Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Harummph. I was in Bewleys in grafton street earlier, waiting for my OH to collect Hugo (I was going to the panto with my sisters & their kids) A man sitting behind me asked how old Hugo was. He then went on to berate me, loudly and in an aggressive manner, about the evils of vaccinations, how they are made from mercury and aborted foetuses, and how they fry babies brains, give them autism and various other nasties.

I moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

nikpmup wrote: »
    Harummph. I was in Bewleys in grafton street earlier, waiting for my OH to collect Hugo (I was going to the panto with my sisters & their kids) A man sitting behind me asked how old Hugo was. He then went on to berate me, loudly and in an aggressive manner, about the evils of vaccinations, how they are made from mercury and aborted foetuses, and how they fry babies brains, give them autism and various other nasties.

I moved.

He is there the whole time. A right pain in the tush. Why do they allow him there all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Blueskye my little one is a fantastic day time napper, sleeps in her cot no problem, is wide awake at 6-7am every morning, goes to bed without a peep out of her at 7.

She's a conundrum wrapped up in a paradox as my dad would say.

As for how many times a baby 'should' wake up I think that's claptrap. Lots of people are light sleepers and toss and turn all night. I totally agree the waking every hour is a right pain. I dream of a 4 hour stretch. I think she did 4 hours together a few times since she was born. My son who was quite a good sleeper, not great but better than his sister, woke 3-5 times a night up to 1 year and then started sleeping longer.

It's funny how your life revolves around sleep or the lack of it when you've got young kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Blueskye my little one is a fantastic day time napper, sleeps in her cot no problem, is wide awake at 6-7am every morning, goes to bed without a peep out of her at 7.

She's a conundrum wrapped up in a paradox as my dad would say.

As for how many times a baby 'should' wake up I think that's claptrap. Lots of people are light sleepers and toss and turn all night. I totally agree the waking every hour is a right pain. I dream of a 4 hour stretch. I think she did 4 hours together a few times since she was born. My son who was quite a good sleeper, not great but better than his sister, woke 3-5 times a night up to 1 year and then started sleeping longer.

It's funny how your life revolves around sleep or the lack of it when you've got young kids.

I get great comfort when I read these posts that I haven't got an odd child! I do wish he slept more during the day to make up for the lack of sleep at night. I'm
    Hoping when this second tooth us fully up and the never ending chest infection actually does end, that sleep will improve again. I am actually dreading the next 4/5 nights as we'll be in grandparents houses and we'll be up half the night. You'd rather be in your own home.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    He is there the whole time. A right pain in the tush. Why do they allow him there all the time?

Jesus he was a nightmare. He looked at one point as if he was about to reach into the buggy - he'd have lost his bloody hand if he'd tried!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

He's 36 weeks now murdy and on solids since 26 weeks. Don't think they really made any difference to his reflux though. You've a good point about habits being formed early. Though I think he might just be a really light sleeper. The smallest stupidest things wake him up like the clip on my nursing bra!!

He's not a good napper during the day either which might be part of the problem. But no matter what I do I can't get him to nap for longer than 40mins at a time. I put him down at the first sign of tiredness. How did others ensure better daytime sleep?

He started crawling today, maybe he'll tire himself out and sleep better? Probably wishful thinking!!

Hope all the babas sleep well tonight!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Drdoc wrote: »
    MurdyWurdy wrote: »

How many weeks is your little one now Drdoc? The reflux is awful, it did make for a rough start for us and tbh, I think that's one of the reasons he doesn't sleep well now. Habits formed then

He's 36 weeks now and on solids since 26 weeks. Don't think they really made any difference to his reflux though. You've a good point about habits being formed early. Though I think he might just be a really light sleeper. The smallest stupidest things wake him up like the clip on my nursing bra!!

He's not a good napper during the day either which might be part of the problem. But no matter what I do I can't get him to nap for longer than 40mins at a time. I put him down at the first sign of tiredness. How did others ensure better daytime sleep?

He started crawling today, maybe he'll tire himself out and sleep better? Probably wishful thinking!!

My baby was a 40 min napper. Always was up until he went to creche at 11 months and nothing I did worked to get him to sleep any longer. Sometimes he would sleep a bit longer but that was a bit of a fluke the odd time. Now he is 19 months and has one nap, a good long one in the afternoon. I tried sleep training but in the end, saw that it was what worked for him and went with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Bedtime routine has gone out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

loubian wrote: »
    Bedtime routine has gone out the window

Maybe she's excited about Santa :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

J was up every 20 mins last night. And been he's standing in the cot and fallen and banging his head means I'm standing there to get him to sleep then I can go back to bed. 6 month bump tryin to bend into cot ain't fun.

The night before on daddy's night he went to bed early slept through till 5 not a peep the whole way, had a bottle and slept till half 8 how typical

• Advertisement

A woke up this morning with blood all over her face, hands, gro bag, and sheet. She'd scratched her face raw :( it definitely put a dampener on my day. She seems ok, she seems more tired than normal, and is a little subdued but has been in good form. I'm just so worried about it :( I'm wondering if it would be a reaction to the sma because she got it when she was about a month old and it keeps flaring up. It really seems to bother her when she's trying to go to sleep. She does this thing moving her head from side to side when she's going asleep, I thought it was a thing she did, just realised today that she's scratching her head because the back of her head is itchy :( I also think she's teething because she's going mad sucking on her gums and lower lip, and I thought her gums looked a little swollen. Ah I just feel so bad for her because she can't tell me what is wrong :( she's only just gone down; I'm exhausted. I'm going to bring her to the chemist tomorrow to get cream then bring her to the docs on Monday :(

Every two hours she is starving! What is happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Every two hours she is starving! What is happening?
    mine us the same. 2-3 hours since birth. takes 4 oz every time . it's called growth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I love my boy but when he refuses to take his afternoon nap and spends the next 4 hours until bedtime like an absolute demon child I just want to drop him off with the first takers.

Mommy needs a beer. Stat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Drdoc wrote: »
    He's 36 weeks now murdy and on solids since 26 weeks. Don't think they really made any difference to his reflux though. You've a good point about habits being formed early. Though I think he might just be a really light sleeper. The smallest stupidest things wake him up like the clip on my nursing bra!!

My little fella never had proper naps until he was walking. He had the odd few disco naps throughout the day and then as soon as he started walking it was like a switch went off! One morning nap and one afternoon nap like I had always heard and dreamt about lol he is three in three weeks though and we still have rough nights. When he is 18 and hungover I'll be kicking him out of the bed lol his sister on the other hand is an absolute dream. She loves her beauty sleep and takes plenty lol

Hi everyone else, hope everyone had a fab Xmas. My little one has finally started sitting for long periods without falling so had a very peaceful Xmas! Getting 20 to 30 minutes of her sitting on the floor playing with all her new toys. In a lovely phase now. The easy part before they start walking and it gets hard again lol

Was Santa good to all the mammys and babies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Also a tip for the disco nappers... My son could quiet happily wake after ten minute nap so if I needed to get something done I left him sleeping beside my very loud tumble drier. It sent him off and if I was doing something noisey the drier would drown it out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

mine us the same. 2-3 hours since birth. takes 4 oz every time . it's called growth

Or it could be called reflux/ silent reflux as a lot of babies comfort eat to help with the pain in their stomachs.

Just back from the week from hell. Feeling both crap and relieved at once. And the Sky is out. Píssed off doesn't quite cover it. On the upside. No more MIL!!!!! (No I didn't kill her!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Just back from the week from hell. Feeling both crap and relieved at once. And the Sky is out. Píssed off doesn't quite cover it. On the upside. No more MIL!!!!! (No I didn't kill her!)

You sure she is still cackling over her witches pot and you didn't push her in :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Her son must really be worth it to put up with her ;)

• Advertisement

bp wrote: »
    You sure she is still cackling over her witches pot and you didn't push her in :-)

She actually started cackling pretty psychotically. It worried us.

No she started bullying and being very malicious to our son, so we called it quits. She was actually verbally and psychologically abusive TO A 4 YEAR OLD. She was horrible about the baby too! At first he thought she was joking, his little heart broke when he realised she wasn't. But he was so strong. He stood up to her. I am so proud of him!

No one dares to even consider doing that crap to my babies!!!! I went Mama bear on her sad ass! Daddy defended them too.
    Her son must really be worth it to put up with her ;)

Sure no more of her now, she will be a long time waiting for me to bring my kids near her again. For all her BS, he chose his kids (and in turn me) over her, that will eat at her for years to come.

Sometimes you just have to. Imagine being in any way mean to a 4 yr old at Christmas! Wench.

Speaking of MIL's, mine is in hospital tonight with suspected DVT in her hand. She's been getting steadily frailer over the last year. Her 83 year old sister collapsed on Christmas Day :( 2 ambulances in 4 days - the sisters fine TG. My OH is in the hosp with her now. I have some sort of bug, I've the shivers and aches and a temp but I can't really complain to himself about it! Little man is just gone down thank god, hopefully he'll stay there! He's getting ready made bottles tomorrow - I can't be fecked washing & sterilising & making up formula. Hope he doesn't catch it. He's just over a cold.

Get well soon nikpmup.

My poor little monkey was quite uncomfortable with reflux this evening and just generally wasn't herself. She's been bubbling a lot at the mouth lately and we were wiping it. Obviously we weren't catching all of it though as we noticed that her poor little neck is quite red and sore looking in the fold. Feel quite bad over it! Bibs all the time from here on in. Gave it a good clean in the bath and dried it very well. So hopefully now we've spotted it we can get it cleared up quickly. She loves the bath and is so cute and happy inside in it. She's getting much better when we take her out too. Before she used go mad when she was finished.

Roesy wrote: »
    Get well soon nikpmup.

My poor little monkey was quite uncomfortable with reflux this evening and just generally wasn't herself. She's been bubbling a lot at the mouth lately and we were wiping it. Obviously we weren't catching all of it though as we noticed that her poor little neck is quite red and sore looking in the fold. Feel quite bad over it! Bibs all the time from here on in. Gave it a good clean in the bath and dried it very well. So hopefully now we've spotted it we can get it cleared up quickly. She loves the bath and is so cute and happy inside in it. She's getting much better when we take her out too. Before she used go mad when she was finished.

Lansinoh nipple cream makes a great barrier cream, rub it between your fingers to soften it first. My little man is starting to like the bath too :) and he doesn't squeal like we're murdering him when we take him out, provided the towels are fresh off the radiator!

I'm in bits & getting worse. He's stuck in a&e for probably the rest of the night. No one to mind me!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Roesy wrote: »
    Get well soon nikpmup.

My woman is the same. My niece now calls her bubbles cause its a constant fixture. She got sore on her neck a few weeks ago when it started and I put sudocream on it after her bath and it was gone in the morning. Now just use bibs and the nights I dont bath her I just wash her neck with a facecloth to make sure and she's been grand since. Don't be so hard on yourself :)

Madisson wrote: »
    My woman is the same. My niece now calls her bubbles cause its a constant fixture. She got sore on her neck a few weeks ago when it started and I put sudocream on it after her bath and it was gone in the morning. Now just use bibs and the nights I dont bath her I just wash her neck with a facecloth to make sure and she's been grand since. Don't be so hard on yourself :)

I've just remembered the same thing happened in his armpit, I reckon it was vomit or milk dribbles. Healed up quick enough. :) we're new at this Roesy!

My lady has redness and rash from teething too. She also has a smelly armpit because she drools and spits up so much it keeps getting soaked. I go through about 5 bibs a day and she is still going. Thank goodness I wash her every day!

Oh, a side note, she has had her horrific rash on her nether regions for several weeks. I have tried every cream on the market. Been to doctors constantly. Nothing working. The best I could do was prevent it bleeding again. Decided to go to the pharmacist in Clare the other day. He suggested it was a fungal rash. I can see the skin lightening back to normal. Dear God, why it is so hard to figure out what is wrong with them sometimes. All the pain she has been through, and it was so easily relieved, not that I think the doctors should have known immediately, I just get annoyed at her pain. Poor baba!

My lady has redness and rash from teething too. She also has a smelly armpit because she drools and spits up so much it keeps getting soaked. I go through about 5 bibs a day and she is still going. Thank goodness I wash her every day!

Oh, a side note, she has had her horrific rash on her nether regions for several weeks. I have tried every cream on the market. Been to doctors constantly. Nothing working. The best I could do was prevent it bleeding again. Decided to go to the pharmacist in Clare the other day. He suggested it was a fungal rash. I can see the skin lightening back to normal. Dear God, why it is so hard to figure out what is wrong with them sometimes. All the pain she has been through, and it was so easily relieved, not that I think the doctors should have known immediately, I just get annoyed at her pain. Poor baba!

I know, I hate seeing her in pain. Went to the chemist on Thursday and the pharmacist said it's more than likely eczema and to avoid wool, all bath stuff, just a mixture of silcocks base and she gave me aveeno cream to use as well. She's still going mad with the itching :( she's had socks permanently on her hands since Christmas day! She's so frustrated from teething then she can't get a good chew on her hands coz they're in socks, then she can't scratch (which is good obviously) n she gets more frustrated! I sometimes scratch her head for her just in case it helped! I'm bringing her to the doc tomorrow before it gets worse :( I just feel so helpless! I'm putting cream on and while it's helping a little, it's not taking away the itch :( poor little things :(

I know, I hate seeing her in pain. Went to the chemist on Thursday and the pharmacist said it's more than likely eczema and to avoid wool, all bath stuff, just a mixture of silcocks base and she gave me aveeno cream to use as well. She's still going mad with the itching :( she's had socks permanently on her hands since Christmas day! She's so frustrated from teething then she can't get a good chew on her hands coz they're in socks, then she can't scratch (which is good obviously) n she gets more frustrated! I sometimes scratch her head for her just in case it helped! I'm bringing her to the doc tomorrow before it gets worse :( I just feel so helpless! I'm putting cream on and while it's helping a little, it's not taking away the itch :( poor little things :(

My little girl is on a regime of only baking soda and water. No bathing products. Canesten for her rash 3 times a day and Morhulin other times because of the high zinc levels to deal with keeping it from getting worse between the treatments. I also use talcum powder to dry the creases in her neck so that there is none there. Xmas week is hell, there is no where opened to help.

• Advertisement

It's already looking a bit better today thankfully!

Advertisement