Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Roesy wrote: »
    Grrr, wide awake! She was good enough while I was out. A couple of grizzly spells but otherwise fine. She's conked since 11 and I'm awake since she started stirring around 5ish. Husband got up and settled her and will get up if she wakes and will get up this morning with her so I really should be happily snoring my head off and thanking the Lord that I'm not too hungover(yet!).

Roesy, our children are seriously sharing a sleep schedule! Every time your lady is up, Hugo seems to psychically connect with her and up he gets too!! Happy hangover!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

nikpmup wrote: »
    Roesy, our children are seriously sharing a sleep schedule! Every time your lady is up, Hugo seems to psychically connect with her and up he gets too!! Happy hangover!!

Sleep twins! Hopefully they'll both have a good night. Thankfully the hangover didn't get too bad and the in-laws were hankering for their weekly baby fix so we dropped her to them for a couple of hours and went dishwasher shopping. They kept her for an extra hour or two and dropped her home so we got a chance to chill out. It was hilarious though, by hour no.4 we were both watching the clock dying for her to come home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Haha I'm the same. I love handing him over to someone else, but two minutes later I'm asking can I have him back for a cuddle. :o

My baby somehow managed to puke down the back of his babygro in his sleep.

I hadn't noticed until I caught him trying to rotate his head 180 degrees, exorcist-style, so he could eat it.

Li'l weirdo! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

My baby somehow managed to puke down the back of his babygro in his sleep.

I hadn't noticed until I caught him trying to rotate his head 180 degrees, exorcist-style, so he could eat it.

Li'l weirdo! :o

I just spat my coffee out reading that. That is hilarious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Quick question -- do any of you wake your babies up to feed them, if they've been sleeping say, more than 3 hours - or would you let them sleep as long as they want? We were told by our health nurse that we should not let our little boy go beyond 3 -3.5 hours without a feed, but surely if he was hungry he would wake up? He is one month old..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Quick question -- do any of you wake your babies up to give them a bottle, if they've been sleeping say, more than 3 hours - or would you let them sleep as long as they want? We were told by our health nurse that we should not let our little boy go beyond 3 -3.5 hours without a feed, but surely if he was hungry he would wake up for a bottle? He is one month old..

My PHN got a bit anal about this too, but if anything, I found she didn't want it and was dozing off if I tried waking her. I just left her for a finish. I think that's why she is such a good sleeper at night. She is an actively lady by day, but I get 8 solid hours at night these days too.

Mine is a week old, I'd wake him for a feed after 4.5 hours at the very most, but usually he wakes well before then.

I think usually it's best to get into a routine where they tell you when they want to be fed ... it's only natural! I'm still happier to set the alarm at night though, just in case.

Quick question -- do any of you wake your babies up to feed them, if they've been sleeping say, more than 3 hours - or would you let them sleep as long as they want? We were told by our health nurse that we should not let our little boy go beyond 3 -3.5 hours without a feed, but surely if he was hungry he would wake up? He is one month old..

Mine told me the complete opposite. I was waking her for feeds at night and I said she will not wake to take them. Nurse basically said I was mad to wake her at night and to leave her sleeping through because she was taking 3 hourly during the day. My baby has been going 12 hours at night since she was 1 week.

Btw she is nearly 9 months now and no issues with weight.

Funny the mixed messages you get about the waking to feed. We had to at the start because she was jaundiced but I've been told different things by a doctor, a midwife and a phn. One said wake her every 2.5-3 hours, one said not to wake her once she'd passed her birth weight and one said every 3-4 hours.

• Advertisement

Roesy wrote: »
    Funny the mixed messages you get about the waking to feed. We had to at the start because she was jaundiced but I've been told different things by a doctor, a midwife and a phn. One said wake her every 2.5-3 hours, one said not to wake her once she'd passed her birth weight and one said every 3-4 hours.

Yes I was told it was fine because little one passed her birth weight. It's hard to know when it comes to advising because babas are all so different. My girl knows herself so well and always knows what she wants which means I always know what she wants. My son was the complete opposite. He never knew what he wanted so I never did ha ha Was always trying a million things and then when it didn't work trying them all over again until he realised yes actually I do want this bottle :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

For the first week I would set an alarm for 3.5 hours (usually woke before then) and would wait for the first sign of being awake and feed and back in cot immediately but after that I just let the baby wake me up.... But my one woke like clock work!!!

January wrote: »
    D was like this until very recently... but I figured something out... it was me that was automatically just doing everything without bothering to tell him I was going to go do something and he was watching the girls while I did it... he had said it to me before but when the girls were newborn and I just didn't want to let them be away from me and he just ignored it blissfully for a while.

Now, if I need to go somewhere I just tell him, I'm going X at X time and will be back by X, you're up and off I go... I know it's hard with himself in college but you do need a break also, especially with having nobody nearby to even just take a breather for half an hour. Even if you were to get out for a walk on your own for an hour would be a great help, he doesn't need to do any cleaning just literally look after the kiddies! Try it the next chance you get when he has a bit of time off.

Whatever chance I had of him helping me before, that is all gone now. He is on 12+ hour shifts Monday to Sunday for the next 8 weeks. He is really upset about our daughter forgetting about him fo0r the next few weeks. I am thinking of waking her for bottles every night at 11 so he can spend a few minutes with her. This year can't go by quick enough.

I have to mention, the first fortnight after Saoirse was born he did every last thing in the house, and as she got older, I started gradually doing more again.

Damn sniffles, the kids and I have it, Saoirse was sick last night with it, she is tired and sleeping again today, but eating well so can't give out. And her temp is normal.

Had our first bad day with the little man yesterday. He hadn't slept much the whole day - only taking short naps, which is not like him, and by the late evening he was in terrible form. He roared the place down and would not settle at all. He would fall asleep on one of us but as soon as we moved with him, the roaring would start again. It was very out of character for him, as he normally doesn't cry at all unless he is hungry.

I was really starting to stress after a few hours of it - thankfully my hubby is on paternity leave so he had no work this morning, which means we were able to take turns trying to settle the baby. We tried our best to figure out what was wrong with him - we think either he was overtired, or he had a pain somewhere.

He finally settled at 01:30 and stayed asleep until 06:00 this morning. Today he seems to be back to himself, and is sleeping ok during feeds. I hope there won't be a repeat episode tonight.

Have any of you experienced anything similar and what was the cause, do you know?

Had our first bad day with the little man yesterday. He hadn't slept much the whole day - only taking short naps, which is not like him, and by the late evening he was in terrible form. He roared the place down and would not settle at all. He would fall asleep on one of us but as soon as we moved with him, the roaring would start again. It was very out of character for him, as he normally doesn't cry at all unless he is hungry.

I was really starting to stress after a few hours of it - thankfully my hubby is on paternity leave so he had no work this morning, which means we were able to take turns trying to settle the baby. We tried our best to figure out what was wrong with him - we think either he was overtired, or he had a pain somewhere.

He finally settled at 01:30 and stayed asleep until 06:00 this morning. Today he seems to be back to himself, and is sleeping ok during feeds. I hope there won't be a repeat episode tonight.

Have any of you experienced anything similar and what was the cause, do you know?

Hi Cunning, we had a very similar spell with our little girl at around 2 weeks old and on and off since. With us it was reflux and on a bad reflux day she can still find lying down very hard. Hopefully it's just an off day or a growth spurt with your little boy. How old is he?

Thanks Roesy - he is 5 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Whatever chance I had of him helping me before, that is all gone now. He is on 12+ hour shifts Monday to Sunday for the next 8 weeks. He is really upset about our daughter forgetting about him fo0r the next few weeks. I am thinking of waking her for bottles every night at 11 so he can spend a few minutes with her. This year can't go by quick enough.

I have to mention, the first fortnight after Saoirse was born he did every last thing in the house, and as she got older, I started gradually doing more again.

Damn sniffles, the kids and I have it, Saoirse was sick last night with it, she is tired and sleeping again today, but eating well so can't give out. And her temp is normal.

He won't be in college forever :) Soon he'll be working and will have days off here and there where you can get a break. It's hard but it will get better.

On the waking baby to feed thing, during the day I'd let them go at most 4 hours and at night I'd let them sleep as long as they needed and wake themselves for a feed.

Just off the back of the longest day ever. Kids are both sick and both were up half the night (can't complain because it is extremely rare for either of them to wake in the night) both went back to sleep around half five and then my alarm for work went at 6. Work was absolutely manic and the day is too long (8 to 7) didn't get either of them to bed until half hour ago because the routine gets all messed up when I come in late. Hubby is finally in and has been assigned bottle washing and getting things ready for the morning to do it all over again. Gonna have to talk to them in work about a 5 day week because my house falls down around my ears Sunday to Wednesday! Constantly chasing my tail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Ok i need your advice ladies. It's two problems that could be intertwined. .

Firstly, my baby's had dry skin since about week 3 of her life. I always put it down to her skin being sensitive and getting used to the air outside of the womb (that's what I was told anyway). It would go up and down, at one point I thought it had cleared up. At Christmas, it got really bad and I brought her to the doc n he gave me a cream with antibiotic and steroid. I had only used it twice and it was clearing up. Happy days. I used the cream for a week and stopped. The minute I stopped, the rash came back. Almost worse. I went back to the doc and got prescribed another cream with a higher dose of steroids, told to use it for 3-5 days, I used it for four and it's flared up again today. I've had to get out of the bed to scratch her head because she is moving it back and forth non stop trying to scratch it. She's socks on her hands to stop her scrapping her face. We've taken precautions to try prevent a flare up - we only use silcocks base in her bath, no creams other than oilatum, no products when we're washing her clothes. . Don't know what else to do. The doc said it could be cows milk intolerance. . Would I need a doc's approval to switch to soya?

Secondly, on 6th Jan, I started bed time routine. I'd bring her upstairs after her bottle, get her changed and into her grobag n into bed. I'd turn the light off and wait for her to fall asleep. I'd pat her hands through the bar and she was falling asleep in 10-20 minutes. It was going so well that by Sunday, I didn't even have to hold her hand. But Monday it all changed. I gave her some banana mixed with her milk and thought that might have been it. I gave her some the next day and same thing happened. So stopped. But now she's taking ages to drift off. When ahe wakes during the night for a bottle, I'd usually just put her down and shed fall back asleep herself. .(after the bottle) She did this from an early age. . Now she's crying and wanting to be held. . I hold out coz I know she'll fall asleep; but something has changed... does anyone have any experience of this? I know there's been a lot of posts on baby's sleeping patterns recently, but my good thing seems to have gone

Sorry about the long post/rant! I'm lying awake waiting for her to stop moving so i can drift off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

loubian wrote: »

Firstly, my baby's had dry skin since about week 3 of her life. I always put it down to her skin being sensitive and getting used to the air outside of the womb (that's what I was told anyway). It would go up and down, at one point I thought it had cleared up. At Christmas, it got really bad and I brought her to the doc n he gave me a cream with antibiotic and steroid. I had only used it twice and it was clearing up. Happy days. I used the cream for a week and stopped. The minute I stopped, the rash came back. Almost worse. I went back to the doc and got prescribed another cream with a higher dose of steroids, told to use it for 3-5 days, I used it for four and it's flared up again today. I've had to get out of the bed to scratch her head because she is moving it back and forth non stop trying to scratch it. She's socks on her hands to stop her scrapping her face. We've taken precautions to try prevent a flare up - we only use silcocks base in her bath, no creams other than oilatum, no products when we're washing her clothes. . Don't know what else to do. The doc said it could be cows milk intolerance. . Would I need a doc's approval to switch to soya?

Secondly, on 6th Jan, I started bed time routine. I'd bring her upstairs after her bottle, get her changed and into her grobag n into bed. I'd turn the light off and wait for her to fall asleep. I'd pat her hands through the bar and she was falling asleep in 10-20 minutes. It was going so well that by Sunday, I didn't even have to hold her hand. But Monday it all changed. I gave her some banana mixed with her milk and thought that might have been it. I gave her some the next day and same thing happened. So stopped. But now she's taking ages to drift off. When ahe wakes during the night for a bottle, I'd usually just put her down and shed fall back asleep herself. .(after the bottle) She did this from an early age. . Now she's crying and wanting to be held. . I hold out coz I know she'll fall asleep; but something has changed... does anyone have any experience of this? I know there's been a lot of posts on baby's sleeping patterns recently, but my good thing seems to have gone

Sorry about the long post/rant! I'm lying awake waiting for her to stop moving so i can drift off

What age is baby? Is she teething?
    My little man has eczema and I kept bringing him back to the doctor begging then to give me something that worked as like you we were always good at moisturising etc. His steroid cream works like that. It completely dies down when we are using it but as soon as he is getting another tooth or in pain with his teeth it flares up again. Maybe ask in the chemist for a big tub of emulsifying ointment. We put his steroid cream.on when needs be and other days just moisturize his body with lots of this. Also use it in the bath.
    I'm.not saying it is eczema at all, but it just might be if it is flaring up like that.

• Advertisement

I have psoriasis and went to see a dermatologist who basically said once you start treatment and then stop it will come back worse so anytime I'm using the steroid creams and run out it flares up worse than before. I think it's the same with eczema.

My little one had dry skin when she was born and I was afraid to use oil because it was summer so I put the oilatum liquid parafin in her bath and found it great

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

It seems to be a common problem. I'm just back from the doctors as my 8 month old is having a terrible flare up. His entire stomach and back is destroyed with eczema. Like a previous poster said it seems to gets worse when the teeth are at him, which seems like constantly at the moment! I have been using moogoo products as I wanted to stay away from paraffin and the likes. Up until recently I really found them great but obviously not good enough to deal with a flare up. Doctor gave me a list of things to get/try so fingers crossed it helps. Liquid paraffin for the bath is one, so it's good to hear it worked for your baby emmadilema. It's horrible to see him irritable and scratching from it. Hopefully all the little babies will grow out of it eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Eczema for us was fibre allergies... We Got rid of wool carpet and rugs, only used synthetic fibres in her clothes. She was reacting to everything natural!

It eased after that.
    It is very hard to track down what is causing the allergic eczema. It can be food, can be something theyare exposed to. Can even be dust! We only figured it out when we put a carpet in her room and she got a massive flare up. Had to rip it up again.

I feel so crap, Saoirse has been coughing mad for about an hour, I should have brought her to the doctor today :( I thought it was staying the same, but it's not and now I have to wait til morning to help her. 12 hours of misery for no reason.

I feel so crap, Saoirse has been coughing mad for about an hour, I should have brought her to the doctor today :( I thought it was staying the same, but it's not and now I have to wait til morning to help her. 12 hours of misery for no reason.

Can you bring her to a d-doc?

Can you bring her to a d-doc?

Daddy won't be back from college til 11 and our local one is closed then and Aidan is gone to bed. She is between awake and asleep now, I have given her calpol til morning. And I'll snuggle with her tonight to keep her close.

Daddy won't be back from college til 11 and our local one is closed then and Aidan is gone to bed. She is between awake and asleep now, I have given her calpol til morning. And I'll snuggle with her tonight to keep her close.

Awh I she feels better soon :( have you got her propped up? Would running a shower and sitting her in the steam help a bit?

It's going around. My two have it and now me and my brothers daughter had it aswell and none of us are prone to coughs. If it makes you feel any better my little one was in an awful state with it last night after being not great for the week. I was going to bring her out to ne doc but didn't have a mad temp so didn't want to take her out so late and this morning she was like a new baby. She hit her peak last night I think. Hopefully it's the same for your lo. I was given her Nurofen yesterday but took out the big guns last night with a paralink. Made a huge difference.

Awh I she feels better soon :( have you got her propped up? Would running a shower and sitting her in the steam help a bit?

She is sleeping at about a 45 degree angle. I just want to sort her out poor thing, it is so hard when they are that small.
    It's going around. My two have it and now me and my brothers daughter had it aswell and none of us are prone to coughs. If it makes you feel any better my little one was in an awful state with it last night after being not great for the week. I was going to bring her out to ne doc but didn't have a mad temp so didn't want to take her out so late and this morning she was like a new baby. She hit her peak last night I think. Hopefully it's the same for your lo. I was given her Nurofen yesterday but took out the big guns last night with a paralink. Made a huge difference.

Yeah, myself and the small man have it too, the difference between her and us though, is he and I can have some relief. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Poor baby. Yep it is going around. I hope you guys get some sleep

Advertisement