Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I used to play podcasts on my phone or I downloaded a white noise app which is good for soothing babies to sleep too. The waterfall sound made me want to pee though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I had/have the same problem. I used to fall asleep to QI playing really low in the background while pregnant and after I had him.he was so familiar with the theme tune and Stephen frys voice it used to calm him down as an infant haha!

I used to watch QI while feeding at the beginning but whenever the klaxon thing went off it used to scare him!

My cat used to sleep wrapped around my bump when pregnant so now I think the sound of purring soothes J - it is a relaxing sound anyway I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Roesy, I found sleeping in one of those JML-type bra tops or a loose nursing bra with breast pads saved me leaking all over the bed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I'm up since 4am thanks to my poor lil man and his stuffy nose. DH started a new job on Monday so I'm up all night with J and have him all day by myself while 18 weeks pregnant with low blood pressure. Think beds calling me.

• Advertisement

I'm up since 4am thanks to my poor lil man and his stuffy nose. DH started a new job on Monday so I'm up all night with J and have him all day by myself while 18 weeks pregnant with low blood pressure. Think beds calling me.

Definitely try to get into bed when your little fella has a nap.

My oh has an interview tomorrow for a job he could do with his eyes shut; we're hopeful he'll get it. While it would be brilliant if he did (he was made redundant last year) a teeney part if me is panicking about coping with a demanding newborn all day and doing the nights as well (if he's getting up for work I couldn't ask him to be awake half the night) It's been brilliant having him here 24/7 for the first few weeks, I really wouldn't have coped without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I think it's natural to slightly think to yourself if he doesn't get it I'll have help lookin after LO. My little guy is now flying around in his walker and so hard to baby proof everywhere, he pulls everything and nothin is safe. They don't get any less of a handful with time. And I'm dreading when he's walking fully I won't get to sit at all when he's awake

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Dear Jesus, I have so little to be annoyed about with my good eater and sleeper, but why can she not go 5 minutes without having to be in my arms. I just want to even go to the bathroom. I wouldn't mind if I chose to AP, but she is choosing for me :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my usual dream baby woke me at 3am and then daddy woke us both at 6,the tiredness!! after the school run we came home to bed!

Little man has hit his 6 week growth spurt, I think. He did nothing today except eat and sleep. Woke at 10pm and guzzled 5oz, and is just polishing off another 5oz bottle. Two days ago he was having 4oz every 4 hours. Hopefully his little belly is full enough that he'll sleep for a while, we're both shattered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

A is scratching the face off herself as she goes to sleep, wonder if it's just a habit or. If her face is actually really itchy ;/

loubian wrote: »
    A is scratching the face off herself as she goes to sleep, wonder if it's just a habit or. If her face is actually really itchy ;/

S does it too, it is part of discovery, they are getting control of their hands so they want to grip everything around them with them. Scratch mitts at the ready!

My lad does that too when he's hungry, he has sleep suits from mothercare and Dunnes that have a bit on the sleeve you can fold over to cover the hands.

I think I'll definitely try to start using mittens, though she likes having her arms n hands free so don't know how well it will go down!

Sharing a single bed with a baby doesn't really work, I'm hanging off the edge so I don't squash her!! Also have Thomas the tank engine theme tune on repeat in my head!

I think I'll definitely try to start using mittens, though she likes having her arms n hands free so don't know how well it will go down!

Sharing a single bed with a baby doesn't really work, I'm hanging off the edge so I don't squash her!! Also have Thomas the tank engine theme tune on repeat in my head!

Apparently mittens aren't recommended because they can eat them they can come off and choke on them. Sleep suits with the fold over hands are meant to be better. It also means you won't have to keep putting them back on! We got ours in Next. I'm not a huge fan of Dunnes' baby stuff. It has a weird fit on my strangely shaped boy.

J used to do it all the time, now he's moved on to playing with other body parts, his willy being number one favourite :)

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Apparently mittens aren't recommended because they can eat them they can come off and choke on them. Sleep suits with the fold over hands are meant to be better. It also means you won't have to keep putting them back on! We got ours in Next. I'm not a huge fan of Dunnes' baby stuff. It has a weird fit on my strangely shaped boy.

J used to do it all the time, now he's moved on to playing with other body parts, his willy being number one favourite :)

My favourite sleeper is a Next too because of the fold over mitts. I often use a large fitting sleeper with mitts tucked in so the only part of the mitt on display is the very top.

As for the willy thing MW, my guy is nearly 5 and still at that!!! Amazing how they are about certain things, any time I get S out of her tights/sleepsuit, her legs are kicking around like no ones business, it's as though she's thinking "Freedom!!!"

Yeah, the Next ones are great. Even though he doesn't scratch much now I still buy them for him to sleep in. He seems most comfortable in them. I like the cotton they use too.

Funny how they like to be free! We give J time with no nippy twice a day and it's when he is happiest. He kicks loads, then checks his willy is still attached, laughs and kicks some more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Dunnes stuff is tiny so I just don't bother shopping there at all anymore....by 8 weeks my little one was in 3-6month stuff and by 13 weeks 6-9 months!

Also while ranting why are movies@swords playing inappropriate movies for mums and babies....last week children being kidnapped, this week babies up for adoption in magdalene Hines???? Nice movies people.....please!

bp wrote: »
    Dunnes stuff is tiny so I just don't bother shopping there at all anymore....by 8 weeks my little one was in 3-6month stuff and by 13 weeks 6-9 months!

Also while ranting why are movies@swords playing inappropriate movies for mums and babies....last week children being kidnapped, this week babies up for adoption in magdalene Hines???? Nice movies people.....please!

I've wanted to go to mum and baby cinema but I didn't know what the set up is like.. Is it good? How old is your lo? Mine is three months and I'd love to get to the cinema now and again

I've wanted to go to mum and baby cinema but I didn't know what the set up is like.. Is it good? How old is your lo? Mine is three months and I'd love to get to the cinema now and again

I go nearly every week to Dundrum. It's great! Just park your buggy under the screen and sit baba on your lap. I took J first when he was about 8 weeks old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

It is really good. They usually turn the volume down and lights up. Little one sits on your lap. My one is almost nine months and we still go

I did NOT know about this!!! Blanchardstown and the Lighthouse cinema do it too.... Happy days!

I knew today would be a bad day. I feel like I have pmt but its too early... I was dancing around the room earlier n went on an hour walk.. How can my mood change so quickly... I'm sitting here crying because I ordered Chinese n paid for it by card, then they ring n say it's too far n that I won't be refunded for two ducking weeks.. I can't afford to buy another one so I've pizza in the oven. A has literally been screaming for the last hour after a feckin 10 minute cat nap n I couldn't work out why.. I gave her calpol n her medicine n tried to give her a bottle but she wouldn't take it.. Tried to put her to sleep, not a chance, she fights sleep so much, she ends up exhausted, I try my hardest to put her to sleep, baa baa black sheep is all that's come out of my mouth today, but she fights to get out of my arms. She eventually calmed down n I let her just stare into space n she's finally drifted off n I'm sitting with a dead arm n a pizza burning in the oven because I'm afraid if I put her down she'll wake up... Plus my new phone is SH*TE n I hate the fudgers who stole it even more.

/Rant

She woke up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

She woke up

Aww im sorry I have been right where you are right now. Its not fun it sucks! It gets better. ...I always found the day after a bad day was always a really good one. Its like he knew yesterday was rough and he should be extra good and eat and sleep easy just to give mom a break! I hope your pizza is still salvageable!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm about to fuçking lose it. My neighbours are playing loud music all night for the second time this week. I want to go out and say something to them but my husband is in Belfast and the noise is making Sam restless. I'm worried he'll wake up while I'm outside and can't hear him. I'm seething. If he wakes up I think I might bundle him up in a blanket and go nextdoor and kick some fuçking ass!

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I go nearly every week to Dundrum. It's great! Just park your buggy under the screen and sit baba on your lap. I took J first when he was about 8 weeks old

How much is it MW, with one lad in school, it would be nice to head to Dundrum and see something (haven't been to the cinema since the last Harry Potter film).

iguana wrote: »
    I'm about to fuçking lose it. My neighbours are playing loud music all night for the second time this week. I want to go out and say something to them but my husband is in Belfast and the noise is making Sam restless. I'm worried he'll wake up while I'm outside and can't hear him. I'm seething. If he wakes up I think I might bundle him up in a blanket and go nextdoor and kick some fuçking ass!

Ring the guards! I used to do this when my nightmare neighbours were at it, very politely and sweetly explain that you're a nurse who has to get up at 6am for a long shift ("those long shifts are a killer, aren't they guard!") and that you'd really appreciate it, if there's a car in the area if they'd swing by and ask the neighbours to keep it down. Thank you so much guard, I'm very grateful etc. Worked for me every time - The guards would be there within the half hour usually. A couple of calls like that and they'll knock it off.

The only thing is, the gardai cannot force them to stop. I have had that issue here a few times and apparently they can only ask them, but not force them to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

That's really hard. Had fierce hassle with a neighbour like that before when we lived in an apartment. The thoughts of dealing with it with a young child is awful!!

My moan is that my left breast is KILLING me! It's like a rock and sore despite me expressing the last three feeds. Right breast then feels normal and soft but only seems to be producing a tiny fraction of what the left is producing. Am far more tired this morning. This expressing is far more work than throwing her on the boob but I was so sore during the night the thoughts of latching her on was too much for me. Don't know is my very short career in breast feeding over :-(

Advertisement