Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I wait until she's asleep about 20 minutes because that's usually when you can be sure she's going to stay down then I take the monitor in and prop it on the sink. I know I won't hear it but the lights at the side change colour if there's noise in her room. I just throw a glance every couple of minutes. Saying that some days if I feel like a leisurely shower I just wait until the oh comes home.
    Baba is having a bad time at the moment. I'm assuming it's her reflux worsening but we have screaming fits every night at the moment. Waiting on a paediatrician appointment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Yea i used to shower when she was asleep. Bring the monitor in and just keep an eye on it. It was a camera monitor i was using at the time. If i needed to shower and she wasnt due a nap i put her in her bouncer in the bathroom.
    She used to love the noise of it.
    As she got older and i went back to work i showered in the morning before she got up.
    Now off work pregnant i generally shower just before bed . Shes already in bed so its grand. But have had a shower with her loads of times too for handiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

This is something I've been worrying about.

Is it not OK for me to shower when baby is asleep? I'm in the en suite, and leave the door open, and I only do it when he's just gone down to sleep ... and he's been fine so far.

I've done it a few times now, but I always wonder should I be calling Social Services on myself! :eek:

Course you can shower whiles he's asleep :). That's the perfect time to do it. I used to bring the monitor into the bathroom. And sometimes if LO was awake and I wanted to shower id pop him in the swing in the bedroom, leave the ensuite door open so I could see him while I was showering... He'd usually fall asleep in the swing after a few minutes aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

If I didn't shower while the little one slept I wouldn't shower. When the older one got to 9mths ish and I wanted an early shower (before 10am) I put her in her cot awake with some toys. She was happy there for up to ten minutes. That was about when I had to stop blow drying my hair. The noise used to freak her out! Even now I only do it when I have to leave soon after. I get a headache with wet hair in the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

If I didn't shower when he was asleep, I wouldn't shower!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I always shower when they are asleep!!!! I would stink otherwise!!!

Also I just asked, in an exasperated voice, do you have poop on your head again? The joys of motherhood

bp wrote: »
    I always shower when they are asleep!!!! I would stink otherwise!!!

Also I just asked, in an exasperated voice, do you have poop on your head again? The joys of motherhood

Mothers of boys all know about the Cupid-fountain of wee every time the nappy is open, but I can go one better. Changing him in a shopping centre, the little fecker managed to wee in his own ear. His ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

nikpmup wrote: »
    Mothers of boys all know about the Cupid-fountain of wee every time the nappy is open, but I can go one better. Changing him in a shopping centre, the little fecker managed to wee in his own ear. His ear.

My little fella tinkled on his face when he was only a few days old. It was my first so I was freakingout...rang my mam and asked if his eyes would be ok and what would happen if some of it went in his mouth lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Oh god, I laughed, but then I realised that'll be ME soon! :eek:

I adore my little boy, I really do, and I wouldn't change him for the world. But girls really are so much NEATER down there. :o

My OH nearly had a heart attack the first time it happened to him! He's managed to pee on sofas, beds, all down the only pair of jeans I was able to get into post-pregnancy... He's consistent!

• Advertisement

Oh god, I laughed, but then I realised that'll be ME soon! :eek:

I adore my little boy, I really do, and I wouldn't change him for the world. But girls really are so much NEATER down there. :o

Boys are easier to clean when it's a monster sized poo though! Fewer places for it to hide ;)

His ear... Impressive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

My little fella tinkled on his face when he was only a few days old. It was my first so I was freakingout...rang my mam and asked if his eyes would be ok and what would happen if some of it went in his mouth lol

My fella did exactly the same! OH was changing him at the time and nearly started crying with panic because there was wee in LO eye and on mouth. Another time LO peed in my face. Lol. Got to be an expert at catching it in the nappies after that :)

The Miriam Stoppard book suggests placing a tissue over him to prevent a mess being made..... A tissue??!! A bathtowel would be more appropriate!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

The Miriam Stoppard book suggests placing a tissue over him to prevent a mess being made..... A tissue??!! A bathtowel would be more appropriate!

Use a baby wipe, absorbs barely anything, but it stops it going sky high. I rather change a towel under them than be spitting pee for an afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Until my little guy was 3 months he was peeing on everyone. Specially himself. I used baby wipes to cover him and it worked plus he giggled every time too. Very ticklish baby

Sligo1 wrote: »
    My fella did exactly the same! OH was changing him at the time and nearly started crying with panic because there was wee in LO eye and on mouth. Another time LO peed in my face. Lol. Got to be an expert at catching it in the nappies after that :)

I'm not even sure if I should say this one as it might scare some people ha ha but it doesn't get easier as they get older. My son loves water play and I've always encourage it but as he got older that kinda play got messier so I had to curb it a little bit . I started potty training and one day it dawned on him that he had access to water again. He decided to wee on the floor and "jump in the muddy puddle" ( peppa pig reference for anyone who is fortunate enough to not have to watch it) so that pretty much ruined potty training for a while....

I'm not even sure if I should say this one as it might scare some people ha ha but it doesn't get easier as they get older. My son loves water play and I've always encourage it but as he got older that kinda play got messier so I had to curb it a little bit . I started potty training and one day it dawned on him that he had access to water again. He decided to wee on the floor and "jump in the muddy puddle" ( peppa pig reference for anyone who is fortunate enough to not have to watch it) so that pretty much ruined potty training for a while....

That made my morning!

Oh dear, that's funny (sorry)

My guy started randomly pulling down his pants and peeing against trees and brushes because dogs do it. How do you even begin to tackle that one:confused:

OMG, I'm roaring laughing but petrified at the same time!!! I don't know how to work boys!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

OMG, I'm roaring laughing but petrified at the same time!!! I don't know how to work boys!!!!

Just point'em away from you. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Yeah, our little dude had his two week check up today, and he peed absolutely everywhere. All over me, him, the midwife, the bed, the walls ... it just kept coming and coming. I was mortified. :o She said there's definitely nothing wrong with his willy anyways. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Oh dear, that's funny (sorry)

My guy started randomly pulling down his pants and peeing against trees and brushes because dogs do it. How do you even begin to tackle that one:confused:

Oh lord that's so funny (and scary). I half dread what's ahead!

yellow hen wrote: »
    Oh lord that's so funny (and scary). I half dread what's ahead!

You can't argue the validity of the argument in one respect, dogs do do it, but trying to explain to a young child the difference between the dog and him can be hard. Now he is very strict at giving out to dog owners if they don't clean up after their dogs, because "dogs don't have hands they have paws and cannot poop in a toilet" :D

There is no end to their antics. My little man is currently bandying the f word around instead of sleeping. I don't know where he got it from but the ignore approach is not working...

Baby as usual is asleep and good as gold so that's something.

I heard this on a sitcom before and I always think about it and laugh my ass off when the little man is misbehaving and the baby is being a little angel ...

" Everyone knows that kids are like pancakes. The first one is a throw away"

I don't do anything different really with the new one she is just a different baby. The contrast is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

So my usually fairly laid back 4 month old has decided that the only place she can sleep is in my arms. Was up from 1am and it doesn't look like tonight is going to be any better. Oh how I wish we had a spare bed so my oh could sleep there and I could take her into bed with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

lmullen wrote: »
    So my usually fairly laid back 4 month old has decided that the only place she can sleep is in my arms. Was up from 1am and it doesn't look like tonight is going to be any better. Oh how I wish we had a spare bed so my oh could sleep there and I could take her into bed with me.

Take her in anyway. Dont put her under the duvet just on top with her blankets or grobag she will be fine. Ye wont squash her . You will sleep but still be conscious of her being there so it will be grand. MAMMY NEEDS SLEEP.

My boy comes into the bed with me & him in the mornings, he usually wakes about 7am and snoozes on with me until 8. It's great, I love that extra hour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Both me and bubba are dying with colds. Doesn'tt help that we've to be up early tomorrow morning to go to mediation because her dad is still causing hassle. . Was at the doc today for herself regarding her eczema. . We've got to try new milk, it's called Nutramigen 2.. anyone heard of it?

• Advertisement

lmullen wrote: »

My little ones had a co sleeper. Best money I ever spent but my son still comes in with us a lot of the time so when the lo was born there was essentially 4 of us in the bed. I moved the double bed out of spare room into my little mans room but he is still in with us so I sneak off into his room some nights :-P

Advertisement