Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

loubian wrote: »
    Yea I've been four times. The last time he told me to change her milk and ring him in a month to see how it was going. He said he doesn't prescribe antihistamines for someone that small. I've been given a prescription of hydrocortisone twice but the minute we stop using it it comes back. That's why we changed to nutramigen, the doc said it could be cowa milk protein allergy. She's on the formula three weeks now but it kinda seems to have got worse.

Is it possible to go to another gp?
    Is she teething very bad or has she been ill?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Yea I've been four times. The last time he told me to change her milk and ring him in a month to see how it was going. He said he doesn't prescribe antihistamines for someone that small. I've been given a prescription of hydrocortisone twice but the minute we stop using it it comes back. That's why we changed to nutramigen, the doc said it could be cowa milk protein allergy. She's on the formula three weeks now but it kinda seems to have got worse.

What milk are you using? They all have cows dairy proteins, whether you're giving nutramigen (sp?) or lactose free. In one its broken down smaller (more suitable for reflect babies) in the other it still has another cows milk proteins.

No 1 had really bad psoriasis on breast milk and it got worse (and huge tummy pain was added) on lactose-free formula. But when we switched to soya milk everything cleared up.

I've since looked up soya and it seems to come with its own problems. No 2 was allergic to the soya but is fine on goats milk.

This is all anecdotal but in my opinion if you've seen no improvement in these couple of weeks you need to try something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

nicowa wrote: »
    What milk are you using? They all have cows dairy proteins, whether you're giving nutramigen (sp?) or lactose free. In one its broken down smaller (more suitable for reflect babies) in the other it still has another cows milk proteins.

No 1 had really bad psoriasis on breast milk and it got worse (and huge tummy pain was added) on lactose-free formula. But when we switched to soya milk everything cleared up.

I've since looked up soya and it seems to come with its own problems. No 2 was allergic to the soya but is fine on goats milk.

This is all anecdotal but in my opinion if you've seen no improvement in these couple of weeks you need to try something else.

I asked the doc about soya and he said they don't rush to go that route as there can be allergies to soya as well. I've made an appointment to see him on Friday. She doesn't seem as bad during the day. But it could be because she's distracted by other things.

Gee_G wrote: »
    Is it possible to go to another gp?
    Is she teething very bad or has she been ill?

She does seem to be teething, which makes me think that is why the rash looks different. I've felt a bump under the gum that's more obvious than before.

I'll see what the doctor says on Friday and then decide if I need a second opinion.

I asked the doc about soya and he said they don't rush to go that route as there can be allergies to soya as well. I've made an appointment to see him on Friday. She doesn't seem as bad during the day. But it could be because she's distracted by other things.

I'll admit there are problems with the soya as well (see where my second girl is allergic) and it deserves a good google before using it. But the goats milk, as I said, seems to work for us. But these are only my suggestions.

As for your pic. Both me and my husband have psoriasis and some of his looks like what you've shown. He also has the scaly stuff in his shin and elbows, but he has that spotty rash type on the side of his belly.

• Advertisement

She does seem to be teething, which makes me think that is why the rash looks different. I've felt a bump under the gum that's more obvious than before.

I'll see what the doctor says on Friday and then decide if I need a second opinion.
    The reason I ask was she ill is because for months and months my little man had patches of eczema everywhere on and off. Every time he was getting a tooth it woukd flare up.Then since before Christmas he had it from his neck down to his feet and we couldn't control it. He had a cold on and off since before Christmas that he couldn't shake off and the doctor said that could be why it was so bad. Seemingly as well as teething, when they are sick it will make it flare up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Loubian my friend has guttate/raindrop psoriasis and it looks like that. I have plaque psoriasis and it does look quiet different. No harm asking the doc anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Loubian, you've prob checked this as well... But look out for fabrics. Mine was allergic to wool and some other natural fibres when she was small, not what they were washed in. She got a rash wherever they touched her. I had to wear synthetics myself until she grew out of it, get rid of some of her blankets, i even changed a carpet... Look at the labels on bibs, baby clothes, bedding, your own clothes, anything at all touching the baby.

pwurple wrote: »
    Loubian, you've prob checked this as well... But look out for fabrics. Mine was allergic to wool and some other natural fibres when she was small, not what they were washed in. She got a rash wherever they touched her. I had to wear synthetics myself until she grew out of it, get rid of some of her blankets, i even changed a carpet... Look at the labels on bibs, baby clothes, bedding, your own clothes, anything at all touching the baby.

That's a good idea actually. Abi used to get an awful rash on the side of her face from my wooly jumpers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

God I hate it when you lose track of formula scoops and have to throw it down the sink and start over! :mad: The stuff is soooo expensive, I hate wasting any of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Chattastrophe, do u use the tommee tippee bottles? And do u have the milk powder dispensers? We usually just put the required mls of water into all the bottles and then the powder (7 scoops for us) into a container (or the dispenser) then tip into the water. That way if you lose count of the scoops it's not wet and you can put it back into the powder and count again.

Alternatively put the required scoops into your bottle. Measure the water into another spare bottle and pour the water onto the powder and shake. Again, that way if you lose count of the number d scoops you've put into the dry bottle you can start again without wasting any formula.

Yes it's Tommee Tippee we're using ... will definitely look into those dispensers!

Yes it's Tommee Tippee we're using ... will definitely look into those dispensers!

If you don't already have them you don't really need to go buying them... Ours just came with our steriliser kit and they were handy to use... Any other little container will do. They don't measure the powder or anything. Their actual use is to store the powder for you to take with you if you're out etc... We just find them handy little containers to make the bottles up tho. Here's what they look like.

http://m.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/milk-powder-dispensers/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

You can buy the powder dispenser loads of places. We got ours at tesco for 2 euro. Did the job :)

Speaking of wastage ... my son will usually have 4oz each feed, but it could be anywhere between 3oz and 5oz, and there's no way really to predict it. So we make up all bottles as 5oz, but obviously a chunk of most bottles go down the sink afterwards.

Is that how everyone does it? Or would you just make up 4oz bottles and then give him a bit of a second bottle if he wants it?

Probably a silly question. :o It's all still very new to me!

Speaking of wastage ... my son will usually have 4oz each feed, but it could be anywhere between 3oz and 5oz, and there's no way really to predict it. So we make up all bottles as 5oz, but obviously a chunk of most bottles go down the sink afterwards.

Is that how everyone does it? Or would you just make up 4oz bottles and then give him a bit of a second bottle if he wants it?

You could prob make a spare bottle with a few oz in and pour some of this into his 4 oz bottles after he finishes or if he needs it and pop the spare back in the fridge for his next feeding time as soon as uve topped up his feeding bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Why do our little ones scream the house down from 3-5am then pass out cold in mammies bed....when not even being cuddled and then snore in your ear??? I am exhausted :-(

Mine decided after his 4am feed that he just wasn't going back to sleep. Not crying or anything, just wide awake and nattering away to himself. So of course not a chance of me getting back to sleep either ... been up since.

Mine decided after his 4am feed that he just wasn't going back to sleep. Not crying or anything, just wide awake and nattering away to himself. So of course not a chance of me getting back to sleep either ... been up since.

Yep.....wrecked here too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Dr browns makes a 32oz jug that you can make the whole days feed in, and pour into sterile bottles as you need it - they do them in Bella baby in dundrum, next time I'm over I'm going to pick one up. That way, you could pour out 4oz and if he needs more you could top him up. My little savage drinks 8oz, and drains them too. I need to buy bigger bottles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

Dd2 has been sick 6 times today. Hopefully she'll sleep the rest of the night now. She's in great form and no temp so thinking it's something I ate, she's ebf.
    Does anyone know f or where you can get food intolerance tests done for babies? she's excema too :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Hope she gets better soon lmullen!

Seems we're back to only sleeping for 3-4 hours instead of 7 at night :-(
    She's been up an hr and half now. Poo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Found myself googling images of baby poo last night....that's what my life has become! :eek:

I went out for a few drinks with my friends this evening. . . A has been awake since I got home an hour ago. . . She's punishing me for going out. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

I went out for a few drinks with my friends this evening. . . A has been awake since I got home an hour ago. . . She's punishing me for going out. . .

How do they know these things?! Hope you had a good time. Haven't had a night out in ages but my son likes to wake up extra early the following morning when I do.....

Oh they always know! The past two evenings that I have gone out babba has been up and waiting for me to come home!!!!

I feel bad about ranting about this but I need to. I appreciate all the help I get off my parents, but sometimes they can be so annoying. A is my child, therefore I feel responsible for everything she does, even if she's in their care. So while they've helped out today, A has been whinging all day and it's driving me mad. She was refusing to go to sleep until I walked out of the room and let her cry for a few minutes. Obviously my dad didn't know what i was doing and start giving out to me because she was crying. Went I went into her she went asleep but they make me feel so inadequate sometimes. I'm trying my best ffs.

I feel bad about ranting about this but I need to. I appreciate all the help I get off my parents, but sometimes they can be so annoying. A is my child, therefore I feel responsible for everything she does, even if she's in their care. So while they've helped out today, A has been whinging all day and it's driving me mad. She was refusing to go to sleep until I walked out of the room and let her cry for a few minutes. Obviously my dad didn't know what i was doing and start giving out to me because she was crying. Went I went into her she went asleep but they make me feel so inadequate sometimes. I'm trying my best ffs.

Grandparents do that whether you live with them or not :)
    According to my parents my child is always hungry or needs a nappy change!!:) I don't think they mean it, think they just get a little over protective of grandchildren :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

My little lad has spent most of today sleeping. He has only been awake for short periods. My sister tells me not to wake him, and enjoy it while it lasts, but it's a bit unnerving because he never sleeps this much. He's taking 3 - 4 hours each time. His temperature seems fine.
    He's a little over two months old - could it be down to a growth spurt? Otherwise I'm not sure what to think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

My little lad has spent most of today sleeping. He has only been awake for short periods. My sister tells me not to wake him, and enjoy it while it lasts, but it's a bit unnerving because he never sleeps this much. He's taking 3 - 4 hours each time. His temperature seems fine.
    He's a little over two months old - could it be a growth spurt? Otherwise I'm not sure what to think.

sounds like a growth spurt to me!

Advertisement