Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Das Kitty wrote: »
    There is no shame in it at all. Happy mum = happy baby.
    This is very important, remember one thing, they sense how we feel. If we are upset, they feed off that and get more upset, which in turn upsets us more, and so the cycle goes around and around.
    nikpmup wrote: »
    Thanks folks; I think I'm just a little overwhelmed, and I'm full of guilt and regret at my inability to breastfeed. It was the one thing I wanted to do for him. I have to say, I have an amazing partner, he has been running around after me like nobody's business, keeping the house together, and reassuring me that I'm doing the right thing and that I'm doing a good job - I think without him I'd be sunk.
    I have suffered from depression before, and all of the midwives and the PHN have been asking me about it; I think they're concerned that I might be at more of a risk of PND as a result. I hope that I will recognise the signs if I do develop it.

It ain't easy!

Nikpmup, I know the feeling of failure for the breastfeeding thing. I felt worthless and as though I was not able to do the most basic thing of being a mother. It took me way too long to realise and accept there was nothing wrong with just going on formula, I had tried, no one could take that much away. I succeeded this time, but it was a very hard road at the start. I almost quit. Your baby is doing well and it doesn't matter how you feed, that is all that matters at the end of the day. *hugs*

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    This is very important, remember one thing, they sense how we feel. If we are upset, they feed off that and get more upset, which in turn upsets us more, and so the cycle goes around and around.

I didn't find that at all. James was the happiest little lad, but he deserved a mum who liked herself. Now he's older he's reactive to our moods but as a baby he showed no ill-effect.

nikpmup, I don't know how long I'll keep breastfeeding. It even hurts a bit with the shields... I just know after last time that I'm not going to sweat it if and when I finish up. You can also feel a bit blue as your milk dries up, it passes in about a week IIRC.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I didn't find that at all. James was the happiest little lad, but he deserved a mum who liked herself. Now he's older he's reactive to our moods but as a baby he showed no ill-effect.

I find that Saoirse is the smiliest little thing in the world, as long as she is in my arms, soon as I put her down, she screams, if I take her up and I am frustrated, she screams more. If I remain calm, she goes back to smiles....Little Harpy!!!! Nah I love her, I just wish she'd give me two minutes peace, then again I get her to sleep 95% of the nighttime. There is just no winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Was reading up on poo habits, A's poo is a little weird. Her poo is green, dark green, with bits of normal brown poo in it. It's very soft n can sometime explode out of her. I said it to the phn before n she said it's normal to be a bit green but if I'm worried I csn take a sample n have it sent off. I left it coz I thought it was only a thing all bsbies go through, but reading up, they say itcould be like that (showed a pic) if yyou're giving an irob supplement but if you're not giving that go to the doc to mske sure its not digested blood or melena :/ freaking out. Should have brought her to the doc ages ago.

She doesn't have a temperature though, she takes her bottle (most of the time), has moved up to a 210mls bottle so I don't see how it could be anything infectious or anything like that :/ after settling with one thing, I find something else to panic about

Can anyone give me some light on this? I

S's are yellow (due to being bf) so on that front I am no help, but my Christ it explodes from her!!! I have ended up wearing her poo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

S's are yellow (due to being bf) so on that front I am no help, but my Christ it explodes from her!!! I have ended up wearing her poo!

Hugo's too! He burst through a nappy, vest and sleep suit this morning!

Hugo's too! He burst through a nappy, vest and sleep suit this morning!

That is a daily occurrence here. All the way up the back and even into the foot of the onsie!!!!

That is a daily occurrence here. All the way up the back and even into the foot of the onsie!!!!

Yep, all up the back. Five minutes before the PHN turned up too - when she arrived Hugo was screeching in the bath :-/

Yep, all up the back. Five minutes before the PHN turned up too - when she arrived Hugo was screeching in the bath :-/

Saoirse pooped in a way one day when I was changing her I had to go from Dublin City centre out home on a luas in a top covered in poop!!! I got some looks that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Nikpmup, I suffered from depression too at one point and was terrified with my first I would get pnd but luckily I was fine. It made me really question though any of the tears and frustrations I had as a new mum and I always worried "is this it again?."
    But I think every mum here could tell you and loubian tales of sitting there with tears streaming down her face, or of being filled with frustration or anger or hopelessness. The thing is to mind yourself and keep talking to your gp and phn so they can keep an eye on you too. And we are all here too (day and night!)

You shouldn't beat yourself up about the bfing either nikpmup, you really gave it your best shot and that's all you can do. The world is full of formula fed humans!!

And loubian, I've done it both ways, alone with my first and I'm married now with this little girl and I can tell you there are pros and cons to both. Yes it can be tiring being on your own, but having just the two of you is lovely too (and you don't sit there seething at 4am looking at the hairy back of someone snoring blissfully!). The little girl I had on my own is 15 now and we couldn't be closer. In fact I'm finding it hard having to share this new little one :)

On another note, as I was typing this I noticed a large blob of chocolate on my chest.... Standards have gone out the window:o

• Advertisement

On another note, as I was typing this I noticed a large blob of chocolate on my chest.... Standards have gone out the window:o

I feel like my bra has inadvertently become some sort of hoarding area for crumbs of my food! As I unlatch it for a feed, something always seems to fall out of it!

Cooool. Mammy's magic bra;)

Meh, only crumbs, though there was a piece of icing and sprinkles from a doughnut yesterday the size of a one cent coin! Classy!!!

:eek: That was supposed to be a grin not a wink :eek:

That made me look like I was being sleazy!!!

Damn sausagey fingers...

It does look sleazy! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Blueskye wrote: »
    No sleep and 5 month old twins means mammy went out today and left front door wide open...until OH got home 2 hours later!! He thought we had been robbed. I can't believe we weren't robbed!!!! I love my babies but What I wouldn't do for a full nights sleep...

I did this too a few weeks ago. Luckily we're in an apartment so there was another locked door to the street!

A full nights sleep would just be heaven, although for the last 4/5 days J has been very good so I shouldn't jinx it :)

Also, I'm almost about to finish breastfeeding, for a few reasons. I feel good about it but guilty and sad at the same time. It's a bizarre feeling - I feel v unsettled tonight.

It does look sleazy! ;)

Lol this is getting out of hand!!!!

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Also, I'm almost about to finish breastfeeding, for a few reasons. I feel good about it but guilty and sad at the same time. It's a bizarre feeling - I feel v unsettled tonight.

It is your choice and you did a great job. Just one thing I will say, prepare for sore big boobs when you stop feeding.

It is your choice and you did a great job. Just one thing I will say, prepare for sore big boobs when you stop feeding.

Can they get any bigger?! I'm doing it slowly, replacing feeds with bottles and then waiting a few days to replace another feed so hope it won't be too bad.

It is my choice (I was getting fed up) but it's also his choice, I haven't been well (bad tooth infection) and he's gone off my milk and wants bottles. I feel rejected!!! Ah no, he's 4 months now so I think feeding for that long is respectable enough so I feel ok but then a minute later I'll start feeling guilty and sad!

We really can't win :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Murdywurdy prepare yourself for a big drop in hormones. As wolfpawnat said earlier, you can feel quite down for about a week. I did and I stopped at 1 year.

Murdywurdy prepare yourself for a big drop in hormones. As wolfpawnat said earlier, you can feel quite down for about a week. I did and I stopped at 1 year.

Great - something to look forward too!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

loubian wrote: »
    Was reading up on poo habits, A's poo is a little weird. Her poo is green, dark green, with bits of normal brown poo in it. It's very soft n can sometime explode out of her. I said it to the phn before n she said it's normal to be a bit green but if I'm worried I csn take a sample n have it sent off. I left it coz I thought it was only a thing all bsbies go through, but reading up, they say itcould be like that (showed a pic) if yyou're giving an irob supplement but if you're not giving that go to the doc to mske sure its not digested blood or melena :/ freaking out. Should have brought her to the doc ages ago.

She doesn't have a temperature though, she takes her bottle (most of the time), has moved up to a 210mls bottle so I don't see how it could be anything infectious or anything like that :/ after settling with one thing, I find something else to panic about

My little boys poo was like this too and was told by PHN that it was normal, so I rolled with it for months, I could literally hear it coming out of him, it was runny green sometimes yellow, if it happens withing an hour of having a bottle it could be lactose intolerance, we didnt get a diagnosis on this till he was 7 months old, changed milk and vast improvement almost immediately, just our experience.

Hope all ye women are feeling better today, I used to cry alot after J was born, I was so exhausted, and didnt know how to express myself, that and being overwhelmed with a newborn, my partner and I didnt get together until J was 7 months old, so i felt so alone, despite having my parents support I still felt so alone, he is a great help now and thankfully things have worked out for us but it isn't easy and the majority of things are still left up to me to do, if I didn't do the washing poor J wouldnt have a thing to wear, and as for bottles himself wouldnt know where to start, he only recently learned how to change a nappy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

loubian wrote: »

The poos used to freak me out. I remember my second lad had brown specks in it and I googled and like you blood was the common answer. So I brought him to the doctor and he said he was fine.

Google can be a god send at times. ..but other times it can be an absolute killer.

I'd say bring him to the gp for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

For any of the ladies here that were feeling a bit down...
    Firstly, well done! You are far from a failure, you are just finding your new job(THE hardest job in the world!!) A little bit overwhelming. But I think the main thing Ye can do is talk, talk to your partners or any support network you have.

I got very down after my little man was born, just for a few days. And I cried and cried and I felt like once all the visitors had seen him, that was it, I was expected to be able to do all of this all by myself(even though my partner is fantastic)
    So on morning, through my tears I sent a few text message to my boyfriend and sister just saying, I think I need a break. (That was really just easing myself in to falling them how I really felt). I know some people obviously suffer from very serious pnd and mine was only baby blues. But I think its so important to talk and if your partner ain't doing his share, tell them! They probably haven't a clue they are even in the dog house ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I second what Gee_g says....its hard to speak up because atbthe beginning its supposed to be the best most precious time of your life and you are supposed to just be so inlove with baby and enjoy your new little one. And while yes a lot of that happens no one talks about how hard it is and how a lot of people feel physically and emotionally like they have been run over by a bus. I had a very tough time and said nothing until he was 4 months old and I was diagnosed with pnd. Its definitely ok to feel overwhelmed and ask for help. We are only human!

Anyways-my rant lol...why oh why has 6:30 become wake up scream until mommy gets up time??? Ugh!! What am I going to do when the time changes :(

Rachineire wrote: »
    I second what Gee_g says....its hard to speak up because atbthe beginning its supposed to be the best most precious time of your life and you are supposed to just be so inlove with baby and enjoy your new little one. And while yes a lot of that happens no one talks about how hard it is and how a lot of people feel physically and emotionally like they have been run over by a bus. I had a very tough time and said nothing until he was 4 months old and I was diagnosed with pnd. Its definitely ok to feel overwhelmed and ask for help. We are only human!

Anyways-my rant lol...why oh why has 6:30 become wake up scream until mommy gets up time??? Ugh!! What am I going to do when the time changes :(
    My boy was always a fan of a lie on, the earliest was around 8.30. So I wasn't too worried about the clocks changing. But...he has now decided 7am is a far better time to get up! Typical! So I'd say I will also have some early starts after it!

I agree it's harder than you think it's going to be. The responsibility is constant and wearing! My husband openly says he has the easy job going out to work

Girls, I'm going mad! J is 4 months old today and I feel at such an awkward age. He's too young too sit up or for a high chair but too old to be happy lying there for a while. I'll get about 20 - 30 minutes of him on his play mat and that's it. Otherwise he wants to be on me/carried by me the whole time, looking around and sitting up assisted by me. He doesn't like his sling because he hates facing into me and we have a jumperoo but he's a bit young for it. I can't get anything done!

I spend my whole day on the couch entertaining/cuddling him. I have friends coming over tonight and I'm trying to get the washing put away and the lounge tidy and I can't. What do you guys do! He does sleep during the day but isn't great at night so I sleep when he does.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I agree it's harder than you think it's going to be. The responsibility is constant and wearing! My husband openly says he has the easy job going out to work

Girls, I'm going mad! J is 4 months old today and I feel at such an awkward age. He's too young too sit up or for a high chair but too old to be happy lying there for a while. I'll get about 20 - 30 minutes of him on his play mat and that's it. Otherwise he wants to be on me/carried by me the whole time, looking around and sitting up assisted by me. He doesn't like his sling because he hates facing into me and we have a jumperoo but he's a bit young for it. I can't get anything done!

I spend my whole day on the couch entertaining/cuddling him. I have friends coming over tonight and I'm trying to get the washing put away and the lounge tidy and I can't. What do you guys do! He does sleep during the day but isn't great at night so I sleep when he does.

Do you have a travel cot/playpen? I used to put the V pillow(ya know the nursing pillow) in it and put the little gym over him to play with, god send!

• Advertisement

Gee_G wrote: »
    Do you have a travel cot/playpen? I used to put the V pillow(ya know the nursing pillow) in it and put the little gym over him to play with, god send!

No, no travel cot but we do have a v pillow which I sit him in on the bed sometimes if I'm in the bedroom. I am thinking I'll need a play pen soon but I do put him on his play mat/gym. I'd imagine him lying down and entertaining himself in a playpen will feel the same as just lying on the play matto him. He'll do max 30 mins a day entertaining himself. The problem is he's desperate to sit up but can't do it yet.

Advertisement