Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Sitting in on a bank holiday how times have changed! Although one of our friends is having a house party but we weren't asked. Invisible couple with a child alert!!

Ah no :( Would they have thought you wouldn't get a babysitter for any reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I've been that since I got pregnant and it's really frustrating, just because I'm not drinking doesn't mean I can't go out! Makes it even lonelier, and then they give out that all you talk about is the baby - well if I had half a social life or an occasional night out, I might have something more than that to talk about!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

CaraMay wrote: »
    Ah no :( Would they have thought you wouldn't get a babysitter for any reason?

Maybe? But all we need is a few days notice and we are there!! Does make it lonely alright.
    But I just put my little guy to bed and he fell asleep snuggled up to me. Heaven!! They can keep their party. Plus I will have a clear head in the morning.
    It's an engagement party so would have been nice to be there. My boyfriend is gonna mention it in passing that we were not asked. A few of the girls are pregnant now in our group of friends so will see how things change then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I saw a couple of pics up on FB this week of get togethers that were never mentioned to me at all! Stuff it, I've had 20 years+ of going out on bank holiday ragers, I'm quite happy to stay in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Ah I know me too it's just when it's such a lovely occasion like engagements I would like to be there. But as I said my guy has been super adorable today so I prefer his company anyway ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

My moan is we did go out! Were home by 1 but had a few drinks and it was torture being cheery since 7am with a two year old and almost one year old! All I wanted to do was collapse on the couch! But no it was all fun and activities of course and I'm not the better for it now I can tell ya! I really am not sure it's worth it.... Now if I could just remember that when I'm asked out if do better! Think it's cos I've been stuck in so long I'm always dying for an excuse now but I forget life is very different at 7am the next morning now!!! Ouch

dublinlady wrote: »
    My moan is we did go out! Were home by 1 but had a few drinks and it was torture being cheery since 7am with a two year old and almost one year old! All I wanted to do was collapse on the couch! But no it was all fun and activities of course and I'm not the better for it now I can tell ya! I really am not sure it's worth it.... Now if I could just remember that when I'm asked out if do better! Think it's cos I've been stuck in so long I'm always dying for an excuse now but I forget life is very different at 7am the next morning now!!! Ouch

Ah, you gotta organise a disco nap before you go out if you're gonna!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Who said its impossible to go away with a 13 month old and a 2 week old!?
    We went to a 5 star hotel down the country with our 2 for my birthday/anniversary and it was perfect. We thought Lucy would keep Jack up but he slept 7 till half 8 when I'd to wake him for breakfast. Lucy slept 11 till almost 4 and woke at 8 then. They were great. We were in the most expensive room so got all the extras. The only problem was one of the staff members she hates kids and poor Jack couldn't understand why she wouldn't talk to him. The Other members were lovely even sang happy birthday.

But lesson learned when I think it's gonna be hard I may just get plesently surprised. Best bit is jack now sleeps through any crying instead of joining in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

So jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

That was our first get away in 4 years soooo overdue
    We didn't have honeymoon as I got pregnant right after the wedding so made up for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Im soo tired. Had joint christening party for 5 week old and 2yr old birthday party in the house yesterday. Was good but very packed and busy. Then decided to go out (although i wasnt drinking as on difene and solpadol for sciatica). Was home at 2.30. L woke at 5,6 and 7.30. Then had to spend 2 hrs cleaning the house. But toddler was so amused with all her pressies today. People are so generous. I dont think ill need to buy any clothes for either for months they got so much as gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Going out and having a few drinks is just too much hassle these days. Our 1 year old now wakes at precisely 5.50 every morning so hangovers are a no-no. I can barely function at that hour when I'm well rested and alcohol free. We try to get the grandparents to babysit one night every 3 months or so and we go somewhere overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Ugh I don't know where to start. Bubs hasn't slept properly in three nights, waking every 30 minutes and screaming the house down. Then waking for hours at a time. She's dying with a cold which she has now passed on to me. I'm depending on co-sleeping but even that still doesn't work sometimes. She has to be face Into my pillow to calm down. Spent the weekend in my dads and her routine is all over the place. I don't know what to do. . I'm back to work in 2 and a half weeks, can't be spending all night awake. She started creche on Monday, so she could be reacting to that, plus the cold and im praying for a tooth because I'll be pissed if we get through this and there's no tooth. Don't know whether to bring her to creche either tomorrow; was thinking of keeping her home and trying to get her routine back.. can she still go in if she has a cold do you know? Even for two hours so I can catch up on sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

put the little man (12 weeks) to bed at 11. He fussed and kicked and moaned til 2.30. I was driven demented and didnt get a wink of sleep. hubby slept through it all. Then he nicely says ' you go to the other side of the bed, ill look after him and ill do the 3 o clock feed'. so off i go. I wake at 4.30 to baby crying, hubby passed out asleep. I ask was baby fed at 3 and he said no!!!! So I get up, feed change baby, and Im SO mad I cant go back asleep. I stare at the ceiling til 6 when I decide to get up. 6.30 babys snuza alarm goes off!! I run to the bedroom and theres milk coming out of his nose. I dont know if he actually stopped breathing, of the thing was falling off his nappy but it was scary. Hubby slept through it all. I dont think he can be trusted to do anything at night anymore as he just doesnt wake up when hes supposed to. I mean who doesnt wake up to a screaming baby or shrill alarm going off a foot away from you?

So now I have to survive a day jam packed with appointments, on about 1 and a half hours sleep, with a baby with a completely f-ed up schedule. I may not survive.....

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

loubian wrote: »
    Ugh I don't know where to start. Bubs hasn't slept properly in three nights, waking every 30 minutes and screaming the house down. Then waking for hours at a time. She's dying with a cold which she has now passed on to me. I'm depending on co-sleeping but even that still doesn't work sometimes. She has to be face Into my pillow to calm down. Spent the weekend in my dads and her routine is all over the place. I don't know what to do. . I'm back to work in 2 and a half weeks, can't be spending all night awake. She started creche on Monday, so she could be reacting to that, plus the cold and im praying for a tooth because I'll be pissed if we get through this and there's no tooth. Don't know whether to bring her to creche either tomorrow; was thinking of keeping her home and trying to get her routine back.. can she still go in if she has a cold do you know? Even for two hours so I can catch up on sleep.

You can definitely put her into crèche with a cold. The best thing for them is to be kept upright and it'll be easier for the crèche to do that as they have more ppl there so they can take it in turns and as there's more going on it seems the babies are happier to sit and look around than they may be at home. I don't think keeping her at home will help with routine as it gets messed up with a cold anyway plus u need the rest!

loubian my daughter has had a cold since she was born. I use saline spray and a bulb syringe to get all the snot out. It's part of our bedtime routine now. I also dab lots of olbas oil all over the cot sheet. If she's cosleeping you could put it in whatever you wear to bed.

dori that sounds terrifying. I hope he's ok and your nerves have recovered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Hi all, hope everyone is going good. Haven't been on in ages. Sooooo busy with work and weddings and birthdays this month. Social life is def on the up just in time for summer. I think I mentioned this before but I was reading through comments about going out and can say that since switching my drink of choice to west coast cooler in December I'm having great nights and not suffering the consequences the next day. Some nights I've even come home and had a wee read.

My little lady turned one last week and the relief I feel is just great. Knowing I'm over the hardest part (although she wasn't that hard) is amazing! I didn't really feel that after my son turned one because I knew there would be another one along. Now I'm making loads of plans for the future and it's very exciting!

Hope all you mamas and babas are doing great!

Emmadilema123, it's like you can read my mind. I feel exactly the same as you. My little girl is the most beautiful, cute and funny baby ever but I'm just so unbelievably relieved to be past the 1 year stage. There were times, especially with her awful sleeping habits, when I thought it'd be the end of me. So I also know the hardest part is over and I definitely know I'm never doing it again.

My lo hasn't slept in six nights, it escalated this evening and ended up having to go for a drive and she promptly fell asleep. I know you're only allowed have them in the seat for two hours but do you think she'd be ok just for one night. . Mind she'll probably wake up in a few hours anyway but I'm scared to go asleep while she's in it.. I'm not going to even attempt to lift her as she will more than likely wake up

• Advertisement

Emmadilema123, it's like you can read my mind. I feel exactly the same as you. My little girl is the most beautiful, cute and funny baby ever but I'm just so unbelievably relieved to be past the 1 year stage. There were times, especially with her awful sleeping habits, when I thought it'd be the end of me. So I also know the hardest part is over and I 😄😛definitely know I'm never doing it again.

It's a brilliant feeling and now that the buying clothes every 3 months phase is over I've been buying a tonne of clothes for myself. It's great being a new mama but the return to semi normality is also great lol we have also decided we are now in a position for me to go part time in work which I was desperate for when my son was born because his sleep was awful. Not only are things getting easier but it looks like I might even have some free time :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

We live on the second floor of an apartment building that only has stairs, so in order to escape the buggy has to be brought down in two parts, which if I'm on my own can really only be done if E is asleep in the car seat and can be sat in the hall of our apartment for the five seconds it takes to run down with the buggy. Do you think he will sleep today? Like hell he will. Or will sleep on me and if moved to the car seat screams the place down. I need to get out of the house to get stuff done today, I'm about to crack up, we've been trying this since 11am, he's had two feeds and two nappy changes since then! He's 6 weeks old and it just seems to be getting harder not easier :(

We live on the second floor of an apartment building that only has stairs, so in order to escape the buggy has to be brought down in two parts, which if I'm on my own can really only be done if E is asleep in the car seat and can be sat in the hall of our apartment for the five seconds it takes to run down with the buggy. Do you think he will sleep today? Like hell he will. Or will sleep on me and if moved to the car seat screams the place down. I need to get out of the house to get stuff done today, I'm about to crack up, we've been trying this since 11am, he's had two feeds and two nappy changes since then! He's 6 weeks old and it just seems to be getting harder not easier :(

Oh god that sounds really tough. Is the buggy really heavy. You try a baby carrier and wear him down while carrying the buggy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

LMP I'm really not usually a fan of the "let-them-cry" approach in general ... but in a case like that, I think you might need to let him scream the place down for a few minutes, if that's what it takes to get yourself and himself out of there? Once ye get moving, he'll probably fall asleep in the buggy anyways? You can't let yourself be stuck at home because of it, not good for you or him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Oh and in my own (admittedly limited) experience ... it does get harder and harder, before getting easier. Everyone says the first three months are the hardest ... I found it especially tough around the 6-8 week mark. And it's easy in theory to say that it's only a few weeks, that it'll pass very quickly ... it's not very helpful or reassuring when every minute feels like an hour, every day feels like a year! It's a wonderful time, sometimes, but it can also be a really difficult and overwhelming time. Don't beat yourself up if you're finding it difficult, it's definitely normal, and it will get easier.

I'm on antidepressants and I chose not to tell anyone bar my mum. (Its different here because it's anonymous) it was my choice but twice now I've told a friend that I've to go to the doctor for a prescription just in passing and she's pushed for more information. The first time I just lied but today she asked was it for antidepressants and I told her it was. Sge went on to question me on why I didn't tell her n that she had suspected (from the time I lied to her). She kept asking why I didn't tell her until I gave her an explanation. Who cares why I didn't tell you? I did it for a reason, it's my business and I want to get on with things without everyone knowing my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I'm on antidepressants and I chose not to tell anyone bar my mum. (Its different here because it's anonymous) it was my choice but twice now I've told a friend that I've to go to the doctor for a prescription just in passing and she's pushed for more information. The first time I just lied but today she asked was it for antidepressants and I told her it was. Sge went on to question me on why I didn't tell her n that she had suspected (from the time I lied to her). She kept asking why I didn't tell her until I gave her an explanation. Who cares why I didn't tell you? I did it for a reason, it's my business and I want to get on with things without everyone knowing my business.

She might just feel guilty that she wasn't able to help you through your hard time. I know I would if I were in that situation.

It's hard to tell people your on them because your always afraid that your feelings about things are no longer validated because your "depressed" but I'd say if your friend is a friend rather than a frenemy She prob just wanted to support you and to make sure you knew you could go to her.

I was on them for about 3 years so everyone knew. The more people I told the more people said oh I'm on them too. I think I know more people that were on them not and for most people it isn't forever

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

I hope you managed to get out of the house. Have you consider a sling or carrier instead of having to carry the buggy up and down the stairs. I've used an ergo baby carrier with my little lady instead of investing in a double buggy. It's been a lifesaver. Any time she's refluxy or upset I can pop her in and she settles almost immediately. She's 8 months now and I carry her on my back now even when I'm cooking dinner. Baby wearing Ireland have loads of info. If you do think of getting a carrier do lots of research there are so many out there and not all types will suit you and baby.

• Advertisement

lmullen wrote: »
    I hope you managed to get out of the house. Have you consider a sling or carrier instead of having to carry the buggy up and down the stairs. I've used an ergo baby carrier with my little lady instead of investing in a double buggy. It's been a lifesaver. Any time she's refluxy or upset I can pop her in and she settles almost immediately. She's 8 months now and I carry her on my back now even when I'm cooking dinner. Baby wearing Ireland have loads of info. If you do think of getting a carrier do lots of research there are so many out there and not all types will suit you and baby.

+1 - I had my car stolen in January, and it was recovered but I only got it back last week (insurance company's issues - another days rant!) I bought a manduca carrier and it saved my sanity, it meant I could hop on a bus with him into town or into the Blanchardstown shopping centre, or just down to my Mams house for coffee. I would recommend seeing a sling consultant or getting to a meet if you can to see what suits you (in my case I had to buy one that looked "manly" for my OH to use :D)

Advertisement