Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Your daughter has gorgeous long hair for a 4 month old. My girl has very light hair and little of it.

Her dad thinks her hair is too short so wants me to do something about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

loubian wrote: »
    1) A has begun screaming like a tinker, on the top of her lungs, just squealing, she thinks it's hilarious. I don't. It's in irritating n it's so loud and argh it annoys me so much. N she's too young to understand stop or no! I'm not looking forward to when she starts acting out on purpose.
    '
    2) why do they make baby medicine ducking lemon flavor? A will not take it n is spitting it out n will not get better n I'll be left with a constant moaning sick baby.

Not sure what age she is but if on solids try put it in food. Our daughter has been on 2 antibiotics lately and between them and giving calpol or nurofen she runs when she see's a syringe or white calpol spoon coming.

Suucee wrote: »
    Not sure what age she is but if on solids try put it in food. Our daughter has been on 2 antibiotics lately and between them and giving calpol or nurofen she runs when she see's a syringe or white calpol spoon coming.

She's three months n thought using a syringe would be easier but it's not but the medicine is too runny for a spoon so it'll go everywhere anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Oh god you must have the patience of a saint loubian... I'd have ordered a hit on him by now!:o

Tell him you'll get her extensions if he'll pay for them :P

Oh god you must have the patience of a saint loubian... I'd have ordered a hit on him by now!:o

Tell him you'll get her extensions if he'll pay for them :P

Has he never seen a baby before??? A has a little tuft on the top of heh head, she actually has a lot of hair for her age! Just coz he's got an afro hers is too short...

I think I use up my patience on him trying not to retaliate to his stupid ways n A gets the worn out me to deal with when she's worn out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Well................Yeah, definitely the funniest/most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Better invest in a tub of miracle gro and a water can!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

Oh sweet jebus. That's quite possibly the most retarded thing I've ever read. Like, what exactly is the 'something' that you're supposed to do??? He's an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Did he tell you to shave it? That might have been what he meant by "do something about it". It's common for non white babies apparently. My husband's family tried to get me to take J to a barber when he was about 5 weeks old. His culture shave the babies head so it grows back better and thicker (and it's a kind of ceremony thing). Luckily they weren't too persistent. I'm polite about cultural things but that would have happened over my dead body.

J has loads of hair as well, more than some of our adult male friends!

It can be awkward when other people involved with the baby are used to different ways etc (I'm right that the dad is not Irish, right? You mentioned an Afro). My in laws think our baby is so pale and everyone else thinks he's dark. They're obsessed with telling me how pale he is. I just change the subject!

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Did he tell you to shave it? That might have been what he meant by "do something about it". It's common for non white babies apparently. My husband's family tried to get me to take J to a barber when he was about 5 weeks old. His culture shave the babies head so it grows back better and thicker (and it's a kind of ceremony thing). Luckily they weren't too persistent. I'm polite about cultural things but that would have happened over my dead body.

J has loads of hair as well, more than some of our adult male friends!

It can be awkward when other people involved with the baby are used to different ways etc (I'm right that the dad is not Irish, right? You mentioned an Afro). My in laws think our baby is so pale and everyone else thinks he's dark. They're obsessed with telling me how pale he is. I just change the subject!

I wasn't in the room, my mam was but he text me after saying tell her (Annabelle) to grow more hair coz her dad has loads! No way in hell am I shaving A's head!!! She has hair. I'm not getting rid of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I wasn't in the room, my mam was but he text me after saying tell her (Annabelle) to grow more hair coz her dad has loads! No way in hell am I shaving A's head!!! She has hair. I'm not getting rid of it!

Wow.....anyway he was being sarcastic??? Doubtful I know from what you've said though.

• Advertisement

bp wrote: »
    Wow.....anyway he was being sarcastic??? Doubtful I know from what you've said though.

No I don't think he was because I told him A has plenty of time to grow hair n his response was "ok we'll see what happens to her hair"! Ha!

Yeah, sounds like he's not used to mixed babies. It sounds like he thought it might be funny to me though, maybe trying to connect himself to her by calling himself her dad and wanting her to be more like him? I get a few funny things like that from my in laws (like calling J his full name and hyphenating it as his middle name is from their culture - drives me mad)

You think he'd think and engage the brain before texting you about it though!

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Yeah, sounds like he's not used to mixed babies. It sounds like he thought it might be funny to me though, maybe trying to connect himself to her by calling himself her dad and wanting her to be more like him? I get a few funny things like that from my in laws (like calling J his full name and hyphenating it as his middle name is from their culture - drives me mad)

You think he'd think and engage the brain before texting you about it though!

That could be it. He's African so he could have that ritual as well! I never knew about it!

I think he was trying to be funny, but I didn't find it very funny :-P he never uses his brain, he has called A "it" and a "thing" then says stuff like she is blood not a thing n has text me from unknown numbers but actually saying hi loubian.. So I know it's him! Have to constantly remind myself that I'm doing this for A!

That could be it. He's African so he could have that ritual as well! I never knew about it!

I think he was trying to be funny, but I didn't find it very funny :-P he never uses his brain, he has called A "it" and a "thing" then says stuff like she is blood not a thing n has text me from unknown numbers but actually saying hi loubian.. So I know it's him! Have to constantly remind myself that I'm doing this for A!

Exactly - for better for worse he is her Dad. She's what matters! You're both doing your best and that's all you can so.

I wouldn't find it funny either (obviously our babies are perfect!). but I can kind of see how he might think it was. I've just learned to ignore comments from my in laws about J's skin or hair. He's the image of my husband (everyone says it) but they think he's just like my side of the family, because they're not looking past the fact that he's much paler then them.my husband gets so frustrated about it because he loves that J is so like him but what can you do? They're not used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

My little one snores so loudly I cannot hear the radio!! Not a rant really just amusing me....snores louder than daddy at nine months...I hope it doesn't increase in volume with time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

One of my neighbours who is Eastern European told me to do nothing to my daughters hair until she is a year old and then shave it off. Like hell! She said it makes the hair come back straight and thick like her daughters. Now her daughter has straight hair, but thick it is not. I have thick hair, I know I was not as bald as a coot at 12 months!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

A baby toupee or wig perhaps?

ngbbs4633d3045f815.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My dad was tasked with giving my brothers head a shave while my mam took myself and my sister shopping. He was left with my baby sister (2/3 years at the time) too. Strict instructions to do a number 2 with the head shaver all over his head.

My mam gets back from shopping and out pops my brother from behind the door, completely bald... dad had forgotten to put the head on the shaver... she cried... it was much worse when my sister popped out behind him with a bald head too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm back to work tomorrow :S

Life is going to get even more hectic! I just hope A starts sleeping a bit better at night as I'll be like the walking dead otherwise.

I'm off to bed soon to try get some sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Best of luck How Strange.

Im back a month now and I wish I could say it's getting easier :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Nead21 wrote: »
    Best of luck How Strange.

Im back a month now and I wish I could say it's getting easier :-(

Oh stop! I'm back next week too and have constant butterflies thinking about it. We still don't get a full nights sleep and have a baby who likes to wske up at 5:30am. I honestly don't think I'm up to doing my job anymore! Good luck tomorrow how strange...hope you at least get some sleep tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Best of luck How Strange - I'm already dreading going back to work, I'm not back till April! I've already told himself he has to send me back pregnant so I won't be back for long :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

nikpmup wrote: »
    I've already told himself he has to send me back pregnant so I won't be back for long :P

Haha... That's exactly what I did! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

not in a million years would I go back to it. 1 is enough for me. I can go without a lot but not sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

January wrote: »
    My dad was tasked with giving my brothers head a shave while my mam took myself and my sister shopping. He was left with my baby sister (2/3 years at the time) too. Strict instructions to do a number 2 with the head shaver all over his head.

My mam gets back from shopping and out pops my brother from behind the door, completely bald... dad had forgotten to put the head on the shaver... she cried... it was much worse when my sister popped out behind him with a bald head too.

I have almost peed myself laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

yellow hen wrote: »
    Oh stop! I'm back next week too and have constant butterflies thinking about it. We still don't get a full nights sleep and have a baby who likes to wske up at 5:30am. I honestly don't think I'm up to doing my job anymore! Good luck tomorrow how strange...hope you at least get some sleep tonight!

The sunday night before my first day back, É woke up so many times. It was awful. He's settled a bit but some nights are terrible. He wakes between 6 and half 6 each morning. We get up shortly after as even though we both work about 20 mins from home, it's a military operation between myself and my husband to get out the door.

I think I'm finding it extra hard as I've started a new job so I feel extra stressed. I'm hoping things will settle down and at least Christmas is around the cornor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

The night before I went back to work was sn awful night for me too. Seb was up more than usual-I think he knew something wss going on and could feel my anxiety!
    You know though once you get into the swing of it, going to work is grand. ..its actually a break! I get to pee by myself and have a hot cup of tea and a proper lunch and adult conversation! A hell of a lot easier than taking care of baby all day! (Although I do miss him a bit during the day! But the seperation lets me enjoy him more! )
    The sunday night before my first day back, É woke up so many times. It was awful. He's settled a bit but some nights are terrible. He wakes between 6 and half 6 each morning. We get up shortly after as even though we both work about 20 mins from home, it's a military operation between myself and my husband to get out the door.

I think I'm finding it extra hard as I've started a new job so I feel extra stressed. I'm hoping things will settle down and at least Christmas is around the cornor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I'm starting a new job in two weeks too. I've wanted this job for a long time so am a mixture of excitement, nerves and worry going in off the back of maternity leave!

Really worried about how much time I'm going to have with her though. It's in Dublin City so I'm bussing it which means gone early and back late, not long before her bedtime. Luckily my husband works very close to home and granny is around to drop and collect to childminder. Very sad when I get thinking about it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Well I think you're cool!

Thanks!:D

I've been thinking about this a bit for the last few days. I think a good bit of what I'm feeling is because we've decided to start looking at houses to buy in Limerick and, while I 100% believe it's the right decision for our family, it's made me a bit nostalgic for when I lived in a much bigger city. I know we'll have a better, more relaxed lifestyle with way less financial pressure but I did love lots about living in London and every so often the old saying 'if you're tired of London, you're tired of life,' pops into my head and while I know that's not true, I know my 'cool years' are behind me. Hell, I've just made a person who will in a few short years be 100% convinced that never did a less cool person than me ever exist.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

iguana wrote: »
    Thanks!:D

I've been thinking about this a bit for the last few days. I think a good bit of what I'm feeling is because we've decided to start looking at houses to buy in Limerick and, while I 100% believe it's the right decision for our family, it's made me a bit nostalgic for when I lived in a much bigger city. I know we'll have a better, more relaxed lifestyle with way less financial pressure but I did love lots about living in London and every so often the old saying 'if you're tired of London, you're tired of life,' pops into my head and while I know that's not true, I know my 'cool years' are behind me. Hell, I've just made a person who will in a few short years be 100% convinced that never did a less cool person than me ever exist.:rolleyes:

My kids are going to be mortified by me. I've accepted it now and plan to play on this for my own amusement. :D

I'm in love with London myself. I haven't lived there but I've spent about 6 months in total there since I was 16. Everytime I go I daydream about living there, but I always have to wake up in the end. Maybe I'll win Euromillions. :p

Advertisement