Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Girls, I'm going mad! J is 4 months old today and I feel at such an awkward age. He's too young too sit up or for a high chair but too old to be happy lying there for a while. I'll get about 20 - 30 minutes of him on his play mat and that's it. Otherwise he wants to be on me/carried by me the whole time, looking around and sitting up assisted by me. He doesn't like his sling because he hates facing into me and we have a jumperoo but he's a bit young for it. I can't get anything done!

Have you a bouncy chair with toys, and into the jumparoo with him. How is he too young for it? He'll love it.

Put some chewable books and things on the playmat too, they love those. And a ball!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

pwurple wrote: »
    Have you a bouncy chair with toys, and into the jumparoo with him. How is he too young for it? He'll love it.

Put some chewable books and things on the playmat too, they love those. And a ball!

He's too young for it because his feet don't touch the floor yet so he can't jump. Also his hands don't quite reach the toys on it. I've put books under him but it's a bit slippy for him. He was roaring crying after 5 mins in it earlier and he's not a big crier at all. He's surrounded by toys on his mat and I've loads of extra toys hanging off it but he still gets upset after about 30 mins and gets upset if you put him back into it later.

He has a bouncer and he will sit in it for a little bit but not for very long. I'm just so frustrated!! Is he just bad at entertaining himself? Should a 4 month old be a bit more independent?

Also, he's not big into toys. He's only started touching and grabbing them in the last 1/2 weeks. He's very visual and has severe FOMO (fear of missing out). I dunno - maybe he is happier just lying there than I perceive him to be. I feel bad if he is not stimulated but he has only just been able to entertain himself and only for a short time.

Going to get the toys out now, put him on the v pillow sitting up as much as possible and see how we go, I have a swing thing and a bumbo, neither of which he is keen on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Yeah I found that age kinda tough to keep him happy- baby is just starting to notice the world but cant do much yet. It gets better when they can reach and grab what they want. This may not be a popular opinion but what about baby tv? I found big bugs band in particular good at getting me a few minutes to get things done

Rachineire wrote: »
    Yeah I found that age kinda tough to keep him happy- baby is just starting to notice the world but cant do much yet. It gets better when they can reach and grab what they want. This may not be a popular opinion but what about baby tv? I found big bugs band in particular good at getting me a few minutes to get things done

I thought about that because he is so visual and he loves tv/YouTube etc (yes, I'm a terrible mother!). We're on UPC though and they've no baby tv. I put on rte jr sometimes and he will watch peppa pig but not much else.

Thanks for saying you felt the same! Even hearing that makes me feel better. Just so frustrated today. I'm hoping his interest in toys etc will just keep growing and it will get easier for him to entertain himself. Luckily we're off on hols ith my parents in a weeks time so they can help keep him occupied and give us a break!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

It is a very awkward time and I found another awkward one at about nine months when he was too tall for his leapfrog and too heavy for the jumparoo!!!:-)
    He will get more interested in his toys. My little man was 4months when Santa brought him a while load of great toys and its only in the last few months he is really enjoying them and understanding them!
    When they can sit up it does get easier! If I was doing something in kitchen or whatever room, I'd bring out his mat and a few pillows and he'd quite happily sit up and watch everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

In that case Murdy, I'd use a sling. Just strap him onto you all day where he is happy, but it leaves your hands free to go about your normal stuff.

Dont feel like a bad mom ive had days where I have dragged the playpen or his bouncy seat in front of the laptop and pulled up the big bugs band channel on YouTube just so I could eat lunch, pee and have a little peace for even a halfhour some days it's all about survival lol! As he gets older he will play with more toys at 4 months they are just getting to know how to use thier hands. He will get way more playful each week!

Thanks guys! I feel better already :)

Pwurple -he doesn't like his sling (I use a Moby wrap) because he hates facing into me and he's too small to face out yet (he's small for his age). I can put him in it for a little bit to get the dishwasher emptied or something but that's it. The pair of us are so awkward!!

Dont feel like a bad mom ive had days where I have dragged the playpen or his bouncy seat in front of the laptop and pulled up the big bugs band channel on YouTube just so I could eat lunch, pee and have a little peace for even a halfhour some days it's all about survival lol! As he gets older he will play with more toys at 4 months they are just getting to know how to use thier hands. He will get way more playful each week!

Survival is the right word - I try and remember path of least resistance! So e days are tougher than others :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Has he a mobile Murdy? S loved his mobiles at that age. I had one in his cot and another in his playpen downstairs as he really enjoyed watching them and kicking his legs in time to the music. (In fact he loves them so much I have them hanging out of the door and curtain rail in his playroom now so he can see them without being able to try swing off them.) He enjoyed his baby gym quite a lot at that point too. And I got him his door bouncer at that age, he didn't manage great big jumps in it but he loved the standing perspective. Music was also a big hit at that age. As was sitting in the wash basket watching the washing machine. I also got him his booster seat for the kitchen at 3 months, even though he didn't start solids 'til 6, as he liked being able to sit up at eye level in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I know the feeling MW. Though S is 12weeks, she is never happy anywhere but in my arms. I can't do a thing without her scream, I am so worn from it. The OH says to just leave her and do the work, but I can't. I have tried everything age appropriate.

We have a mobile but it's faulty and it was a gift so I'm planning on getting another one - good idea! He loves music. I'd love a booster seat for the kitchen but our table and chairs are in a different room - we have a small kitchen. I'm thinking of trying him in a high chair early because his back and neck are very strong. If he was sitting up I honestly think he'd be fine. The bumbo is weird, it says don't use on raised surfaces but the box and info show loads of pics of it on kitchen counters etc. I'd be too nervous of that - he's very strong and wriggly.

Wolfpawnat - I guess some babies are like that! The plus side is if you are having a meal out or meeting friends for coffee he'll happily sit on me just looking around for hours. He's incredibly placid and doesn't really cry unless he's tired- he grizzles and moans when he's put in anything, rather than crying.

On the whole, it's fine. My husband knows what he's like and knows why dinner is never ready when he comes in and the house is a tip but it's so frustrating when I need to get things done. I've been on the couch with him the last while and he's very content, which is why I've been able to post here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

A jungle gym murdy. ..the ones with all the things hanging off it. He should enjoy trying to reach for the toys and trying to hit/kick them.

Then you could roll him onto his tummy and put a little mirror in front of him. He'll love looking at himself!

Wolfpawnat - I guess some babies are like that! The plus side is if you are having a meal out or meeting friends for coffee he'll happily sit on me just looking around for hours. He's incredibly placid and doesn't really cry unless he's tired

Oh I will be going to a group tomorrow and she will happily sit on my lap the entire time, not a peep from her, but if I put her down, even to type this, she cries. I just feel so worn from it. I got the house hoovered for the first time in days today, she silenced while it was on, fit to keep it on constantly now!

A jungle gym murdy. ..the ones with all the things hanging off it. He should enjoy trying to reach for the toys and trying to hit/kick them.

Then you could roll him onto his tummy and put a little mirror in front of him. He'll love looking at himself!

A jungle gym is what I have - that's what I mean in my previous posts by play mat. It has a mirror on it already and all! I managed to get dinner in the oven there because he played in it for 20 minutes. As the chicken went in the oven he's had enough!

Also tummy time leads to hysterics :(

It is very tiring wolfpawnat - I can't even pee. Definitely going to get a high chair this weekend and try him in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

A jungle gym is what I have - that's what I mean in my previous posts by play mat. It has a mirror on it already and all! I managed to get dinner in the oven there because he played in it for 20 minutes. As the chicken went in the oven he's had enough!

Also tummy time leads to hysterics :(

It is very tiring wolfpawnat - I can't even pee. Definitely going to get a high chair this weekend and try him in it.

I wasn't sure if you just meant a mat on the floor with nothing for him to look uo at...20 mins is fairly good..as is 30 mins of entertaining himself.

I wasn't sure if you just meant a mat on the floor with nothing for him to look uo at...20 mins is fairly good..as is 30 mins of entertaining himself.

I was happy with 20 minutes. I just wish he would be able for it more than once a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

At 4 months my lo constantly wanted in my arms too. I used to sit her up in her pram with a pillow behind her and wheeled her around with me as I got stuff done. She loved it as she could see everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I thought about that because he is so visual and he loves tv/YouTube etc (yes, I'm a terrible mother!). We're on UPC though and they've no baby tv. I put on rte jr sometimes and he will watch peppa pig but not much else.

Thanks for saying you felt the same! Even hearing that makes me feel better. Just so frustrated today. I'm hoping his interest in toys etc will just keep growing and it will get easier for him to entertain himself. Luckily we're off on hols ith my parents in a weeks time so they can help keep him occupied and give us a break!

Another non ashamed youtube fan here! We have apple TV so Little Einsteins is on a good bit, she seems to love the theme tune!

Have you seen those big foam jigsaw mats with the letters on them? We got one in Mothercare for 22e when L was about 4.5months. Made a huge difference as I think the jungle gym was too confined for her. She loves the colours of the mat and generally tries to eat the foam when she is on her tummy. She has been sitting on her own since she was just past 5 months and I think the mat made a big difference as we weren't as afraid of falling over given the foam was there to soften any tumbles! Sitting up has made a huge difference and given me a bit more independence, although we are having a fussy whiney week......everything seems to frustrate her, it's all developmental but I usually give in and sit on the mat with her and play.

My husband is a big fan of the mat....best purchase according to him!

• Advertisement

Good to know! My mum is planning to get him one from Santa so maybe she can get it a bit earlier.

I'm dying for him to sit up unaided but then I feel bad for wishing the time away too:(

I am just wrecked now from having him hanging out of me all day. He's currently asleep on me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Murdy when my lo got sick of her mat or travel cot and i needed to get something done i used to pop her in her bouncy lookinv out the back door. She loved watching the trees and dogs and birds. Was also great for calming her when teething.

Im sooo tired id forget my head. LO has croup so not sleeping great im 18 weeks pregnant and between night time loo breaks her waking coughin and being really busy in work i feel like im going around in dream mode (you know that feeling where you feel like your dreaming but your not) .
    Spent €70 on a humidifier today for her room to help with the night time coughing. I probably would have got it cheaper but i was too tired to try any other shop so fingers crossed for tonight. Im watching the clock thinking is it too early for bed but tempted only emmerdale is good at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Things are pretty bad between me and A's dad at the minute n I'm feeling the anxiety tonight. Luckily A is fast asleep though :) she had a good day today

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Good thing about this thread is people are here all hours of the day and night so you can vent away and we'll all be here for you!

I've seen some of your other posts and I know he makes life very hard for you but things will settle down in time. It doesn't help the stress now I know, but it won't last forever. And in the meantime you can look at your lovely little girl sleeping.

They are nice when they are like that eh?! Mine's a real grunter though so it's like sharing a room with an extra from the Walking Dead!!

Good thing about this thread is people are here all hours of the day and night so you can vent away and we'll all be here for you!

I've seen some of your other posts and I know he makes life very hard for you but things will settle down in time. It doesn't help the stress now I know, but it won't last forever. And in the meantime you can look at your lovely little girl sleeping.

They are nice when they are like that eh?! Mine's a real grunter though so it's like sharing a room with an extra from the Walking Dead!!

It's great. Don't know what I'd do without it. It's hard to explain it all but he pushed up until June for me to take him back, he changed tactic n "talked" about the baby. Now he is declaring his love for me again and I just don't know what to do. I'm ignoring him but I just can't stop thinking about it and how he's trying to manipulate me :(

I'm also anxious about getting to the shops in the morning for formula.

A is a very quiet sleeper, so much I have to chrck she's still breathing sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

At least you're strong enough to see that he is trying to manipulate you. That's most of the battle done. You can let him play his games and you can just keep on keeping on.

Your little one is lucky to have you :)

At least you're strong enough to see that he is trying to manipulate you. That's most of the battle done. You can let him play his games and you can just keep on keeping on.

Your little one is lucky to have you :)

Thanks. She's the only reason I keep going. I can say now I tried my best with him. It's hard to be proud of myself at 12 30 am but I am. He thinks he can walk over me but he really underestimates me. He has no idea how strong I am n that he's going to lose eventually. A is keeping me strong (even if some days she drives me up the wall :P ) n I'll do what's best for her because in the long run, she is all that matters

Told you before Loubian, you are strong and you are no fool, loads of hugs :)

Working my tail off making 6 batches of baby food and washing drying and folding 6 loads of laundry while my oh is in the other room playing computer game. I am not amused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Working my tail off making 6 batches of baby food and washing drying and folding 6 loads of laundry while my oh is in the other room playing computer game. I am not amused.

Wouldn't it be only terrible if the internet connection suddenly went down?! *cough-pull-out-the-cable-cough*

Advertisement