Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

You poor thing Loubian - lack of sleep just makes everything harder to cope with. My little man has developed a habit of waking at 4am, initially it was because he was congested and he had a dry cough which was waking him, so I was taking him into my bed to settle him, now I think he just likes coming into the bed! I'm wrecked, he spends most nights from 4am to 6am mooching. We're going away for two nights this week, and my sister is taking him - while I feel guilty that she'll be up with him and guilty for leaving him for the two nights (mammyguiltmammyguiltmammyguilt!!) I have to admit I'm yearning for two nights uninterrupted sleep!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Nikpump I bet anything that he will sleep all night for her!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I agree with lolademmers.....he probably will sleep like an angel haha!

I hope he does, firstly cos I don't want to put her off babysitting again! And secondly, it might break this habit he's gotten into and he may start sleeping through again.
    We bought a humidifier for the room which is running for the first time at the moment, hopefully he won't wake up congested tonight.

He's currently dropping off by himself in the cot while I sit quietly in the corner of the room with the iPad. Self soothing FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

uninterrupted sleep - what's that?
    I remember people warning me to get all the sleep I can before baba comes, and I laughed it off ---- I'm not laughing anymore! I never realised how much I love, love, LOVE my sleep until I had our little man. Am still waiting for his sleep pattern to emerge but he's beginning to go 5 -6 hr stretches at night now, so fingers crossed that will continue.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 cavalryman3

Taking Stimulants (including high amounts of caffeine) with no sleep (I mean getting no sleep what so ever a full on all nigher), = PSYCHOTICS. maybe not caffeine, but if you go for 2 days without sleep you will start to loose it, and taking Stimulants will make the psychosis worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

My little man started sleeping all night fully without having to get up to give him dummy at 8 months. He's 11 months now and I should be sleeping except I'm heavily pregnant and uncomfortable. Then baby comes and the cycle starts all over again.

Before 8 months he mainly slept all night just 1 bottle at 5 or 6 am then that slowly became 3 then 1 then 12 and now it's between 9 and 10. He goes down at 7 bottle at 10 and sleepts till half 8 he got it on his own. It really does get better just doesn't seem that way for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

My little man started sleeping all night fully without having to get up to give him dummy at 8 months. He's 11 months now and I should be sleeping except I'm heavily pregnant and uncomfortable. Then baby comes and the cycle starts all over again.

Before 8 months he mainly slept all night just 1 bottle at 5 or 6 am then that slowly became 3 then 1 then 12 and now it's between 9 and 10. He goes down at 7 bottle at 10 and sleepts till half 8 he got it on his own. It really does get better just doesn't seem that way for a long time

That's great going! Did you do anything to influence his sleep pattern, or did it just happen by itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Pretty much by himself. I did try the dream feed but he would scream until I put him back into his cot so that stopped after two attempts. I think letting him work it out himself really worked wonders also the way I stopped me getting up to give dummy was have 4 in his cot at all times. He finds one himself

It's all trial and error and really there is no wrong every babies different I can almost see the next one been a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I've run out of formula again. . I have to buy a new tin every three days and spend between 12-16 euro per 400g tin.. all her dad brings is a packet of wipes and he thinks he's contributing. I sent him a text saying I need him to bring formula next week; I'm expecting a text back saying how he can't afford it blah blah blah..

I am in bits from last night, not from the drink, from dancing, I can't walk, I came home got into my pjs and realised we've run out. My mam is in the pub, I don't drive and the chemist nearest me usually don't have any nutramigen :'( I'd give her sma as a last resort but I'd need to buy a new tin of that too! Waa!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

loubian wrote: »
    I've run out of formula again. . I have to buy a new tin every three days and spend between 12-16 euro per 400g tin.. all her dad brings is a packet of wipes and he thinks he's contributing. I sent him a text saying I need him to bring formula next week; I'm expecting a text back saying how he can't afford it blah blah blah..

I am in bits from last night, not from the drink, from dancing, I can't walk, I came home got into my pjs and realised we've run out. My mam is in the pub, I don't drive and the chemist nearest me usually don't have any nutramigen :'( I'd give her sma as a last resort but I'd need to buy a new tin of that too! Waa!

By any chance do you have a medical card? If so, some nutramigen is covered I think.

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    By any chance do you have a medical card? If so, some nutramigen is covered I think.

I don't, I keep meaning to get around to sorting out the form!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I don't, I keep meaning to get around to sorting out the form!

Apply online! Much quicker, because it tells you if you're eligible at the end of the form, then you just print it, bring it to your doc and send it off with the info needed.

www.medicalcard.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I really recommend you get the medical card if you can. We had to put our boy on nutramigen and there was no way we could have afforded it without the medical card. It's a total god-send if you can get it. Our baby ended up having a lot of . problems with reflux and allergies that we are still dealing with and I ended up having a lot of problems with PND and because I had a medical card I was able to afford the necessary treatment for my LO and get into hse programs for moms with pnd.

Lo was asleep so soundly I had to check on her as a result of my own paranoia. . Then I come up to bed and she wakes and will only sleep in my arms! I don't know if I prefer this scenario or her waking up multiple times while I'm still downstairs and sleeping when I come up.. probably the latter. .

My mam is driving me nuts. She always has a comment on everything. Feeding annabelle and she always comments "I think she's had enough now" when we're coming to the end. Annabelle is leaning forward mouth open waiting for the next spoonful. Then giving her rice cake or toast and she says "oh I don't think she can have that yet" even though she's seen annabelle eat the stuff this morning. We were up at 8.30 this morning so I started making annabelles breakfast; my mam says "its a bit early isn't it?" I just said no and continued feeding her.

She also comments on stuff about me.. Went out for dinner and I got spaghetti bolognese. I couldn't finish it and she said "well it is a huge bowl of pasta" when she's sitting there with her own massive burger and chips. It may not seem petty, especially the last one, but it's annoying the hell out of me at the moment.

Having a bad mammy day today :(

Some days it all goes well - he's in good form, he naps, he eats, he plays, he's in good form, and I think, 'I've got this parenting lark.'' Other days, like today, I just wonder what the hell I'm at. Nothing terrible happened, just an accumulation of little stuff. Like, after a good run of not spewing up, he gagged or coughed today and spewed everywhere. Tried to get him to do his physio and he was having none of it, cried and cried. Tried to give him his lunch and he spat it out and mashed it everywhere then cried when I tried to clean him (guess he doesn't like pea puree then!) If he wasn't asleep today he was crying, didn't want to be held, didn't want to play, didn't want to sit, didn't want to do anything other than passively lie and watch TV!

He's behind on his gross motor skills (hence the physio) and it's days like this that make me really worry. He doesn't show any inclination to want to roll, he doesn't seem interested in toys or trying to reach out and grab them. I have so many bits of baby equipment - bumbo chair with a toy tray, jumperoo, swing seat - and he only lasts five minutes in each of them. A six month old should be into everything, surely? I'm constantly worried that I'm not doing enough with him, or worse, that his apathy is down to an as yet undiagnosed problem. I don't even know if it is apathy. Barely got a smile out of him today. Add to that that the house being a tip and me in bad need of a hairwash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

nikpmup wrote: »
    Having a bad mammy day today :(

Some days it all goes well - he's in good form, he naps, he eats, he plays, he's in good form, and I think, 'I've got this parenting lark.'' Other days, like today, I just wonder what the hell I'm at. Nothing terrible happened, just an accumulation of little stuff. Like, after a good run of not spewing up, he gagged or coughed today and spewed everywhere. Tried to get him to do his physio and he was having none of it, cried and cried. Tried to give him his lunch and he spat it out and mashed it everywhere then cried when I tried to clean him (guess he doesn't like pea puree then!) If he wasn't asleep today he was crying, didn't want to be held, didn't want to play, didn't want to sit, didn't want to do anything other than passively lie and watch TV!

He's behind on his gross motor skills (hence the physio) and it's days like this that make me really worry. He doesn't show any inclination to want to roll, he doesn't seem interested in toys or trying to reach out and grab them. I have so many bits of baby equipment - bumbo chair with a toy tray, jumperoo, swing seat - and he only lasts five minutes in each of them. A six month old should be into everything, surely? I'm constantly worried that I'm not doing enough with him, or worse, that his apathy is down to an as yet undiagnosed problem. I don't even know if it is apathy. Barely got a smile out of him today. Add to that that the house being a tip and me in bad need of a hairwash.

Sounds like a rotten day. My little one only started moving a few weeks ago and she is 11 months in a week. She sat at 7 months whereas my son was all over the place by six. I also have 3 people around me that had babies close to me and only 1 of those babies is crawling (mine is bumming)

At six months the lack of movement isn't a massive issue in itself but the lack of interest in toys coupled with the lack of movement might be worth mentioning to your phn.

My house is always upside down so I just don't let childless ppl visit anymore ha ha meet them somewhere. All the mammys are welcome though and batiste should be your best friend right now lol

So this is the conversation I just had with my 3 year old "Mammy, we have to change our babies name" me: why? Do you not like our babies name?" Him: "no Aifrics name is yeuch"

I don't really know how to respond to that lol I'd say it's probably too late to change her name now though 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I feel your pain the last couple of days nikpmup! She's clingy and whingey and doesn't want to be out of my arms for more than 5 minutes. She howled on and off all day and I ended up putting her down at 7.10. Wonder will I be paying for that when she wakes at silly o clock. Her naps are even more crap than usual and like your little man she's only lasting a couple of minutes in the swing/bumbo/rocker. I've resorted to wearing her around the house in the sling to get anything done the last couple of days. She's forward facing in it now so that seems to keep her interested her for a bit longer. She is quite grabby and pinchy at the moment(must cut her nails!!) and she caught me right on the soft under the eye area. It hurt so much that I shrieked 'Jesus Christ!', her face looked so shocked that I nearly started crying! Honestly, it was like she knew I was upset then and was making ridiculously cute, goofy smiles.

In terms of movement she's constantly on the go but only rolled over about twice since the initial 4 a few weeks ago.

She has two teeth coming through so I'm hoping once that happens she might be a bit more herself. I'm a bit worried about leaving her overnight on Saturday but could definitely do with a break. Period is due in next day or two and that is definitely not helping my mood!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bubs14

I saw this forum and had to join. I'm on the verge of a melt down. My child (8.5 months) has spent the day screaming, went to sleep from 8.45 to 10.35 and woke up screaming and is only settling now. I'm on my own, I have no one to help me. My anger scares me sometimes. I've never hit my child but I throw things in anger. I've tried to walk away to reclaim my thoughts but that only makes my child scream louder and it gets me more angry. I am absolutely the worst mother in the world. Reading on here about mammys feeling heartbroken if your baby cries.. I only get angry. There's something wrong with me. There's a helpless little human in my career that I can't look after. I am so alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Bubs14 wrote: »
    I saw this forum and had to join. I'm on the verge of a melt down. My child (8.5 months) has spent the day screaming, went to sleep from 8.45 to 10.35 and woke up screaming and is only settling now. I'm on my own, I have no one to help me. My anger scares me sometimes. I've never hit my child but I throw things in anger. I've tried to walk away to reclaim my thoughts but that only makes my child scream louder and it gets me more angry. I am absolutely the worst mother in the world. Reading on here about mammys feeling heartbroken if your baby cries.. I only get angry. There's something wrong with me. There's a helpless little human in my career that I can't look after. I am so alone.

I know I certainly feel like screaming sometimes but lucky enough to have a partner/ family to help. That said I think you need to speak to your GP or PHN about baby screaming and your issues.

Babies are very sensitive to our feelings but cannot process them so may be feeling your stress and cannot deal with it.

Can you escape for a few hours - a walk, a swim, anything just for you (not chores).

Also the fact that this upsets you shows that you care. Mind yourself and take care of you too

I was like this on my first. The sound of his constant crying would really get under my skin. I remember one day he got sick on his Moses basket so I had the to take all the covers off and put them in the wash. Has anyone ever tried to put one of those covers back on? Holy hell they are a nightmare. So here I am wrestling with the thing for what felt like an age, my son was with my husband and absolutely screaming (my son was screaming not my husband lol) . The frustration of the two things combined sent me over the edge and I launched the Moses basket accross the sitting room. I'll never forget the look on my husbands face lol.

Wgen you need to get your head straight, put baby down somewhere safe and grab a cup of tea and stand outside the house for a few seconds. Take a sip and a few deep breaths and then head back in. :-D worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

I experienced similar only this week. My little bub started teething in the last week. I did ok over the weekend as I had help but Monday hit with a bang. After 5 hours of screaming I rang my husband (whilst bawling crying myself) and begged him to come home from work (10 minutes away from me). She's 3 months old and I've never gotten to the point where I felt I needed to do this before.

He told me he'd be home in an hour and I cracked, thoughts of another hour felt like an eternity. I put babs in her cot (nice and safe) and went to the other end of the house with a cup of tea and took 15 minutes. She was asleep when I went in to check on her (thank god) but I find when I get to that stage I have to lock myself away where I can't hear her. If I can hear her I just keeping thinking 'I have to go back into that' and I don't really get a break. I've found the utility room with the tumble drier turned on, to muffle out any outside noise, to be my new safe haven.

I feel bad even writing the above. I feel I should never want to get away from my baby but its the truth and it happens. I'm scared something might happen her when I'm not with her but in order to have a healthy happy baby she needs a healthy happy mammy. By putting me first (when needs be) I'm giving her the best care I can and thats all any of us can do. Take care Bubs, I hope your days get easier xxx

I don't like posting about this but I'm raging and I need a Release. A's father and I were in court last week and a court order was made that access take place in my house for one hour on a Saturday from 10-11. He was 45 minutes late today, didn't even text me to let me know, was surprised when I told him he was 45 minutes late, faked being out of breath, told him he was only staying until 11 because A is knackered and is going to sleep at 11. He asked to change it to 30 minutes and I said no coz she needs to sleep. I'll be dealing with a cranky baby then if she doesn't get her rest. He start laughing when I was saying no to his 30 minutes and I went mad, saying this is the only hour in the whole week he sees his daughter and he should make an effort to be on time. Then I ignored him while he put on a showy display (compared to other weeks) of playing with A n then when he left, he text saying "hurt much ha?" :

I don't like posting about this but I'm raging and I need a Release. A's father and I were in court last week and a court order was made that access take place in my house for one hour on a Saturday from 10-11. He was 45 minutes late today, didn't even text me to let me know, was surprised when I told him he was 45 minutes late, faked being out of breath, told him he was only staying until 11 because A is knackered and is going to sleep at 11. He asked to change it to 30 minutes and I said no coz she needs to sleep. I'll be dealing with a cranky baby then if she doesn't get her rest. He start laughing when I was saying no to his 30 minutes and I went mad, saying this is the only hour in the whole week he sees his daughter and he should make an effort to be on time. Then I ignored him while he put on a showy display (compared to other weeks) of playing with A n then when he left, he text saying "hurt much ha?" :

I don't blame you. That is disgusting behavior! It's not about his needs it's about the child. Sounds like he has serious growing up to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Save all those types of text messages. He is emotionally abusing you and as an extension, your child by not turning up on time and sending texts like that.

January wrote: »
    Save all those types of text messages. He is emotionally abusing you and as an extension, your child by not turning up on time and sending texts like that.

+1 - also, get a diary and note down the time and date of all incidences/comments, ie, "Saturday 12th April, arrived at 10.45am, stated xxxxx. A began crying at 11.05am, went to sleep at 11.15am". And if she needs to go to sleep while you're waiting for him to show up, let her. It might sink in that he needs to be on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Anger is sometimes easier than being upset. I know I kicked the wall once over my oldest pushing my buttons. It does sound like you need help. Are you a single mum? Do you get to any parent groups? Cuidiu do one for parents suffering from baby blues or pnd or similar if you can get to one. Ranting (talking it all out) does help. You know you love your child but when you're exhausted it's hard to feel that. And keep coming back here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Sitting in on a bank holiday how times have changed! Although one of our friends is having a house party but we weren't asked. Invisible couple with a child alert!!

Advertisement