Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We've got a neighbour who thinks his apartment is in Ibiza every weekend. He's not directly over us so while we hear it it's not too bad but very one all around him has small kids. The problem is no one will complain. I eventually complained to the property manager but I'm the only one and it's been going on since the summer. The other neighbours said they don't want to make any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    The only thing is, the gardai cannot force them to stop. I have had that issue here a few times and apparently they can only ask them, but not force them to.

True, but the guards turning up at the door might be enough to get them to realise they need to knock it on the head (in my case, the first time the guards arrived the neighbours laughed and turned up the volume after they'd left - the second time the guard wasn't as polite and they turned it off sharpish!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

How much is it MW, with one lad in school, it would be nice to head to Dundrum and see something (haven't been to the cinema since the last Harry Potter film).

It's €5.30 - a good price as they show new releases

Roesy wrote: »
    That's really hard. Had fierce hassle with a neighbour like that before when we lived in an apartment. The thoughts of dealing with it with a young child is awful!!

My moan is that my left breast is KILLING me! It's like a rock and sore despite me expressing the last three feeds. Right breast then feels normal and soft but only seems to be producing a tiny fraction of what the left is producing. Am far more tired this morning. This expressing is far more work than throwing her on the boob but I was so sore during the night the thoughts of latching her on was too much for me. Don't know is my very short career in breast feeding over :-(

Make sure to pump or feed on both sides to keep supply up, it's incredibly painful but keep going! I was expressing with my fist in my mouth to keep from squealing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SeventySix

nikpmup wrote: »
    Make sure to pump or feed on both sides to keep supply up, it's incredibly painful but keep going! I was expressing with my fist in my mouth to keep from squealing!!

Ah here. Keep it up if you want, but if you can't take it you can stop. You do whats right for you. Don't let tales of super human pain endurance make you feel bad. Its your baby, your boob, your pain, no one can ever tell you that you didnt do enough or put up with enough, to get them the breastmilk.

• Advertisement

The pumping/feeding is the best way to clear the blockage, I'm not advocating doing it just to be a hero! I had mastitis a couple of weeks ago, and the doc told me to drain the breast or it wouldn't clear. I'd LOVE to have just left it alone for a few days, trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Even with cows, if there is a block, you don't just leave it, you have to clear the block, that is the treatment. Not all treatments are painless sadly :(

The pumping/feeding is the best way to clear the blockage, I'm not advocating doing it just to be a hero! I had mastitis a couple of weeks ago, and the doc told me to drain the breast or it wouldn't clear. I'd LOVE to have just left it alone for a few days, trust me!

If its mastitis then yes. I dont think she has said that it is though. I would also say that if its not mastitis but just oversupply then some hand expressing to lessen the pressure before trying to latch or even express might help. ETA - a warm cloth on a too full breast can also help relieve pressure but the milk will run out of you probably.

While I see now that its not what you were saying, when i was breastfeeding my first I found though that there were so much of that grit you teeth type of advice, that i ended up with my boobs in tatters and my baby in hospital while not putting on weight(i had a lactation consultant, my phn and gp all involved) Breastfeeding is great but when its not working despite reasonable efforts, only the person themselves can decide if its worth it, and women need support which ever feeding method they choose.

SeventySix wrote: »
    If its mastitis then yes. I dont think she has said that it is though. I would also say that if its not mastitis but just oversupply then some hand expressing to lessen the pressure before trying to latch or even express might help.

While I see now that its not what you were saying, when i was breastfeeding my first I found though that there were so much of that grit you teeth type of advice, that i ended up with my boobs in tatters and my baby in hospital while not putting on weight(i had a lactation consultant, my phn and gp all involved) Breastfeeding is great but when its not working despite reasonable efforts, only the person themselves can decide if its worth it, and women need support which ever feeding method they choose.

Fair enough; I'm not a breastfeeding militant and I am very much of the opinion that you should do what suits you. However, two things: Roesy has reported on the breastfeeding support thread that she feels a bit fluey, which would suggest mastitis, for which she needs to keep draining the breast, and also I've just finished expressing. Me and my baby just couldn't get the hang of breastfeeding so I expressed exclusively for five weeks; I was really sad and guilty that I didn't feed and that I've stopped. It's the right decision for me, but I think that if I had more support/encouragement from the start I'd have succeeded. I'd hate to see Roesy or anyone else HAVE to give up feeding because she didn't get support/information/encouragement - of course, if she makes the choice to stop that's perfectly okay. Both me and my older sister gave up breastfeeding early because of lack of knowledge and support, she fed her second successfully, I'm hoping I'll be able to do likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I don't think any regular posters here would ever put a mum under pressure to breastfeed or continue breastfeeding. In general I think even 100% pro breastfeeding posters like me understand that a mum needs support and reassurance not guilt trips. Also we all have different family set ups and support networks so some mums may not want to/be able to breastfeed or continue and posters on this forum are generally mindful of that and are respectful.

I always avoid the breastfeeding arguments like the plague as they never end well. Each to their own is my motto! Especially since I had my second child and my principles have been diluted by reality ha ha!!

• Advertisement

I understand that I am not a regular poster but lots of people that read this page might just be dipping in and out like me and to be fair I think it wasnt unreasonable of me to take this advice (in isolation, not being familiar with the poster and before her clarification) as being a little 'suck it up'.

It says to express despite the pain to 'keep supply up' rather than to 'clear a blockage which will reduce the pain eventually' which i later found was actually what the poster meant.

I was just trying to be supportive to the original poster by saying that if you dont feel like taking immense amounts of pain to keep supply up you dont have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Sam woke just after I posted this and as I settled him the music stopped, so I put him back to sleep and lay down myself. Of course just as I closed my eyes it started up again so I took a chance and ran nextdoor. They were immediately really apologetic and stopped playing. To be fair to them they were over on the other side of their house and didn't realise the sound was travelling enough for me to hear it. They are actually quite nice guys, our lives are just at very different stages.

That realisation has actually left me a little bit depressed, tbh. A few years ago I lived in London, had a surprisingly cool job for a charity where I sometimes worked with celebrities and top politicians, I once ran a fundraiser in a Leicester Square club that had Oscar winning actors in attendance and I did tv appearances on occasion. Now I'm a stay at home mother, living in a rented bungalow in Limerick across the road from my parents, standing in my musician neighbours garden at 3am in my dressing-gown asking them to keep the music down. I love my life with Sam, I've honestly never been happier, but sometimes I want to scream, "I used to be cool" and then I wonder if the kids even say 'cool' any more. :(

I think most mothers go through some form of that Iguana. I never had a cool job like you had, but even something like being involved in different things, it is all pretty much gone now. I sit at home on the computer rather than out doing all the stuff I used adore, it really upsets me some days, not that I would change Aidan and Saoirse for the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think most mothers go through some form of that Iguana. I never had a cool job like you had, but even something like being involved in different things, it is all pretty much gone now. I sit at home on the computer rather than out doing all the stuff I used adore, it really upsets me some days, not that I would change Aidan and Saoirse for the world.

I meant to click quote instead of edit on that sorry!

I know totally what you mean though, I communicate with my friends through the laptop :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

iguana wrote: »
    Sam woke just after I posted this and as I settled him the music stopped, so I put him back to sleep and lay down myself. Of course just as I closed my eyes it started up again so I took a chance and ran nextdoor. They were immediately really apologetic and stopped playing. To be fair to them they were over on the other side of their house and didn't realise the sound was travelling enough for me to hear it. They are actually quite nice guys, our lives are just at very different stages.

That realisation has actually left me a little bit depressed, tbh. A few years ago I lived in London, had a surprisingly cool job for a charity where I sometimes worked with celebrities and top politicians, I once ran a fundraiser in a Leicester Square club that had Oscar winning actors in attendance and I did tv appearances on occasion. Now I'm a stay at home mother, living in a rented bungalow in Limerick across the road from my parents, standing in my musician neighbours garden at 3am in my dressing-gown asking them to keep the music down. I love my life with Sam, I've honestly never been happier, but sometimes I want to scream, "I used to be cool" and then I wonder if the kids even say 'cool' any more. :(

Well I think you're cool!

When James was born I went through that a bit (I had nowhere near as cool a lifestyle as you describe though). When he was about 18 months old I started finding I had some time on my hands in the evenings and I was back being me again. I took up hobbies I'd been thinking about for years. I got a new job I loved too. It will come around again.

The baby stage really puts a stop to a lot, but after a couple of years you can be back. Maybe a little slower than before, all right, but back!

SeventySix wrote: »
    I understand that I am not a regular poster but lots of people that read this page might just be dipping in and out like me and to be fair I think it wasnt unreasonable of me to take this advice (in isolation, not being familiar with the poster and before her clarification) as being a little 'suck it up'.

It says to express despite the pain to 'keep supply up' rather than to 'clear a blockage which will reduce the pain eventually' which i later found was actually what the poster meant.

I was just trying to be supportive to the original poster by saying that if you dont feel like taking immense amounts of pain to keep supply up you dont have to.

Ah, I think there's loads of crossed wires here! I advised to pump to keep up supply because Roesy was concerned that her unblocked breast wasn't producing as much milk as it had been. My answer SHOULD have said pump the blocked breast like billyo to clear the blockage, but don't forget to pump (or feed) on the other side as well to keep up supply in that breast - so that if she chose to continue feeding after the blockage/mastitis cleared that she'd still have plenty of milk. I'm not a breastfeeding nazi at all!

I think all this talk of blockage may have jinxed me; even though I stopped expressing and THOUGHT I had stopped producing milk I have a blocked duct today. Used the hand pump for two minutes and pumped 2oz! That's more than I had when I was feeding him! #weirdbodilyfunctions!

iguana wrote: »

Ah, I used to be cool too. 'Twasn't too long ago being up all night was due to afterparties in warehouses, not a wailing baby. 'Twasn't too long ago that I had a little waist and big boobs clad in tight tees, skinny jeans & converse; now I've big blue veined leaky boobs, a big wobbly belly and huge arse dressed in stained penneys pyjamas. 'Twasn't too long ago that I'd be the one apologising to irate neighbours in their dressing gowns :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

How do you get a baby that blatantly refuses to sleep.. To sleep? Pulling my hair out because she's exhausted but she just won't go asleep.. Feel like screaming..

loubian wrote: »
    How do you get a baby that blatantly refuses to sleep.. To sleep? Pulling my hair out because she's exhausted but she just won't go asleep.. Feel like screaming..

It's the most annoying thing about them, they all do that from time to time. They just cry and cry because they are exhausted rather than just sleeping :( I usually have to put S in her rocker after a feed, with a blanket on and rock her to sleep, but she usually cries for 10 min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

The pumping/feeding is the best way to clear the blockage,

+1! I haven't read the full thread just nip in and out. But yes Roesy try keep this up its the best way to clear a blocked duct. Bejaysus it's sore. If you can tolerate baby latching on this is even better than expressing. I also found a flannel soaked in hot water and put over the breast was very soothing. U can also do this while expressing as the heat will dilate the vessels. I found this great.

If its a mastitis however, you probably should be on an antibiotic. Check your temp and see your doctor if you think it's a mastitis as opposed to a blocked duct. Poor thing. It's awful sore.

As I said... I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has all been said.

• Advertisement

Walking the floor with him on my shoulder, patting and rubbing his back....into the car for a drive....cradling him and looking at him while saying shhhh...shhhhh.... over and over..... swing chair..... Playing the same piece of classical music over and over in the hope that he'll eventually associate the melody with sleeping (I play it every time I put him down, cranky or settled, I've no idea if it'll work, just one of my weird theories :p)(and it's Chopin's Nocturne Op 9 no 2 in case you were wondering!) white noise....Eventually something will work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Ladies, thanks for the advice about the breast. Think it is/was a blocked duct. I tried the hot flannel thing and massaged the breast which provided some relief and was able to feed herself earlier. Breast feels almost normal now thank god but I'll keep an eye on it.

My beautiful, placid little girl has turned into a ball of rage today. She cannot be consoled. She has slept very little but fed a lot and dozed off on the breast each time but everytime we try to put her down she cries and rages. My poor husband is walking the floors. Every time he stops she starts. I was sent to bed a couple of hours ago because I was hanging with exhaustion over having so little sleep last night with the pumping. Can't sleep from worrying about what's wrong with herself and my husband keeps saying 'you'll have to sleep!' It's not like I'm awake on purpose. After 2 hours in bed now I feel more rested but have a feeling it's going to be a very long night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Only 2 more weeks and I return to sleepless nights . :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I used to be cool too, now I like to talk about poo and things!

Loubian, what time of day will she not sleep? Is it during the day or night? If day I recommend a walk, bundle her up and get her out of the house. It works for us, calms us both down and he'll sleep a bit. Yeah, it means yoi won't get a rest but you're not resting anyway if she's crying

Roesy wrote: »
    Ladies, thanks for the advice about the breast. Think it is/was a blocked duct. I tried the hot flannel thing and massaged the breast which provided some relief and was able to feed herself earlier. Breast feels almost normal now thank god but I'll keep an eye on it.

My beautiful, placid little girl has turned into a ball of rage today. She cannot be consoled. She has slept very little but fed a lot and dozed off on the breast each time but everytime we try to put her down she cries and rages. My poor husband is walking the floors. Every time he stops she starts. I was sent to bed a couple of hours ago because I was hanging with exhaustion over having so little sleep last night with the pumping. Can't sleep from worrying about what's wrong with herself and my husband keeps saying 'you'll have to sleep!' It's not like I'm awake on purpose. After 2 hours in bed now I feel more rested but have a feeling it's going to be a very long night.

Is she coming up on her 10 day growth spurt? Could be making her hungry & cranky, or it could be wind - make sure she's well winded, esp after the bottle. Try not to worry, babies cry a lot for no apparent reason! (My lad just woke himself up with a fart and is now crying!)

I was told today to tell my daughter to grow her hair more.. Can anyone actually be that stupid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Is it wrong to spend most of the day looking forward to bedtime? I feel like I spend all week working, waiting to spend some time with my little one but then at the weekend, I end up spending the day stressed out as I try to keep her from destroying the house and/or herself while I catch up on washing and shopping and cooking and all the things I couldn't do during the week. I'm exhausted and just counting down the hours until I have a bit of time to myself but then I feel guilty for not treasuring the few days I do get to spend at home with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

It's not wrong I do that when DS is bad with the teething. Which is today he won't eat for me so roll on bed time

I was told today to tell my daughter to grow her hair more.. Can anyone actually be that stupid?

Your daughter has gorgeous long hair for a 4 month old. My girl has very light hair and little of it.

• Advertisement

1) A has begun screaming like a tinker, on the top of her lungs, just squealing, she thinks it's hilarious. I don't. It's in irritating n it's so loud and argh it annoys me so much. N she's too young to understand stop or no! I'm not looking forward to when she starts acting out on purpose.
    '
    2) why do they make baby medicine ducking lemon flavor? A will not take it n is spitting it out n will not get better n I'll be left with a constant moaning sick baby.

Advertisement