Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

nikpmup wrote: »
    I think he must've heard me. He finally went to sleep at about 01.30, and he's still asleep now - this is the first morning we've woken before him :D I may have to get him up so we can get out of the house on time!
    Roesy, I'm convinced my lad has reflux. I said it to the GP at his six week check but she seemed to think it was just wind but I'm sure it's reflux. It's hard seeing them in pain :(
    And finally....... my back is bloody killing me. The child has me killed!

Sleep from 1.30 to 7 sounds like bliss! My back is wrecked too from keeping baby upright. Reflux is a disaster. I do think the infant gaviscon is helping a bit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Think A must of heard me too! She slept really well yesterday and slept from 11 til 7 this morning, waking up for a few minutes at three! She's back down now until 9 I'd say n then we'll get up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

My little one had reflux too. It didn't upset her too much but the big clue was the grunting and the fact that she was taking 4oz every three hours after she was born and still only taking that when she was 12 weeks. I didn't want to medicate before I tried thickners so I put her on aptimil AR milk. Fixed problem immediately and she went straight up to 7oz bottles.Sometimes it's hard to get so I get the ordinary aptimil with a gumming agent like carobel.

nikpmup wrote: »
    I think he must've heard me. He finally went to sleep at about 01.30, and he's still asleep now - this is the first morning we've woken before him :D I may have to get him up so we can get out of the house on time!
    Roesy, I'm convinced my lad has reflux. I said it to the GP at his six week check but she seemed to think it was just wind but I'm sure it's reflux. It's hard seeing them in pain :(
    And finally....... my back is bloody killing me. The child has me killed!

They don't generally scream in pain with reflux but it's probably a combination of wind and reflux. That was my son. Problem is a lot of the solutions for reflux can make the wind worse. My son was like that and I think I heard him burp maybe twice in his first six months :-( if you find your constantly holding baby up you can get these things called cot blocks! I don't know if you have come across them but it's basically blocks that you sit the back legs of the cot in to keep baby raised safely at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I have a long day today. I'm drivibg a bit away to meet some other mums and babies who live all over the country. Of course J has been wide awake since 5am. I'm so pissed off, then I feel terrible for being so annoyed. He's only a baby but I never feel safe driving when I feel really tired.

We have so many days where I'm at home with him. I was really looking forward to a day out. I'll still go obviously but I really hate that awful fuzzy not enough sleep feeling. It'll be evening by the time I'm home.

Just needed a bit of a moan. I know this is par for the course but his timing really sucks.

He will probably conk out when he should be meeting his new friends! Typical!

Enjoy the day, sounds like fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

So, we got the Little One back into her routine yesterday and all was good during the day. We've initiated a night-time sleep routine of bath, feed and story. Works well and she goes down fairly quickly. She has been a good sleeper til now (we have been SO SO SO lucky). Last night was the worst, she's 3.5 months old at this stage. She was wide awake at 1.30am and was in need of a change. Then she went back asleep until 2am. She was in the bed making an awful lot of noise, not crying but screeching and the like. I gave up at 2.30am and brought her downstairs. Into the pram with her and she fell asleep pretty much straight away (this is where she sleeps during the day). It meant I got to catch up on my American Football so wasn't all that bad. Back up to bed at 3.30am and she was wide awake again. I tapped out at this stage and went to the spare room until about 6.30am. Then back into my own bed until she woke this morning around 8.30am. I'm back in work again on Thursday so if she doesn't sort herself out by Wednesday night I'll be spending the whole night in the other room.

Like a zombie today I is.

loubian wrote: »
    Think A must of heard me too! She slept really well yesterday and slept from 11 til 7 this morning, waking up for a few minutes at three! She's back down now until 9 I'd say n then we'll get up!

We actually slept til 11 n she's asleep now again for last 40 minutes!!

lang wrote: »
    So, we got the Little One back into her routine yesterday and all was good during the day. We've initiated a night-time sleep routine of bath, feed and story. Works well and she goes down fairly quickly. She has been a good sleeper til now (we have been SO SO SO lucky). Last night was the worst, she's 3.5 months old at this stage. She was wide awake at 1.30am and was in need of a change. Then she went back asleep until 2am. She was in the bed making an awful lot of noise, not crying but screeching and the like. I gave up at 2.30am and brought her downstairs. Into the pram with her and she fell asleep pretty much straight away (this is where she sleeps during the day). It meant I got to catch up on my American Football so wasn't all that bad. Back up to bed at 3.30am and she was wide awake again. I tapped out at this stage and went to the spare room until about 6.30am. Then back into my own bed until she woke this morning around 8.30am. I'm back in work again on Thursday so if she doesn't sort herself out by Wednesday night I'll be spending the whole night in the other room.

Like a zombie today I is.

Omg that's so rough been back to work with a 3 and a half month old :-(

Omg that's so rough been back to work with a 3 and a half month old :-(

Think you might think I'm the Mammy, but not me. I work shift work which means I can be around most mornings (when heading into work) and then afternoons when coming off shift. It's great. I get to see Little One growing up and the bond is so strong.

My wife is still off and I've just been on leave for a few days. So the Little One is just giving me a run for my money as she senses that I'm off work and would love to just relax... wishful thinking I know. I managed to take 3 weeks off in total (2 before birth and one after, Little One was a week late). My wife is unsure about returning to her current workplace (mainly due to distance to/from work), but hopefully something closer to the homestead will come up for her in the New Year.

Think you might think I'm the Mammy, but not me. I work shift work which means I can be around most mornings (when heading into work) and then afternoons when coming off shift. It's great. I get to see Little One growing up and the bond is so strong.

My wife is still off and I've just been on leave for a few days. So the Little One is just giving me a run for my money as she senses that I'm off work and would love to just relax... wishful thinking I know. I managed to take 3 weeks off in total (2 before birth and one after, Little One was a week late). My wife is unsure about returning to her current workplace (mainly due to distance to/from work), but hopefully something closer to the homestead will come up for her in the New Year.

Oh dear ha ha my inner sexist just reared it's ugly head. Assuming you are the mother because you have been up all night :-P Sorry for the mix up lol I did think that's one cool lady watching American football though :-D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Digs wrote: »
    He will probably conk out when he should be meeting his new friends! Typical!

Enjoy the day, sounds like fun!

Thank you. It was fun. It was actually some boards ladies I was meeting which is nice.

My husband came into me just before 8 and saw my face. He decided I wouldn't be safe on the roads with only 4 hours sleep so sent me back to bed and went into work late. Thank god because even with an extra hour I could feel driving back I wasn't 100%.

J was very good all day though so he's forgiven!

Oh dear ha ha my inner sexist just reared it's ugly head. Assuming you are the mother because you have been up all night :-P Sorry for the mix up lol I did think that's one cool lady watching American football though :-D

If only she would watch the American Football though. I dragged her over to London to watch a game a few years ago and I think she still hasn't forgave me for it!! Because I work shift work (mainly overnights) I tend to take over the night times when I'm at home to give my wife a break and to allow her to catch up on some much needed sleep. Part of me feels guilty leaving them both when I go to work... I can be away from the house for nearly 30 hours with the commute and all that. It's an awful long time for my wife to be on her own with the Little One. My heart breaks if it's been a difficult night for them both when I've been in work.

If only she would watch the American Football though. I dragged her over to London to watch a game a few years ago and I think she still hasn't forgave me for it!! Because I work shift work (mainly overnights) I tend to take over the night times when I'm at home to give my wife a break and to allow her to catch up on some much needed sleep. Part of me feels guilty leaving them both when I go to work... I can be away from the house for nearly 30 hours with the commute and all that. It's an awful long time for my wife to be on her own with the Little One. My heart breaks if it's been a difficult night for them both when I've been in work.

Your poor wife I feel her pain. My son wasn't great for sleeping at all and my husband did nights too. It was really exhausting when I went back to work because I had no one to share night duty with. I'll never forget one week. The baby was up and down every night and the last night of the week I was exhausted. I went to bed at 12 and baby woke at one and never went back down. Eventually went back at 6.30 so I jumped into the shower for work at 8. Was only in the shower and he started crying again. It was the longest day at work ever. Was seeing double looking at my computer screens lol I'm so blessed the new one sleeps because if she didn't she would wake the other fella and it would just be carnage. Terrible twos are def not something to be sneered at !

We've had it good until the last two nights. Normally we'll all sleep til about 7.30am (ish), we are co-sleeping so all Little One needs do is latch on for a feed during the night. Am hoping it's only a 'phase' and we'll get back to normal (yeah, I know, what's normal when you have a small infant). I'll go back to work on Thursday a lot easier if I know that Little One is sleeping better these next two nights.

We've had it good until the last two nights. Normally we'll all sleep til about 7.30am (ish), we are co-sleeping so all Little One needs do is latch on for a feed during the night. Am hoping it's only a 'phase' and we'll get back to normal (yeah, I know, what's normal when you have a small infant). I'll go back to work on Thursday a lot easier if I know that Little One is sleeping better these next two nights.

Co sleeping is great. My near 3 year old is still in with me even though he has a lovely double bed. The little one is in a co sleeper so it's a full room he he I'll keep my fingers crossed for your wife's sake that things sort themselves out :-)

It would appear we got our wish last night. She slept like a dream apart from the normal awakenings that is. But, there seems to be a trade off as with everything in life... she has been like a little demon since she woke up at about 8am. She had a feed before this in bed and I took her downstairs. The satisfied feeling did not last... she's been narky since getting up. Has had another feed and hopefully will go down in a while for a sleep. We've to go out this morning so she might sleep while we are out.

But at least we got sleep :D:D:D

Ahhhhh sleep!! My now 7 month old slept the first four months of her life away but now it's pretty low on her list of priorities!!

Latest trick is crawling which doesn't transfer well to the cot so lots of getting stuck and squealing and subsequently not sleeping!!!

That's great that you finally got a good night sleep Lang. I got a lie on because my husband is working day and night now everyday until I return to work on Monday for a lovely 11 hour shift :-(
    It would appear I'm allergic to lie one now because anytime I sleep until 10 I wake with a god awful headache.

Digs that is great the little one is crawling. No sign of my LO doing anything of the sort at 7 months. My son however was swinging out of everything at that stage and still is :-P

That's great that you finally got a good night sleep Lang. I got a lie on because my husband is working day and night now everyday until I return to work on Monday for a lovely 11 hour shift :-(
    It would appear I'm allergic to lie one now because anytime I sleep until 10 I wake with a god awful headache.

Digs that is great the little one is crawling. No sign of my LO doing anything of the sort at 7 months. My son however was swinging out of everything at that stage and still is :-P

Is it a good thing? :P

The child doesn't stop to take a breath some days, my head is spinning :D

The description you gave of your son is sounding familiar!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Ahhhhh sleep!! My now 7 month old slept the first four months of her life away but now it's pretty low on her list of priorities!!

Latest trick is crawling which doesn't transfer well to the cot so lots of getting stuck and squealing and subsequently not sleeping!!!

Would you consider one of those sleeping bag type things like this leon_minky_yellow_100.gif

they saved me with my terror.

• Advertisement

Is it a good thing? :P

The child doesn't stop to take a breath some days, my head is spinning :D

The description you gave of your son is sounding familiar!

It's good and bad lol he is sooooo smart is crazy. By the age of 1.5 he could hold full conversations and understand them. He knew all his shapes,numbers and colours and could actually count if I put say ten blocks in front of him. BUT he is so full of life it is terrifying. He is so into everything it's dangerous. My nerves are completely gone with him. I can honestly stay though even with all the stress I have never laughed so much since the day he was born :-D

People always ask me if I have any new stories because he is so funny. I'll give you a good one a very 8 month pregnant mammy decides one morning when she got out of bed not to put trousers on so I'm sauntering around the house in pants and ugg boots. Next thing I know the child has ran out the front door. I was trying to stay low when I ran outside to cover my shame a bit. So there I am heavily pregnant and half naked on the ground wrestling with a toddler on the grass outside my house. I'm sure the neighbours loved it :-D

Wolfpaw thats a good point, didn't think of that! I have one 2.5tog one which has been in the wash for the last two days so may account for all the wriggling.....will reinstate it tonight!

Holy moly Emma!! Hahah certainly sounds like lots of fun in your house :D the neighbours were surely entertained! I agree with you though she definitely is a funny lady. She is babbling away to herself constantly all we hear is dadadadadada and lalalalalala (which coincidentally is our nickname for her) but do you think she would say mamamama, not a chance, my husband finds this hilarious (I suppose I secretly do too, mammies always get the rough end of the deal!)

Wolfpaw thats a good point, didn't think of that! I have one 2.5tog one which has been in the wash for the last two days so may account for all the wriggling.....will reinstate it tonight!

Holy moly Emma!! Hahah certainly sounds like lots of fun in your house :D the neighbours were surely entertained! I agree with you though she definitely is a funny lady. She is babbling away to herself constantly all we hear is dadadadadada and lalalalalala (which coincidentally is our nickname for her) but do you think she would say mamamama, not a chance, my husband finds this hilarious (I suppose I secretly do too, mammies always get the rough end of the deal!)

Girls love their Daddy's and boys love their Mammys so I'm glad I have one of each. My son is always clung to me but the latest arrival is all about her daddy. One of my work colleagues keeps putting the fear of god into me telling me how his wife and teenage daughter are constantly fighting lol I'm not looking forward to those teen years at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

No crawling forward yet here at 9 months but it is only a matter of time!

Thanks for the laugh regarding the neighbours....that cheered me right up!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

People always ask me if I have any new stories because he is so funny. I'll give you a good one a very 8 month pregnant mammy decides one morning when she got out of bed not to put trousers on so I'm sauntering around the house in pants and ugg boots. Next thing I know the child has ran out the front door. I was trying to stay low when I ran outside to cover my shame a bit. So there I am heavily pregnant and half naked on the ground wrestling with a toddler on the grass outside my house. I'm sure the neighbours loved it :-D

My brother opened the front door on my mother as a toddler. While she was in the loo with the door open, which was facing the front door. The public health nurse on the doorstep was very kind but mum was mortified. Particularly since it was a smelly session she went in for.

I've flashed the postman while breastfeeding. Signed for a parcel with my boob hanging out.

Neyite wrote: »
    My brother opened the front door on my mother as a toddler. While she was in the loo with the door open, which was facing the front door. The public health nurse on the doorstep was very kind but mum was mortified. Particularly since it was a smelly session she went in for.

I've flashed the postman while breastfeeding. Signed for a parcel with my boob hanging out.

Omg lol! My Mother said to me when I was pregnant on my first to be prepared to leave my dignity at the door when I was going in to give birth. It seems a lot of women (myself included) forget to collect it on the way back out!

Bp glad to be of service lol

I need to lose weight! I've a wedding at the end of December n with Christmas just before it I don't want to look like I came as a Christmas ham! :-( but I have an addiction to chocolate boo! Help!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭bozharry

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Loads of fresh air (and wee covered blankets) new nappies every 2 hours and change immediately after a poop. And I think I now own parts in Caldesene, Sudocrem and Bepanthen. Apparently the higher the zinc content the better. So have to get specialist cream tomorrow.

Her whole nether region is red raw and skin coming off too. All because of teething :(

Just something that really worked for our little lady. Use olive oil and cotton wool to clean the nether regions (more dab into the area) and then cover with morhulin cream (I personally found a bad poo as often comes with teething better washed off with warm water in the bath as you would nearly get through a bag of wool trying to clean an explosion!). She is my third baby and never had any issues with nappy rash with the others. Cleared the worst nappy rash in a few days! Worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

bozharry wrote: »
    Just something that really worked for our little lady. Use olive oil and cotton wool to clean the nether regions (more dab into the area) and then cover with morhulin cream (I personally found a bad poo as often comes with teething better washed off with warm water in the bath as you would nearly get through a bag of wool trying to clean an explosion!). She is my third baby and never had any issues with nappy rash with the others. Cleared the worst nappy rash in a few days! Worth a try

After two weeks of horrific red hard skin, I am willing to try most anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭bozharry

A doctor recommended it, the pharmacist in boots had never heard of this. Makes sense when you think about it! The oil will help the cotton wool to glide over the skin and the cream is excellent. I worked in a crèche for years before I had my own children and never came across it before

Advertisement