Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

nikpmup wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be only terrible if the internet connection suddenly went down?! *cough-pull-out-the-cable-cough*

I actually just burst out laughing at that!!:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Wouldn't it be only terrible if the internet connection suddenly went down?! *cough-pull-out-the-cable-cough*

Lol I like the way your mind works!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Lol -When my sister was 15/16, and I was 20/21, she used to arrive in with a clatter of her mates whenever my folks were out, and of course they'd be sneaking drink, loud music, smoking etc. The only way to get rid of them was to flip the switch on the fuse box and pretend there was a power cut! I have previous form he he he.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Sick of people making snide remarks...

Had A in a padded suit as it waa lashing and was going to be out for the whole day on Friday. .. it was horrible out as ye remember. Got home n took her out of it (she'd been out of it during the day too as I was in my friends) n my dad took n then said she smelt of sweat. So annoying. . A baby doesn't smell like sweat. N I just said "its either sweat or be too cold"

Then today making bottles, I take everything out of the steriliser n put it on the counter, hsve done since the start.. my mum goes oh you shouldn't be putting them there, it's not sterilised. I said I've been doing it since she was born and there's nothing wrong with her n she said well you shouldn't do it... yet she uses knives from the drawer to scrape th excess food of the spoon from the formula, they're in no way sterilised, yet that's the stuff that's actually going into her body...

Argh just pisses me off

loubian wrote: »
    Sick of people making snide remarks...

Had A in a padded suit as it waa lashing and was going to be out for the whole day on Friday. .. it was horrible out as ye remember. Got home n took her out of it (she'd been out of it during the day too as I was in my friends) n my dad took n then said she smelt of sweat. So annoying. . A baby doesn't smell like sweat. N I just said "its either sweat or be too cold"

Then today making bottles, I take everything out of the steriliser n put it on the counter, hsve done since the start.. my mum goes oh you shouldn't be putting them there, it's not sterilised. I said I've been doing it since she was born and there's nothing wrong with her n she said well you shouldn't do it... yet she uses knives from the drawer to scrape th excess food of the spoon from the formula, they're in no way sterilised, yet that's the stuff that's actually going into her body...

Argh just pisses me off

Everyone's an expert! My sister left her baby son with my mam for an hour once when she had to run to the shop - when she came back, my mam had given him a cherry soother (dunno where she got it) my sister was raging, she's a dental nurse and apparently only wanted him to have orthodontic soothers (I couldn't tell you what the difference is!) my mam also started giving him hungry baby formula on the sly as she decided he wasn't being fed enough! Don't worry, when A has her own kids you get to do the same :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

There was a few days I used the all over suit for J and I dare anyone give out bout it. My dad is more that he's gonna get cold.

As for bottles I do it the same way line them up then fill them. You won't please everyone so just please yourself and A. Can imagine it's tough living with anyone (not just parents) when you have a baby and want your own routine. Some find it hard to see the line between helpful and over stepping and invading your space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

God girls, I'm annoyed reading your posts. I'd be furious if anyone (mother included) gave my child a different formula or soother. It is immensely disrespectful to a mother. I'm sure people disagree with things I do but my son is my responsibility and concern. People really don't realise how out of line they are sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I hate the never ending "helpful suggestions". If I want help, I am the first to ask, if I say what I am doing and do not include the sentence "What do you think?" then obviously, I clearly am not asking and I genuinely don't a monkeys!

We all are doing this our way, there is more than one right way to raise a child!

Loubian, the outside of the bottle is not required to be sterile, to do that you would literally have to be in a sterile environment in a haz-mat suit to feed A! If the counter is given even a spray of dettol, it kills off a lot of the worrisome stuff. Besides we cannot eradicate everything from the environment, how else will they ever develop even a shred of immunity! There was nothing like these sterilizers when we were kids and we are all still here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

If I listened to everything people said (mostly online it must be said) I'd think I was the worst mother in the world. I'd probably never get out of bed! I think we all need to perfect the polite nod and smile and the quick change of subject! :)

I learned over the last few months that the people to listen to are me, my husband and of course, my little boy. Really, as inexperienced as we are, we know him best. My mum is quite good too, she doesn't offer comments or advice. Only if I ask. Thank god!

yellow hen wrote: »
    God girls, I'm annoyed reading your posts. I'd be furious if anyone (mother included) gave my child a different formula or soother. It is immensely disrespectful to a mother. I'm sure people disagree with things I do but my son is my responsibility and concern. People really don't realise how out of line they are sometimes!

To be fair to my mam, she didn't know the difference between cherry soothers and orthodontic either, she just saw a soother in the child's mouth! And as for the formula, it was a genuine effort to help (or so she saw it) Doesn't mean it isn't as annoying as hell though. I sat her down when I was pregnant and GENTLY told her a few of the things I did and didn't want her doing lol! She will be my childminder when I go back to work so I want to stay on the civil, cooperative, working together side ;)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I think the baby blues is too cutesy a name for what happens to us; I haven't stopped crying for days. I've never felt so inadequate and scared. I sent you a pm x
    Nikpmup, you're not alone but please talk to someone or let someone take over and give yourself a break, goes for all the struggling mums.
    I can remember a not so distant time where I'd lie sobbing co sleeping with N while he screamed and wailed. I'd mentally count the painkillers downstairs, I just wanted everything to end. I just didn't want to be me anymore and that scared me. Then the guilt would set in, stupidly I never went to see anyone professionally, I did reach out once or twice but obviously too subtly. It took me a lot longer then it should have to come out of it and actually start enjoying N. he's nearly 14 months now and I feel a million times better.

Ginny wrote: »
    Nikpmup, you're not alone but please talk to someone or let someone take over and give yourself a break, goes for all the struggling mums.
    I can remember a not so distant time where I'd lie sobbing co sleeping with N while he screamed and wailed. I'd mentally count the painkillers downstairs, I just wanted everything to end. I just didn't want to be me anymore and that scared me. Then the guilt would set in, stupidly I never went to see anyone professionally, I did reach out once or twice but obviously too subtly. It took me a lot longer then it should have to come out of it and actually start enjoying N. he's nearly 14 months now and I feel a million times better.

I feel a lot better the last few days TBH. I will keep an eye on it, I've suffered from depression before so I have a fair idea of the symptoms. I'm still scared, still feel like I'm doing everything wrong but I guess that's new motherhood for you :)

I bought H a beautiful mamas and papas starlight swing today. He loves it, sat awake in it for ages. That is until he vomited all over it. I got 2 hours out of it before the cover went in the wash :-/

I bought H a beautiful mamas and papas starlight swing today. He loves it, sat awake in it for ages. That is until he vomited all over it. I got 2 hours out of it before the cover went in the wash :-/

Happened a lot with S's rocker when she first got it.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Happened a lot with S's rocker when she first got it.

That'll teach me to put him in it on full speed with a bellyfull of bainne!

That'll teach me to put him in it on full speed with a bellyfull of bainne!

oooh, not fun!

I'm thinking of getting a rocker, are they worth the money?

I'm thinking of getting a rocker, are they worth the money?

S got hers from her godmother, I wouldn't have paid out (didn't have the money anyway). She has this one

http://smythstoys.static.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/product_images/125547_L.jpg

Often I think they are as happy with the most basic things. I think my lady just likes being able to look around.

If S hadn't been bought an expensive one, I was going to get this http://smythstoys.static.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/product_images/129879_M.jpg I like it.

S got hers from her godmother, I wouldn't have paid out (didn't have the money anyway). She has this one

http://smythstoys.static.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/product_images/125547_L.jpg

Often I think they are as happy with them most basic things. I think my lady just likes being able to look around.

If S hadn't been bought an expensive one, I was going to get this http://smythstoys.static.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/product_images/129879_M.jpg I like it.

Oooh they're rockers, I thought they were swingy things! Yeah A has one of them, she loves it. I just call it her chair, or her bouncer!

Oooh they're rockers, I thought they were swingy things! Yeah A has one of them, she lives it. I just call it her chair, or her bouncer!

you can get the swing thing too, they look lovely, but seem to take up a lot of space.

you can get the swing thing too, they look lovely, but seem to take up a lot of space.

Have to say, the mamas & papas one is fairly small (we have a tiny sitting room!) It's fairly pricey though. smyths have a swing for €79 atm, we were almost going to get it (the size and the light display on the M&P one "swung" it for us ;) )
    http://www.toys.ie/Graco-Sweet-Snuggle-Swing-Benny-and-Bell-!127322-prd.aspx

http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-starlite-swing-once-upon-a-time/470516000/type-i/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I pulled my back picking up my LO today. Again. Been having back issues since I was pregnant! Never had a day of trouble before. ...will it ever get better? Wah!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Rachineire wrote: »
    I pulled my back picking up my LO today. Again. Been having back issues since I was pregnant! Never had a day of trouble before. ...will it ever get better? Wah!!

I did the same yesterday.. stupid pregnancy hormones loosening ligaments 9 months too friggen early.

Soother or no soother? My lad has started to suck his thumb when he's hungry - it might only be for a couple of minutes when he's waiting for his bottle, but I'm worried he'll develop a habit. My OH apparently sucked his thumb for years! Would I be better to give him a soother, which I can take away in a couple of years, or leave him? Thoughts welcome!

My LO just loves his soother. My hubby was also a big thumb sucker so I was worried but imo, you can take a soother away but not their thumbs! So I let him have it, it makes my life easier so I'm not resisting, he's like Maggie Simpson most of the time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

He might not take to the soother! My second would never take a soother no matter what I tried. She's a thumb sucker.

Thumb sucker here. I gave mine a soother to try to avoid the thumb sucking. My pallet was reshaped by my thumb, needed (expensive) ortho years later. I still remember the horrible-tasting stuff my mum used to paint my fingers with to stop me doing it. And making me wear gloves... all sorts. Big soother fan here.

My friend has a 20 year old sister who still sucks her thumb, one if her thumbs is smaller than the other now from 20 years of sucking! I wanted to avoid that at all costs :)

My husband wants to just allow the thumb sucking because he thinks it will mean we will get woken up less at night, with the baby wanting his dummy. So there is that to consider too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Rachineire wrote: »

Snap. Have had awful trouble with my back since early pregnancy. Now it wasn't in amazing shape before preg but definitely got worse.

And when I pull it, it can be from something really simple like twisting a bit, not lifting a small load correctly. 14 months on and the bad back episodes (which have me crippled for 3 days) are getting better and less often.

What I've put it down to was having to redo my manual handling at work and actually applying the lifting technique (I'm sure it's on youtube and the like) but also doing some Pilates.

I've no time to do classes so I got some simple gentle back & abdomen exercises from youtube and DVD and do that every other day. Definitely helps as your stomach muscles (core) is what supports your spine and upper body and those muscles get so stretched and weakened during pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I gave my little one a soother but I wasn't 100% for it. From reading up on the topic soothers are better than thumbs but try to wean off by a year old. I found them great for delaying a feed if I was still prepping it or cooling it down. Use them only at nap time now to help babba fall asleep.

On the 'advice' just say thanks and ignore it. Unfortunately I find myself giving 'advice' to friends with younger babies so trying to stop myself unless requested!

• Advertisement

bp wrote: »
    I gave my little one a soother but I wasn't 100% for it. From reading up on the topic soothers are better than thumbs but try to wean off by a year old.

Off it before adult teeth come down was the advice from my dentist. no dental impact before that. That's about 6 or 7 years old, so should be easily attainable. :)

We had it gone by age 2 anyway.

Advertisement