Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

bp wrote: »
    You know you need help when you go out with the other half without the baby and you spend the evening looking at photos and videos of said baby! I am sure we used to talk about other things.... :-)

Me and my husband are always at that. When we were on honeymoon it was the worst. Missed the little guy so much that we were looking through pictures in nightclubs and everything lol

Oh there goes my tree pulled down for the second time today. Grrrr lol

Went to tattersalls today and it was fabulous. Went last year and it was def much better this time around. The Santa was so much friendlier and the elves were absolutely lovely. Pictures were much better aswell and were mounted so can go straight into frames. The lay out was better last year but still very enjoyable if anyone is considering it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Me and my husband are always at that. When we were on honeymoon it was the worst. Missed the little guy so much that we were looking through pictures in nightclubs and everything lol

Snap! This is exactly how we were on honeymoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Madisson wrote: »
    Dont worry ladies I had my first night out the other night, some guy started talking to me and bought me a drink and I ended up boring the chap to death about my daughter and with that I start leaking and as I was quite intoxicated hadnt changed my breast pads in a while and my whole top changed colour.im sure I educated him in the world of parenthood hahaha

Haha, ah the leakage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

loubian wrote: »
    Haven't heard from any of my friends in a few days, asked them down to watch a movie, no reply, everyone is gone out n I'm home alone and A is asleep.. Feeling a tad lonely :(

I know this is going to sound a bit weak for how your feeling but I would recommend a book. With tv the clogs can still turn and you can still think about how you are feeling but with a book it's harder for your mind to wander! Ross O' Carroll Kelly has helped me out of some severe beer fear over the years lol

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

nikpmup wrote: »
    Ah stop, I'm SURE I've turned into one of those women who people run away from at parties, the ones regaling everyone with hil-ARIOUS anecdotes about that time he burped, it was sooo funny etc!

That was me last night - and any other time I have a conversation outside the home. I have to actively stop myself sometimes. But last night I couldn't help myself. A third of a pint of bulmers and I turn into a gab!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Our little boy's sleeping is just getting worse and worse. We're now on 6 months of broken sleep and my husband and I are at the end of our tether. He's never been good at sleeping at night but we just feel like it's catching up on us now and starting to really affect us.

We're on night one of the no cry sleep solution because I just can't and won't let him cry it out. Some of the suggestions we do already i.e. we have a very good bedtime routine and getting him asleep at night is no problem. It's the 6-7 times a night we have to get up to get him back asleep that's the big problem.

Fingers crossed it makes a difference. I don't know how we can do another year or two of crappy sleep. A lot of the book made sense to me so hopefully we see some results.

He's so good in every other way, he's very placid and laid back and is an extremely happy baby, always smiling and laughing and great with big groups of people and getting passed around and played with. He's a great eater as well, I had no trouble at all getting him to take a bottle from being breast fed and getting him to eat solids was easy too. He loves his grub. So, I'm trying to appreciate how good he is in other ways and how wonderful he is but I'm finding it harder and harder to enjoy my time with him when I'm exhausted all the time. Don't get me wrong, I adore him but it's funny how a lack of sleep just colours everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Our little boy's sleeping is just getting worse and worse. We're now on 6 months of broken sleep and my husband and I are at the end of our tether. He's never been good at sleeping at night but we just feel like it's catching up on us now and starting to really affect us.

We're on night one of the no cry sleep solution because I just can't and won't let him cry it out. Some of the suggestions we do already i.e. we have a very good bedtime routine and getting him asleep at night is no problem. It's the 6-7 times a night we have to get up to get him back asleep that's the big problem.

Fingers crossed it makes a difference. I don't know how we can do another year or two of crappy sleep. A lot of the book made sense to me so hopefully we see some results.

He's so good in every other way, he's very placid and laid back and is an extremely happy baby, always smiling and laughing and great with big groups of people and getting passed around and played with. He's a great eater as well, I had no trouble at all getting him to take a bottle from being breast fed and getting him to eat solids was easy too. He loves his grub. So, I'm trying to appreciate how good he is in other ways and how wonderful he is but I'm finding it harder and harder to enjoy my time with him when I'm exhausted all the time. Don't get me wrong, I adore him but it's funny how a lack of sleep just colours everything.

Could there be a stimulant that is waking him up? Perhaps a light/the darkness, you or your oh moving in bed, the clothes he is wearing? I know my lo wouldn't sleep long in the light, even have to turn off the landing light so it's dark enough for her to stay asleep. How does he sleep during the day? In what way is it the same and different to how it is at night for him? Just it may be something to look at? :)

I told my mum I'd sit in with A and her dad tomorrow but I wish I didn't have to. A gets quite upset when she's in with him n I'm going to try and see if me being in there helps because I feel bad for both of them. But it makes me uncomfortable because he just wants to play happy families.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Murdywurdy A is exactly the same. She's always been a terrible sleeper and I've just resigned myself to it at this stage. She's cutting a second tooth, babbling lots, showing the first signs of wanting to crawl, sitting up on her own. All at 7.5 months so she's in a big hurry. We've tried most things suggested including formula and none if it made any difference.

During the day she's generally a content, placid little baby. She goes to bed without any problem at 6.45-7 but she could wake anytime from 10.30-1 and it's every 2 hours after that with perhaps one period of being wide awake (like now at 4am!)

We do it in turns so it's my turn tonight and I'll have a lie on tomorrow. Other than that I go to bed early and just hope things improve in the next few months.

This is our second and last so I'm trying to enjoy all the first things she does as we'll never go through it again. It's hard when you're exhausted though!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

How Strange and Murdy Wurdy, I don't have any solutions to add but just to let you know I'm in the same boat! He's 8 months now and it's only getting worse.

Like your LOs he goes down easy enough around 8 and generally wakes every hour until 12 and every 2 hours after that and often spends an hour awake in the middle of the night. He's just about to crawl so I know that's not helping and has no teeth yet!

I've tried everything and nothing works. Never thought I'd still be having such bad sleep 8 months on. He slept for 6 hours once in that 8 months! Going back to work in a few weeks and terrified of how tired I'm gonna be.

Anyway commiserations, hopefully some day we'll get some sleep!

Welcome to the club Drdoc. I'm back at work now and I actually find being in work easier after a bad night than being at home with a baby. I'm usually too busy to think about it so the day flies.

• Advertisement

At least I know we're not alone!

He was up every 20 minutes from midnight to 4am so I just stayed awake until then. At 4am my husband took over and J was awake from 4am - 5.30am finally going back asleep until 8am which was his longest stretch.

There is nothing wrong with him, he is not hungry or too hot or cold. He is in his own room so we're not disturbing him and there's no light getting into his room. There is no reason for it at all and we've tried everything. Nothing we do helps.

He's been awake at 4/5am the last 3 mornings and staying awake for an hour at least. We just don't know what to do. I'm completely exhausted today and feeling pretty helpless :(

Oh god Murdy that sounds exhausting. I know he's not going to magically get much better but maybe in a few days he'll improve a little. I find we cycle between absolutely terrible sleep like that and not as bad sleep, ie waking every 2 hours. Does your fella still have reflux? We're still on losec here. Just wondering if that could be contributing to the bad sleep for both of them.

HS that's good to hear about work. I don't know how you've energy for 2!

Yeah, last night was the worst he's ever been so I'm sure it's a bad phase - just when we want to put the no cry sleep solution in place! On the upside, we normally put him in the bed with us at 4/5 am but we persevered this morning and for the first time since sleeping in his own room he woke up in his own bed. I also got him to nap in there instead of on me earlier so it gives me hope.

I'm fairly sure his reflux is gone. We stopped the losec about 6/7 weeks ago and he seems fine. I'm thinking maybe teething is playing a part? GP said his bottom two are coming in and because he is so happy in general he may not be showing the pain through the day. He had a temp and a cold last week and he made a show of me at the docs - laughing and smiling at everyone so nobody believed me he was sick! He did have his 6 month vaccinations last Thursday too. How's your little one's reflux? It's a horrible thing :(

I just keep saying this too shall pass and playing that Darius Rucker song (it won't be like this for long). They do like to try us though, don't they?

I hope all the sleepless babies improve soon :)

This is the song:

It's embarrassingly cheesy but in my exhausted hormonal state it always makes me cry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Little baby is very sleepy today. She hasn't been awake for more than 2 hours in total since 8am. She's taking every opportunity possible to fall asleep. She's had 2 decent sleeps and several catnaps. She's in great form in between. I'd say she'll be murder to get to sleep tonight but don't want to wake her if she's tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Oh lord, I'm glad I read all your posts. We have a no sleeper here too... He's nearly 10 months though:( he went through a phase of sleeping through and only waking briefly for his dodie once or twice. For the past month or two he's been getting his first teeth and has had chest infection after chest infection. For the past week he had been in our bed by 1am every single night. I haven't had more than 5 hours sleep a night for a very long time :( I welcome any advice anyone can offer but like some of you, I've resigned myself to the fact that we just have a terrible sleeper on our hands

On/off topic, for those of you whose little ones had chest infections and coughs, did the doctor ever prescribe anything different than piñamox? Our little fella has been on an antibiotic (pinamox) for over a week now and while the wheezing and weight on his chest seems better, the cough is now choking him and he can't sleep at all with it. Going to the docs again tomorrow but just wondering if there's any hope of him getting any different medicine......

I'm a bit 'woe is me' tonight :(

Think A knew I was rushing to get her down.. fell asleep three times in my arms, was in what seemed like a deep sleep and woke up every time I put her down. She's exhausted and is going to end up falling asleep in my arms again. Bit annoyed that I assumed she'd go down quickly, but it's because she's been going down well for the past two weeks. She's downstairs with me now watching criminal minds.

Roesy wrote: »
    Little baby is very sleepy today. She hasn't been awake for more than 2 hours in total since 8am. She's taking every opportunity possible to fall asleep. She's had 2 decent sleeps and several catnaps. She's in great form in between. I'd say she'll be murder to get to sleep tonight but don't want to wake her if she's tired.

And the sleepiness continues. I fear a sleepless night is on the cards for me. She just seems exhausted today. Bet she'll wake in an hour as bright as a button.

We should have a bad sleepers anonymous thread! Funny how babies are so different. We're prepping ourselves for another bad night :( we've decided to slowly introduce the no cry sleep techniques instead of going hard out because with Christmas and the fact we're going skiing for a week over New Year there'll be no routine to speak of so it will be counter productive. I'm not big into the idea of baby books etc but I'll try anything at this stage! So after our holiday we'll be following it strictly

Your poor baba Yellow Hen :( we haven't had to go on antibiotics here yet so I can't advise but I know sleep is even harder to come by when they're sick

Sorry to hear you've one on your hands too yellow hen. How are you finding being back at work with so little sleep?
    Sorry to hear he's been sick as well, it makes things so much worse. Babies can be given augmentin or klacid as well by the way.

Murdy yeah the reflux is awful. Made for a very traumatising first 8 weeks for both baby and mum. I tried to reduce his losec a few weeks ago but symptoms started returning again so went back up to full dose.

Anyone else feel cheated by the baby sleep sites who promise your baby will sleep well once they can fall asleep independently?! I thought I'd have it all sorted once I cracked that, man was I disappointed!

• Advertisement

I thought once the reflux went he'd sleep, then when he moved to his own room, then when we started solids. None of it had any effect! I had to stop reading stuff online because it was driving me mad.

How many weeks is your little one now Drdoc? The reflux is awful, it did make for a rough start for us and tbh, I think that's one of the reasons he doesn't sleep well now. Habits formed then when he used to wake up in pain.

J was 6 months last week and I think we stopped the losec at about 20/21 weeks. We actually ran out and I didn't get a chance to get to the chemist to he didn't have any for two days, then we noticed he was fine and we stopped and since then it seems to have cleared completely. We started him on solids at 17 weeks (not because of the reflux but because he is a hungry beast). Some people start babies on solids early to help reflux but I''m really not sure if that's what helped him or if it was just the fact that it usually clears up between 16-20 weeks anyway.

So far tonight, he's been good. Last night my parents were babysitting until 11pm and he was up at 9pm wanting to hang out with him in the sitting room (which I think they secretly loved). Then he was up for a while at 11pm after we came in and the night just got worse from then. Tonight we were out at our church carol service until 8.30pm and we bathed and put him to bed when we got home. He was asleep straight away and not a peep out of him so far. Fingers crossed last night was the worst of it!

Roesy - the sleep training thing I've been reading says that babies actually sleep better at night if they have slept well during the day so hopefully you have a good night :)

I thought once the reflux went he'd sleep, then when he moved to his own room, then when we started solids. None of it had any effect! I had to stop reading stuff online because it was driving me mad.

How many weeks is your little one now Drdoc? The reflux is awful, it did make for a rough start for us and tbh, I think that's one of the reasons he doesn't sleep well now. Habits formed then when he used to wake up in pain.

J was 6 months last week and I think we stopped the losec at about 20/21 weeks. We actually ran out and I didn't get a chance to get to the chemist to he didn't have any for two days, then we noticed he was fine and we stopped and since then it seems to have cleared completely. We started him on solids at 17 weeks (not because of the reflux but because he is a hungry beast). Some people start babies on solids early to help reflux but I''m really not sure if that's what helped him or if it was just the fact that it usually clears up between 16-20 weeks anyway.

So far tonight, he's been good. Last night my parents were babysitting until 11pm and he was up at 9pm wanting to hang out with him in the sitting room (which I think they secretly loved). Then he was up for a while at 11pm after we came in and the night just got worse from then. Tonight we were out at our church carol service until 8.30pm and we bathed and put him to bed when we got home. He was asleep straight away and not a peep out of him so far. Fingers crossed last night was the worst of it!

Roesy - the sleep training thing I've been reading says that babies actually sleep better at night if they have slept well during the day so hopefully you have a good night :)

Murdy, she was up for an hour and half from 10ish and is asleep since. I'm wide awake since about 2.40. I'm so annoyed, was wrecked going to bed and have to be up and out before 9am :(
    Hope your night goes well.

I think it's important to remember (through the fog of constant sleeplessness ad perpetual tiredness) that babies under a year aren't biologically meant to sleep through the night. Waking up lots is a self preservation method to ensure they don't die during a deep sleep.

The baby sleep trainers have a lot to answer for as they make us think that trees something wrong with the biological norm. Then again they wouldn't make much money if they just said 'oh that's normal!'

It does change after one year and then again after they turn two.

Ugh A has been tough to deal with today. She's refusing to go asleep and the times she has slept its been in my arms so I'm knackered. Went out for my usual walk. I usually get three hours sleep out of her after that but she only slept 2/3 of the walk and woke at the end. Then as we got to my road she start falling asleep again so i went a roundabout way to the house. Got home and she woke the minute I opened the door. Tried rocking her for 15 minutes but she was just starting up at me. She probably won't go down tonight either even though she's exhausted. Baaahh :(

She has also discovered a noise she can make and it just happens to sound like she's choking on something and is gasping for air. It scares the fudge outta me every time she does it. Her breathing is fine, I've made sure a million times, she's happy and giggling, it's just she knows she'll get a reaction from me when she does it

Ugh A has been tough to deal with today. She's refusing to go asleep and the times she has slept its been in my arms so I'm knackered. Went out for my usual walk. I usually get three hours sleep out of her after that but she only slept 2/3 of the walk and woke at the end. Then as we got to my road she start falling asleep again so i went a roundabout way to the house. Got home and she woke the minute I opened the door. Tried rocking her for 15 minutes but she was just starting up at me. She probably won't go down tonight either even though she's exhausted. Baaahh :(

She has also discovered a noise she can make and it just happens to sound like she's choking on something and is gasping for air. It scares the fudge outta me every time she does it. Her breathing is fine, I've made sure a million times, she's happy and giggling, it's just she knows she'll get a reaction from me when she does it

She's rubbing her eyes and grunting. . Her sign of tiredness yet the minute I pick her up she goes crazy to get out

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Just popping in here guys, maybe our experience might help someone? we've had to get a sleep trainer as our twins were just getting worse for waking at night, would only sleep in buggy in the day, plus we were rocking or holding them to sleep.

I didn't want to do controlled crying etc and read all the books but couldn't sort it.

What has made a huge difference with one baby is making sure he gets enough sleep on the day: 3.5 hours at 7 months old. If he only gets 2 hours or so he falls asleep ok but then keeps waking later on.

also, no sleeping late in the morning, no matter how bad the night before. he falls asleep independently now, naps in his cot and now sleeps through the night. It took 2 weeks. There was some crying but I was always near the baby, reassuring him. Now I'm trying to sort out his brother...!

It's not for everyone but we were pretty desperate!

I think it's important to remember (through the fog of constant sleeplessness ad perpetual tiredness) that babies under a year aren't biologically meant to sleep through the night. Waking up lots is a self preservation method to ensure they don't die during a deep sleep.

The baby sleep trainers have a lot to answer for as they make us think that trees something wrong with the biological norm. Then again they wouldn't make much money if they just said 'oh that's normal!'

It does change after one year and then again after they turn two.

The sleep training book I read says it's natural for them to wake up once or twice a night and not to expect that to stop. It's the waking up every hour it tries to help you with and that's what is killing me!

Is there a growth spurt at 21 weeks? Annabelle has had 4 bottles in the last six hours

Is there a growth spurt at 21 weeks? Annabelle has had 4 bottles in the last six hours

There's a Wonder Week at 22.5 weeks after the baby's due date (I.e. They make a developmental leap). Have you read that book (there's an app too)? It's very good. I really recommend it.

J arrived at 39 weeks so I adjust how many weeks he is when following the leaps e.g a leap that starts at 22.5 weeks happened when he was 23.5 weeks as he was a week early. Was your baby born after your due date?

• Advertisement

There's a Wonder Week at 22.5 weeks after the baby's due date (I.e. They make a developmental leap). Have you read that book (there's an app too)? It's very good. I really recommend it.

J arrived at 39 weeks so I adjust how many weeks he is when following the leaps e.g a leap that starts at 22.5 weeks happened when he was 23.5 weeks as he was a week early. Was your baby born after your due date?

Yeah she was born a week late so she would have been 22 weeks if she was born on her due date.

Advertisement