Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

nikpmup wrote: »
    Crankiest little man in the world today, I put him in the sling where he fell asleep. I'm now trying to eat lunch and have dropped a big blob of chicken and mayo on his head. It's bound to be god for cradle cap, right?!

I'm on your page today. My very quiet little girl has decided that screeching is her new form of communication. It must be a girl thing because my son never did it. She is really developing a little temper ha ha it's a bit weird because up until now she has been so placid.

As for chicken and mayo combo... Im pretty sure I read somewhere that it is great for cradle cap and also developing super powers In your baby. Nothing extreme at that age mind you. Just a wee bit of Matilda style telekinesis :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I'm sick of being woken up every hour for nothing. I'm sick of sleeping habits changing every night. I hate vaccinations :@ I hate eczema :

This is my fourth time awake for more than 30 minutes tonight since 12am. Going to cry. I'm so frigging tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

loubian wrote: »
    I'm sick of being woken up every hour for nothing. I'm sick of sleeping habits changing every night. I hate vaccinations :@ I hate eczema :

This is my fourth time awake for more than 30 minutes tonight since 12am. Going to cry. I'm so frigging tired.

Are you ok? I know you hate asking your folks but could they take A for one night and you go to a b&b to sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

bp wrote: »
    Are you ok? I know you hate asking your folks but could they take A for one night and you go to a b&b to sleep?

+1 - Loubian, ask them to take her, pay them the going babysitting rate or buy them a really nice gift for doing it, but get a break. If you got a good nights sleep it would make a world of difference.

I'm not sure if your financial situation would allow but would you consider an au pair? Maybe speak to the little ones daddy and ask for some help paying for it considering he is allowing you to take all these sleepless nights on yourself?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if your financial situation would allow but would you consider an au pair? Maybe speak to the little ones daddy and ask for some help paying for it considering he is allowing you to take all these sleepless nights on yourself?

I can't get an au pair as i live at home and there's no room! I would get one though if I had my own place! And her dad throws a hissy fit if I ask him to bring a packet of wipes, so I doubt I'd get money for a child minder :P

I'll try see what my folks can do! Or I might ask my friend to take her for an hour during the week so I can do something for me! EvenIif it's just to go get a cup of coffee around the corner! She got her needles so I was expecting the crankiness and stuff but when it's combined with eczema and your baby is wiggling like crazy you just feel so helpless and frustrated that you can't do anything! I hate everything when I'm in that mood! Thank god for this forum!

It's hard to see the wood for the trees when you're tired and stressed. An uninterrupted, (hot) cup of coffee, and an hour or two to enjoy it will refresh you mentally :)

I can't get an au pair as i live at home and there's no room! I would get one though if I had my own place! And her dad throws a hissy fit if I ask him to bring a packet of wipes, so I doubt I'd get money for a child minder :P

I'll try see what my folks can do! Or I might ask my friend to take her for an hour during the week so I can do something for me! EvenIif it's just to go get a cup of coffee around the corner! She got her needles so I was expecting the crankiness and stuff but when it's combined with eczema and your baby is wiggling like crazy you just feel so helpless and frustrated that you can't do anything! I hate everything when I'm in that mood! Thank god for this forum!

I really admire you. I couldn't do it on my own. I'm a total hot head. If I wasn't getting money from the father of my kids I would be kicking his door in and taking anything of value. Literally pulling copper pipes from walls lol your little one is so lucky to have you holding it all together :-D

I really admire you. I couldn't do it on my own. I'm a total hot head. If I wasn't getting money from the father of my kids I would be kicking his door in and taking anything of value. Literally pulling copper pipes from walls lol your little one is so lucky to have you holding it all together :-D

He's a nuisance and doesn't care about anyone but himself! He thinks he's "supporting" annabelle by bringing a packet of wipes sporadically! There's already hassle over access, guardianship and the lot so adding fights over money is one step too far. He'll eventually have to cough up (through a court order) or he'll do a runner.. we'll see!

My best friend is off for a week, so might ask her for a few favours! :)

He's a nuisance and doesn't care about anyone but himself! He thinks he's "supporting" annabelle by bringing a packet of wipes sporadically! There's already hassle over access, guardianship and the lot so adding fights over money is one step too far. He'll eventually have to cough up (through a court order) or he'll do a runner.. we'll see!

My best friend is off for a week, so might ask her for a few favours! :)

Yeah your dead right. You should def not kick his door in anyway lol aw friends are great like that. Even if she can't do the favours at least you will have some company :-) I hate when I'm off and everyone else is working. My last baby I was pregnant with my 3 sils and a few of my friends and we were all due within weeks of each other so I had a club this time around but on my son I was climbing the walls. It's hard being at home all the time with a baby even when you have someone to come home that night to help you. Don't feel down because what your doing is very very hard and it's ok to be sad sometimes.

• Advertisement

Yeah your dead right. You should def not kick his door in anyway lol aw friends are great like that. Even if she can't do the favours at least you will have some company :-) I hate when I'm off and everyone else is working. My last baby I was pregnant with my 3 sils and a few of my friends and we were all due within weeks of each other so I had a club this time around but on my son I was climbing the walls. It's hard being at home all the time with a baby even when you have someone to come home that night to help you. Don't feel down because what your doing is very very hard and it's ok to be sad sometimes.

I hope on my next baby, something like that happens with me and my friends!

Thanks! It's good to know i have the support here too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I hope on my next baby, something like that happens with me and my friends!

Thanks! It's good to know i have the support here too!

Being the first in a group of friends is very hard. No one actually realises how much work kids are and how restricting they are. I was the first of mine. Thankfully I have a few more friends now (all mammies) but with both of mine I felt very lonely, still do. I can go several days with barely fleeting adult conversations.

Just had a 45 long argument with Aidan at 3am. This was supposed to be the first night in over a week I got at least 8 hours undisturbed rest. So bloody annoyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Probably shouldn't complain too much because she didn't actually get up but my 16 week old has turned into the most noisy, unsettled sleeper the last two nights. She was always scratching the sides of the Moses basket and kicking her legs around in it but when we moved her to the cot a lot of that stopped. She's now hitting/kicking the bars and making very peculiar noises. She even manages to get scrunched up, head touching bars at one side and feet to the other despite being very long and being in a grobag! Doesn't make for a very restful night sleep for any of us, although she seems least disturbed by it!

Roesy wrote: »
    Probably shouldn't complain too much because she didn't actually get up but my 16 week old has turned into the most noisy, unsettled sleeper the last two nights. She was always scratching the sides of the Moses basket and kicking her legs around in it but when we moved her to the cot a lot of that stopped. She's now hitting/kicking the bars and making very peculiar noises. She even manages to get scrunched up, head touching bars at one side and feet to the other despite being very long and being in a grobag! Doesn't make for a very restful night sleep for any of us, although she seems least disturbed by it!

My son still somersaults around the bed at 3 😳 we ended up taking the cot down and letting him sleep in travel cot.

I've been feeling the mammy low the last few weeks. I call it that because it was never really an issue before I had kids lol the mammy low is looking at myself in the mirror and seeing neglected skin and hair, raggy clothes and that all round knackered look lol
    Anyway I decided to fix it today by buying a new dress and shoes for an upcoming wedding. Voila! I'm cured... For now anyway lol you can never under estimate the power of a good shop. Especially when your always buying for kids and husband and your own wardrobe is basically a box of rags lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I've been feeling the mammy low the last few weeks. I call it that because it was never really an issue before I had kids lol the mammy low is looking at myself in the mirror and seeing neglected skin and hair, raggy clothes and that all round knackered look lol
    Anyway I decided to fix it today by buying a new dress and shoes for an upcoming wedding. Voila! I'm cured... For now anyway lol you can never under estimate the power of a good shop. Especially when your always buying for kids and husband and your own wardrobe is basically a box of rags lol

I hear ya!!;) I suffer with this quite a bit haha. I got my hair all chopped off and that was the beginning of my upturn :)

Gee_G wrote: »
    I hear ya!!;) I suffer with this quite a bit haha. I got my hair all chopped off and that was the beginning of my upturn :)

Yes it comes and goes lol April is always a good month for us and we have a good bit of spare cash lying about so I've told my husband it's mine. I'm filling my wardrobe and getting my teeth done lol in anticipation of this prosperous month I've made plans to have a lovely girly shopping spree day in town with my besty :-) living for it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

So fricking tired! By 3am my little acrobat was turned sideways in the cot, head touching the bars on one side and leg(in grobag) stuck through the bars on the other side. It was pretty funny looking as she's so long but she was all squashed. Had to turn her without waking her then it took ages to get back to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

We're on a weeks holidays skiing - my husband has always loved it and I'm happy to join. But four hours fairly intense exercise and a baby who has decided to be awake for for hours in two shifts each night has not left me happy. After settling her last night I tried to join everyone for dinner. Only to fine that the seat left for me was at the baby end - we've joined friends and I ended up sitting beside their kids.

And for some reason that was the thing that sent me to bed in tears (without dinner)!

Asleep by 9, baby awake by 10 for 2 hours. Himself had come to bed after me so he wasn't in a better state. Back to sleep, she woke up for another 2 hours later. And then refused to sleep anywhere but the bed - a small double - which meant I didn't get more than a light doze after that...

Went down to breakfast at 8 (the chalet has very strict meal times to get everyone to lessons) and lasted all of 5 mins. Hubby asks "are you ok?" And I end up in floods of years and a nosebleed just as all the friends start joining us...

Back to bed for me. Baby's with the sitter for the next few hours so I need to put down the phone and sleep. I'll try that :)

(I know, great holiday...)

Roesy wrote: »
    So fricking tired! By 3am my little acrobat was turned sideways in the cot, head touching the bars on one side and leg(in grobag) stuck through the bars on the other side. It was pretty funny looking as she's so long but she was all squashed. Had to turn her without waking her then it took ages to get back to sleep.

My lo did this this morning! Means more head banging off the bars and more waking up for mammy!

• Advertisement

nicowa wrote: »
    We're on a weeks holidays skiing - my husband has always loved it and I'm happy to join. But four hours fairly intense exercise and a baby who has decided to be awake for for hours in two shifts each night has not left me happy. After settling her last night I tried to join everyone for dinner. Only to fine that the seat left for me was at the baby end - we've joined friends and I ended up sitting beside their kids.

And for some reason that was the thing that sent me to bed in tears (without dinner)!

Asleep by 9, baby awake by 10 for 2 hours. Himself had come to bed after me so he wasn't in a better state. Back to sleep, she woke up for another 2 hours later. And then refused to sleep anywhere but the bed - a small double - which meant I didn't get more than a light doze after that...

Went down to breakfast at 8 (the chalet has very strict meal times to get everyone to lessons) and lasted all of 5 mins. Hubby asks "are you ok?" And I end up in floods of years and a nosebleed just as all the friends start joining us...

Back to bed for me. Baby's with the sitter for the next few hours so I need to put down the phone and sleep. I'll try that :)

(I know, great holiday...)

Get some sleep - nothing is easy or fun when you're sleep deprived. And put your husband at the kids end of the table tonight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

After a marathon 2 hour feeding/winding session, I finally got into my own bed at 2am (where my OH had been snoring since midnight). So when the baby woke up looking for more food at 3am, I was way too exhausted to even think about another feed. Do you think my lovely partner would cop this on?? Pffftt!! Down the stairs he goes and comes back with the bottle, nudging me on the shoulder and saying he'll leave it on my bedside locker and whenever I'm ready I can feed the baby :rolleyes: I wish I could say I was polite but after 4 weeks of me doing all of the night feeds I was at the end of my tether :(

Don't get me wrong, he's great in every other way but it drives me up the wall that he just assumes I'll do the night feeding, then he goes back into his sleep coma while I'm left sitting up and then he'll be telling anyone he meets how sleep deprived he is :rolleyes: I wouldn't mind doing the night feeds if he was back at work but he's still on his time off so he has no excuse. I'm not sure if he even understood why I gave him a bollicking, chances are he thinks I was just being 'hormonal' and that infuriates me even more! Gah!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

After a marathon 2 hour feeding/winding session, I finally got into my own bed at 2am (where my OH had been snoring since midnight). So when the baby woke up looking for more food at 3am, I was way too exhausted to even think about another feed. Do you think my lovely partner would cop this on?? Pffftt!! Down the stairs he goes and comes back with the bottle, nudging me on the shoulder and saying he'll leave it on my bedside locker and whenever I'm ready I can feed the baby :rolleyes: I wish I could say I was polite but after 4 weeks of me doing all of the night feeds I was at the end of my tether :(

Don't get me wrong, he's great in every other way but it drives me up the wall that he just assumes I'll do the night feeding, then he goes back into his sleep coma while I'm left sitting up and then he'll be telling anyone he meets how sleep deprived he is :rolleyes: I wouldn't mind doing the night feeds if he was back at work but he's still on his time off so he has no excuse. I'm not sure if he even understood why I gave him a bollicking, chances are he thinks I was just being 'hormonal' and that infuriates me even more! Gah!

So do it again. Only speak as if you're talking to a child. Small words. Short sentences. Involve him in it using rhetorical questions... I've been there. It's the only thing that works sometimes.

I got some sleep. I feel miles better. Now off to have some food and I'll begin to feel human. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Wrecked here too. S took a serious hopper yesterday and has a fat swollen lip which kept waking him up all night. Poor monkey, I feel terrible for him but I had a headache all day yesterday and a good night's sleep would have cleared it. Instead I can barely move my head without waves of pain shooting through it.

And then I came down for breakfast to discover that the dogs had eaten my bagels. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

iguana wrote: »
    And then I came down for breakfast to discover that the dogs had eaten my bagels. :(

I'm really sorry but this made me laugh - having 2 dogs myself I know the feeling only too well!

And I needed a laugh, I'm in the depths of misery because today is my LO's first full day in creche and I miss her terribly. I'm jonesing for an Izzy hug!

I want to punch my doctor. He can't prescribe antihistamines for A but the child is in bits with itching. She cannot settle which leads to many wake ups during the night, which leads to a very cranky mammy who has no energy to do anything! She's asleep in my arms but guaranteed the minute I put her down she'll wake me. . She's even twitching in her sleep. .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I want to punch my doctor. He can't prescribe antihistamines for A but the child is in bits with itching. She cannot settle which leads to many wake ups during the night, which leads to a very cranky mammy who has no energy to do anything! She's asleep in my arms but guaranteed the minute I put her down she'll wake me. . She's even twitching in her sleep. .
    I think they make them very drowsy and that is why they won't prescribe them to a baby so young if I remember correctly.
    But I think there is an over the counter one, my little fella is 18months and they said that he could take it if I wanted. Can't remember the name of it but might be worth asking your pharmacist?

Pat McGhee wrote: »
    And I needed a laugh, I'm in the depths of misery because today is my LO's first full day in creche and I miss her terribly. I'm jonesing for an Izzy hug!

Hope you are having a great weekend together.

Is there any better way to start a morning than with a poop in the bath? :( I'm just relieved he was bathing solo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

iguana wrote: »
    Is there any better way to start a morning than with a poop in the bath? :( I'm just relieved he was bathing solo.

Oh my LO used to do that all the time. Even in the shower with me. My sister recommended sitting her on the toilet or potty just before she gets in and she hasnt done it in months.
    I now sit her on the toilet every morning and every evening while she brushes her teeth. She has wee'd a few times and even pooed in it. Not trying to train her yet. Shes nearly 23 months but i think when i do she wont have the fear of it.

Advertisement