Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

The acid is coming back up from their stomach so the grunting is trying to move it or clear it. Yeah if she is swallowing spit up or taking big gulps in the middle of bottle chances are she has reflux. My little one I swear you wouldn't believe the grunting. It sounded like an old man. I was thinking my god how can something so small make noises like that. I switched her to anti reflux milk and it instantly stopped. If I give her water though it kicks off again. Another big clue for reflux is not taking larger bottles. My LO was clearing 4 oz every 3 hours when she was born and 12 weeks later she was still on 4 and I'd be sitting with her for an hour to finish that much. I switched the milk and within a day of the switch she was wiping out 7 oz bottles in a matter of minutes. It was such a relief because my little man was losing the plot when I was sitting feeding her for so long!

Yeah that sounds familiar. She is on 180ml bottles and will take between 80 n 100 mls n trying to get the rest into her it's like you're trying to feed her poison! My lo is 18 weeks tomorrow, is still eating every 3-4 hours n like I said, only drinking 80-100mls.. Did you change without talking to a doctor? It sounds like she's in pain so I might go and get the anti reflux tomorrow and give it a try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

loubian wrote: »
    Yeah that sounds familiar. She is on 180ml bottles and will take between 80 n 100 mls n trying to get the rest into her it's like you're trying to feed her poison! My lo is 18 weeks tomorrow, is still eating every 3-4 hours n like I said, only drinking 80-100mls.. Did you change without talking to a doctor? It sounds like she's in pain so I might go and get the anti reflux tomorrow and give it a try!

I said it to my PHN and it was an awesome conversation lol the reason I say that is because when I brought it up she just said "well what do you think? You know her yourself so go with your instinct" and on my first it was always things like ohhh you shouldn't do this that and the other. I really enjoyed being trusted to know my baby ha ha so I told her I didn't want to medicate with gaviscon and she said aptimil were doing anti reflux milk (they weren't on my first)

If your changing the milk you will need to change the teats. Avent are a pain in the bum because the teats don't have bigger holes when you go up in the stages they just have more little ones. If your using avent you will have to get the vari flow because the milk is thick. Dr browns do y holes and x holes so they are fine. You can also use carobel. The ar milk is just a thickened milk using a natural gumming agent so carobel is basically the gumming agent on its own in a box so you can just add a scoop or two to the formula you are currently using.

I said it to my PHN and it was an awesome conversation lol the reason I say that is because when I brought it up she just said "well what do you think? You know her yourself so go with your instinct" and on my first it was always things like ohhh you shouldn't do this that and the other. I really enjoyed being trusted to know my baby ha ha so I told her I didn't want to medicate with gaviscon and she said aptimil were doing anti reflux milk (they weren't on my first)

If your changing the milk you will need to change the teats. Avent are a pain in the bum because the teats don't have bigger holes when you go up in the stages they just have more little ones. If your using avent you will have to get the vari flow because the milk is thick. Dr browns do y holes and x holes so they are fine. You can also use carobel. The ar milk is just a thickened milk using a natural gumming agent so carobel is basically the gumming agent on its own in a box so you can just add a scoop or two to the formula you are currently using.

Thanks for that! We are on sma gold at the moment, I think I saw anti reflux milk! I will go to Tesco and get a small tin and try her on it to see how she gets on! I'm using avent also! They makes things so finicky for babies sometimes! You'd think they'd make things simple knowing you've a newborn to mind!

Thanks for that! We are on sma gold at the moment, I think I saw anti reflux milk! I will go to Tesco and get a small tin and try her on it to see how she gets on! I'm using avent also! They makes things so finicky for babies sometimes! You'd think they'd make things simple knowing you've a newborn to mind!

Well hopefully you have better luck finding the vari flow teats. I got mine on eBay in the end. You could go the old fashioned way and stick a darning needle through the teat lol I couldn't do it though. I'm all about the rules! I'll bend them as far as I can go but I won't break them :-P

I'm sitting here nauseous at the sight of my security badges for work in the morning! I soooo don't feel ready to go back! *dreadface*

Well hopefully you have better luck finding the vari flow teats. I got mine on eBay in the end. You could go the old fashioned way and stick a darning needle through the teat lol I couldn't do it though. I'm all about the rules! I'll bend them as far as I can go but I won't break them :-P

I'm sitting here nauseous at the sight of my security badges for work in the morning! I soooo don't feel ready to go back! *dreadface*

Was just reading up about reflux and one of the main symptoms is trouble feeding. Almost since she was born, we'd give her the bottle, she'd drink half, we'd burp her and change her, n then give her the rest. Now she pushes the bottle out of her mouth n refuses to take any more. I never thought it could be reflux that was causing it.

Oh no, is it your first day back?

• Advertisement

Was just reading up about reflux and one of the main symptoms is trouble feeding. Almost since she was born, we'd give her the bottle, she'd drink half, we'd burp her and change her, n then give her the rest. Now she pushes the bottle out of her mouth n refuses to take any more. I never thought it could be reflux that was causing it.

Oh no, is it your first day back?

Yeah my little one was the very same. It was such an ordeal giving her a bottle. Fingers crossed now the thickened milk helps. It basically fixed it over night for me!

Tomorrow is the dreaded day and I'm absolutely devastated. I have a really really stressful job and this time of year is a million times worse so straight back into the fire. There from 8 to 7 aswell so I'm just dreading it. I can't even sleep I feel so sick!

Yeah my little one was the very same. It was such an ordeal giving her a bottle. Fingers crossed now the thickened milk helps. It basically fixed it over night for me!

Tomorrow is the dreaded day and I'm absolutely devastated. I have a really really stressful job and this time of year is a million times worse so straight back into the fire. There from 8 to 7 aswell so I'm just dreading it. I can't even sleep I feel so sick!

Hopefully it will work! Sometimes she gets so upset! Maybe that's why she wriggle out of my arm as I'm trying to get her to sleep!

The first week is always the worst! Hopefully after that it will be ok! I've four weeks official maternity left! It's scary it went by so fast! I'm hoping to take unpaid leave but I will only be taking it for as long as I can afford it, which might not be that long!

Hopefully it will work! Sometimes she gets so upset! Maybe that's why she wriggle out of my arm as I'm trying to get her to sleep!

The first week is always the worst! Hopefully after that it will be ok! I've four weeks official maternity left! It's scary it went by so fast! I'm hoping to take unpaid leave but I will only be taking it for as long as I can afford it, which might not be that long!

It's tough taking the unpaid. I had 6 weeks holidays that brought me up until this point but didn't want to take unpaid coming into Xmas. Two kiddies for Santa this year and two new nieces and a new nephew so the Xmas list got substantially bigger this year :-P let me know how you go with the new milk :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I got coughed on by some jerk on the luas the other day, and now I am dying (well not really dying) of a sinus infection. The kids are exhausting me by even existing. 4yo has decided to be a terror all weekend. I am just in bits with it all. I cannot wait for it to pass. It is so annoying, I am not very sick, but I feel horrific. I feel bad because I am getting mad at the kids and they are not at fault.

A is asleep in the bed beside me, snoring away, I'm so jealous, I've to stay awake because we're going for her 4 month needles at 10! So soo tired!

• Advertisement

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I got coughed on by some jerk on the luas the other day, and now I am dying (well not really dying) of a sinus infection. The kids are exhausting me by even existing. 4yo has decided to be a terror all weekend. I am just in bits with it all. I cannot wait for it to pass. It is so annoying, I am not very sick, but I feel horrific. I feel bad because I am getting mad at the kids and they are not at fault.

:-( hope your feeling better soon!

@loubian how did baba get on with jabs?

I survived my first day back but OH! EM! GEE! it was a long day lol got a lovely reception from two very excited little kiddies when I got in which was the highlight of my day!

She screamed the surgery down but I gave her a bottle and she was fine! Went out to blanch to get q few bits n when we got home, she went nuts! She's been Off for the whole day since! I gave her a bath which she enjoyed and she's asleep in my arms now, I'm about to put her in the cot.

I got the staydown milk, it is a lot thicker! She is gulping it down but I don't know if that's the bigger teat! It'll take a few days to see if it makes a difference!

A is in the horrors today, she hasn't stopped crying except when she's eating and sleeping. And she won't sleep anywhere other than my arms. It's been a long day so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

A is in the horrors today, she hasn't stopped crying except when she's eating and sleeping. And she won't sleep anywhere other than my arms. It's been a long day so far!

:-( could be the vaccine from the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Got home at 7pm this evening, my husband tried to keep herself up to see me but she was just too wrecked it wasn't fair to her so I missed her by 5 mins. Don't think I could feel any worse :(

bp wrote: »
    :-( could be the vaccine from the other day

I think it was, and her nose is really blocked! Poor little thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Very down and weepy today :(

My other half started a new job yesterday. Now, while I know I've been extremely lucky to have had him around 24/7 for the first 8 weeks, I really really missed him the past couple of days. He took redundancy just before we got together, so I've got very used to having him around all the time! I know it's for the best and I'm delighted he's got a full time permanent position but I reserve the right to feel sorry for myself :( I'm up at night with baba so that he can get some shut eye, so I'm super tired too.

I am so sick with a terrible flu and the neighbours above us have been doing DIY all evening so Saoirse has had toss all sleep all day and she is crying in exhaustion. I am just fit to cry. I feel so crappy.

Nikpmup - you feel a bit lost when they go back out the door. I know the feeling, huge hugs.

nikpmup wrote: »
    Very down and weepy today :(

My other half started a new job yesterday. Now, while I know I've been extremely lucky to have had him around 24/7 for the first 8 weeks, I really really missed him the past couple of days. He took redundancy just before we got together, so I've got very used to having him around all the time! I know it's for the best and I'm delighted he's got a full time permanent position but I reserve the right to feel sorry for myself :( I'm up at night with baba so that he can get some shut eye, so I'm super tired too.

I feel your pain. My hubby works round the clock. night and day sometimes so nightshifts are reserved for mammy. Feeling wrecked on day 3 of return to work week so I took a wee half day today :-P

Little Aifric woke up this morning with a lovely white thing sticking out of her gum. Hooray at long last!

Bit of a better day today, I dragged is both over to Dundrum to the mammy & baby screening in the cinema, watched the hunger games. Himself came home & made dinner but he's gone out again :-/ Little man is conked since 7pm, hope he stays that way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Bit of a better day today, I dragged is both over to Dundrum to the mammy & baby screening in the cinema, watched the hunger games. Himself came home & made dinner but he's gone out again :-/ Little man is conked since 7pm, hope he stays that way!

I was there today too but I saw Saving Mr Banks! I might have walked past you! I had a few days of feeling really low over the weekend and was in a lot better form today. I met a friend for lunch after the film and then stayed in Dundrum until 6pm getting my shopping done. I kept getting stopped by people telling me how lovely J is (which is, of course true :)) and he was in great form. I just had such a lovely day and was thinking of this time last year when I was so unbelievably miserable being pregnant and I was so Pukey I though I'd never be able to keep food down ever again. So I'm feeling a lot perkier and content today :)

Glad you are also feeling better.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I was there today too but I saw Saving Mr Banks! I might have walked past you! I had a few days of feeling really low over the weekend and was in a lot better form today. I met a friend for lunch after the film and then stayed in Dundrum until 6pm getting my shopping done. I kept getting stopped by people telling me how lovely J is (which is, of course true :)) and he was in great form. I just had such a lovely day and was thinking of this time last year when I was so unbelievably miserable being pregnant and I was so Pukey I though I'd never be able to keep food down ever again. So I'm feeling a lot perkier and content today :)

Awww glad your feeling better today and omg why am I only hearing about mother and baby screening when I'm finished mat leave???

I'm screaming into cushions here tonight. For those of you who have had a two year old before you will know all about this. HE BREAKS EVERYTHING! I just got my computer back after a costly repair and now my child has rammed two DVDs into it (it's IMAC so there is no way to get at them) grrrrrrr arrrrrrgh grrrrrr god give me strength lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Little lady was unsettled today but definitely better than yesterday but is now like a bull again. I'm in bed, husband usually gives her the last feed before bed during the week and I go to bed early and do the after 12 feeds. She was ok, a bit fussy until about 20 mins ago and now I can hear her raging away at him. Bloody reflux :(

MurdyWurdy wrote: »

That's gas, I was going to watch Saving Mr Banks but it was sold out :) I was in the shopping centre all day too, I wonder did we cross paths (or buggies!) There was a fair clatter of mammies and babies there today, wasn't there! I had a good number of people ask me about Hugo too, a woman in the lift, another woman in Starbucks and one in the baby changing - felt like a baby convention!

Yep, Dundrum on Tuesdays or Wednesdays is just full of babies! Let me know if you're going again anyway and I can look out for you

Funny that saving Mr Banks sold out - they must have expected more people to want to see the Hunger Games so put that in the big screen but got caught out :)

Will do, I'm going to try to get over there now and again. Blanch is handier for me but they only have one screening a week, Liffey valley don't do it at all. Did you see Ryan Tubridy in the lobby? He was there as I was leaving :)

I think you passed your weepimess on to me nikpmup, feeling so low! I'm due my period though, and I know that's the reason because I haven't felt this low in a while. I'm going to keep an eye on it, and if I continue to get bad pms, I'll start taking the pill. I already get hot flushes and really heavy bleeds which I hadn't got before, so can't be dealing with that while looking after A.

Feeling so low about my weight. I have all these great exercise plans and healthy eating plans in my head but they never come to anything. I have no motivation whatsoever. A is going to grow up with the constant image of her mam eating :-(

And I know I complain a lot about him, and I'm trying to move on, but some days A's father just really bugs me. He is so infuriating and idiotic and spiteful, I wish I didn't have to know him, but I'm doing all this for A, so I can tell her in the future that I did everything I could for her. Bleh! Why do women have it so tough? Looking after a screaming teething toddler and having to deal with pms at the same time. '

Ah stop, I get really bad pms. I thought I was getting my period last week but it never came :-/ So not looking forward to having it back. I don't want to go on the pill though as we'd like to try for #2 within a year or so

I'm screaming into cushions here tonight. For those of you who have had a two year old before you will know all about this. HE BREAKS EVERYTHING! I just got my computer back after a costly repair and now my child has rammed two DVDs into it (it's IMAC so there is no way to get at them) grrrrrrr arrrrrrgh grrrrrr god give me strength lol

I have spent more on repairing a computer than actually on the damn thing in the first place with my guy, actually I need to get it repaired again!

• Advertisement

Will do, I'm going to try to get over there now and again. Blanch is handier for me but they only have one screening a week, Liffey valley don't do it at all. Did you see Ryan Tubridy in the lobby? He was there as I was leaving :)

No, I think my film ended earlier. I did see him on Grafton St last Wednesday though. He obviously gets around :)

Advertisement