Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

I need a break!! Just an hour in my own that's all. My OH is working all the hours he can so I feel bad asking him. My boy is so good but it's constant feeding changing then when he is asleep I'm cooking and cleaning. He is asleep now I might lie down beside him. Haven't has breakfast yet and I'm starving though!! Anyone want to come make me brekkie?? I admire anyone with more than one child seriously!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I need a break!! Just an hour in my own that's all. My OH is working all the hours he can so I feel bad asking him. My boy is so good but it's constant feeding changing then when he is asleep I'm cooking and cleaning. He is asleep now I might lie down beside him. Haven't has breakfast yet and I'm starving though!! Anyone want to come make me brekkie?? I admire anyone with more than one child seriously!!

Me too, I'm knackered. It's his turn for a lie in this morning (we do one morning each at the weekend) and the little man is awake since quarter to six. Can barely see. Think I'll have a disco nap later!

I just keep thinking how much harder it will be when I'm back at work. Aaaggghhh stressing myself out!!

I just keep thinking how much harder it will be when I'm back at work. Aaaggghhh stressing myself out!!

God, I know, I'm dreading it. I'm the most disorganised person in the world, how I'm gonna get me up, get him up, get him a bottle, dressed, into the car and round to my mam's house, complete with all his stuff, his bottles for the day, his food for the day, and get myself on the road by 7.30 to be in work for 8am I have no idea. I'll have to get up at about 5.30am! And I work till 9pm! home, make bottles, organise my stuff and his stuff for the morning, collapse asleep for oh, maybe 2 hours. Nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

nikpmup wrote: »
    God, I know, I'm dreading it. I'm the most disorganised person in the world, how I'm gonna get me up, get him up, get him a bottle, dressed, into the car and round to my mam's house, complete with all his stuff, his bottles for the day, his food for the day, and get myself on the road by 7.30 to be in work for 8am I have no idea. I'll have to get up at about 5.30am! And I work till 9pm! home, make bottles, organise my stuff and his stuff for the morning, collapse asleep for oh, maybe 2 hours. Nightmare.

I found it harder this time because I have two of them to get ready and get out and get myself looking semi decent before 7 but the trick for me was getting up before them and having shower etc then sorting them. I did try and dress them but it was too much to do so agreed with my mam that she would do it. She also comes around now so I don't have to do the drop off and she brings them home in the evenings and gets them into pjs for me too. Maybe speak to your mam to see if she can help out in that way?

• Advertisement

My mam doesn't drive and it's too far to walk, so I'll have to drop him round. She'd be happy enough to take him in his pj's and dress him herself, as well as putting him in his pjs in the evening. My OH will be collecting him around 6.30pm, he'll take him home, then give him a bottle and put him to bed. I'd love to be able to afford to take a couple of years off. Declaring myself bankrupt and not having to pay a mortgage is starting to sound appealing!

My mam doesn't drive and it's too far to walk, so I'll have to drop him round. She'd be happy enough to take him in his pj's and dress him herself, as well as putting him in his pjs in the evening. My OH will be collecting him around 6.30pm, he'll take him home, then give him a bottle and put him to bed. I'd love to be able to afford to take a couple of years off. Declaring myself bankrupt and not having to pay a mortgage is starting to sound appealing!

Ha ha why don't you take some parental leave? Maybe even shave an hour or two off each day until your bank in the swing of things...

I'm very unorganised too. I will have to leave a key of my house with my parents incase I forget something in his bag!

Ha ha why don't you take some parental leave? Maybe even shave an hour or two off each day until your bank in the swing of things...

I'm applying for 6hrs parental leave a fortnight, but my job are tightening up parental leave, I might not be able to take it like that, have to play wait and see.

I'm applying for 6hrs parental leave a fortnight, but my job are tightening up parental leave, I might not be able to take it like that, have to play wait and see.

Fingers crossed they can. This 6 hrs can make all the difference. 6 hours is a lot when it comes to keeping your home in order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Just need a bit of a vent. A friend of my husband and his wife had a baby around the same time as us. All throughout the pregnancy she would make comments and comparisons. Her bump was much bigger than mine and she would say things like 'x is due around the same time as us and her bump is like mine, you're very small' or 'are you sure of your dates?'. There were concerns about my amniotic fluid levels so I was already a bit paranoid about the size of my bump. When I told her that a chemist nearby had a good price on sterilisers she told me she didn't need it because preparing for bottle feeding was preparing to fail at breastfeeding and that she was definitely going to breastfeed for the first year. I felt bad because my attitude was that I'd give breastfeeding a go and if it worked out great and if not I'd have given her a decent start. I figured that I'd use the bottles and steriliser if I was expressing anyway. When the subject of birth plans came up mine was pretty much go with the flow, if I needed an epidural on the day I'd get it. When she heard that, I was given a lot of facts about epidurals and pain relief and how they slow down labour etc and that I'd be better off not getting one. In the end she ended up getting an epidural and I didn't and her comment was that her labour was more intense over being induced after a labour that failed to progress. One of the other wives reminded her that I had been induced too over being ten days overdue and she more or less said that my labour must not have been that bad. Since the babies have come along the comparisons have been coming thick and fast. Is she doing this yet? How much does she weigh? Oh, she gets that much formula, that's an awful lot. When they were 9 and 5/6 weeks respectively I got 'Oh, she's not sleeping through the night? We've been sleeping through the night for a couple of weeks'. I was still breastfeeding at that stage and was happy with her only waking once a night at that stage, breastfeeding hadn't worked out for her. Olivia started sleeping through the night at around 11 weeks which I thought was great, she really found her own schedule whereas they were sleep training from very early on. On the rare occasion myself or my husband puts a picture of little miss looking cute on facebook she puts one of their baby up within the hour. Now of course it could have been coincidence a couple of times but in the 4 months I've put up 7 pictures and each time she's done it. It's all so competitive. Can't really avoid her as there are a few group occasions coming up. Not sure why it's getting to me more the last couple of days but it is. Early on in the pregnancy I stupidly thought it would be nice to have someone to compare notes with!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Roesy wrote: »
    Just need a bit of a vent. A friend of my husband and his wife had a baby around the same time as us. All throughout the pregnancy she would make comments and comparisons. Her bump was much bigger than mine and she would say things like 'x is due around the same time as us and her bump is like mine, you're very small' or 'are you sure of your dates?'. There were concerns about my amniotic fluid levels so I was already a bit paranoid about the size of my bump. When I told her that a chemist nearby had a good price on sterilisers she told me she didn't need it because preparing for bottle feeding was preparing to fail at breastfeeding and that she was definitely going to breastfeed for the first year. I felt bad because my attitude was that I'd give breastfeeding a go and if it worked out great and if not I'd have given her a decent start. I figured that I'd use the bottles and steriliser if I was expressing anyway. When the subject of birth plans came up mine was pretty much go with the flow, if I needed an epidural on the day I'd get it. When she heard that, I was given a lot of facts about epidurals and pain relief and how they slow down labour etc and that I'd be better off not getting one. In the end she ended up getting an epidural and I didn't and her comment was that her labour was more intense over being induced after a labour that failed to progress. One of the other wives reminded her that I had been induced too over being ten days overdue and she more or less said that my labour must not have been that bad. Since the babies have come along the comparisons have been coming thick and fast. Is she doing this yet? How much does she weigh? Oh, she gets that much formula, that's an awful lot. When they were 9 and 5/6 weeks respectively I got 'Oh, she's not sleeping through the night? We've been sleeping through the night for a couple of weeks'. I was still breastfeeding at that stage and was happy with her only waking once a night at that stage, breastfeeding hadn't worked out for her. Olivia started sleeping through the night at around 11 weeks which I thought was great, she really found her own schedule whereas they were sleep training from very early on. On the rare occasion myself or my husband puts a picture of little miss looking cute on facebook she puts one of their baby up within the hour. Now of course it could have been coincidence a couple of times but in the 4 months I've put up 7 pictures and each time she's done it. It's all so competitive. Can't really avoid her as there are a few group occasions coming up. Not sure why it's getting to me more the last couple of days but it is. Early on in the pregnancy I stupidly thought it would be nice to have someone to compare notes with!! :(

I have a friend similar to that. Its like anything you can do, I can do better!!
    But I can guarantee you half of what she is telling you is rubbish! But she will never admit that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Tbh Roesy it sounds as tho she is extremely insecure. You sound like you're doing a great job and perhaps this woman is a bit jealous of you? That's the only reason I can think of for all the comparisons. That or she's a complete know-it-all. It's normal to compare notes once or twice but she seems a bit over the top. Just perhaps try and ignore her or change the subject when she brings up the babies.

You ask anyone who has had a baby and they will tell you that they have had some experience of this ha ha it always irritated me but then I had my 2nd and the experience was completely different. On my son I was in absolute Agony and I had the epidural and on my daughter I waltzed it with no pain relief. My so never slept. Total insomniac! My daughter has slept through since 1 week. Breast feeding fail on both. Wasn't arses. If they didn't want the boob I didn't want them to have it. My son was an absolute chunk and hit all the mile stones very early. My daughter is tiny (only in 25 centile in weight but 95 In length so is very gangley lol) and is as lazy at ten months she is moving very little and only has two teeth. Point is I have done nothing different this time around. They are all different. Sure what fun would the world be if they were all the same. She is only making comparisons because of her own insecurity and you will find if you come back with a lot of praise in great a mammy she is it will prob cut a lot of it out :-D

Thanks guys. It was just getting to me a bit and being a first time parent is hard enough without feeling like its a competition. She does seem like she can be uptight and easily stressed whereas myself and himself are pretty laid back. At the end of the day we just want a healthy, happy baby as opposed to being obsessed with having a textbook baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Me and my friend were due 5 days apart. We were best friends from school onwards. Happens she was the same all the way through comparing (she was having number 3 this was my first) anyway she was telling me how it will be and so on yet nothing she was saying fit my pregnancy I carried neat she didn't with any of them. Then my due date came and bang baby was coming (which she said wouldn't happen and I know doesn't always) she went 11 days over. After the BCG she stopped comparing the two of the babies and 8 months on she got married and I wasn't invited. Suited me as it was over Christmas. I've come to realise my "perfect" pregnancy and labour didn't sit well. And been her older sister is with my dad I hear all bout her child and she's annoyed my lady is active and taken steps at nearly 11 months and her little one won't budge or crawl.

It's annoying all the same but I feel I accomplished alot as a first time mum and been pregnant while doing it.

Head up you've done your best which annoys her as she hasn't done what she said she would

Thanks guys. It was just getting to me a bit and being a first time parent is hard enough without feeling like its a competition. She does seem like she can be uptight and easily stressed whereas myself and himself are pretty laid back. At the end of the day we just want a healthy, happy baby as opposed to being obsessed with having a textbook baby.

Looking back I wish I was as laid back on my first as you are. I was a bit of an a hole if I'm being completely honest lol learned from it this time round. Sounds like you have learned on your first what most (well me anyway) don't learn until subsequent children. Sounds like your doing great. Don't let her insecurity put you in a bad place :-D

Looking back I wish I was as laid back on my first as you are. I was a bit of an a hole if I'm being completely honest lol learned from it this time round. Sounds like you have learned on your first what most (well me anyway) don't learn until subsequent children. Sounds like your doing great. Don't let her insecurity put you in a bad place :-D

Thanks! We've had tough times with reflux and colic but thankfully things have started to settle and if one of us was starting to get a bit stressed by it the other would step up a bit more to give the other a bit of time to themselves if necessary. It also helps that between parental leave and holiday time my husband has been working 3 or 4 day weeks for the last 8 weeks so it's been easier than it might have been otherwise. He's back fulltime this week so we'll see how laid back I am then :P

This post made me realise that I never thanked my best friend for not doing this when she was pregnant on her 3rd and I was on my first. She just got the text lol she was so supportive and let me find my own way. Thank god for good friends because you don't care as much about the bad ones then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

It's annoying alright! You're both trying to cope, one shouldn't be trying to compete with the other, but support each other. Don't understand it and hope I'm not gonna be like that when my friends have kids!

• Advertisement

She sounds like she's feeling resentful that you were able to breastfeed and had an epidural free labour, and probably a bit foolish for being such a know-it-all before the baby came along and she realised she knew jack. Well, none of that is your or her fault nor did you cause it. I would normally advocate a big exaggerated roll of the eyes whenever she passes comment, but tbh I reckon she's feeing in some way judged, and is taking it out on you. Say nowt, smile sweetly. You're doing a great job and Olivia is thriving.

She sounds like she's feeling resentful that you were able to breastfeed and had an epidural free labour, and probably a bit foolish for being such a know-it-all before the baby came along and she realised she knew jack. Well, none of that is your or her fault nor did you cause it. I would normally advocate a big exaggerated roll of the eyes whenever she passes comment, but tbh I reckon she's feeing in some way judged, and is taking it out on you. Say nowt, smile sweetly. You're doing a great job and Olivia is thriving.

With regards the breastfeeding, I only lasted a few weeks longer than she did and I can't imagine beating myself up over it, especially not knowing that I gave it my best shot! But yeah, think you're right, I'm going to grin and bear it. Just heard their christening is soon. We haven't booked ours yet, bet the comparisons will start again when we finally do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Suucee wrote: »
    Oh my LO used to do that all the time. Even in the shower with me. My sister recommended sitting her on the toilet or potty just before she gets in and she hasnt done it in months.
    I now sit her on the toilet every morning and every evening while she brushes her teeth. She has wee'd a few times and even pooed in it. Not trying to train her yet. Shes nearly 23 months but i think when i do she wont have the fear of it.

It was very unexpected as he'd just had a huge poop half an hour before his bath so I thought he was quite cleared out. Yet he managed to do twice as much again in the bath and then didn't poop for nearly 48 hours. Then back to a humongous one this morning followed by another within the hour. I wonder if this is going to be a new pattern. 2 big poos every second morning with none in between.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Gotta love the 4am feeds ...

Seriously, in a way it's great that his feeding pattern is like clockwork, every four hours, always.

In another way, I reeeeeally would love a night of uninterrupted sleep. I'm up and fully awake now, he's gone back to sleep but I doubt I'll get any more for the rest of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I got to bed at 11 and junior woke at 3 for his feed along with the rest of the house. I didn't get back asleep and am now sitting in Hurst for a train to Kerry and a drive back later today.
    I love my life... And coffee

My 7 month old has started waking every hour of every night looking to be held.. during the day she's started throwing a tantrum if you don't pick her up.. Please tell me this is just a phase. .

loubian wrote: »
    My 7 month old has started waking every hour of every night looking to be held.. during the day she's started throwing a tantrum if you don't pick her up.. Please tell me this is just a phase. .

It's just a phase :) is there a reason for it? Is she teething? Mine has 2 teeth at 3 months

It's just a phase :) is there a reason for it? Is she teething? Mine has 2 teeth at 3 months

She probably is teething but I don't think the teeth will cut for a while so I think this will go on a while :( I'm also going to go to the doc and demand he give us something for the itching because we haven't had a full night sleep since I can't remember...

She probably is teething but I don't think the teeth will cut for a while so I think this will go on a while :( I'm also going to go to the doc and demand he give us something for the itching because we haven't had a full night sleep since I can't remember...

What kind of itching? Is it a rash she has. Try silcox base in the chemist. It's OTC and relatively cheap for a big tub. My gp gave it to us for my son. She will be dribbling a lot and eating her hands with teething. Try a cold teething ring. Put a water or gel filled one in the fridge

• Advertisement

Omg I can't believe the poor child is still itching. I think doctors are reluctant to give prescriptions for things like that. Maybe try a dermatologist?

Advertisement