Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My lad is nearly 16 weeks and not rolling but today saw him chewing toddlers shoe. I have the alphabet foam mats on the floor in the sitting room for tummy time or just kicking around and toddler knows to take off her shoes. So in she comes takes off her shoes and pops up on my lap. I turned around to see him leaning over chewing her shoe. I just laughed and gave him a teething ring. If that was no 1 I probably would have been out washing out her mouth and possibly ringing someone in a panic. Its mad how you change when you have 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Suucee wrote: »
    My lad is nearly 16 weeks and not rolling but today saw him chewing toddlers shoe. I have the alphabet foam mats on the floor in the sitting room for tummy time or just kicking around and toddler knows to take off her shoes. So in she comes takes off her shoes and pops up on my lap. I turned around to see him leaning over chewing her shoe. I just laughed and gave him a teething ring. If that was no 1 I probably would have been out washing out her mouth and possibly ringing someone in a panic. Its mad how you change when you have 2.

I lold at this :D I'd be fairly laid back about it, I reckon that at 6 months a few germs will only make them stronger and seeing as my lad is stuffing everything in sight into his mouth at the moment, if he isn't sick now then he'll never be :) My partner on the other hand is absolutely OBSESSED with dirt and bacteria and germs around the baby. Mind you, when I say obsessed, it's purely a worry thing and hasn't actually spurred him into cleaning up or anything :rolleyes:

I bought a ball pit with 100 plastic balls last week and the first thing he said when he saw them was 'Won't all those balls have to be washed before we put the baby in?' and he looking at me with a big questioning head as if he expected me to run to the kitchen, fill the sink and break out the marigolds :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I washed my ballpit balls in the bath along with a rather filthy child who thought a ball bath was the BEST EVER!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Neyite wrote: »
    I washed my ballpit balls in the bath along with a rather filthy child who thought a ball bath was the BEST EVER!!

I didn't wash jacks as I bought 100 then he received 200 more.. But there's some in our bathroom for bath time.. And the rest are everywhere in the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

My son loves blowing my hot coffee in the morning and lots of dribble go into my coffee but I still drink it :) How disgusting am I? or do other parents do this?!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

My son loves blowing my hot coffee in the morning and lots of dribble go into my coffee but I still drink it :) How disgusting am I? or do other parents do this?!:o

I share my sons porridge in the mornings! same spoon and all! :o

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I ate a cupcake that toddler licked. The way I see it is that we share enough DNA. And to be fair, it was a decobake Oreo one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I need some advice. I know this has been dicussed again and again but i need help with A's bedtime habits. At the moment, i'm trying to establish a bed time routine. I give her a bath, put her cream on, then i bring her upstairs and she has her bottle in my arms while i rock her. She falls asleep mostly to this, but lately (probably because of the bright evenings) she doesn't fall asleep like normal. So i have to keep rocking her until she falls asleep. I then put her in the cot and if she's even a tiny bit still awake, she'll straighten out and cries until she's picked up. I'm also trying to introduce a lovey which does help a bit. But now, she's getting heavier and with the warm weather, i'm finding it hard to rock her to sleep. I'm reading the no cry sleep solution but i'm only half way through and getting impatient. Can anyone give me anything that might help her start to drift off by herself, or even become ok with me putting her in the cot? thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I had a similar problem to you with the whole crying until they were picked up. I don't know how old your baby is but É was around a year when I'd had enough for the night time drama. He was also getting too heavy to be picked up what felt like every few minutes.

I was doing the exact same thing as you, and the only thing I changed was I didn't pick him up when we was put in. I sat beside the cot, stroked his hair, held his hand, rubbed his cheek, whatever worked to comfort him. Now he was not a happy camper for the first few nights of this. But I had to take a stand. I don't agree with the cry it out method so I wasn't leaving him alone. He was just annoyed I wasn't picking him up, but I was right beside him the whole time. Eventually he gave up and went to sleep. I don't know whether it was doing this that worked, or coincidence, but he started sleeping much better. If he started mooching during the night, he would go back asleep himself instead of me having to settle him. Again he was gone a year when I started this, and I am a firm believer in the idea that their development plays a key role in being ready to settle themselves better. É was definitely ready for this he just needed a little push! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

loubian wrote: »
    I need some advice. I know this has been dicussed again and again but i need help with A's bedtime habits. At the moment, i'm trying to establish a bed time routine. I give her a bath, put her cream on, then i bring her upstairs and she has her bottle in my arms while i rock her. She falls asleep mostly to this, but lately (probably because of the bright evenings) she doesn't fall asleep like normal. So i have to keep rocking her until she falls asleep. I then put her in the cot and if she's even a tiny bit still awake, she'll straighten out and cries until she's picked up. I'm also trying to introduce a lovey which does help a bit. But now, she's getting heavier and with the warm weather, i'm finding it hard to rock her to sleep. I'm reading the no cry sleep solution but i'm only half way through and getting impatient. Can anyone give me anything that might help her start to drift off by herself, or even become ok with me putting her in the cot? thanks!

Have you tried a musical mobile?

I had one for mine from about 6 weeks old, they were mesmerised by it. Never had trouble getting them to sleep and when they were older if they woke during the night they'd switch it in themselves and drift back to sleep.

Mine was a fisher price one if think. Cost a small fortune for batteries but was well worth it.

You could also try white noise, very soothing for babies. I downloaded rain sounds and wave sounds on my phone and even now these are great for my three year old!

:)

• Advertisement

When my baby was too big to be rocked, I'd just hold him on my shoulder and sway while sitting on the side of the bed. Still got the rocking motion but stopped the arms aching!

Nead21 wrote: »
    I had a similar problem to you with the whole crying until they were picked up. I don't know how old your baby is but É was around a year when I'd had enough for the night time drama. He was also getting too heavy to be picked up what felt like every few minutes.

I was doing the exact same thing as you, and the only thing I changed was I didn't pick him up when we was put in. I sat beside the cot, stroked his hair, held his hand, rubbed his cheek, whatever worked to comfort him. Now he was not a happy camper for the first few nights of this. But I had to take a stand. I don't agree with the cry it out method so I wasn't leaving him alone. He was just annoyed I wasn't picking him up, but I was right beside him the whole time. Eventually he gave up and went to sleep. I don't know whether it was doing this that worked, or coincidence, but he started sleeping much better. If he started mooching during the night, he would go back asleep himself instead of me having to settle him. Again he was gone a year when I started this, and I am a firm believer in the idea that their development plays a key role in being ready to settle themselves better. É was definitely ready for this he just needed a little push! ;)

My lo is a year next week! Part of me is reluctant to try start that because imafraid it will lead to bad sleeping, but I, like you, just cant do it any more! If your baby wwnt into hysterics, would you pick him up to soorhe him? My lo gets herself into a state sometimes. Also, did you put him on the bed awake, or when you had finished rocking him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

My lo is a year next week! Part of me is reluctant to try start that because imafraid it will lead to bad sleeping, but I, like you, just cant do it any more! If your baby wwnt into hysterics, would you pick him up to soorhe him? My lo gets herself into a state sometimes. Also, did you put him on the bed awake, or when you had finished rocking him?

He did get himself into a state, but there was nothing wrong with him only the fact that he was extremely annoyed about not being picked up. It took a long time to settle him and he was chatting in between giving out. Eventually he gave into the tiredness.

I always feed him in his room in his grobag and then transfer him into the cot. He's usually awake when he's finished and I rock him for a bit and then transfer him. A lot of the time he just gets himself comfortable and nods off, sometimes it takes longer and needs more reassurance but I put that down to teething etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Hey girls gonna ask on this thread for more opinions. Only started reading last night that your first period after baby can be a bit of a whirlwind and just wanted to know what yours was like and when you got it? Just so I know what to expect! I use to get awful period pains as a teenager so am used to some bad ones:-)

Im just over a month pp, lochia now yellow or clear and am breast and bottlefeeding so dont think Im breastfeeding enough to hold it off for too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

My guy is 9 months I got my period back when he was nearly 4 months. They are definitely heavier but pain free funnily enough. I never suffered too bad with them but would have bad cramps for one day. Now I wouldn't even know I had them. Have to wear sanitary towels when I'm expecting it coz I could be caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

I think it's Loubian who's little one suffers badly with eczema. Just saw this cream mentioned by a very grateful mum who had tried everything previously and this worked wonders. http://www.willowcottage.ie/willowcottageonlineshop/prod_3335582-Skin-Rescue-Remedy-100ml.html

lmullen wrote: »
    I think it's Loubian who's little one suffers badly with eczema. Just saw this cream mentioned by a very grateful mum who had tried everything previously and this worked wonders. http://www.willowcottage.ie/willowcottageonlineshop/prod_3335582-Skin-Rescue-Remedy-100ml.html

Oh thanks for that :) it's actually under control at the moment :) we're not giving her dairy and restricting some fruits so hopefully she will grow out of it soon :)

Oh thanks for that :) it's actually under control at the moment :) we're not giving her dairy and restricting some fruits so hopefully she will grow out of it soon :)

Spoke too soon. She had something today that hasn't agreed with her and she's itching again.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

Spoke too soon. She had something today that hasn't agreed with her and she's itching again.

At least you can look at what's different today to prevent her having it in the future!
    I hope she feels better soon!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Wife woke up feeling unwell, baby is 15 days old, mam is now going to be in hospital on an iv til friday!

Time to party :)

• Advertisement

Wife woke up feeling unwell, baby is 15 days old, mam is now going to be in hospital on an iv til friday!

Time to party :)

Hope she feels better soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Hey girls,

Sorry quick question since you're all new mums!

My lochia has been watery and yellow and lessening the past couple of weeks (I'm 7 weeks pp tomorrow) and the last couple of days I started getting a small amount of jelly like discharge that had a slight very brown tinge but so small it was barely noticeable and the yellow was the lightest it's been. Then I just went to the toilet and there was a small amount of thin pure brown discharge on my pad? Could this possibly be my period trying to start up or is this anything I need to be concerned about?

Would appreciate your opinions since you've all gone through it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Hey girls,

Sorry quick question since you're all new mums!

My lochia has been watery and yellow and lessening the past couple of weeks (I'm 7 weeks pp tomorrow) and the last couple of days I started getting a small amount of jelly like discharge that had a slight very brown tinge but so small it was barely noticeable and the yellow was the lightest it's been. Then I just went to the toilet and there was a small amount of thin pure brown discharge on my pad? Could this possibly be my period trying to start up or is this anything I need to be concerned about?

Would appreciate your opinions since you've all gone through it!

I'm afraid I don't remember all that well but I certainly got the brown discharge, like old blood. Go to your go and get checked out even just for peace of mind.

Why do floor boards creak at night when trying to make a swift exit from a baby's room and not at any other time? The slightest thing is waking my otherwise great sleeper the last few nights. Me and husband have been taking turns trying to get her back off so we don't get to sleep ourselves til 2or3am. She's up laughing and chatting making fun of us the whole time! Is this a developmental thing? Did anyone else experience it at 9 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

kandr10 wrote: »
    Why do floor boards creak at night when trying to make a swift exit from a baby's room and not at any other time? The slightest thing is waking my otherwise great sleeper the last few nights. Me and husband have been taking turns trying to get her back off so we don't get to sleep ourselves til 2or3am. She's up laughing and chatting making fun of us the whole time! Is this a developmental thing? Did anyone else experience it at 9 months?

Oh kandr, we are going through similar at the moment :( She is a terrible napper but normally goes down like a dream at night. The last few nights she gets upset and sits/stands up in the cot when we put her to bed and then is all charm personified when one of us goes in. We then have to sit down with her and cuddle her until she goes off. She has also taken to waking a couple of times during the night which she hasn't done since she was about 2-3 months or will occasionally do it when she's sick. She turned 9 months on Thursday. I've read since that there can be a sleep regression at 9 months but I'm wondering is it all the new skills she seems to be learning by the day. Oh and if you go by The Wonder Weeks there is one around now too.

Roesy wrote: »
    Oh kandr, we are going through similar at the moment :( She is a terrible napper but normally goes down like a dream at night. The last few nights she gets upset and sits/stands up in the cot when we put her to bed and then is all charm personified when one of us goes in. We then have to sit down with her and cuddle her until she goes off. She has also taking to waking a couple of times during the night which she hasn't done since she was about 2-3 months or will occasionally do it when she's sick. She turned 9 months on Thursday. I've read since that there can be a sleep regression at 9 months but I'm wondering is it all the new skills she seems to be learning but the day. Oh and if you go by The Wonder Weeks there is one around now too.

You know that's great to hear thanks :) I always think if it's developmental then it's just a case of riding through it. Hopefully it doesn't last long! I feel bad cos I'm demented trying to make her sleep all day so thd husband has been walking with her when she wakes but then he's got work in the mornings and I don't! Ah the joys :)

Roesy wrote: »
    Oh kandr, we are going through similar at the moment :( She is a terrible napper but normally goes down like a dream at night. The last few nights she gets upset and sits/stands up in the cot when we put her to bed and then is all charm personified when one of us goes in. We then have to sit down with her and cuddle her until she goes off. She has also taken to waking a couple of times during the night which she hasn't done since she was about 2-3 months or will occasionally do it when she's sick. She turned 9 months on Thursday. I've read since that there can be a sleep regression at 9 months but I'm wondering is it all the new skills she seems to be learning by the day. Oh and if you go by The Wonder Weeks there is one around now too.

Yeah, I remember actually when my lo was discovering things she wouldn't sleep at all and rivread it's because when they learn a new skill, they want to try it all the time, no matter what time of the day it was!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

check out the wonder weeks app. it will tell what developmental leaps your baby is going there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

My little girl is in leap 4 and son is going into leap 10 it's really helpful all the info in it I think its brilliant worth the 1.50

• Advertisement

Every time A starts teething, she gets bad nappies and awful nappy rash. It comes on all of a sudden too.. Her bum was bleeding this afternoon n it wasn't like that this afternoon. Poor child.

Advertisement