Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Suucee I can totally relate to where you are coming from. I have also wondered why we had p aswell. Sometimes I just feel I am terrible at this job. He fights every nap every day unless we are walking/ in the car. I feel so guilty thinking I have him in the car too much and now he won't go asleep otherwise. But if I don't get out of the house I will definately go mad!!
    As far as sleep deprivation goes some days I just forget about housework etc and sleep when he does. I know you have a toddler though so that prob won't work.
    This is my first so I am probably of no help to you other than to let you know that you are not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Suucee wrote: »
    Speaking of sleep deprivation. How do ye cope. Im at my wits end. Baba keeps waking for 2 hrs every night for past few nights. He slept great for 2 nights and we git our hopes up. Ive a 2 yr old that needs amusing too as shes full of energy. Im just exhausted. I find myself shouting at my 2 yr old for stupid things to the extent it makes her cry .
    On more than one occasion ive wished i never had L. Sounds awful. (I think i even posted this before) bad pregnancy , bad recovery after the birth and just such a hungry baby / bad sleeper.

I get out every day as i and A (2 yr old) would go stir crazy indoors all day.

My mum cant help (medically wouldnt be fit)
    MIL minds all her other grand kids and fosters and any time she has had him she messes uo routine and he's in bad form and sleeps even worse.

I had a bit of melt down this morning so OH rang work to stay at home. But ive just spent the morning crying. Between guilt and tiredness. And a blinder of a head ache.

oh sweetie, i hear ya! babba slept for 6 hours, feed, and another 6 hours for the first time since he was born - in january. but of course that was the night when our toddler (who usually sleeps 6 to 6) decided to kick off big time with a massive tantrum from 11 to 2.:mad: i havent had more than 3 hours sleep in a row since Christmas, and am so knackered it's not funny anymore.

babba teething today, screaming his head off, nothing is working, and i secretly wish i could just walk out and not come back for a few weeks. :o no one to help out at all (would have to fly in my parents, short notice doesnt work, hubbys family not available either). and i too end up losing my patience with the toddler as screaming babba has me stressed out so much. it can only get better tho, thankfully they're only this small for a short period of time!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm so exhausted I just don't know what to do with myself! I just had my toddler toilet trained fully during the day she poked at herself had to being her to doc and she needed an anaesthetic cream it was so sore for her peeing :( now she will only pee or poo in nappy which is aggravating the whole situation! She's not sleeping properly either. 6 month old has had a massive reflux flare from starting solids and that combined with a growth spurt and an awful sore throat for me.... Wrecked!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

It's very comforting to read all these stories too because sometimes you look at other Moms and think.....WOW they have it so together, they look great, have happy smiling children ....... What am I doing wrong?!

I think everyone struggles at some stages and there is huge pressure to never be negative about being a mom because you are so blessed etc

But the truth is sometimes it's hard, sometimes it's HELL and no one seems willing to admit that for fear of feeling guilty or of not being Peggy positive all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

I know. I'm sitting here in work enjoying the peace and quiet!! And I'm contemplating baby number 2!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My fellas first tooth FINALLY cutting has coincided with him learning a new higher pitched and louder than ever squeal :( So when he's not whining or crying from his gums, he's busy showing me how high he can screech. We're super lucky that 95% of the time he is the happiest and easiest baby to mind but when he has his off days, all the housework and everything else goes out the window and I feel like I've done nothing all day except listen to a cranky child. I just have to keep reminding myself that he isn't doing it just to annoy me and that tomorrow will be better :o And taking a breather for myself in the quieter moments and not worry about all of the other stuff I should be doing. Parenting is a LOT more intensive and full on than I ever imagined it would be!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Speaking of sleep deprivation. How do ye cope. Im at my wits end. Baba keeps waking for 2 hrs every night for past few nights. He slept great for 2 nights and we git our hopes up. Ive a 2 yr old that needs amusing too as shes full of energy. Im just exhausted. I find myself shouting at my 2 yr old for stupid things to the extent it makes her cry .
    On more than one occasion ive wished i never had L. Sounds awful. (I think i even posted this before) bad pregnancy , bad recovery after the birth and just such a hungry baby / bad sleeper.

I get out every day as i and A (2 yr old) would go stir crazy indoors all day.

My mum cant help (medically wouldnt be fit)
    MIL minds all her other grand kids and fosters and any time she has had him she messes uo routine and he's in bad form and sleeps even worse.

I had a bit of melt down this morning so OH rang work to stay at home. But ive just spent the morning crying. Between guilt and tiredness. And a blinder of a head ache.

It sounds like you've written my story a couple of weeks ago. The 4 months sleep regression hit at 5 months here and at it's worst I was sleeping on the floor of the babies room who was waking every hour to feed, literally on the floor. This was a combination of wanting to keep baby quiet so she wouldn't wake the toddler who we had just moved to a new room and new bed. And a secondary factor of sleep deprecation making me hate my husband like I never thought possible, it was the lowest point for us all.

The worst night was the night on the floor, no sleep for me at all, hearing my husband snoring and then my toddler screaming as she had fallen out of bed!

It does get better, I never had this with my first but having it all with the second! She still doesn't sleep through the night, but we're almost there. I just had to grin and bear it, I never got to nap when they slept but have it sorted now so they sleep at same time at lunch - cry it out worked for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

O ladies, it sound like a lot of ye are having an awful time of it lately! I'm feeling a little the same but it's not due to lack of sleep. I've been in terrible form lately which I think is due to hormones at an all time low after I decided to cut 4 breastfeeds down to 2. I'm like a psycho at my OH mixed with a blabbering mess when my 2 babies won't stop screaming. It's been a hell of a week. Just feel so so upset at everything :(.

Rentaday, what did you do for the crying it out? My 6 month old will not sleep unless she falls asleep on us first then is transferred to the cot. She will not go to sleep in the cot if she is at all awake before she is put in. We have to rock her or give her boob and then once asleep she will go in fine. But I'm finding it torturous having to do this everytime she need to nap or go to bed. But then I'm rally scared she will wake my 21 month old if she cries!!

I let her cry for 20min today and there was no sign at all of any let up! Then I just felt terrible and went in and gave her the boob and she conked in minutes!

I don't remember having this problem with my son. If just let him cry and he'd eventually go to sleep. He has a great routine now and never cries going to bed. But she just won't stop at all!

Any suggestions?

Sligo1 wrote: »
    O ladies, it sound like a lot of ye are having an awful time of it lately! I'm feeling a little the same but it's not due to lack of sleep. I've been in terrible form lately which I think is due to hormones at an all time low after I decided to cut 4 breastfeeds down to 2. I'm like a psycho at my OH mixed with a blabbering mess when my 2 babies won't stop screaming. It's been a hell of a week. Just feel so so upset at everything :(.

Rentaday, what did you do for the crying it out? My 6 month old will not sleep unless she falls asleep on us first then is transferred to the cot. She will not go to sleep in the cot if she is at all awake before she is put in. We have to rock her or give her boob and then once asleep she will go in fine. But I'm finding it torturous having to do this everytime she need to nap or go to bed. But then I'm rally scared she will wake my 21 month old if she cries!!

I let her cry for 20min today and there was no sign at all of any let up! Then I just felt terrible and went in and gave her the boob and she conked in minutes!

I don't remember having this problem with my son. If just let him cry and he'd eventually go to sleep. He has a great routine now and never cries going to bed. But she just won't stop at all!

Any suggestions?

I did it from 4 months when she used to cry solidly from 7-9 and refuse to feed! I eventually figured she was overtired and needed bed at 7, my first didn't do this :)

So the first night I fed her as normal, put her in cot, read a story, gave her soother and then left. Went back in after five mins, gave her back soother and said good night. It's tough but by night 5 we had no crying and ever since I can put her down for naps or bedtime awake and leave her to it.

Next step is going to be to take the soother off her next week, so I know we'll be back to cry it out afresh but it worked well with my first at the same age

I also discovered that once my toddler is asleep her sisters crying does not wake her so have been using cry it out to get rid of the final night feed at 3. She was never hungry, she wants comfort. Have her doing 7:30 -4:30, comfort feed and then proper feed at 7:30. This week is getting rid of 4:30 feed and then just having proper feed when she wakes fully, well that's my plan!

I did it from 4 months when she used to cry solidly from 7-9 and refuse to feed! I eventually figured she was overtired and needed bed at 7, my first didn't do this :)

So the first night I fed her as normal, put her in cot, read a story, gave her soother and then left. Went back in after five mins, gave her back soother and said good night. It's tough but by night 5 we had no crying and ever since I can put her down for naps or bedtime awake and leave her to it.

Next step is going to be to take the soother off her next week, so I know we'll be back to cry it out afresh but it worked well with my first at the same age

I also discovered that once my toddler is asleep her sisters crying does not wake her so have been using cry it out to get rid of the final night feed at 3. She was never hungry, she wants comfort. Have her doing 7:30 -4:30, comfort feed and then proper feed at 7:30. This week is getting rid of 4:30 feed and then just having proper feed when she wakes fully, well that's my plan!

How long would you let her cry for? I once let her cry 35min then I caved. If I thought she would sleep I would have left her to it. But it's that high pitched blood curdling scream and had no waver or no let up at all! I always give in and go into her and pick her up. For whatever reason with my son I was much tougher... I'd let him cry and he would always sleep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Thanks to all the people who recommended the no cry sleep solution. It's working a treat. Went from no naps during the day and spending 2 hours at night putting the baby down to 2 naps a day and not needing to breastfeed to make her sleep. Thank you ladies. That pantly is an angel in my eyes!!
    Sorry didn't read all the preceding posts about having problems . Hope it gets better for you ladies soon.

How long would you let her cry for? I once let her cry 35min then I caved. If I thought she would sleep I would have left her to it. But it's that high pitched blood curdling scream and had no waver or no let up at all! I always give in and go into her and pick her up. For whatever reason with my son I was much tougher... I'd let him cry and he would always sleep!

We started with: 5 mins x 2, 7 mins x 2, first night it took 25 mins.
    Next night we did 5 mins x 2 and we're going to wait 9 but she fell asleep

Now, when she wakes during the night I've done an hour. Going into her after longer intervals: 5, 10, 15, 15, i can never listen last that long.

Think I jinxed myself, she's awake crying at the mo :( But the she's been like this all day and I think it's her teeth. . . .or at least that's what she wants me to think!

My first slept for ireland from the start, we did use cry it out to stop her falling asleep on the boob. What I wouldn't give for that again, even just for a week

kandr10 wrote: »
    Thanks to all the people who recommended the no cry sleep solution. It's working a treat. Went from no naps during the day and spending 2 hours at night putting the baby down to 2 naps a day and not needing to breastfeed to make her sleep. Thank you ladies. That pantly is an angel in my eyes!!
    Sorry didn't read all the preceding posts about having problems . Hope it gets better for you ladies soon.

What does this entail Kandr? And did it take long? My lo either needs to be rocked or given boob before she will go into cot and its driving me mad. It doesn't take long but id prefer not to do it every time she goes down.

We started with: 5 mins x 2, 7 mins x 2, first night it took 25 mins.
    Next night we did 5 mins x 2 and we're going to wait 9 but she fell asleep

Now, when she wakes during the night I've done an hour. Going into her after longer intervals: 5, 10, 15, 15, i can never listen last that long.

Think I jinxed myself, she's awake crying at the mo :( But the she's been like this all day and I think it's her teeth. . . .or at least that's what she wants me to think!

My first slept for ireland from the start, we did use cry it out to stop her falling asleep on the boob. What I wouldn't give for that again, even just for a week

So when you go in every 5, 10min etc do you just rub her forehead or say lullaby or just let her know you're there?

So when you go in every 5, 10min etc do you just rub her forehead or say lullaby or just let her know you're there?

She has a soother so we give it back, say "goodnight baby" and leave

When her soother goes, we'll rub her face until she settles, say the phrase and then repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Ah thanks for that guys makes me fell better that im not the only one. Had to go to my best friends dad removal this evening and funeral in the morning but got to rest all day while OH looked after them.
    I tried stopping the soother as thought thats why he was waking but that didnt help at all.
    He can go asleep fine himself most of the time its just keeping him asleep. i think he;s having another growth spurt or something.
    OH has told me to sleep in toddlers room on fold out bed and he'd deal with baba but dont think id sleep any better in there but ill let him deal with baba anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

The one thing that helped me more than ANYTHING else (and I'd say a lot of you will roll your eyes at this!) is just accepting that This Is What Babies Do. They sleep badly, but it's not forever. I don't know why, but as soon as I mentally let go of the frustration of dealing with a bad sleeper, it became a lot easier to cope with. He wasn't sleeping any better, but I was able to not get anxious and stressed. Finally, at nearly a year old, he's going down at 8pm after a 2 minute cuddle, rarely wakes, and sleeps till about 6.30/7am.

During the early early days of screaming, colicky, refluxy all-nighters; the four month regression where the only way he'd sleep was in bed in my arms, when he was sick, during his 4.30am is the start of the day phase - the only thing that kept me sane was thinking "it's not forever, it's just a phase". That, and taking any opportunity I could to catch up, naps, early nights, etc. even now, on my days off I get back into bed when I put him down for his morning nap.

Might not be worth anything to anyone, but it certainly helped me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

That's my mantra too nikpump. Anything they do is really only for a short period of time relatively speaking. My son ends up in the bed with us some nights and my OH gets so frustrated but I just say it won't be forever and we will probably miss him when he is in his own bed lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

nikpmup wrote: »
    The one thing that helped me more than ANYTHING else (and I'd say a lot of you will roll your eyes at this!) is just accepting that This Is What Babies Do. They sleep badly, but it's not forever. I don't know why, but as soon as I mentally let go of the frustration of dealing with a bad sleeper, it became a lot easier to cope with. He wasn't sleeping any better, but I was able to not get anxious and stressed. Finally, at nearly a year old, he's going down at 8pm after a 2 minute cuddle, rarely wakes, and sleeps till about 6.30/7am.

During the early early days of screaming, colicky, refluxy all-nighters; the four month regression where the only way he'd sleep was in bed in my arms, when he was sick, during his 4.30am is the start of the day phase - the only thing that kept me sane was thinking "it's not forever, it's just a phase". That, and taking any opportunity I could to catch up, naps, early nights, etc. even now, on my days off I get back into bed when I put him down for his morning nap.

Might not be worth anything to anyone, but it certainly helped me :)

Def agree. My son was horrendous. Only actually got better when he turned 2 but my god I felt like my life had changed when it did. Didn't drop my afternoon nap with him on my days off when he did get better though lol

That's my mantra too nikpump. Anything they do is really only for a short period of time relatively speaking. My son ends up in the bed with us some nights and my OH gets so frustrated but I just say it won't be forever and we will probably miss him when he is in his own bed lol!

So true, my 2 year old has to be asked for cuddles and it's only on her terms! She's happily slept in our bed once since the 7 month old arrived, feels like she is growing up far far too quickly

• Advertisement

She has a soother so we give it back, say "goodnight baby" and leave

When her soother goes, we'll rub her face until she settles, say the phrase and then repeat

Thanks. She's never taken a soother so will try rubbing her face.

I feel bad complaining because she's a grand little sleeper. Has been sleeping 9pm till 6am. And will usually nap for 1-2 hours during the day. It's just the habit of falling asleep in our arms or on my boob I'm trying to break.

Ah thanks for that guys makes me fell better that im not the only one. Had to go to my best friends dad removal this evening and funeral in the morning but got to rest all day while OH looked after them.
    I tried stopping the soother as thought thats why he was waking but that didnt help at all.
    He can go asleep fine himself most of the time its just keeping him asleep. i think he;s having another growth spurt or something.
    OH has told me to sleep in toddlers room on fold out bed and he'd deal with baba but dont think id sleep any better in there but ill let him deal with baba anyway.

Do try and get a good nights sleep suucee and let your OH take are of baba. Lilly had an awful week a couple weeks back. Was up every hour for feeding and I was wrecked feeding her through the night. So maybe it is a wee a spurt as Kook is only a week younger :) x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I have A in a routine - bath, cream, saying night to everyone, lie her in the cot with a bottle and I sing to her. I'll be moving her into her own room next week so I am prepared to have a few unsettled nights (for both of us!!) but I want to start putting her to bed without a bottle and to go asleep by herself ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Thanks. She's never taken a soother so will try rubbing her face.

I feel bad complaining because she's a grand little sleeper. Has been sleeping 9pm till 6am. And will usually nap for 1-2 hours during the day. It's just the habit of falling asleep in our arms or on my boob I'm trying to break.

Sligo I swear we are in exactly the same boat! No soother, needed boob or rocking. The no cry thing is basically just gradually removing the 'bad habit'. So say for example I wanted to stop breastfeeding her to sleep. So she recommends still feeding but as soon as the baby is relaxed and stopped sucking vigorously take the nipple out and cuddle/rock and put the baby in the cot straight away. If they cry pick them up and repeat. Eventually you get to the stage that you can feed the baby, put them down awake and rub their back etc to help them fall off. That's where we are now. It takes about half an hr at night but only 5-10 mins for naps. Hoping to move onto being able to put her down and leave the room but not for a while!

It's a longish process I guess. Think I've been doing it about 6 weeks and I saw results really quickly. To be fair a lot of it is about building stable but flexible routines and recognising first signs if tiredness. I think those aspects are common to most sleep techniques. I suspect reading any book and having some structure to follow would have given us better results than what we had but I'd still recommend it. I blitzed through reading it over a night cos you can skip loads so didn't waste time on reading lol :)

Edit: just to add my mam had her for the day and managed to use the same techniques successfully which was nice :)

Thanks Kandr, I'm defo going to have a read of this. Delighted uve had success with it. Hopefully we will aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

L must of realised i was banjacksed. OH had him asleep when i got homevfrom removak i went to bed about 9.30. OH gave him a bottle at 11pm and he slept until 6.30. OH got uo with him then and i got up about 7 feeling very refreshed.

I think I must have jinxed it by waxing lyrical on here yesterday! Baba was awake half the night. Poor little man has a woeful sore bum, every time he does a poo he cries :( I think it might have been stinging him last night. Any recommendations are welcome: OH brought him into the chemist last week and they sold him some cream by La Roche Posay and some sort of spray that looks like sudocreme, they're useless. Haven't helped at all. Bread soda baths and caldescene cream seem to be helping a bit but he's still red raw.

nikpmup wrote: »
    I think I must have jinxed it by waxing lyrical on here yesterday! Baba was awake half the night. Poor little man has a woeful sore bum, every time he does a poo he cries :( I think it might have been stinging him last night. Any recommendations are welcome: OH brought him into the chemist last week and they sold him some cream by La Roche Posay and some sort of spray that looks like sudocreme, they're useless. Haven't helped at all. Bread soda baths and caldescene cream seem to be helping a bit but he's still red raw.

I've always used a mix of Vaseline and sudocreme. I mix it half and half into large container and I find it excellent. My toddler has horrendous nappy rash at the mo, it's actually been bleeding but have used that since Saturday and it's almost cleared, I hate teething!

I'll give that a bash. The poor little man, it looks so stingy and raw :(

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Weleda cream is amazing,

Also silcocks base, we use this all the time and if i see a bit of red, i use the weleda

Advertisement