Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Think I might just take her out to sitting room and play of she wakes up. We've been up 3 or 4 hours anyway might as well enjoy it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Why is it that when I have the house to myself that it takes ages to get bubs to sleep and I end up not having an evening to myself. Argh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I read the no cry sleep solution yesterday over a few hours. Starting it today so wish me luck :) this baby is so good and happy I feel bad trying so hard to make her sleep. Putting her down takes so long I have no time for anything. I've run out of my freezer stock of food for her so I'll need to replenish that and try make food for us. Time where are you?? You were supposed to be here hours ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I NEED sleep. baba is nearly 5 months and still going through 4 month sleep regression, either that or its teething. Sunday night was awful . he goes to bed no problem on his own in his own room at 7pm. then has dream feed at 11 ish. then he woke at 2 and didnt go back asleep until 5.30. we had given him calpol at 7 (teething) then gave him teetha, a drink of water, a bottle (which he didnt want) and eventually nurofen. i dont know if it was pain or what.
    monday night was better, didnt wake until 5 (usual time for the soother) but had to go in 3 times until he eventually went back to sleep.
    last night he woke at 9.30, 10.30 (had calpol) had bottle at 11, woke at 4 (gave soother) 4.30 (gave soother) and 5 (gave teetha and soother) then back asleep until 7.30.

We dont know wheather to just persevere (maybe its the regression) or give him something for pain (teething like mad, can see the teeth are very nearly through and constantly dribbling) or try cut out soother (has it alot even during the day) or just bring him in to our bed. He's not hungry as we have tried a few nights with a bottle and only has about 2 oz (he normally drinks 8-9)
    its funny because he can go to sleep no problem him self .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Suucee wrote: »
    I NEED sleep. baba is nearly 5 months and still going through 4 month sleep regression, either that or its teething. Sunday night was awful . he goes to bed no problem on his own in his own room at 7pm. then has dream feed at 11 ish. then he woke at 2 and didnt go back asleep until 5.30. we had given him calpol at 7 (teething) then gave him teetha, a drink of water, a bottle (which he didnt want) and eventually nurofen. i dont know if it was pain or what.
    monday night was better, didnt wake until 5 (usual time for the soother) but had to go in 3 times until he eventually went back to sleep.
    last night he woke at 9.30, 10.30 (had calpol) had bottle at 11, woke at 4 (gave soother) 4.30 (gave soother) and 5 (gave teetha and soother) then back asleep until 7.30.

We dont know wheather to just persevere (maybe its the regression) or give him something for pain (teething like mad, can see the teeth are very nearly through and constantly dribbling) or try cut out soother (has it alot even during the day) or just bring him in to our bed. He's not hungry as we have tried a few nights with a bottle and only has about 2 oz (he normally drinks 8-9)
    its funny because he can go to sleep no problem him self .

If you feel he's experiencing teething pain give him cal pol and nurofen every 2nd dosage. Cal pol for temp (if he has one) and nurofen for pain.
    Administer before bed and he may be comfortable enough to sleep for a good few hours which will be good for him, and for you.

• Advertisement

its actually hard to know for sure. we were blessed with no 1 being a fantastic sleeper . he;s never been as good but just in the past week its got so much worse. i dont want to be dosing him needlessly but i dont want him to be in pain either.
    he went to bed at 7 no problem. think ill get OH to give him something at 11pm when doing dream feed. (ps we also tried cutting out dream feed as he wasnt bothered with morning bottle so thought we could swap them around but he still needs it at 11pm . )
    Im actually that tired im looking at the clock now 8.17 and thinking "is it too early to go to bed?"

its actually hard to know for sure. we were blessed with no 1 being a fantastic sleeper . he;s never been as good but just in the past week its got so much worse. i dont want to be dosing him needlessly but i dont want him to be in pain either.
    he went to bed at 7 no problem. think ill get OH to give him something at 11pm when doing dream feed. (ps we also tried cutting out dream feed as he wasnt bothered with morning bottle so thought we could swap them around but he still needs it at 11pm . )
    Im actually that tired im looking at the clock now 8.17 and thinking "is it too early to go to bed?"

I know what you mean, you don't want to give them meds unless absolutely necessary.

With 2 small children it is NEVER too early to go to bed! :D

Also meant to add, you could try the combo of meds for one night and see if it makes a difference, might give you an idea if it's discomfort and teething fever that's waking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

My lads teething too, and he's got a desperate sore bum. Every time he's done a poo for the last two days he's roared crying :(

Same here, she seems to be getting them one after another. There were a few popping up that I only noticed yesterday. She gets bad nappies n her ezcema flares up so it was a giveaway! Just hope that's the only bad symptoms she gets!

• Advertisement

Noooo. It cant be morning yet.
    He woke at 10.30. Had bottle and nurophen at 11. Then puked (which he never does).
    Popped him back in but puked again. So had to change everything. Then had to go in 3 times with the soother. Was gone 12 by the time he went back asleep.
    Then woke about 3 times between then and 5.30 when we eventually brought him in to our room. He's very blocked up so gave nasal spray and aspirator and teetha.
    Then at 6 gave nurophen. Then bottle about 7. Which he spat up after again Seem grand at the moment but sue in to docs with toddler so might just get them to check him out.

Poor divil has sore throat and ear, no wonder he's miserable. i didnt want to chance antibiotic as toddler is allergic to penicilin and didnt want to take a risk with him just yet at only 5 months. doc was happy with this as he's not very bad so just need to keep topped up with plenty of nurophen and calpol and cuddles. didnt nap great today but went down at 7.15 no problem. fingers crossed for a better night tonight. my body aches from tiredness .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Poor divil has sore throat and ear, no wonder he's miserable. i didnt want to chance antibiotic as toddler is allergic to penicilin and didnt want to take a risk with him just yet at only 5 months. doc was happy with this as he's not very bad so just need to keep topped up with plenty of nurophen and calpol and cuddles. didnt nap great today but went down at 7.15 no problem. fingers crossed for a better night tonight. my body aches from tiredness .

Poor thing, and poor mammy! Get to bed now if you can!

nikpmup wrote: »
    Poor thing, and poor mammy! Get to bed now if you can!

In bed but cant sleep. Have a head ache now too. OH snoring beside me hes been up alot too and been working all day too. Baba sound asleep so need to get some zzzzs quick.

In bed but cant sleep. Have a head ache now too. OH snoring beside me hes been up alot too and been working all day too. Baba sound asleep so need to get some zzzzs quick.

Put the phone away, concentrate on your breathing - inhale for six, hold for two, exhale for right - relax your body from your toes up. Just close your eyes and relax, hopefully sleep will come soon

Ha ha. Ok phone down. Good night (i hope)

So OH fone was on d blink and alarm went off 3 times last night. I actually could have murdered him. Then baba woke at 12.15. Dranks 2 oz and back to sleep but i couldnt get back asleep until after 2. Then he woke at 5.30 . So blocked up . Used nasal spray and aapirator and gave calpol. But no settling him so OH (who had had good sleep) got up and wrapped him up and stood at the back door with him to get the snot flowing (i remember doing this when toddler had croup)
    it helped hom alot and he went back to sleep then but to keep him in some form of routine i woke him at 7.45 for bottle and brekkie and get dressed.
    He waa back asleep by 9.
    I had to drop urine sample to docs and they just rang to say its showing he has an infection so back to them this afternoo n for another look over him and an antibiotic.
    Im actually terrified incase he has a reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Ye poor things :( I would have thrown that phone out the window! Will the Dr give the baby a dose of antibiotic in the surgery and monitor him or how does it work?

Ye poor things :( I would have thrown that phone out the window! Will the Dr give the baby a dose of antibiotic in the surgery and monitor him or how does it work?

I wont know until i go in. probably not. they wouldnt normally would they. although i might ask. My now 2 year old had a reaction to penicillin and came out in an awful rash but it happened overnight. i nearly had heart failure the next morning when i was getting her dressed so thats where the fear is stemming from. she is also allergic to eye drops. (i know completely different but it makes me fear trying anything new)
    she was 9 months when that happened this lil man is only 5 months next week.

So on augmentin. Gave him the first dose straight away and so far seems ok.
    No calpol or nurofen needed all day but plenty of saline spray. He even had a few smiles today.
    Napped great today so hopefully continues tonight. Have olbas oil on a cloth near the cot and a humidifier on. Also just done another shot of saline (didnt use aspirator as didnt want to wake him) and gave him some nurofen.
    Poor divil struggling to suck soother so just keeps spitting it out. And can hear him coughing too.
    The gp going to send urine to the lab and see what comes back. She said we may be reffered to hospital paed but coinsidently im with paed wedensday morning regarding his flat head so gp said thsy would give me a letter depending what comes back.
    Im hoping it will be fine and nothing shows. Im feeling so sorry for him thinking it was sleep regression or something.
    Ive fingers and toes crossed he doesnt have a reaction. Im half afraid to go to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

I feel guilty ranting given I have two healthy happy children, but man I'm sick of feeling exhausted. Every morning I wake up feeling hungover then I realise I've no social life! Lack of that doesn't bother me one bit, but I would just love one morning where I get to wake up naturally and not because of one child or the other.

My 7 month old still wakes during the night which I know can be normal but I actually feel worse when he has slept better as I've been woken out of a deeper sleep! Sounds ridiculous I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

I need plenty of Coffee this morning. My little man (17mths) was up at 2am this morning, put him in beside mammy and daddy and he literally kicked the head of mammy, gave baby 5oz bottle and back to bed, he dozed on an off and was up again at about 4am crying so back into mammy and daddys bed and he eventually fell asleep after head butting me at least 10 times! I've a headache and a stiff neck and hubby has a sore neck. We'd no choice other than to put him in beside us as we live with my parents and i didn't want him keeping them awake! Agggggggg i wish i wasn't in work and was still in bed now!! I also have a bit of a cold which doesn't help!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

Bagheera wrote: »
    I feel guilty ranting given I have two healthy happy children, but man I'm sick of feeling exhausted. Every morning I wake up feeling hungover then I realise I've no social life! Lack of that doesn't bother me one bit, but I would just love one morning where I get to wake up naturally and not because of one child or the other.

My 7 month old still wakes during the night which I know can be normal but I actually feel worse when he has slept better as I've been woken out of a deeper sleep! Sounds ridiculous I know.

It sounds like you need a night or two to yourself.

How I feel during the day is purely dependent on how much sleep I'm getting. I never wake up full of life and energy anymore. I was better when bubs was younger, I never had so much energy but now I'm jaded all the time. Is it just a case of us having to get used to the tiredness for the rest of ours lives, nooooo.

I think I'm going to see if I take some supplements for a boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Sweet Rose wrote: »
    It sounds like you need a night or two to yourself.

How I feel during the day is purely dependent on how much sleep I'm getting. I never wake up full of life and energy anymore. I was better when bubs was younger, I never had so much energy but now I'm jaded all the time. Is it just a case of us having to get used to the tiredness for the rest of ours lives, nooooo.

I think I'm going to see if I take some supplements for a boost.

I'm the same Sweet Rose. The occasional night that the baby sleeps ok I am such a good mood the next day, even if I'm still feeling tired but it's just less tired! I don't think it's for the rest of our lives though. I have friends who have a 10 year old and 7 year old and they say that eventually you get sleep again. I can't wait......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

i hear ya, i'm still so wrecked i've developed a twitch in my eye, and feel like i would faint with exhaustion if only someone let me. just 6 hours uninterrupted sleep would do me, honestly. and the worst bit is that whenever baby sleeps unusually long, either the toddler, or the cat or something else (neighbours having a party, cows going ballistic outside, etc) wakes me up so I still dont get any rest.

very hard not to lose patience with everything. :mad:

My baby is actually a really good sleeper so I can't blame her. I just find I can't fall asleep at night very easily. I think I've developed a bad worrying habit. Some nights when I'm nodding off to sleep, I wake up suddenly from thinking of a scenario where I've dropped the baby or something bad like that. It has happened me quite a bit recently :(. I wish I could wave a magic wand and sleep soundly every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sleeeeeep! I want some! Was just having a nap as baby napped because I was up most of the night, and the goddamned doorbell gets rung ... No, I should say hammered... By some delivery guy looking for someone with an address on the opposite side of the city. Now both of us are grouchy after being woken up from nap after ten minutes.

And another thing, what gob****es start running their JCB at 05:45?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

pwurple wrote: »

Every Wednesday morning at 6am, a huge trundling beeping bin lorry arrives on to collect my next door neighbours bin..... Grrrrr :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

pwurple wrote: »
    Sleeeeeep! I want some! Was just having a nap as baby napped because I was up most of the night, and the goddamned doorbell gets rung ... No, I should say hammered... By some delivery guy looking for someone with an address on the opposite side of the city. Now both of us are grouchy after being woken up from nap after ten minutes.

I just had the same thing here with a delivery man looking for someone at the far side of our town. I wasn't napping but fully kitted out in PJs, no bra, hair in a heap on top of my head!!!:)

• Advertisement

Gee_G wrote: »
    I just had the same thing here with a delivery man looking for someone at the far side of our town. I wasn't napping but fully kitted out in PJs, no bra, hair in a heap on top of my head!!!:)

Lol, I've lost all dignity at this stage. You have to take me as I come. Pre baby, I used to be dolled up all the times. Now, I'm like a walking zombie. I feel like the bags under my eyes are down at my jaw line now. Need some tranquillisers :)

Advertisement