Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Yeah, fair enough. I don't get it though. I can't see why a six month old would need to make themselves sick to get attention.

In cunnings case from what she said, I still would say he's getting sick from getting worked up and yes over time could start to do it on purpose to get out of bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    Yeah, fair enough. I don't get it though. I can't see why a six month old would need to make themselves sick to get attention.

In cunnings case from what she said, I still would say he's getting sick from getting worked up and yes over time could start to do it on purpose to get out of bed.

I don't mean that they make a conscious decision to do it. Some babies cry and some might not but use other ways based on what their natural compulsion is telling them to do. My little one didn't cry unless she was hurt as a baby but she has an unbelievable temper. I couldn't understand how she could have such a temper so young because my son didn't. She started biting around the 6/7 month mark and is still doing it at 13 months. I'm no expert but just from witnessing behaviours I chalk it down to natural human instincts that when she is old enough to understand we can teach that it's not acceptable.

I'm probably not right when I say "looking for attention" more so they have a need that they want addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

A 6 month old is still a very small baby with quite simple needs. They aren't manipulative or clever enough to think I'll get them worried by making myself vomit. They may be capable of that later but not at 6 months. At 6 months they're going through huge developmental changes which affect their sleeping.

I really recommend the no cry sleep solution by Elizabeth Pantley. My daughter was totally incapable of sleeping more than 2 hours at a time up to 11 months old when we finally mustered the energy to tackle it. It took about 4 weeks but it worked and with minimal distress for all of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

loubian wrote: »

I have started using Aveeno Dermexa on my little boy who gets eczema from head to toe. After a day or two I noticed a huge difference in it! I had been using a different Aveeno oatmeal cream but this is amazing. Its about €13 and soooo worth it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Hey girls,

Just wondering about your experiences of lochia?

I'm just over 2 weeks past the big event and over the moon with our little man, it's just the bloomin' lochia that takes away from my good mood!

Find myself worrying about it, for example today after days of becoming lighter and pinker it started up heavier again so I got all panicky and rang the community nurse. Of course as they're dealing with ladies like myself all the time she was very relaxed about it, said all sounded grand and it was only if there was something exceptionally heavy and bright that I needed to worry. Still, I wish the bloody thing would go so I could start enjoying things without worrying about it so I'm sitting here quietly hoping it will disappear again ASAP!

Just wondering how you all got on with lochia and did you find it would randomly come back heavier and then go away again and how long did it take before you got rid of the pesky thing for good?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Yup, mine was the same. It trailed off around 2 weeks and I thought that I was really lucky that it only lasted a fortnight until the phn laughed at me and said " just you wait and see!". Lo and behold, a few days later it came back with it's original vengeance :o The nurse said as long as it wasn't extremely heavy or bright then not to worry. Mine lasted 6 weeks on and off and tbh (not to be crude or anything), it was the smell that bothered me the most :eek:

Yup, mine was the same. It trailed off around 2 weeks and I thought that I was really lucky that it only lasted a fortnight until the phn laughed at me and said " just you wait and see!". Lo and behold, a few days later it came back with it's original vengeance :o The nurse said as long as it wasn't extremely heavy or bright then not to worry. Mine lasted 6 weeks on and off and tbh (not to be crude or anything), it was the smell that bothered me the most :eek:

Aah glad I'm not the only one. I thought after we left hospital I'd be running around and back to myself straight away so not enjoying this bit as I just want to concentrate on the fun baby times!! Studying your blood and trying to work out what shade it is when it's heavier is not my idea of a fun time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

It really varies my first I bled for a week second I bled 3 weeks but at that it was near gone a few times then came back..

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Aah glad I'm not the only one. I thought after we left hospital I'd be running around and back to myself straight away so not enjoying this bit as I just want to concentrate on the fun baby times!! Studying your blood and trying to work out what shade it is when it's heavier is not my idea of a fun time!

If you can, have a quick shower once a day so you can feel fresh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

......aaaaaaaand we're awake :-/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

why, oh why must these babies torture us so .....

the monkey started sleeping 8 hours straight last week - happy mammy.

he has now decided mammy looked far too happy and rested. we are now back to 2-3 hour wake up calls.

Up since 5am with a smiling happy baby, 3.5 hours later, he crying and wrecked but we have to go out so no sleep for either of us :(:(

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

John Mason wrote: »

he has now decided mammy looked far too happy and rested. we are now back to 2-3 hour wake up calls.

Up since 5am with a smiling happy baby, 3.5 hours later, he crying and wrecked but we have to go out so no sleep for either of us :(:(

Emotional leap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Hey girls,

Just wondering about your experiences of lochia?

I'm just over 2 weeks past the big event and over the moon with our little man, it's just the bloomin' lochia that takes away from my good mood!

Find myself worrying about it, for example today after days of becoming lighter and pinker it started up heavier again so I got all panicky and rang the community nurse. Of course as they're dealing with ladies like myself all the time she was very relaxed about it, said all sounded grand and it was only if there was something exceptionally heavy and bright that I needed to worry. Still, I wish the bloody thing would go so I could start enjoying things without worrying about it so I'm sitting here quietly hoping it will disappear again ASAP!

Just wondering how you all got on with lochia and did you find it would randomly come back heavier and then go away again and how long did it take before you got rid of the pesky thing for good?:pac:

I bled heavily for about two weeks and then it lightened off but still bled for total of nearly 6 weeks.
    Don't worry you'll be fine, once it's gradually lightening and not getting heavier or there's no bad odour there's no reason to suspect anything sinister.
    If you're still a bit worried though, see your GP, just to put your mind at rest :)

John Mason wrote: »

Yep!

My lad was a nightmare for the first 12 weeks - cried till 2am, or slept till 2 then was awake till 4, or woke up at 4 for the day. There was no pattern or schedule to his sleeping. Then, at about 13 weeks, he started to sleep through, 8pm-8am. Cue smug mammy telling everyone he was a GREAT sleeper.

It lasted a week and a half.

Now, at 9 months, he mostly sleeps through but he wakes for teething, farting, too warm, too cold, and roars till we get him back to sleep. Last night, it was after 9pm when he finally went down. He woke at 1am for an hour of roaring (tooth #8, I reckon) and a bottle and a dose of calpol later he finally went back.....

...till 6.20am. He and I are a bag of cats today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

S started doing 8-9 hours a night when he was 6 weeks and I was the smuggest mum going. Thought I was the dog's bo****ks at parenting. It lasted 6 weeks and then he became a dreadful sleeper. Tbf, we moved house and my husband was in a bad car accident so he obviously picked up on my stress, so him looking for reassurance overnight was probably inevitable. But I felt so upset, I kept feeling that something had gone wrong and needed to be fixed, which was stressing me out even worse than the broken sleep. In the end I just decided to accept that he wasn't sleeping well and just roll with it. It was good thing too as the stresses of the first half of the year were a doddle compared to the second half and if being available for a cuddle and a feed at night kept S happy and confident during the day while his world turned upside down, it was more than worth it. His sleep is much better these days, and improving bit by bit, so it does pass ......................eventually.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Neyite wrote: »
    Emotional leap?

nope, he came out of leap 2 last week :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My child free holidays are coming to an end. :(
    My wife took the kids to her home country for 5 weeks and we are to be reunited next week when I fly over.
    After 6 months of 4-5hours sleep a night, the joy of 8 plus hours without waking for a feed was bliss.
    Added to that the amount of work I got done in the day without having to look at snails and spiders with my 3 yr old.

I missed them loads but don't tell them that :D

iguana wrote: »
    S started doing 8-9 hours a night when he was 6 weeks and I was the smuggest mum going. Thought I was the dog's bo****ks at parenting. It lasted 6 weeks and then he became a dreadful sleeper. Tbf, we moved house and my husband was in a bad car accident so he obviously picked up on my stress, so him looking for reassurance overnight was probably inevitable. But I felt so upset, I kept feeling that something had gone wrong and needed to be fixed, which was stressing me out even worse than the broken sleep. In the end I just decided to accept that he wasn't sleeping well and just roll with it. It was good thing too as the stresses of the first half of the year were a doddle compared to the second half and if being available for a cuddle and a feed at night kept S happy and confident during the day while his world turned upside down, it was more than worth it. His sleep is much better these days, and improving bit by bit, so it does pass ......................eventually.

Did it just work out itself? My lo was the same - 6 weeks old and sleeping through the night! I don't really know what happened but she wakes several times during the night! Not every night, so I'm being teased with 5+ hours sleep and then it's gone again the next night. I actually feel tireder after a longer sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Did it just work out itself? My lo was the same - 6 weeks old and sleeping through the night! I don't really know what happened but she wakes several times during the night! Not every night, so I'm being teased with 5+ hours sleep and then it's gone again the next night. I actually feel tireder after a longer sleep!

Oh I thought it was just me that felt worse after getting more sleep. I think my body cant relax as im waiting for him to wake. In fairness he is not too bad he is just hungry.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    ....In the end I just decided to accept that he wasn't sleeping well and just roll with it...

^^^This. The stress of wondering if you'll ever get a nights sleep exacerbates the stress of not sleeping! They all eventually settle into a sleep pattern - eventually! I catch up when I can and console myself with the thought that he won't be a baby forever.

Thanks girls...thing is it did get heavier again on and off and more red a couple of times from yesterday but nurse midwife and then doc today all seemed very relaxed about the whole thing and didnt seem concerned...freaking me out though:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Did it just work out itself?

I'd more say it's working itself out, rather than that it has done. He's sleeping in good 5-7 hour chunks almost every night lately. Then settles back to a good sleep after a few minutes. (Hopefully I haven't just cursed myself.) The only thing I changed was to take him for a walk every evening and when we come home I let him play in the bedroom until he lets me know in his own time that he's ready to sleep while I sit up on the bed and read. When he's ready he comes up to me and I feed him to sleep. I think the reason it works is half that he chooses when to sleep and that I stay more relaxed than when I'm stressing that he should be asleep. Us both being more chilled probably helps him sleep better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Thanks girls...thing is it did get heavier again on and off and more red a couple of times from yesterday but nurse midwife and then doc today all seemed very relaxed about the whole thing and didnt seem concerned...freaking me out though:-(

Everyone is different- it was like that for me for nearly 8 weeks. It would be almost non existent for a day or two and then come back in floods. Its 9 months worth of periods....mother nature wouldn't let us off that easy haha

Rachineire wrote: »
    Everyone is different- it was like that for me for nearly 8 weeks. It would be almost non existent for a day or two and then come back in floods. Its 9 months worth of periods....mother nature wouldn't let us off that easy haha

Ah that's good to know, feel better knowing that's the norm for other people too thanks for letting me know!

Would the colour go heavier at some times too and then lighter again?

Ah that's good to know, feel better knowing that's the norm for other people too thanks for letting me know!

Would the colour go heavier at some times too and then lighter again?

Yeah, depends on the heaviness of the flow. Sometimes I had to double up those massive maternity pads! ( I dont miss that haha!!)

Rachineire wrote: »
    Yeah, depends on the heaviness of the flow. Sometimes I had to double up those massive maternity pads! ( I dont miss that haha!!)

Very relieving to hear...so even 2-3 weeks after you had heavier brighter bits?

Very relieving to hear...so even 2-3 weeks after you had heavier brighter bits?

Definitely....sorry to say thats early days for your body after having a baby. Its going to be a while yet before things settle down more. For the time being I would say to expect more of it and lots.of jumbo.pads and moist tiolet paper to feel fresh!

Can your baby be allergic to you? My baby goes absolutely crazy in my arms but with settle and fall asleep instantly in my mams arms :( feel so useless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

My pre baby friends seem to have fallen off the face of the earth, or else seem to assume that I've got the Black Plague. I'm finding myself getting resentful of my oh's social life (a few nights out a month) because none of my friends seem to remember that I used to be someone who went on nights out. The few friends I have seen in daytime lately have all moved away for the summer, it's the ones still here who seem to have forgotten that so am I. I know it's stupid and pointless rant but I'm feeling very lonely and starting to resent my new life for this. I love my baby and wouldn't trade him for the world (though a quieter model at night does sound intriguing) but I wasn't expecting this bit to be so hard.

Advertisement