Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

pwurple wrote: »
    I'm looking for any getting dressed tips at all. At my wits end with it. My toddler has completely turned this into a game every morning... I can't catch her or get near her under a bed when I'm 8 months pregnant. I'm dragging her out by the toes and just holding onto her until I've the clothes on her. It's a pain in the backside every day. I've tried reward charts, letting her pick the clothes, encouraging her to do it herself. Not letting her come downstairs for breakfast until it's done. Nothing works. she just runs around nekkid laughing her head off.

I've that "game" in the morning, but I think I've resolved it by getting him changed and dressed as soon as we are up, and he is still fully waking. But I suspect he will get wise to me. I dunno how you do it at 8 months!

I laugh about him fleeing nekkid at bathtime but in the morning when you are going to be late for work it can be the cutest headwreck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Make it a game... use an egg timer and see if she'll race against the clock to get dressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

pwurple wrote: »
    Juices and diluted things are massive no-no's for us too. We have dentists in the family, I would actually be ostracized if I ever gave any child something to drink that wasn't water or milk. I have the horror stories of 4 and 5 year old's getting extractions, and the dis-colouration and weakening damage it can do to the forming permanent teeth drilled into my brain at this stage.

All the children on my husband's side of family are overweight as well. They're a "clear your plate and you can have ice-cream" kind of gang, so they have inadvertently trained their kids into being over-eaters.

I'm looking for any getting dressed tips at all. At my wits end with it. My toddler has completely turned this into a game every morning... I can't catch her or get near her under a bed when I'm 8 months pregnant. I'm dragging her out by the toes and just holding onto her until I've the clothes on her. It's a pain in the backside every day. I've tried reward charts, letting her pick the clothes, encouraging her to do it herself. Not letting her come downstairs for breakfast until it's done. Nothing works. she just runs around nekkid laughing her head off.

My son does this and it actually got worse when I got pregnant because he knew I couldn't get him as easily (please see previous post about being semi naked and pregnant wrestling with him outside my house on the ground lol)

I give him a secret mission when I'm getting him dressed now like opening a box or turning the light on on my phone. Keeps him distracted long enough if I'm quick :-P

My son does this and it actually got worse when I got pregnant because he knew I couldn't get him as easily (please see previous post about being semi naked and pregnant wrestling with him outside my house on the ground lol)

I give him a secret mission when I'm getting him dressed now like opening a box or turning the light on on my phone. Keeps him distracted long enough if I'm quick :-P

Opening the Sellotape is a good one too. Buys me a bit more time :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Well my poor little boy is not well today temp of 102-104 so took him to doctor right away and he's got a chest infection. Between this and been over 7 months pregnant with a baby trying to escape through my belly button I'm getting no sleep at all. What he got for temp worked for 2 hours then spiked again. Stressful watching him suffer he's not 10 months yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

How. Please.

Just tell me how does anyone go anywhere with a small baby in the car.

I thought I had it all covered. I thought I was grand, I've a nearly-four-week-old in a great routine, every four hours, why the hell couldn't I bring him on a three-hour trek from Sligo to Dublin.

It was awful.

Breakdown point was Mullingar. Poor wee baba screaming and peeing and puking all over the car. And what could I do? Honestly? I could've got family from Sligo or Dublin, but they'd have been hours getting there, and jesus, I can't listen to him crying for more than five minutes.

I'd hate to do it to him ever again, poor wee baba crying like that. :(

So was I in the wrong to try it ... should I just resign myself to the fact that I'm stuck in Dublin for the next while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

How. Please.

I thought I had it all covered. I thought I was grand, I've a nearly-four-week-old in a great routine, every four hours, why the hell couldn't I bring him on a three-hour trek from Sligo to Dublin.

It was awful.

Breakdown point was Mullingar. Poor wee baba screaming and peeing and puking all over the car. And what could I do? Honestly? I could've got family from Sligo or Dublin, but they'd have been hours getting there, and jesus, I can't listen to him crying for more than five minutes.

So was I in the wrong to try it ... should I just resign myself to the fact that I'm stuck in Dublin for the next while?

Done the journey many many times to see family with husband. Probably every 2 weeks or so. Perhaps baba was having a bad day? If he's not normally a pukey baby don't be afraid to try it again. Stop half way and give him a feed. I find mine always slept great in the car after a feed and a wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

I did this trek from when my 18 month old was 4 weeks old,you have to time it right! And a good stop to revive them! If nothing else its not recommended at that age they spend more than 2 hours at a time in a car seat so the break works well. I found leaving early not long after he woke was the best time. You will find what works for you,don't give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I travelled up north to a family event with an almost 1 week old. Taking a break from the car is good - they get cuddles, fed etc.

Don't be scared to try it again

How. Please.

It was awful.

I hear ya. My husband has house in Donegal and it's a 5 hour drive! It's always so stressful because my little man gets travel sickness. We went up when the baba when she was 7 weeks old and the stress was unbearable. Son got sick all over himself just after Monaghan so had to stop in a car park and strip him down throw everything in the bin and change baby on back seat of car and give her bottle on my lap in front then while trying to entertain the little man. It was during the time that the sun was blaring so we left at the crack of dawn because I was worried about the kids overheating in the car so nothing open on the way for a sit down.

I swear from now on were gonna stay a night somewhere half way up because even though my little man loves it up there I always feel guilty putting him through the drive up and back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

traineeacc wrote: »
    I did this trek from when my 18 month old was 4 weeks old,you have to time it right! And a good stop to revive them! If nothing else its not recommended at that age they spend more than 2 hours at a time in a car seat so the break works well. I found leaving early not long after he woke was the best time. You will find what works for you,don't give up!

See that's exactly it, they need the break from the car seat, so I had to wake him up.

I think that's where I was an eejit. I woke him up at the midway point through his feed for a sit-up from the car seat, and a nappy change. Clever mammy would have timed it all that the mid-way point would have been his feeding time. :o

As it was, when it woke was not his feeding time, but he thought it was, and all kinds of drama ensued.

Jesus I have got a lot of getting used to, with this motherhood stuff ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

See that's exactly it, they need the break from the car seat, so I had to wake him up.

I think that's where I was an eejit. I woke him up at the midway point through his feed for a sit-up from the car seat, and a nappy change. Clever mammy would have timed it all that the mid-way point would have been his feeding time. :o

As it was, when it woke was not his feeding time, but he thought it was, and all kinds of drama ensued.

There is no manual, and in the hussle bussle of going places, things get scattered.

I have done two public transport trips across Ireland with the small lady, and it is like planning D-Day. And even after all that planning, it can all so easily go belly up. It take us nearly 8 hours to get to the kids grandmother's house.

With regards the car seat. Those things are horribly stiff and after a while they need a break. You did the right thing, sadly you can't explain times to babies though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

My little man used to be very pukey and unsettled in the car as a baby. I remember more times having to try and find somewhere to pull in safely with a screaming baby in the back. And it was like it always upset his tummy!
    I thought we weren't going to be able.to bring him anywhere and that was stressing me out more than the thoughts of actually bringing him. But it all does kind of click into place all of a sudden. They get easier to time their feeds, changes etc. Before you know it you will be having completely stress free journeys with a quiet sleeping baby :)

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it you could have timed it right and still went wrong. When were heading up to Donegal we have to stop a few times along the way because the two kids need different things at different times. Now that I know that I set myself up for the fact that were gonna stop a few times and if we don't have to then it's a bonus.

A work friend is just back from Israel with her two babas. Her youngest is the same age as my youngest and when she told me about the journey I was thinking to myself there is no way I could do that but in the end if you have to do it you just do it lol I think that applies to a lot of things when you become a parent.

My son is currently helping to get the little one asleep by singing a lullaby and playing his drums. Needless to say it isn't working!!!

My son is currently helping to get the little one asleep by singing a lullaby and playing his drums. Needless to say it isn't working!!!

You've to admire the enthusiasm, though the method isn't great! My guy keeps waking the baby, He keeps forgetting. It gets a bit angering after a while.

Bloody vaccines. I swear, I am stressed from them. Little lady has been a bit off for the past two weeks, and today is her first normal day again so it is time enough for her to get her 6 month ones, but that could make her a bit off again. Add that to the small lad getting his yesterday (though he was fine) and he has the dentist today! I feel a bit overwhelmed with it all today :(

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    You've to admire the enthusiasm, though the method isn't great! My guy keeps waking the baby, He keeps forgetting. It gets a bit angering after a while.

Bloody vaccines. I swear, I am stressed from them. Little lady has been a bit off for the past two weeks, and today is her first normal day again so it is time enough for her to get her 6 month ones, but that could make her a bit off again. Add that to the small lad getting his yesterday (though he was fine) and he has the dentist today! I feel a bit overwhelmed with it all today :(

Awwww that's rubbish! Plan something nice for your evening to get you through it maybe and do something with the kids today that you can all enjoy

Awwww that's rubbish! Plan something nice for your evening to get you through it maybe and do something with the kids today that you can all enjoy

If the dentist gives Aidan the all clear, he is starting Muay Thai this afternoon. That'll burn extra energy for him.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    If the dentist gives Aidan the all clear, he is starting Muay Thai this afternoon. That'll burn extra energy for him.

Early to bed for child and bath and wine for mammy so :-D

Poor little guy had to get his molar taken out. Wrecked from all the early mornings recently, but had to bring him to get a toy for being so good! Just home now. I could collapse with tiredness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

My saga:

My baby is 4 months next week and, bar one or two nights, has been waking every hour at night since St Stephen's night (If this isn't the 4 month sleep regression I might go insane). I have only survived by letting him sleep on my chest (actually managed to get it down to a fine art and its quite comfy despite him weighing about 16lb) where he spends the night switching from one boob to the other. He then wakes properly around 8am with the most glorious smiles that make me forget all that went before. He's pretty good for napping during the day but almost always wakes after 40 minutes on the dot. He had started sleeping 5-6 hours in a row just before all this kicked off.

Anyway we didn't get a chance to start much of a routine as I have been so exhausted but as we had two not-so-bad nights in a row this week, we have started to put him up to bed early (7pm) on his own. I normally go to bed with him around half ten. Started last night with a nice long bath at 6.30pm and putting him down drowsy but not asleep. I was full of optimism and anxiety. He went off after an hour, woke a few times after 5 minute intervals and then proceeded to wake every hour for the rest of the night (I have him in a co-sleeper cot at least).

Tonight he went up to bed at 7pm and he has already woken three times, the longest sleep being just under an hour. Each time he goes to sleep he looks balmed out with limp arms. Oh little baby how you fool me.

I think I might have jumped the bedtime back too much cos he went down at 10pm the last two good nights so I might put him down later tomorrow night and gradually bring it back.

I have no working monitors so I am downstairs with all the doors open with my stomach turning anticipating the next waking, drinking copious amounts of tea. Why is the kettle so loud!!!! Its an improvement on last night when I camped out in the landing in darkness watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer through earphones on a tablet with one eye on the baby. I never realised my house was so creaky. I might install a zipline down the stairs.

Funnily enough, even after six weeks of disastrous nights, I still go to bed each night with a smile on my face fully convinced that tonight will be the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

livinsane wrote: »
    Its an improvement on last night when I camped out in the landing in darkness watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer through earphones on a tablet with one eye on the baby. I never realised my house was so creaky. I might install a zipline down the stairs.

Funnily enough, even after six weeks of disastrous nights, I still go to bed each night with a smile on my face fully convinced that tonight will be the night!

Oh hello me!!! I was you about 6 months ago. Somehow a routine fell into place and at 11 months we finally sleep all night. It will happen. Keep smiling and just go with the flow in some respects. A routine will emerge and he'll learn his yo sleep and you'll wonder if this was all a dream :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I'm about to cry our of frustration. I started putting A down at the start of January. By the end of the week, she was falling asleep within 20 minutes and was staying asleep. Now, a month in it has only got worse. She takes FOREVER to settle down, I've tried giving her bottles in the dark, putting her down drowsy, putting her down awake, baths, lights on; lights off; everything. This week she has started screaming if you put her down half asleep.. before she's even put on the mattress she's screaming. She has no wind and is dry and fed. She has a rash on her back but i put cream on it but she wriggles for Ireland and sometimes I get so angry and frustrated that I can't help her. I don't want to have her fall asleep in my arms and get used to it, but at the moment, I am just so she can drift off and we can all get some sleep. But even in my arms she is wriggling like crazy. She's on nutramigen for cows milk allergy and her face has cleared but her back is the problem now. I just don't know what to do. During the day, I rock her to sleep in the pram.

Am I expecting too much from her? She's 6 months old. Some nights are great, but then others are just awful that I feel like I have to go to bed just to keep her asleep. I have readall tthe advice that's been posted here with my own and other people's issues with sleeping babies so I don't know if there's much more to say. Just needed to rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

yellow hen wrote: »
    Oh hello me!!! I was you about 6 months ago. Somehow a routine fell into place and at 11 months we finally sleep all night. It will happen. Keep smiling and just go with the flow in some respects. A routine will emerge and he'll learn his yo sleep and you'll wonder if this was all a dream :)

I look forward to joining you!

The best thing I've done so far is plug out the clock radio in the bedroom. Those red digital numbers looming at me like the eyes of Satan in the middle of the night were psychologically more damaging than the lack of sleep. I still check my phone when he wakes but I fall back asleep instead of lying there staring at the time.

I know I can't do anything about it, i can't force feed the child, but I'm so tired of formula going to waste. I buy a 14e 400g tin every three days and sometimes she drinks it all, but mostly over half the bottle is left. She's six months old, surely she should be gulping ger bottles, not only drinking 130mls at max. N i can't make smaller bottles because sometimes she will take the lot. So fed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

livinsane were pretty similar here too and our daughter is 9 months. She is an absolute joy during the day but the nights are a terror. Some are worse than others. I'd be at my wits end if she wasn't so charming and easy to mind during the day.

She slept on my chest until around 4 months and then decided she was done with that. She goes to bed at 6.30pm as she's in crèche fulltime so she's exhausted and wakes anytime from 10.30-1 for the first time and it's every 2 hours after that.

She's already crawling, trying to pull herself up to standing, has 6 teeth and is generally in a big hurry to do everything so it's little wonder she can't sleep at night.

I'm breastfeeding too and while I don't think it's part of the cause I think us all sleeping in the same room disturbs her but it suits me for night feeds. We're hoping to move her in with her brother next month.

loubian wrote: »
    I know I can't do anything about it, i can't force feed the child, but I'm so tired of formula going to waste. I buy a 14e 400g tin every three days and sometimes she drinks it all, but mostly over half the bottle is left. She's six months old, surely she should be gulping ger bottles, not only drinking 130mls at max. N i can't make smaller bottles because sometimes she will take the lot. So fed up.

Have you started weaning yet?

livinsane were pretty similar here too and our daughter is 9 months. She is an absolute joy during the day but the nights are a terror. Some are worse than others. I'd be at my wits end if she wasn't so charming and easy to mind during the day.

She slept on my chest until around 4 months and then decided she was done with that. She goes to bed at 6.30pm as she's in crèche fulltime so she's exhausted and wakes anytime from 10.30-1 for the first time and it's every 2 hours after that.

She's already crawling, trying to pull herself up to standing, has 6 teeth and is generally in a big hurry to do everything so it's little wonder she can't sleep at night.

I'm breastfeeding too and while I don't think it's part of the cause I think us all sleeping in the same room disturbs her but it suits me for night feeds. We're hoping to move her in with her brother next month.

There must be something in that. My son was in a mad rush to grow up. Flying around at nine months and a mouthful of teeth. He still is very advanced now at 3 and he was a TERRIBLE sleeper.

His sister on the other hand is now 9 months and no crawling, two teeth and sleeps like a dream lol

Gee_G wrote: »
    Have you started weaning yet?

Yeah I give her one bowl of carrots during the day, but that's hard to get into her as well.

• Advertisement

loubian wrote: »
    Yeah I give her one bowl of carrots during the day, but that's hard to get into her as well.

What about trying her with another little bowl of food. Some sweet potato with some veg pureed? Or some fruit? She might be ready for a little bit more if she's drinking that much formula?

Sorry sorry, I see now you said she's not drinking it all and its going to waste. Haha sorry!:)

Advertisement