Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I have spent more on repairing a computer than actually on the damn thing in the first place with my guy, actually I need to get it repaired again!

It's a nightmare isn't it? He has figured out how to pull the buttons off the keyboard so it's missing loads of buttons. I miss the days were I could keep everything perfect and clean. Now it's all sticky hand prints and broken stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

It's a nightmare isn't it? He has figured out how to pull the buttons off the keyboard so it's missing loads of buttons. I miss the days were I could keep everything perfect and clean. Now it's all sticky hand prints and broken stuff.

I have had keys replaced on a few occasions and still have one missing. I miss having a clean home :( It is hygienically clean, but always untidy. I can have it spotless when he comes home from school, but by dinner, it is wrecked again.

I have had keys replaced on a few occasions and still have one missing. I miss having a clean home :( It is hygienically clean, but always untidy. I can have it spotless when he comes home from school, but by dinner, it is wrecked again.

I'm not even sure if mines hygienic ha ha I give it a good Hoover and steam clean most days and pull the furniture out every weekend but god knows what's behind the things I can't move :-Z

I'm not even sure if mines hygienic ha ha I give it a good Hoover and steam clean most days and pull the furniture out every weekend but god knows what's behind the things I can't move :-Z

That's every house, don't worry. Baby is sleeping and I am dossing online instead of studying/cleaning.

That's every house, don't worry. Baby is sleeping and I am dossing online instead of studying/cleaning.

I have a little one in the height of it here. One tooth came up the other day so wouldn't say it's neighbour is too far behind! Trying to distract her as much as possible but she is not a happy bunny at all!

What are you studying? I want to go back to college at some point when the kids are older? Not sure if I could juggle it all though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Have been having a very tough time dealing with things lately, and I got prescribed antidepressants earlier. Didn't really want to go down the mediation route, but don't think just counselling is helping. I'm gonna talk to my counsellor tomorrow anyway about how I've been feeling. I feel like I'm letting A down by getting so angry with her. All she wants is her mum :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

loubian wrote: »
    Have been having a very tough time dealing with things lately, and I got prescribed antidepressants earlier. Didn't really want to go down the mediation route, but don't think just counselling is helping. I'm gonna talk to my counsellor tomorrow anyway about how I've been feeling. I feel like I'm letting A down by getting so angry with her. All she wants is her mum :-(

Ah Loubian, sorry to hear you are having a tough time. Being a new mum is hard, nevermind the hassles you are having with the baby's father. Don't be too hard on yourself about the medication, so many people have been on them. You've tried the counselling and maybe it's something you could keep up with in conjunction with the medication? When I suffered from depression in the past I really found that exercise helped.

Looking after your own mental health is a big part of not letting your little one down so you should be very proud that you are being proactive about it instead of hoping the feeling will pass! Keep the chin up! everybody needs a bit of help now and again. Your whole life has changed very recently aswell as that massive hormone come down! I think you would be surprised at the large number of people who are in the very same boat as you! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Loubian, if you had a cold you'd take a paracetamol - taking antidepressants is not a failure, it's the medical treatment to a medical issue. I was on antidepressants on a couple of occasions, they did their job and I came off them. I'd have no hesitation in going on them again if I needed them. Ultimately, taking meds to feel better will make you a happier person, a happier person is a better mum. So by getting the treatment you need, A will benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Don't be hard on yourself at all!! You are doing everything you need to be doing right now! The medication is there to help you be the best mom you can be for your baby. I am on antidepressants and in counselling. Its all for me and for my family. I want my baby to have s happy and connected mom and this is the way I have to work towards being that for him!
    Best of luck things do get so so much better. 5-6 months was my breaking point where I was at my lowest and since ive gotten help things have improved lots!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Minding yourself means minding A - she is lucky to have a mammy who cares as much as you. You have enough love for two parents and love is the most important thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Thanks for your replies everyone, it's nice to know i have support here. Today has been ok, but this evening A just started screaming n hasn't stopped. She asleep now but when shes awake she's crying. I feel so helpless because i feel like I'm leaving her in pain :-(

I'm getting desperate, her nose is full of gunk and it won't clear! I've tried everything, steaming in the bathroom, snuffle babe, aspirator things, trying to get her to sneeze, even trying to gently push it down but irs not working. We're both going mad from the lack of sleep its causing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Loubian I'm sorry you're having such a tough time but well done for looking for help. Being a mother is not easy especially for the first time and you're doing it on your own. I found it very tough going on my son and I had my husband for help and support. But it does get easier.

I hear you on the gunk. My little one has had a constant cold since she was 5 weeks. There were nights where I just wanted to cry because she couldn't sleep as she was so bunged up. I found a combination of a saline solution squirted up her nose and a bulb syringe to such it out works best.

I also burn olbas oil for children in the bedroom for a couple of hours before bedtime and I dab lots around her mattress and put a little cloth beside her with some on it.

I read on line that snuffle balm on the soles of their feet at night is supposed to help. My husband thinks it's hilarious but I now slather loads of it on before bedtime.

Finally raise up the top of the cot/basket mattress so her head is slightly higher. When she was younger she'd sleep on me and that really helped both of us get some sleep but she won't do that anymore.

Agree with all of the above esp feet thing. Also look up wonder weeks - it shows developmental leaps in babies which cause crankiness. They tally pretty accurately with my little ones mood swings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I've had about 2 hours sleep last night. My husband is away on his Christmas party and O had a high temperature. I looked in on him at 10pm and he was sweating a bit but he seemed ok. By 10.30 I. Could hear him moaning and he was shaking in the bed. Poor pet. So he came in to my bed but then he seemed to get much better as he wanted songs in you tube, water, milk, a trip to the toilet. He stated awake until 4am and he's now conked in my bed. Thankfully A only woke to feed and went straight back to sleep.

It's strange how you go into a different mode when they're sick. I wouldn't care if I was up all night with them when they're not well.

Yeah I find that using calpol nasal spray and an aspirator works a treat. If your not getting anywhere with the bulb syringe you can get an aspirator with a tube that you put one side in your mouth and suck. You can also get electronic aspirator.

I also use the Albas oil but I don't have a burner so I usually put a good few drops in a bowl of boiling water near a radiator in the room for about an hour before bed. I keep the door shut aswell to lock it all in because It escapes if the door is open!

I would like to add I'm disgusted that karvol is gone lol

They make a baby version of olbas oil if your worried about it being too strong. I find it in a bowl of boiling water in the room fantastic. Also I put the cot up on one end and snuffle babes on chest and feet. Will be doing all of this tonight as seb woke up sick! Gah!

I have a vic humidifier, you can add a drop or two of eucalyptus if you want and it adds it to the air. I have to use it in the winter in small mans room, it turns off when the water gets to a certain point too. Very handy.

And Loubian, to have the strength to seek help makes you stronger than most. Try and get a walk in everyday it's not raining too, getting out is half the battle. You have put up with so much, I have nothing but respect for you.

I have a vic humidifier, you can add a drop or two of eucalyptus if you want and it adds it to the air. I have to use it in the winter in small mans room, it turns off when the water gets to a certain point too. Very handy.

I tried to get one of those humidifiers a while back and was told they were discontinued :-(

• Advertisement

I tried to get one of those humidifiers a while back and was told they were discontinued :-(

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vicks-V-188UK-Warm-Steam-Vaporiser/dp/B000LN5FYW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386420180&sr=8-2&keywords=vic+humidifiers

Here it is on Amazon, it is great (IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Feeling more than a bit sorry for myself. It's my birthday and my husband was supposed to be back home last night but his job has been extended and minus the little man I'm all alone. I had so much fun stuff planned for us to do today and instead I stayed home, swept the floor and did laundry. Not only that but I'm officially halfway to 70 and if I have another pregnancy it will be classified 'geriatric.' Yay!

iguana wrote: »
    Feeling more than a bit sorry for myself. It's my birthday and my husband was supposed to be back home last night but his job has been extended and minus the little man I'm all alone. I had so much fun stuff planned for us to do today and instead I stayed home, swept the floor and did laundry. Not only that but I'm officially halfway to 70 and if I have another pregnancy it will be classified 'geriatric.' Yay!

Happy birthday x

Aw, happy birthday! That sucks that you're on your own - hopefully you can make up for it when he's home (he'd better make up for it with a good pressie! :D) And if it helps I'm three years into geriatric :P

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

Happy birthday iguana x

Happy birthday Iguana! Hopefully something great happens before the day is out :-D

Posted the pre enrolment form for Hugo for the Educate Together school that my niece and nephew attend yesterday, there was already 37 babies names on the list for 2018! :eek:

nikpmup wrote: »
    Posted the pre enrolment form for Hugo for the Educate Together school that my niece and nephew attend yesterday, there was already 37 babies names on the list for 2018! :eek:

Yeah I did my boy's when he was 4 months and I was able to snag him the next to last spot on the list for 2017! Im glad he's in though it's the only educate together in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

nikpmup wrote: »

Wow! Our local primary school is small enough, must ring and see when I need to put Olivia's name down. I'd definitely get a place for her in the school I teach in but I'd rather her go to school where we live.

• Advertisement

Uh oh my little man is 3 in January and I've only got his name down for play school . We have two primary schools in the village so hopefully I'm ok!

Advertisement