Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Nead21 wrote: »
    My almost 9month old is back to waking constantly at night. Both my partner and myself are exhausted and we've ended up bringing into the bed just to get some kind of sleep.

On top of exhaustion, he head-butted my nose so hard this morning that by whole face is killing me :(

It's not a good day at the the office!
    Yep my near 9 month old has been doin this daily to me the eyebrow and the nose get it a lot and iv had a couple of bruised and bust lips. No one believes Jack does it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My 20 month old was climbing on to the couch beside me earlier and used my boob as a handle to hoist herself up. She gave me such a fright along with the pain that I let a roar at her (jeez pregnancy boobs are sore enough without using them as handles). She gave me a sad look but a quick cuddle sorted that. She was getting up to play with a sticker book and pulled one off and stuck it to my boob and laughed .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Had my first experience of a&e with my LO....he crushed his hand in a door at my childminders and had a huge cut on his hand that was bleeding everywhere. After a quick gp visit and a 6 and some change hour wait in the a&e no fracture thankfully just some stitches and a dressing and I get to return Friday for a dressing change.

I'm pretty sure I aged 10 years today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Had my first experience of a&e with my LO....he crushed his hand in a door at my childminders and had a huge cut on his hand that was bleeding everywhere. After a quick gp visit and a 6 and some change hour wait in the a&e no fracture thankfully just some stitches and a dressing and I get to return Friday for a dressing change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

4am.....yep time to wake up mammy and cry :-( this is what baby refusing to nap does :-(

• Advertisement

Rachineire wrote: »

Yep I had a visit with my 8 month old a week before Christmas when he starting standing in his cot and he fell hit his head off a toy but managed to cut his head. Mean cut but no stitches thank god it swelled something shocking. But within the week bruises were gone and cut was really well healed. Didn't stop me worrying. I wouldn let him sleep for hours so he missed a nap that day but slept right through the night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Yep my near 9 month old has been doin this daily to me the eyebrow and the nose get it a lot and iv had a couple of bruised and bust lips. No one believes Jack does it

I got an empty bottle to my left eyebrow last week that bruised and a few days later I got a block to the right one! People are going to start talking!!:)

I know they don't believe a baby is strong enough. My husband got a bad bruise to the nose and said it was me that did it :-( shocking thing to say!!

Last night Jack bit his arm and just broke the skin with his 4 teeth. (2 more nearly through) I should prob worry about the biting but at 9 months nothing I can do yet

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

Both my girls seem to have decided that a full nights sleep is overrated!

And we have a tummy bug :-( puke-tastic

• Advertisement

bp wrote: »

Yep same here such a day and night. Started wish him not eating then last night puke everywhere and no better this morning. Poor little man already one load been washed now and I bet another by tonight.

Yep same here such a day and night. Started wish him not eating then last night puke everywhere and no better this morning. Poor little man already one load been washed now and I bet another by tonight.

I think we had three loads....all the bedding, clothes an towel. Followed by my clothes and then sick again this morning. Drank loads of water earlier so hopefully it is a good sign

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Hhhmmmm.... I had a dodgy tum the other night, I put it down to something I ate, but OH has it now - hope it's not a bug!

I think we had three loads....all the bedding, clothes an towel. Followed by my clothes and then sick again this morning. Drank loads of water earlier so hopefully it is a good sign

Yeah this mornin only some of his breakfast came up now we're doin the ounce every 20 mins or so if he allows just to get something into him. I did all the bed sheets and towels thankfully he missed my clothes so just his sleepbag and babygrow. He wouldn't settle last night so he slept with me from 12 till 3 and then put him in the cot when I knew he was ok and slept till near 9

Yeah this mornin only some of his breakfast came up now we're doin the ounce every 20 mins or so if he allows just to get something into him. I did all the bed sheets and towels thankfully he missed my clothes so just his sleepbag and babygrow. He wouldn't settle last night so he slept with me from 12 till 3 and then put him in the cot when I knew he was ok and slept till near 9

Poor babba....and mamma

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I went to a kids birthday party today and I had Saoirse in my arms the whole day looking around happy out. Anyway she loves staring at people eating, she wants whatever they have. Adults started coming over trying to give her chickatees and chocolate! She is 5 months old! Honestly, I worry about some people.

Jack is 9 months today and every time I turn around someone has given him something else. I know he's gettin on a bit but some things he'll stuff in his mouth and choke. Drives me mad. I always ask before given anything even to a 5 year old

I would be so p*ssed off if someone did that to my child. My nephew is just about two and his parents get filthy looks when they refuse to give him chocolate/ cake etc - mental stuff.

When give it to them if they don't know what it is. It's not like he thinks he's missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Somebody gave my son, then about 8 months a raw stick of rhubarb "to chew on"...
    Emm don't ya mean choke on?! No thank you!

Yes people are nearly put out that they can't give my son a drink of juice!! When I say just water I get the whole "aaaaaaahhh" ****e!!

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape because you have your way and they have there's. I just always thought it was good manners to ask first before giving something to someone else's child.

• Advertisement

I'd like some advice on sleeping from experienced mommies! My lad has monster sleeps, at 14 weeks old he'll happily sleep 10 hours at night. His problem is going to sleep. He'll only fall asleep in my/OH's arms, usually with a good deal of crying, ear pulling and wriggling. After a few minutes of shushing and rocking he'll nod off. We place him in the cot, and he'll either (a) wake immediately and cry - back up, rock, shush, fall asleep, back into cot, or (b) we'll place him in the cot, he'll sleep for 10 minutes, or 20, or 45 - and wake up crying, back up, rock, shush, sleep, back in. He might do this five times before he falls asleep for the night. Last night we started putting him down at 8pm, it was after 9.30pm when he finally slept. This happens whether we put him down early or late, and happens night time and nap time. (Naps during the day are haphazard, he keeps changing his pattern - at the moment he's going for a nap about 11am - 1pm, bottle, then another nap about 2/3pm till 4/5pm, and I'm trying to get him down sometime after 8pm)
    Now, while I know it's great that he's sleeping through the night at 14 weeks, I'd like to get him into falling asleep independently. He will fall asleep by himself in the pram or car seat if we're out, he has practically fallen asleep sitting up on occasion so I know he can do it. He hates the dodie, won't take it (despite my best efforts!) I think he'll soon be looking for a blankie or teddy, he tends to clutch at clothing or the muslin when he's feeding or falling asleep.
    Can anyone recommend a book/technique that worked for similar sleep issues? Is he too young to be implementing them? As I've said, once he's down, he will sleep the night through, I'd just love to be able to get him to fall asleep by himself!
    Gonna post this in the newborn chat thread as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think the ability to fall asleep independently comes in time. My daughter really struggled to go to sleep up to 16 weeks and would only sleep on me so I'd have to go to bed with her around 8pm. Then around 16 weeks I put her in her cot at 7pm and she just went to sleep. Since then she's been great for going to bed although still a terrible sleeper and I'd sell a kidney for a 10 hour stretch.

I'm reading Elizabeth Pantleys No Cry Sleep Solution to help us improve our daughters sleep. It might be useful for you too as it covers small babies up to toddlers and older children. It's very gentle and after only a week we've had some minor success although she stresses it isn't a quick fix book and it takes a few weeks to see real improvement.

I think the ability to fall asleep independently comes in time. My daughter really struggled to go to sleep up to 16 weeks and would only sleep on me so I'd have to go to bed with her around 8pm. Then around 16 weeks I put her in her cot at 7pm and she just went to sleep. Since then she's been great for going to bed although still a terrible sleeper and I'd sell a kidney for a 10 hour stretch.

I'm reading Elizabeth Pantleys No Cry Sleep Solution to help us improve our daughters sleep. It might be useful for you too as it covers small babies up to toddlers and older children. It's very gentle and after only a week we've had some minor success although she stresses it isn't a quick fix book and it takes a few weeks to see real improvement.

I was looking at that book on amazon, I like the idea of it as opposed to CIO techniques. I've just spent 25 mins soothing a near hysterical little man - he only slept for 40 mins this morning, he's up since 6am :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It's so frustrating when they only sleep for 40 minutes as it's pretty much useless as they're tired an hour later. Sometimes I catch her just as she's waking up after 40 minutes and get her resettled. Sometimes not though :(

Yes I'd recommend that book. It's very short but you'd probably find yourself reading it a few times over the next couple of years when his sleep gets disrupted because of teething, being sick, on holidays etc.

Her techniques have helped us get her sleepy very quickly during our nightly play session so we're all back in bed within 20 minutes as opposed to an hour. We've also been able to resettle her at 5am so she's getting up at 6.45-7 instead of 5ish. As I said minor successes!

There's nothing revolutionary in the book. It's pretty much common sense but it's hard to be logical when you're exhausted with a non sleeping baby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi all. I wish I had gone on boards and seen this thread earlier, because I can see myself in some of the posts from other users about how they are/were feeling after the birth of their babies.

I haven't been on the pregnancy / parenting boards since the birth of my son in Dec. Just before Christmas I was hit with baby blues /PND (am still not sure which it was) and am only starting to come back to myself now.

I never realized how much I need my sleep. I think the sleep deprivation was not helping me at all. My little one was also taking an hour and a half to breastfeed each time - even the night feeds. I saw my doc and amongst other help/advice, she told me to switch to the bottle, which we did and that was a huge weight lifted. He was able to feed quicker and settled quicker, which gave me more sleep and my husband was able to take on some of the feeding.

I did want him to have the best and that's why I was so looking forward to breastfeeding, but I think it's more important that he has a healthy mammy.

I didn't expect to feel so bad after the birth - I was full sure that everything would be sunshine and lollipops. As it turned out, my hubby was the one who was on cloud nine and I was struggling to deal with my thoughts and feelings.

I would advise any new mammies who are feeling depressed to talk about it to your friends/family/ GP. The sooner you address it, the sooner it can be turned around and you can begin to enjoy your new little bundle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Cunning stunt I was the very same. I had heard about the baby blues a few days in but I was not expecting to cry every day for a month!! Thank god I just woke up one day and felt like myself. It was a shocker though and cast a bit of a cloud over my first few weeks with my first child. I kept waiting for the 6 week mark then coz everyone kept telling me that's when it gets better and I feel like I was wishing those weeks away. It does get better though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Well done for seeking help Cunning Stunt, so many are too scared/embarrassed and in truth, there is no reason to be. Sorry that bfing didn't work out for you, it is great if it does, but as you said yourself, if it is causing more problems than anything else, baby and you are better off on formula. A healthy and happier mammy is far more important!

Okay, I know he is not even 5 yet, but I want to kill Aidan some days. He shouts for no reason, and after a whole afternoon of Saoirse cranky, I was so relieved to get her to sleep. 5 minutes later, he bursts into the room and shouts "Mommy". I know he forgets, but I just get so angry. At nearly 5 he should remember 95% of the time not to shout. I dunno. It really is a huge leap from 1 kid to 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Well done for seeking help Cunning Stunt, so many are too scared/embarrassed and in truth, there is no reason to be. Sorry that bfing didn't work out for you, it is great if it does, but as you said yourself, if it is causing more problems than anything else, baby and you are better off on formula. A healthy and happier mammy is far more important!

Okay, I know he is not even 5 yet, but I want to kill Aidan some days. He shouts for no reason, and after a whole afternoon of Saoirse cranky, I was so relieved to get her to sleep. 5 minutes later, he bursts into the room and shouts "Mommy". I know he forgets, but I just get so angry. At nearly 5 he should remember 95% of the time not to shout. I dunno. It really is a huge leap from 1 kid to 2!

I feel you lol my son is only 3 but my god is he loud. Forever waking the baby. He understands indoor/outdoor voice rule but he just doesn't care because he is 3 so he doesn't have to lol I always have to remember to "love gently" and practice as much patience with him until these trying years pass!

I have a question for any mamas that might have had issues with breast abcess after breast feeding. I had one and had a while of weekly aspiration and anti biotics! The stupid thing has reappeared grrrr and I'm wondering if I can get an appointment straight through the breast clinic or will I have to go back to my GP for referal? Also it's wiping me out with cold sweats and flu symptoms and I'm just wondering would normal over the counter flu medication help with the symptoms? Any advice would be much appreciated :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Two puking kids is not fun.

• Advertisement

Weird moan - the bit of my belly above my c-section is numb, but I have an itch. I can feel the itch but I can't feel the scratch. Driving me mental.

Advertisement