has her unsettled.

loubian wrote: »
    A woke up every three hours on the dot last night, 18 mins past the hour.
    Drank a full 210ml bottle at half nine, woke at 12.18 and took 50mls, woke at 3.18 n took the rest, woke at 6.18 and took another bottle.
    This is the most she's been up during the night since she was born. I've heard there's a sleep regression at 4/5 months... if she's going through this and I have to go through the sleep regression again in a months time i'll cry... I want to delay putting her on solids but I don't know if i'll be able to keep it past the 17 weeks, she's just so hungry, and the sma just doesn't seem to be fulfilling her. at my most tired and desperate states, I tell myself i'm going to start on the hungry baby formula but then i'm afraid she'll get constipated and we'll be left with another problem.
    the phn said I can squeeze some juice from an orange into water n give that to her if she's constipated so I could have one of those bottles lying around.. still wary though.. but feeding every three hours, sometimes 2.5.. something must not be right with the formula

Just spoke to the phn and she said it's more than likely her teeth that has her unsettled.

It's very hard loubian, hugs. Yes, S has tooth problems at the mo, chewing the bejesus out of her fist and gnawing on me (not fun!)

Constipation is only a rare side effect, as long as you stick to the dose (some genius's don't) she should be fine, but you have to do what works for you both. Does she take a colic relief medicine? Some babies get colicy with hungrier formula's because they are thicker so it is harder to get up wind, that is one thing I would warn you. If she is on it already, she would probably be in a lot of pain with the thicker food, but if you feel it would suit ye, go for it.

Loubian, my PHN blamed teething for everything from fungal nappy rash, tummy upset to temperatures... She was obsessed with them! Even recently, we went down for a developmental check. I mentioned that she had started this spitting habit, and she said she must be teething. My daughter has had her full set of teeth for over a year already. :p

Hungry baby formula doesn't contain any more calories, it's just a different protein profile. It never helped my smallie sleep longer.

Maybe try cluster feeding in the evenings before bedtime for those growth spurts... Offer a feed every hour or so up until bedtime. It's hard, but these spurts only last a few days. Hang in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

hey fellow inverted nipplers....maybe you've already tried all these things but im inverted too and have been using nipple shields and breast shells..i find the shells good to heal sore nipples and create some bit of a shape and then the nipple shields create something for baba to hold onto..have a latch assist but doesnt seem to do the trick..as i said you've probably already tried these things but i said id just put it out there as i know its hard to manage!

clare82 wrote: »
    hey fellow inverted nipplers....maybe you've already tried all these things but im inverted too and have been using nipple shields and breast shells..i find the shells good to heal sore nipples and create some bit of a shape and then the nipple shields create something for baba to hold onto..have a latch assist but doesnt seem to do the trick..as i said you've probably already tried these things but i said id just put it out there as i know its hard to manage!

I have all those too lol! The latch assist does pull my nipple out, but the second the suctions off it goes back in, it doesn't really stay out long enough for him to suck on it. He doesn't seem to like the nipple shields, he spits them out :p For the next one I'm going to look into having my nipple fixed, not sure if it can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

My 12 month old is teething! Poor child, poor us :(
    He got two teeth in the space of a few days and now the bottom ones are coming through. He has six now with two coming out. Really difficult to get him to eat anything but soft cold food. Can't wait till he has all his teeth!!

My boy has just fallen asleep on my chest after being awake ALL day. I've never before seen a five week old baby with bags under his eyes. I'm afraid to try to put him in the Moses basket in case he wakes up. Guess I'm here for the next four hours or so :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Am wrecked. I know it's early days as little miss is only 4 days old but people keep telling me sleep when she is sleeping as I am breast feeding. Am finding that I can't do that though. Mind starts ticking over when I lie down. Trying to switch off is hard. She's so good and I'm sooo smitten but the headache I have now from tiredness is making it hard to focus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Roesy wrote: »
    Am wrecked. I know it's early days as little miss is only 4 days old but people keep telling me sleep when she is sleeping as I am feed. Am finding that I can't do that though. Mind starts ticking over when I lie down. Trying to switch off is hard. She's so good and I'm sooo smitten but the headache I have now from tiredness is making it hard to focus!

I used to be so tired I hallucinated... more than once!

It's a tough time for everyone but it doesn't last too long. People used to say that to me when I was so tired I couldn't stand and I wanted to slap them but it is true. All you can do is get through each day and try and sleep as much as possible! It is hard to switch off when you lie down though, I do remember that.

What saved me was my mum was off work as it was summer time and I used to go over to my parents place, feed the baby, hand him to her and then go up to her bed and sleep for an hour or two. It really worked because I knew my mum had the baby and he had been fed and I wasn't in my own home so I didn't feel like I needed to be doing things like cleaning etc. Also, I knew she would just wake me up if he got desperate for a breastfeed. Could you do anything like that?

Roesy wrote: »
    Am wrecked. I know it's early days as little miss is only 4 days old but people keep telling me sleep when she is sleeping as I am feed. Am finding that I can't do that though. Mind starts ticking over when I lie down. Trying to switch off is hard. She's so good and I'm sooo smitten but the headache I have now from tiredness is making it hard to focus!

Oh, me too Roesy! I found as soon as he went to sleep, I started washing/sterilising bottles, cleaning the kitchen, putting on a wash etc etc etc.... Then at night, instead of going to bed early I'd try to watch a bit of telly, then I was up half the night feeding/soothing/pumping! Nearly killed me! The baby blues/overwhelming sense of responsibility, as well as my own anxiety levels pushed me over the edge. I spent most of his first four weeks in tears.
    I don't know if it's getting easier, or I'm getting more used to it or if it just doesn't stress me out as much but it's starting to get easier. I've stopped expressing as of this week so it frees up some time and takes the pressure off.
    Try to have at least one snooze in the day while she's asleep, even if it's on the couch. I go back to bed after he's had his morning bottle, it means sometimes I might stay in bed till 11.30/12, but at least I get some kip!

Oh, me too Roesy! I found as soon as he went to sleep, I started washing/sterilising bottles, cleaning the kitchen, putting on a wash etc etc etc.... Then at night, instead of going to bed early I'd try to watch a bit of telly, then I was up half the night feeding/soothing/pumping! Nearly killed me! The baby blues/overwhelmKimiing sense of responsibility, as well as my own anxiety levels pushed me over the edge. I spent most of his first four weeks in tears.
    I don't know if it's getting easier, or I'm getting more used to it or if it just doesn't stress me out as much but it's starting to get easier. I've stopped expressing as of this week so it frees up some time and takes the pressure off.
    Try to have at least one snooze in the day while she's asleep, even if it's on the couch. I go back to bed after he's had his morning bottle, it means sometimes I might stay in bed till 11.30/12, but at least I get some kip!

I used to do that too, go to sleep again after her morning bottle n we'd get up at 10/11. Now I try n stay up after her morning feed because I feel like my day is gone then n with less than two months official mat leave left, want to make the most of my days Off. Mind that, we slept til 11 this morning, but we needed it.

Do you think you'd be able to fall asleep with background noise? My Dad n brother both suffer from racing minds going to sleep n they both put on the radio to help them sleep.. Maybe you could try sleep on the couch with the tv On in the background?

My lo is on an antibiotic :( she was snuffly n coughing so I brought her to the doc - said she has an upper airway infection but that it should go within a week.. It's been a week and she began pulling on her ear so I decided to start her on it.. ( gp gave me a delayed prescription). She's sleeping ok though n isn't too cranky, she just is exhausted. Hopefully she'll be back to herself soon :(

My wee man woke up at 9pm and has been awake and screaming since. He's only just fallen asleep now, at 2.20am. I'm losing my mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Thanks for the advice ladies. My oh has to head to work for a couple of hours today and my mum is going to call so I'll try to get some rest as well then. Oh did the middle of the night feed which great and bad at the same time as I woke an hour later soaked, guess my milk is well and truly in!!! Hoping that when her jaundice goes and we don't have to be clock watching the feeds as much that it might be easier then too. At the moment even if it takes an hour between feeding, changing, settling and then putting her back down my mind is thinking...if you get to sleep now you'll have 2 hours/ 1 1/2 hours etc!!!

Might try background noise actually Loubian. Had forgotten until you mentioned it, that for a good while a few years ago I had to sleep with the radio on low to help me sleep.

Advertisement