Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

loubian wrote: »
    Ladies, I'd like your opinion. A's dad has text me begging me to see her. He asked if we could go to his side of the city as he can't afford bus fare. I'm not going to, so I said I could meet him in town. He said ok, to let him know for sure and that the fares are the same. So I calculated the bus fare from my house to his area and from his area to town and it's the same. Am I in the wrong if I text him saying if he can afford bus fare to town, he can afford bus fare out to me? Should I go to blanch for his benefit?

Well your commute is already more difficult than his with baby. He is probably afraid to go out to your incase your dad wrings his neck. I know I would if anyone treated my daughter the way he has treated you! Whatever about not supporting you financially but the least he could do is spend 2 euro to get over to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Maybe go to blanch so it's neutral ground? Then if things are not comfortable for you you can just up and leave instead of having to ask him to leave your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

No loubian I'm sorry but screw that, don't go to him. No one is that broke that they can't hold aside a couple of euro to see their daughter - this should be his PRIORITY, before anything else. No. If he's that mad to see her, he will find a way to work those couple of euro into his budget, or he will get a lift from a friend. This not being able to afford the busfare is absolute bull, just looking to get things on his terms just for the sake of it. You're the one doing everything in the world to meet your little girl's needs, day and night. He should be so grateful to you for that. Let him come to where suits you to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

No loubian I'm sorry but screw that, don't go to him. No one is that broke that they can't hold aside a couple of euro to see their daughter - this should be his PRIORITY, before anything else. No. If he's that mad to see her, he will find a way to work those couple of euro into his budget, or he will get a lift from a friend. This not being able to afford the busfare is absolute bull, just looking to get things on his terms just for the sake of it. You're the one doing everything in the world to meet your little girl's needs, day and night. He should be so grateful to you for that. Let him come to where suits you to visit.

+1, and tell him to maybe have one less pint when he's DJ'ing and partying, that should cover the cost of the fare. (I know a load of DJ's and not one of them do it sober)

nikpmup wrote: »
    +1, and tell him to maybe have one less pint when he's DJ'ing and partying, that should cover the cost of the fare. (I know a load of DJ's and not one of them do it sober)

Hey don't be giving us a bad name! I never dj'd drunk lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'd agree with Chattastrophe here, if the bus fare is the same then tell him no. If he wants to see your daughter badly enough he'll sacrifice whatever he can.

Hey don't be giving us a bad name! I never dj'd drunk lol

:D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Thanks for your replies! The more I think of it, the more I see his lazy excuse. I only told him I might be able to go to town, so I can always say I can't make it in. I don't see why I have to make the effort when he hasn't made an effort for the last 6 weeks!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Must have been the night for no sleep, my lad was crying and giving out in his sleep all night.

I am shattered. Trying to get him to snooze now so I can have breakfast in peace and a quick shower

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Why, why, why can't babies be born with a full set of teeth? S is getting his last pre-molar right now and was in so much pain all night. Worst thing is that he'll probably get his eye-teeth next and everyone says they are the worst. I at least hope we get a break before they start coming. This is his 6th tooth in the last couple of months.:(

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    Why, why, why can't babies be born with a full set of teeth? S is getting his last pre-molar right now and was in so much pain all night. Worst thing is that he'll probably get his eye-teeth next and everyone says they are the worst. I at least hope we get a break before they start coming. This is his 6th tooth in the last couple of months.:(

Ellen is 2 and a half and has been sick on and off since I got home from the hospital (nearly 4 weeks), horrible nappies, horrible cough, high temps etc... thought it was a bug and brought her to doc... no bother on her... up popped her eye teeth last week and she's been grand ever since. :\

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Teething problems here too, crying and angry a lot (not used to it anymore, no1 was angry, Saoirse isn't usually) rash, everything, and the heat isn't helping either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

What can you give a 5 and half week old for teething? I've my 13 month old getting back teeth now.. Oh hell days and I hate the heat...

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

What can you give a 5 and half week old for teething? I've my 13 month old getting back teeth now.. Oh hell days and I hate the heat...

The Teetha granules have from any age on the pack, think the gel is the same, maybe if you put some on your finger and let the baby suck it off rather than pouring straight in, might not handle the granules as well as an older baby, but it will help soothe. I know I would be lost without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Nothing that works, that's for sure! My 11 wk old has her two lowers now, but we are down 4 bottle teats and a dummy because she has chewed completely through them. At least it wasn't my nipple this time! It's a pain when they don't have the coordination to grab something themselves and chew it.

It'll be over faster, keep telling yourself that. :D

Yeah jack started young but was 5 months before they popped... She's not happy and I know nothing is gonna help nothing worked with him..

I give him teedex even though he ain't 2 it's the only thing helps at night so he can sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I use teetha granuales on 2 month old if anything it soothes him a bit. But now that he is 2 months i can give something stronger if needed. 2 year old is also teething. Woke up this morning with the most fowl smelling nappy. OH actually retched. We put her straight into a bread soda batb. Blistered and all poor thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

My little man has been teething for nearly 3 months now, and no sign of a tooth :(

Addison and Saoirse didn't get a tooth until the week before their first birthdays. Ellen was nearly 16 months when she got her first tooth. They all started teething around 4 months. Was torture.

My lad has four coming at once! Three are through, one's just about to pop. Great for me as it's over quicker but the poor lad, his mouth looks all red and sore. One of the ones that cut the other day was all bloody looking, it must have made his gums bleed coming through :( All the advances in medical science, and yet poor babas have to go through this.

• Advertisement

When A wakes up after being put to bed, unless she falls into a deep sleep in my arms, she will NOT go back into the cot. She screams bloody murder and I end up having to come up to bed (and sharing with her) because she needs to sleep. I need my alone time. Argh

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

loubian wrote: »
    When A wakes up after being put to bed, unless she falls into a deep sleep in my arms, she will NOT go back into the cot. She screams bloody murder and I end up having to come up to bed (and sharing with her) because she needs to sleep. I need my alone time. Argh

Snap:(

clare82 wrote: »
    Snap:(

Thank god! I thought I was the only one!

Hey guys got some more stuff going up on adverts this evening if anyone interested here first. Cow thing is stock photo because it's deflated and ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

we are trying to train our 6 month old to go to bed at the same time every night. We have tried to get him to fall asleep in his cot but that has never worked, so we are compromising by putting him in our bed and lying beside him. He never goes asleep easily but some nights are better than others. On a good night he'll be asleep in 20 mins and we can then lift him into his cot, job done.

But on other nights (like tonight), he will fight for over an hour - crying, rolling, head up in the air, bum up in the air - whatever he can do to fight the sleep. Here's where I feel really bad though - on more than one occasion. like tonight, he has gotten sick. I don't understand it, as it's not like we have left him on his own in the room or in his cot, one of us is always there, laying right next to him in the bed, stroking his back or his face and humming to him or ssshhing him quietly to sleep.

It actually sounds like he is physically forcing himself to vomit and I wonder if he has the sense at 6 months to know that when he does get sick, he's taken up out of the bed for a cleaning and whether he now thinks this is his escape route? As soon as he's taken up, he calms down. Or am I stupid for thinking that a 6 month old can put 2 and 2 together like that?

How do we counteract this getting sick? I don't want him to be so upset. What more can we do than lying beside him and not leaving him until he is asleep, like we already do?

Has anyone any experience with this?

we are trying to train our 6 month old to go to bed at the same time every night. We have tried to get him to fall asleep in his cot but that has never worked, so we are compromising by putting him in our bed and lying beside him. He never goes asleep easily but some nights are better than others. On a good night he'll be asleep in 20 mins and we can then lift him into his cot, job done.

But on other nights (like tonight), he will fight for over an hour - crying, rolling, head up in the air, bum up in the air - whatever he can do to fight the sleep. Here's where I feel really bad though - on more than one occasion. like tonight, he has gotten sick. I don't understand it, as it's not like we have left him on his own in the room or in his cot, one of us is always there, laying right next to him in the bed, stroking his back or his face and humming to him or ssshhing him quietly to sleep.

It actually sounds like he is physically forcing himself to vomit and I wonder if he has the sense at 6 months to know that when he does get sick, he's taken up out of the bed for a cleaning and whether he now thinks this is his escape route? As soon as he's taken up, he calms down. Or am I stupid for thinking that a 6 month old can put 2 and 2 together like that?

How do we counteract this getting sick? I don't want him to be so upset. What more can we do than lying beside him and not leaving him until he is asleep, like we already do?

Has anyone any experience with this?

Oh they so know what they are doing lol its not that they are manipulating but they pay attention to what works. Crying being the obvious one. My little girl at 6 months wanted up all the time. If I put her down when she didn't want to be put down she would screech and head butt the floor so she would hurt herself and I'd have to pick her up and console her lol little madam.

This time of the year messes with them anyway. I've always had trouble with bed time mid summer. Beginning and end is grand. My little one is usually like a clock and goes down at 7 but she only went down 20 minutes ago. She was acting up in a big way though. I'd say "are you tired baby?" And she would nod and rub her eyes and give big tired eyes but then start cracking up laughing and escape into her favourite corner at speed. It's hard not to laugh but I have soooo much stuff to do tonight grrrr

And now she's awake again... Little messer is afraid she will miss something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

I don't think he is actually making himself sick Cunning. I know the odd time my boy (almost six months) has a crying fit he does start a cough like gag but I think it's from taking in air too fast.

If he starts to get worked up, pick him up, calm him down and start again. There's no point letting him get worked up as it'll just prolong thewhole thing.

I don't know much about cot sleeping as we co sleep but I'm under the impression that you should keep working at him going to sleep himself in the cot as opposed to transferring while asleep.

What's your bed time routine like? My boy has q big play just before the last feed, has the feed and another play, a bath, into cozy pjs, into bed while I potter about and he has a chat with his Ted, than story, rub the back/cuddle and mostly he's asleep

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    I don't think he is actually making himself sick Cunning. I know the odd time my boy (almost six months) has a crying fit he does start a cough like gag but I think it's from taking in air too fast.

If he starts to get worked up, pick him up, calm him down and start again. There's no point letting him get worked up as it'll just prolong thewhole thing.

I don't know much about cot sleeping as we co sleep but I'm under the impression that you should keep working at him going to sleep himself in the cot as opposed to transferring while asleep.

What's your bed time routine like? My boy has q big play just before the last feed, has the feed and another play, a bath, into cozy pjs, into bed while I potter about and he has a chat with his Ted, than story, rub the back/cuddle and mostly he's asleep

My son did it without crying. He would just gag until he threw up. As he got older he actually started sticking his fingers down his throat to throw up for attention. It got even worse when my daughter was born. I completely stopped reacting. Did the clean up etc but made no fuss at all. He eventually stopped but it is a phase some do go through not just from crying fits.

• Advertisement

My son put fingers down his throat at a year old to make himself gag he never puked and I used to take his fingers out say no and leave him there to think.. He gave up after a week.. Before a year old he did it by accident and think he seen I'd check on him when it happened.. There VERY clever at times.. My 14 month old is weeks away from fully jumping the baby gates he's sussed them out which is scary when its the one on the stairs..

Advertisement