Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

We'd a much better night last night. Slept in my arms from 2 to 5 but that was only cos I was asleep too. She's still asleep in her cot now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

My fella had rough nights and would only settle in our bed so we would bring him in and once asleep put him in his cot and he just stopped then as he didn't get used to waking up in our bed. It's all mind games with babies. Plus when ya think ya got it worked out they change everything again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Think my lad heard ye talking about this & decided he wanted a bit if the co sleeping action. He woke at 01.30 all bunged up and wouldn't settle anywhere but in my arms or on my chest. I spent the night sitting up against the headboard :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Yep same here - half five post bottle was into my bed...asleep in seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

There were nights when Abi was very little that I fell asleep with her in the bed with me wide awake. I'd wake after an hour and be able to put her back in the basket. But we slept! :)

• Advertisement

For two weeks now my 11 months old has been either puking and pooping almost every day. I went to the doc on numerous occasions and tried everything. The only thing I thought it could be was the box of formula but I didn't see how as it is made to such high standards. Anyways changed off the formula and bizzarly it seems to have worked. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

bp wrote: »
    For two weeks now my 11 months old has been either puking and pooping almost every day. I went to the doc on numerous occasions and tried everything. The only thing I thought it could be was the box of formula but I didn't see how as it is made to such high standards. Anyways changed off the formula and bizzarly it seems to have worked. Has anyone else experienced this?

My cousin was saying the same about her little boy. She moved him to the toddler formula about 3 weeks and he was pooping up to 6 /7 times a day! She's since changed brand and it seems to have settled but he's also teething and has had the tummy bug and bad head cold so doesn't know if it's all related to that or the change of formula!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Ladies, what are your destressers for when you are stressed to the max? Besides walking, I go for a walk every day :) just remembered my aunt has a bath, so I'll be going around there this weekend. . But what do you like to do when you feel like punching the whole world!! (Btw, it's not bubs who is stressing me out, but adults; who should know better!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

loubian wrote: »
    Ladies, what are your destressers for when you are stressed to the max? Besides walking, I go for a walk every day :) just remembered my aunt has a bath, so I'll be going around there this weekend. . But what do you like to do when you feel like punching the whole world!! (Btw, it's not bubs who is stressing me out, but adults; who should know better!)

Take a cup of coffee when you get baby down for their nap during the day and sit down and do whatever you enjoy, reading, catching up on your soaps, sitting in total silence, whatever. You need to take a few mins for yourself.

Next door have just started drilling.....there goes the baby sleeping :-(

• Advertisement

loubian wrote: »

My sister often calls up for a coffee after she's done the school run; she leaves here about 11.30 to collect her youngest from montessori and I get her to take H with her :) Once the doors closed, I pour a coffee, turn off the telly, and just sit in absolute silence for ten minutes! Then I take the opportunity to have a PROPER shower (shave everything and use all the fancy products, properly condition my hair etc!) By the time she's back, he's had an hours kip in the car so he's in good form, and I feel a LOT better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I was thinking of signing myself and the baba up for baby massage classes - they're covered by our VHI, so I reckon why not! Anyone got any experience? This is the one I'm thinking of going for ... I would be open to any recommendations for anywhere in Dublin, but preferably Dublin 15! He just absolutely loves getting his feet rubbed, or getting his face washed, etc, so I think he'll really enjoy the classes! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

bp wrote: »

My son was in a bad way with a certain formula and was having army green poos :-Z I changed his formula and it stopped. I read that green poo can be caused by too much iron so I wondered if certain brands have more iron than others...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I was thinking of signing myself and the baba up for baby massage classes - they're covered by our VHI, so I reckon why not! Anyone got any experience? This is the one I'm thinking of going for ... I would be open to any recommendations for anywhere in Dublin, but preferably Dublin 15! He just absolutely loves getting his feet rubbed, or getting his face washed, etc, so I think he'll really enjoy the classes! :)

I did baby massage and I would highly recommend it. I started when my little man was 3 weeks old and it was a brilliant way of bonding with him. He absolutely loved it. I also found it brilliant for meeting other mammies. In fact I'm still in close contact with them and we regularly meet up.

On a practical note, É went through a phase of suffering from wind and I found the massage really helped.

I have a leaflet somewhere with massage techniques on it, I'll look for it. I just massage him with coconut oil after his bath, he loves it - any kind of touch is good. He loves getting his legs and tush massaged :D

My son was in a bad way with a certain formula and was having army green poos :-Z I changed his formula and it stopped. I read that green poo can be caused by too much iron so I wondered if certain brands have more iron than others...

Apparently SMA has a lot of iron, my lads on it and his poos are generally a vibrant shade of green! Doesn't seem to bother him though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

nikpmup wrote: »
    Apparently SMA has a lot of iron, my lads on it and his poos are generally a vibrant shade of green! Doesn't seem to bother him though!

Yeah it was SMA. He was in an awful way with wind and constipation but he was only small born so he just wasn't able. Perfect poo when we switched to aptimil lol

I have heard that about SMA alright. I was going to switch but I held off and the wind/reflux seemed to subside of its own accord. He still has green poo though, at exactly half nine every morning! :D

nikpmup wrote: »
    I have heard that about SMA alright. I was going to switch but I held off and the wind/reflux seemed to subside of its own accord. He still has green poo though, at exactly half nine every morning! :D

At least you are ready for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

So im at home right now on holidays and was totally freaking out about the flight and how my 13 month old would handle a 7 hour flight and a two hour flight. ....he did perfect! But now that the stress of that is over and I was looking forward to seeing friends and having fun....im totally sick. Sore throat, high fever, can't even get out of bed. Sigh. Stupid airplanes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Aw Rachineire, I was just about to like your post as I was so pleased you had stressfree flights, then I read the rest. Boo :( Hope you feel better soon and that you are taken good care of and get plenty of rest until you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

My little lad has chicken pox :(
    He's been stuck on me like a little spider monkey for the past two days, and won't seem to settle anywhere else, so I have been doing nothing much else all day than sitting and walking with him. He's so good though - even when he's sick he's still smiling.

It is great to have my OH here on paternity leave, he's a great dad and a great help. I seriously don't know how single mothers, or mothers on their own all day manage with a new baby - I take my hat off to you.

My little lad has chicken pox :(
    He's been stuck on me like a little spider monkey for the past two days, and won't seem to settle anywhere else, so I have been doing nothing much else all day than sitting and walking with him. He's so good though - even when he's sick he's still smiling.

It is great to have my OH here on paternity leave, he's a great dad and a great help. I seriously don't know how single mothers, or mothers on their own all day manage with a new baby - I take my hat off to you.

+1, my OH was off for his first 8 weeks and it was a godsend.

Hope your little lad gets better soon :)

Im at home right now and my mom is stuffing my lo full of sugary drink and junk food...I have never seen my child eat so much and lets not even talk about how gross his nappies are. I just keep repeating to myself its only for a short while....I hope this child will eat his meals when I get back home.

Also my husband decided to take holiday while im away so he can relax at home while I have solo baby duty for two weeks. I may kill him. Unless the house is really clean. Then I'll just maim him. :p

Rachineire wrote: »
    Im at home right now and my mom is stuffing my lo full of sugary drink and junk food...I have never seen my child eat so much and lets not even talk about how gross his nappies are. I just keep repeating to myself its only for a short while....I hope this child will eat his meals when I get back home.

Also my husband decided to take holiday while im away so he can relax at home while I have solo baby duty for two weeks. I may kill him. Unless the house is really clean. Then I'll just maim him. :p

Can you ask her to cut back on the sugars? Or buy sugar free/ reduced alternatives so that she can still give treats but less of them? Also explain the word treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I will never understand the fascination with feeding a baby sweets, chocolate and sugary drinks.

I'm 100% against sugary drinks. Whatever about the sweets etc knock the fizzy drinks on the head. It's crack cocaine for babies.

My mam thinks I'm ott on sweets etc but we've got a nephew who is becoming overweight and he was always given sweet things as a toddler. My mam comments on his sweet tooth but doesn't understand why I try to limit how much sweet stuff my son eats.

Its not fizzy drinks or chocolate thank god....its apple juice ( full of sugar) and a "sugar free" kool aid....full of sweetners and food coloring. I just want him to have water or a drop of juice topped up with water but she complains that im depriving him. Thankfully im only home for a short while. I'll bite my tounge because she might not see him for another two years after this since its so expensive to go home!

Just had Hugo back to the PHN for a re-check of his gross motor skills. He's to be referred to a physio regarding his inability/unwillingness to lift his head, and also a doctor regarding this and his head circumference. His head was in the 98th percentile a month ago whereas his length and weight was in the 50th, now his head is bigger again, in the 99th percentile - its grown 2cm in a month. I'm really worried that he might have hydrocephalus (which would explain the big head and the inability to lift his head)

She did agree with me that he had reflux (she's the first health professional to say so) and said that refluxy babies often hate going on their front. She suggested changing formula or infant gaviscon to see if it would help.

And still no word on my car.

:(:(:(

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Its not fizzy drinks or chocolate thank god....its apple juice ( full of sugar) and a "sugar free" kool aid....full of sweetners and food coloring. I just want him to have water or a drop of juice topped up with water but she complains that im depriving him. Thankfully im only home for a short while. I'll bite my tounge because she might not see him for another two years after this since its so expensive to go home!

Its really hard to get it through to them that things like cheese, fruit, rice cakes, carrot sticks, yoghurts and so on are all lovely treats for children, but push them aside to give them chocolate bars, and big bags of sweets. They don't need juice. Water is lovely! And the worst is that they load them up with this stuff, the kids go understandably loopers with the sugar hit and YOU get the rolled eyes /muttered comments about how they are spoiled and lax parenting these days because they are running riot.

Cant.Fcuking.Win

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Juices and diluted things are massive no-no's for us too. We have dentists in the family, I would actually be ostracized if I ever gave any child something to drink that wasn't water or milk. I have the horror stories of 4 and 5 year old's getting extractions, and the dis-colouration and weakening damage it can do to the forming permanent teeth drilled into my brain at this stage.

All the children on my husband's side of family are overweight as well. They're a "clear your plate and you can have ice-cream" kind of gang, so they have inadvertently trained their kids into being over-eaters.

I'm looking for any getting dressed tips at all. At my wits end with it. My toddler has completely turned this into a game every morning... I can't catch her or get near her under a bed when I'm 8 months pregnant. I'm dragging her out by the toes and just holding onto her until I've the clothes on her. It's a pain in the backside every day. I've tried reward charts, letting her pick the clothes, encouraging her to do it herself. Not letting her come downstairs for breakfast until it's done. Nothing works. she just runs around nekkid laughing her head off.

Advertisement