Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

loubian wrote: »
    Do you ever have nights when you're so tired you cry at anything, get annoyed at silliest things, then get paranoid you're developing pnd n then I'm in the morning you feel fine n you wonder what the hell that was all about?

Yes. Or when the baby is crying and won't settle and all you can go is snap at himself and then the baby stops crying and your brain starts working again and you have to apologise. Thankfully he's let it go this far. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

It's Baltic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

lmullen wrote: »
    Spent too much time out of the house today.. Got home with 2 screaming babies to dog wee on the floor :-( A wouldn't eat anything I tried to feed her for dinner just kept crying - changed her nappy to discover the nastiest dirty nappy (no smell) and painful looking nappy rash. Had changed her frequently enough all day as she's teething! Eventually got her settled whilst trying to breastfeed C but she was fusing constantly! Whilst changing her nappy she poohed on the changing table and the projectile vomited everywhere. Got her clean and fed and fed myself. A wakes up screaming with a damp nappy and freezing cold cos she keeps taking her sleeping bag off takes half an hour to calm down and back to bed and now C is cluster feeding. I think it's going to be a long night.

Sorry for the rant!

No apology needed, esp on this thread! That sounds like one of those days where you just want to press the pause button for a while to regroup.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

nikpmup wrote: »
    No apology needed, esp on this thread! That sounds like one of those days where you just want to press the pause button for a while to regroup.

They did both go on to sleep all night and we had a great day at the zoo yesterday!
    Although now C is awake at 4am. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

lmullen wrote: »
    They did both go on to sleep all night and we had a great day at the zoo yesterday!
    Although now C is awake at 4am. :-(

I was there this morning. 4am... And himself was up a few hours earlier to settle the two of them (just with their dummies). We just keep smiling and pretending we're not ready to fall over from tiredness. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My wagon was awake at 4, back to sleep at 6 meaning I had no time to go back to sleep before everyone up for the day and is asleep since!!!!

Just off the phone with the MIL. Seriously am going to have an aneurysm. When I got Aidan a scooter earlier this year for mastering the potty, I was met with "they're so dangerous, you should have gotten him a bike" So now for xmas Santa is getting him a bike and I am met with "Oh God, he is too young, he'll kill himself" :rolleyes: I was expecting it, but it is still funny to listen to.

So with his bike, he is obviously getting a helmet and his dad and I are getting him an Angry Birds toy. I told her that "What, you're getting him another toy too, he's getting too much" He gets nothing from anyone else, they all put money into different accounts for when he is older, which is great, for when he is older but it means he has very few toys. She also didn't want us getting Saoirse ANYTHING, nothing at all. "She's too young" I told her I bought her a play gym "There's one in the garage" It has mould "I'll wash it off" there are no toys on it "Sure what would she want them for" My poor little angel, she has done nothing wrong in this world and that old bat hates her! :( Not to mention, if she got nothing from Santa Aidan would be wondering. I know kids getting loads of presents for xmas, and people are telling me not to get my children 2 each :(

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    My wagon was awake at 4, back to sleep at 6 meaning I had no time to go back to sleep before everyone up for the day and is asleep since!!!!

Just off the phone with the MIL. Seriously am going to have an aneurysm. When I got Aidan a scooter earlier this year for mastering the potty, I was met with "they're so dangerous, you should have gotten him a bike" So now for xmas Santa is getting him a bike and I am met with "Oh God, he is too young, he'll kill himself" :rolleyes: I was expecting it, but it is still funny to listen to.

So with his bike, he is obviously getting a helmet and his dad and I are getting him an Angry Birds toy. I told her that "What, you're getting him another toy too, he's getting too much" He gets nothing from anyone else, they all put money into different accounts for when he is older, which is great, for when he is older but it means he has very few toys. She also didn't want us getting Saoirse ANYTHING, nothing at all. "She's too young" I told her I bought her a play gym "There's one in the garage" It has mould "I'll wash it off" there are no toys on it "Sure what would she want them for" My poor little angel, she has done nothing wrong in this world and that old bat hates her! :( Not to mention, if she got nothing from Santa Aidan would be wondering. I know kids getting loads of presents for xmas, and people are telling me not to get my children 2 each :(

You are their mother! Get them whatever the hell you want!

You are their mother! Get them whatever the hell you want!

I know, but we go to hers for Xmas, so it will be a pain to listen to.

I know, but we go to hers for Xmas, so it will be a pain to listen to.

Will you be staying there Christmas eve?

Will you be staying there Christmas eve?

for the bones of a week! Yip-pee(!) *waves little flag slowly*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I get that all the time too, oh he gets so much, what more toys!!!! Poor J has hardly any toys, but im made feel guilty if i buy him something, he doesnt have half as much as my niece and nephew got and most of them from me i might add, but where are all those toys now J is here, oh they gave them to charity!!!!!! dumped them more like!!! did they not think of poor J, oh no why would they!!!!! (rant over phew!!!!)

for the bones of a week! Yip-pee(!) *waves little flag slowly*

As hard as I know it will be, try brush it off! This is probably aidans first Christmas that he properly understands yeah? Don't let her ruin it! Get as much toys as you see fit! She's the one ruining her chances of enjoying her grandchildren's lives by moaning about everything!

That's the kind of sh*te that would make me go out and buy the kids a pony and a car :D

Have they grandparents on your side? Or generous aunties/uncles who can buy them both a fancy schmancy present to show her up on Christmas morning?

My eyes are hanging out of my head I'm so exhausted

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Thought the stupid middle of the night pooing was over and had started putting S to bed earlier for the last couple of nights. 4am wide awake and upset with a poo. Took 'til after 6am to get him back to sleep. I'm exhausted and we have a two hour bus journey ahead of us to my inlaws. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I couldn't imagine dealing with a poo nappy at 4 in the mornin thankfully J does his after breakfast and at the latest lunch.

For me it's the lack of sleep I'm starting to think he'll never get back to what he was before teething began. Two bottles a night at 7 months old is crazy. Scaring me more that another 4 and a half month's and I'll be preparing for my second baby. Can see it now one goes to sleep one wakes up

I'm gonna have a melt down if I can't help DS to sleep I'm the next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My poor little chicken has reflux :( I've been v tearful the last day or two because it's rotten seeing her so miserable and unable to sleep. Worried how I'll cope when himself goes back to work on Monday and he's worried that I seem upset and a bit down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Roesy wrote: »
    My poor little chicken has reflux :( I've been v tearful the last day or two because it's rotten seeing her so miserable and unable to sleep. Worried how I'll cope when himself goes back to work on Monday and he's worried that I seem upset and a bit down.

My LO had silent reflux and it was awful, just a horrible horrible time. You have my sympathies. We tried everything and he ended up on Losec twice a day, after a visit to the peadiatrician in the hospital. I didn't want to medicate him but it really was the only thing that helped us and meant I (and him) got some sleep. There was one stage where I was so out of it and tired I started hallucinating. I know all babies get reflux to a degree but my advice is definitely seek help if it seems really bad. He started on the losec at 6 weeks and it took a few weeks to get the dose right. After that we were flying! It's hard to see your baby in pain like that. He used to be writhing in agony at night.

He's 5 months now and we stopped the losec about 3 weeks ago and the reflux seems to be gone (he is on solids already too). He's like a different baby now, it's a lovely age compared to the awful slog the first 3/4 months were. It does get better :)

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    My LO had silent reflux and it was awful, just a horrible horrible time. You have my sympathies. We tried everything and he ended up on Losec twice a day, after a visit to the peadiatrician in the hospital. I didn't want to medicate him but it really was the only thing that helped us and meant I (and him) got some sleep. There was one stage where I was so out of it and tired I started hallucinating. I know all babies get reflux to a degree but my advice is definitely seek help if it seems really bad. He started on the losec at 6 weeks and it took a few weeks to get the dose right. After that we were flying! It's hard to see your baby in pain like that. He used to be writhing in agony at night.

He's 5 months now and we stopped the losec about 3 weeks ago and the reflux seems to be gone (he is on solids already too). He's like a different baby now, it's a lovely age compared to the awful slog the first 3/4 months were. It does get better :)

The doctor wasn't much help today to be honest so it's nice to get some perspective from a parent whose been through it. She basically just said if she's comfortable upright then keep her as upright as possible and that by 16-20 weeks it should right itself. Our little one appears to have silent reflux too and has symptoms of it from birth really I suppose. It's so hard when her eyes are falling out of her head from tiredness and within 15 mins of putting her down asleep she's awake and in a heap.

The doctor wasn't much help today to be honest so it's nice to get some perspective from a parent whose been through it. She basically just said if she's comfortable upright then keep her as upright as possible and that by 16-20 weeks it should right itself. Our little one appears to have silent reflux too and has symptoms of it from birth really I suppose. It's so hard when her eyes are falling out of her head from tiredness and within 15 mins of putting her down asleep she's awake and in a heap.

I know, it's awful. My LO would wake up a lot at night but also when he was asleep he'd be thrashing about making loads of noise.

Was it your GP? Because that doesn't sound great at all. Of course it makes sense to keep her upright as much as possible but how is she supposed to get any sleep then? I struggled loads because the health sector scare the crap out of you with talk of cot death and putting them to sleep on their back but what if they just can't sleep that way? We tried all the usual stuff, wedge pillow under the cot, keeping him upright after meals etc Lots of nights he slept on my chest or in this rocker thing we have because it kept him slightly upright.

When I saw the doctor in Holles St I expected him to be dismissive and tell me it would go away by 4/5 months but he was so good. He just said we couldn't continue that way and as we had tried everything else (including infant Gaviscon) he would prescribe the losec. My GP (who is fantastic) was very reluctant to prescribe anything on such a young baby so he wanted me to see a paediatrician. I happened to have an appointment in the baby clinic anyway for something else so it worked out well. I would definite seek further advice if it continues to be bad.

• Advertisement

Yep, my own gp. Olivia is mainly breastfed and she said that gaviscon is easier to give to bottlefed babies so she kind of dismissed that option. She said get a sling and line up some good DVDs be prepared to spend a lot of time keeping her upright and comfortable and feeding when she demands it looking for comfort. She's asleep on my chest at the moment and I'm loathe to try and move her.

Yep, my own gp. Olivia is mainly breastfed and she said that gaviscon is easier to give to bottlefed babies so she kind of dismissed that option. She said get a sling and line up some good DVDs be prepared to spend a lot of time keeping her upright and comfortable and feeding when she demands it looking for comfort. She's asleep on my chest at the moment and I'm loathe to try and move her.

Yeah, I was breastfeeding and it was tough to get the Gaviscon into J. It didn't work anyway, when we did manage to get it into him. He did feed a lot with it too which was of course, more tiring for me as I found breastfeeding very draining at the best of times. J slept on my chest a lot for a while and I used to get very worried about it but I learned that whatever you have to do to get some sleep, do it!

It would be great for you if keeping her upright is enough but it definitely wasn't for us.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Yeah, I was breastfeeding and it was tough to get the Gaviscon into J. It didn't work anyway, when we did manage to get it into him. He did feed a lot with it too which was of course, more tiring for me as I found breastfeeding very draining at the best of times. J slept on my chest a lot for a while and I used to get very worried about it but I learned that whatever you have to do to get some sleep, do it!

It would be great for you if keeping her upright is enough but it definitely wasn't for us.

Unfortunately I have a feeling it won't be enough. Managed to get some gaviscon into her after a feed earlier but she's still uncomfortable. She didn't last long at her snooze on my chest. She's now cruising up and down the hall in dad's arms.

A woke at six, in my sleep deprived state I didn't realise it was time for a bottle, got one at 6.45, she did a MAHOOSIVE poo that leaked out the side so I had to strip her off n clean her down then she took the rest of the bottle n is now asleep in my arms! I can't go back asleep because I've to be out of the house by 9.30 n need to get stuff ready, have breakfast etc!

A woke at six, in my sleep deprived state I didn't realise it was time for a bottle, got one at 6.45, she did a MAHOOSIVE poo that leaked out the side so I had to strip her off n clean her down then she took the rest of the bottle n is now asleep in my arms! I can't go back asleep because I've to be out of the house by 9.30 n need to get stuff ready, have breakfast etc!

I'm the same, H spent from 1am (bottle) until 4.30am awake & giving out, I gave him a bottle at 4.30 - he only drank 1oz before falling asleep at 5am. Awake again at 8.30; he's happily asleep on my chest but I've to get out of bed & get stuff done! I'm knackered!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Saw in the transition from night to day this morning. Little One decided that she would wake at about 5.30am. Wife tried feeding her for the next 30 minutes, then I changed the nappy and she went back on the boob. But she had drank my wife dry and so was getting distressed when there was no milk coming her way. Been up since 6.30am, gave her 2oz formula and popped her in the pram. She's been asleep there since about 7.30am. She's stirring slowly, trying to keep her asleep as long as I can to give my wife some much needed sleep.

This was to be expected really, we had been in a good routine for about a week and then went out for much of the early part of the day yesterday. Little One didn't get her usual 2-2.5 hour naps yesterday so slept for a good while when we got home yesterday afternoon. Then it took her a long time to settle to sleep again last night. We'll get back on that good routine today though. Think I'll get a nap after the rugby this afternoon. I just hope I stay awake through it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Well tomorrow I start my new weight loss plan and personal training session....I just cannot do it alone! Fingers crossed!

bp wrote: »
    Well tomorrow I start my new weight loss plan and personal training session....I just cannot do it alone! Fingers crossed!

Sometimes being told what to do is a lot easier than trying to do everything. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I was gearing up for my training sessions to begin but while waiting for my SPD to go away fully I ended pregnant so that's pushed back a year

My husband does muay Thai and the man that is training him for his fights is a personal trainer and physio so it's great for me after pregnancy he's able handle the SPD factor. And it's 20 euro for 2 hours. Really jealous I'm not half way into been fit again now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Sometimes being told what to do is a lot easier than trying to do everything. Good luck :)

Thanks...will let you know next month! I need to be bossed around

Advertisement