Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Went to the doc and got some cream with antibiotics and anti itch solution. I've only applied it twice but it's already getting better! She's not scratching as much and wasn't moving her head like mad on the sheets! I changed her sheet to one like we use in bed and I think it's helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Poor little man has a vomiting/diarrhoea bug by the looks of things. What is the rule of thumb for feeding him with this? If he's hungry for his morning bottle is it ok to give it to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

yellow hen wrote: »
    Poor little man has a vomiting/diarrhoea bug by the looks of things. What is the rule of thumb for feeding him with this? If he's hungry for his morning bottle is it ok to give it to him?

I would imagine keep feeding him to stop him getting dehydrated, but I'm no expert - ask a doc or pharmacist. Hope he's better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Plenty of fluids - I know loads of people who caught this so be careful. Also keep your hands clean and sterilise the toys etc to stop it spreading.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Jnr keeps doing his pooh in his sleep and it's burning the bum off him. I always gave him cherry blossom bread as it was dairy free but now, in recent weeks I'm worried it's not agreeing with him. Grrrrr it's just been one thing after another for the last 2 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Formula is one of the best things because it will keep him fed and hydrated! I had a book before for do's and don't with bug. When my little guy had it I just stuck mainly with bottle feeds and decreased solid food a bit until it passed.

Formula is one of the best things because it will keep him fed and hydrated! I had a book before for do's and don't with bug. When my little guy had it I just stuck mainly with bottle feeds and decreased solid food a bit because he wouldn't eat. If he skipped a meal I gave him a bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

loubian wrote: »
    Went to the doc and got some cream with antibiotics and anti itch solution. I've only applied it twice but it's already getting better! She's not scratching as much and wasn't moving her head like mad on the sheets! I changed her sheet to one like we use in bed and I think it's helped!

Glad she is getting some relief, it is so horrible seeing them in pain. I obsess over what sheets are washed in what and that her blankets are never in contact with things that could cause irritation. When they suffer, so do we.

I cannot believe Saoirse's bottom, it is nearly back to normal. I want to cry with happiness. It is the first time in over 2 months parts of it are not red raw.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Glad she is getting some relief, it is so horrible seeing them in pain. I obsess over what sheets are washed in what and that her blankets are never in contact with things that could cause irritation. When they suffer, so do we.

I cannot believe Saoirse's bottom, it is nearly back to normal. I want to cry with happiness. It is the first time in over 2 months parts of it are not red raw.

So glad to hear your little ones bottom is doing much better. I never really had problems with my sons skin but I think I will with this little one as she was dry as a bone when she was born. Cracked broken skin in her little creases :-( much better now she is older but put the odd drop of liquid parafin in her bath (was afraid to use baby oil in summer incase she got fried even though she was always in the shade lol)

Also if he is on solids don't give anything with high sugar content such as fruit or fruit juice. Sugar will run right through.

• Advertisement

Btw happy new year everyone! Was anyone lucky enough to get a sitter? It's our wedding anniversary today but were house bound so provided the kids go to sleep for us I'm going to stick on some steaks and open our fancy wine and chocolates. Parents are taking the babies overnight Friday so we can go for a meal. Woohoo freedom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I know I complain about him so much but he's being so unfair. A's dad is an emotional manipulator and I fought with myself for 9 months as to whether i wanted him involved. Ultimately i did. He didn't take much interest in the first three months and then started saying i refused access. Through the advice of a solicitor, we agreed to try access. It's been a rough start but I thought we were getting somewhere. I've even been comfortable enough to sit in with them. Again through the advice of my solicitor, we are going to mediation. But of course, he objects. I am still going because I'm getting a third party to supervise as we discuss the ins and outs of a's care. Now he is saying that I'm a mean b*tch because I won't meet him on my own, that I never said sorry for not putting his name on the birth certificate and I never said sorry for "denying" him access. All the stress he put me in during pregnancy is over looked, all the effect this is having on me, and ultimately our child, isn't even a factor in his head. He only cares about himself. He showed up a day earlier last week pretending he got the day wrong even though I specifically told him day and time and tried to make it out to be my fault. I'm just so sick of this. We have worked with him so he can see A. He has booked jobs in the time he was meant to see her, and we've changed time for him. But he's ALWAYS trying to start an argument with me and I am just so sick of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

loubian wrote: »
    I know I complain about him so much but he's being so unfair. A's dad is an emotional manipulator and I fought with myself for 9 months as to whether i wanted him involved. Ultimately i did. He didn't take much interest in the first three months and then started saying i refused access. Through the advice of a solicitor, we agreed to try access. It's been a rough start but I thought we were getting somewhere. I've even been comfortable enough to sit in with them. Again through the advice of my solicitor, we are going to mediation. But of course, he objects. I am still going because I'm getting a third party to supervise as we discuss the ins and outs of a's care. Now he is saying that I'm a mean b*tch because I won't meet him on my own, that I never said sorry for not putting his name on the birth certificate and I never said sorry for "denying" him access. All the stress he put me in during pregnancy is over looked, all the effect this is having on me, and ultimately our child, isn't even a factor in his head. He only cares about himself. He showed up a day earlier last week pretending he got the day wrong even though I specifically told him day and time and tried to make it out to be my fault. I'm just so sick of this. We have worked with him so he can see A. He has booked jobs in the time he was meant to see her, and we've changed time for him. But he's ALWAYS trying to start an argument with me and I am just so sick of it :(

That is so crap :(
    A friend of mine has had similar issues with her child's father, it's so unfair. Nobody wins with that kind of behaviour.
    I hope he cops himself on, and realises that everyone has to play ball for things to run smoothly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Jennii.

My wee one won't sleep through, she's on 3 feeds a day, full tins of baby food, or dinners and she's not even six months. I wouldn't mind waking once, but it's up to 6 times a night and we're up at 6:30 as I have college. I am so tired, I can barely drive anymore. She's such a handful, I have to study at night after she's fallen asleep, she won't nap.. I'm at my wits and end and to top it off, she'll only sleep in our bed with us. I'd keep trying to get her in the cot, she'll sleep 1/2 hour at most and wake SCREAMING, and won't stop for about an hour, there's just too much hassle involved, if I didn't need my sleep I might keep at it, but I really am just looking for an easy way out. So wrecked. Sorry for the moan, needed it out. :') Great page!

Jennii. wrote: »
    My wee one won't sleep through, she's on 3 feeds a day, full tins of baby food, or dinners and she's not even six months. I wouldn't mind waking once, but it's up to 6 times a night and we're up at 6:30 as I have college. I am so tired, I can barely drive anymore. She's such a handful, I have to study at night after she's fallen asleep, she won't nap.. I'm at my wits and end and to top it off, she'll only sleep in our bed with us. I'd keep trying to get her in the cot, she'll sleep 1/2 hour at most and wake SCREAMING, and won't stop for about an hour, there's just too much hassle involved, if I didn't need my sleep I might keep at it, but I really am just looking for an easy way out. So wrecked. Sorry for the moan, needed it out. :') Great page!

There are sleep advisors (there is a better word but brain not working post New Years party plus baby) who can advise on sleep training etc

Jennii you have my sympathy, that sounds very rough. Before you explore sleep therapists, could you chat to your gp about her diet? Maybe there's something disagreeing with her and she's sore or uncomfortable. Poor mite might just not be able to sleep with pain. We had lots of digestive problems here and our son was a terrible sleeper. He's vastly improved now by changing his formula etc.
    Maybe worth a try anyway.

So at 3am, while rocking my crying baby, I thought what a start to 2014 - being awake at 3 knowing I will be up by 7. They it hit me, I have my beautiful baby in my arms who wants/ needs/ loves me and I should be grateful. Then I realised it was the best way ever to start 2014. With love :-)

bp wrote: »
    So at 3am, while rocking my crying baby, I thought what a start to 2014 - being awake at 3 knowing I will be up by 7. They it hit me, I have my beautiful baby in my arms who wants/ needs/ loves me and I should be grateful. Then I realised it was the best way ever to start 2014. With love :-)

It's hard when you're tired for remember that what you have in your arms is all you dreamed of. This Christmas i tried to do just that and instead of being upset over negative equity, a very small house and a job I don't love, we gave money to the boards childrens charity appeal and tried to remember how lucky we are. We (I) get so preoccupied with money and the future sometimes that I forget to live for the here and now.

It can be very very hard - but that moment of clarity is always brilliant :-)

Good luck in 2014 and go get that job you love :-)

It's hard when you're tired for remember that what you have in your arms is all you dreamed of. This Christmas i tried to do just that and instead of being upset over negative equity, a very small house and a job I don't love, we gave money to the boards childrens charity appeal and tried to remember how lucky we are. We (I) get so preoccupied with money and the future sometimes that I forget to live for the here and now.

Well said yellow hen! I always try to live in the moment because you never know when you are going to have to leave this world but sometimes it is hard when things arent going right. I think it gets much easier when your settled into family life. I think I said this before but on your first you have a massive life adjustment and it can be so tough. When they are little it's so hard but you get better as the years go by of accepting the nature of parenthood and they also get easier as they get older. That's very little consolation though when the bags under your eyes are dragging on the floor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

Started couch to 5k today! Time for the baby weight to go! Breastfeeding and my little girls intolerance to chocolate has helped but really want to get it off now! A new year a new me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm on a fitness buzz too. I've got to start running again. I've recently started to miss it so I'm going to have to motivate myself to get out on dark wintry nights. I'm also going to start pilates and yoga to try fix my aching back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

lmullen wrote: »
    Started couch to 5k today! Time for the baby weight to go! Breastfeeding and my little girls intolerance to chocolate has helped but really want to get it off now! A new year a new me!!
    Best of luck with it! It's a great programme. I did it a few years ago and now have two marathons done and hoping to do a third next year after the baby arrives.

If I could offer one piece of advice, it would be to run slowly at first. Concentrate on getting the distance up first and then you can think about working on your speed. A lot of people run too fast, are wrecked after each running segment and give up on the whole thing! Also, don't be afraid of repeating a week if you find one particularly tough.

Best of luck, it's a great feeling running 5k for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

ncmc wrote: »
    Best of luck with it! It's a great programme. I did it a few years ago and now have two marathons done and hoping to do a third next year after the baby arrives.

If I could offer one piece of advice, it would be to run slowly at first. Concentrate on getting the distance up first and then you can think about working on your speed. A lot of people run too fast, are wrecked after each running segment and give up on the whole thing! Also, don't be afraid of repeating a week if you find one particularly tough.

Best of luck, it's a great feeling running 5k for the first time.

I used to do a bit of running pre babies - always at a pretty gentle pace so it'll be more of the same this time round!

I have so much respect for all you girls getting out there and getting fit. I'm so lazy when it comes to those things. We have a free gym in work that does all sorts of different classes and I'm working there 6 years and couldn't even tell you what the inside of the gym looks like. I would feel really paranoid going in because I don't know what I'm doing and think I would look ridiculous. If I went out for a run I would prob do the phoebe from friends run ha ha fair play girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I just got used to almost sleeping through the night and now it's all changed again! She had around 4-5 nights of going down around 10 and sleeping until anywhere between 5 and 7.40. If she woke around 5/6ish she'd have a quick bottle and a dirty nappy then straight back to sleep. If she woke closer to 7 she'd have a bottle and stay up for around an hour and go back again then. The last 3 nights she's been tossing and turning around 3-4 o clock and doing a big dirty nappy which involves changing her so then she looks for a feed. Now she does go back within the hour but it's amazing how quickly you get used to having that extra couple of hours sleep. Thought I was going to be one of those lucky things whose 8 week olds slot through the night. I suppose there's nothing to be done except have a little moan I suppose! Reading over some of the posts on here I know I'm still not badly off in terms of her sleeping though.

So yesterday evening, I consulted Annabell Karmel for some new recipe ideas for a 10month old. Amongst other things, I made a pear, apple and apricot puree (pear and apricot being good for the little mans bowels) and then mixed the puree into a batter mix (milk, butter, egg, plain flour and a touch of bicarb). The pancakes were lovely but as the mix was so thick, they were a little dense. Anyway, the little man had a little bit and devoured it. Roll on to 12am, he woke up roaring crying with a stomach as hard as the floor. 2 hours later, we finally settled him. Needless to say, he wont be eating those pancakes again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

My almost 9month old is back to waking constantly at night. Both my partner and myself are exhausted and we've ended up bringing into the bed just to get some kind of sleep.

On top of exhaustion, he head-butted my nose so hard this morning that by whole face is killing me :(

It's not a good day at the the office!

Nead21 wrote: »
    On top of exhaustion, he head-butted my nose so hard this morning that by whole face is killing me :(

Try that along with a finger up your nose. It was so painful that he made my nose bleed everywhere :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Top that with a finger poke in the eye resulting in a scratched cornea and intermittent extreme dry eye and pain. Being a mother is such fun at times!

Advertisement