Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

for us only bepanthen works, and generous helpings of it. poor little mite :(

think we've just hit maximum separation anxiety, i cannot move more than a meter away from babba without him going into complete meltdown. tried to have a shower, and although he could still see me through the glass shower door, he screamed. stopped as soon as i stepped out of the shower :mad: currently asleep next to me, but every time i try to move to get up (to get the house etc sorted for the morning) he wakes and wails again. geez.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Nikpmup, we've tried a few different creams but for T just plain old Vaseline works a treat. It acts as a barrier so any urine and faeces won't come in contact with his sore bits. With T the redness will usually go after one or 2 days if we use Vaseline at nappy changes. Didnt ever find sudocreme any good for clearing the rash. But what a great idea of mixing the sudocreme and Vaseline! I think sudocreme soothes the soreness so it makes sense to mix the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Will try the vasdeline/sudocreme mix tomorrow. He's gone to bed with at least an inch of caldescene on him! I use bepanthen at every nappy change, up till now it worked fine at preventing the rash. I reckon he has more teeth on the way although I can't yet see/feel anything poking through.

Galah, my lad wails if my OH takes him out of my arms! I work shifts, so he literally doesn't see me for two days - he's in bed when I come home. He gets very clingy with me when I'm home. Very sweet n'all, but 2 mins to have a pee would be nice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

nikpmup wrote: »
    Will try the vasdeline/sudocreme mix tomorrow. He's gone to bed with at least an inch of caldescene on him! I use bepanthen at every nappy change, up till now it worked fine at preventing the rash. I reckon he has more teeth on the way although I can't yet see/feel anything poking through.
    !

I find caldescene made no difference on T. If the mixture doesn't work do try the Vaseline on its own the following night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I always find bread soda baths then sudocream and caldascene worked best for A.

L went to bed at 7. Woke at 8.30 and only just gone back to sleep. OH was at football so ive been trying to sort him. I know its teeth though as the tip is peeking through and cheeks are very red. Gave him nurofen.
    OH gona give him a bottle at 11 so fingers crossed he sleeps.

• Advertisement

Grrr he woke just as i posted that. But OH attempting to settle him.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

nikpmup wrote: »
    I think I must have jinxed it by waxing lyrical on here yesterday! Baba was awake half the night. Poor little man has a woeful sore bum, every time he does a poo he cries :( I think it might have been stinging him last night. Any recommendations are welcome: OH brought him into the chemist last week and they sold him some cream by La Roche Posay and some sort of spray that looks like sudocreme, they're useless. Haven't helped at all. Bread soda baths and caldescene cream seem to be helping a bit but he's still red raw.

Chemists MUST be on commision for that La Roche Posay sh!te. I went in once for Bepanthen, yer wan persuaded me that LRP was waay better with severe nappy rash. €14 lighter and days later the poor child was still as red raw as ever. So I decided I'd use it up as a moisturiser for me instead and sent my partner up to the chemist for sudocream.

In he walks with La Fecking Roche Posay! "the girl in the chemist sez it was way better" sez he. :mad:

Well. The next day, lets just say they dont normally give people money back, but they gave me mine without a quibble. I was icy-nice. And my parting shot was that they shouldnt market it as a nappy cream as it had zero effect, and leaves babies in pain and distress.

I've used Bepanthen, Sudocream, Caldesen spray, and Vasogen. I do think every child is different - with my nephew it was Vasogen, with my lad Sudocream seems to give the quickest relief and results.

Try to let them air their nethers a bit too. I used to leave him to kick away on an old towel with a muslin over his legs to prevent fountains for a half hour a couple of times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

That's very interesting - I wonder was it the same chemist lol? The caldesene seems to be easing it a bit, along with bread soda baths but I'll certainly give all suggestions on here a go if he doesn't improve in a day or two. Poor little man cries every time he poos! I do let him have nappy free time but I'll be upping it. God help my carpets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

Aw your poor baby. Nappy rash looks so sore. I swear by the Bepanthen cream too. It works really quick for my baby. Like literally if I see her bum being red raw, I change her nappy and put on Bepanthen and by the next nappy change, the redness will have disappeared. It's my magic cream and I use it all the time now. I don't use Sudocrem anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Funnily enough I went to our local chemist looking for something for his bath just after he was born - they recommended LRP - it's fine, but definitely not worth the extortionate price! At least they gave me a few samples of LRP stuff for myself too ... I didn't find it great either, though.

For nappy cream, we use Bepanthen, he's rarely needed it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My little girl got horrendous nappy rash blisters, bleeding, welts permanently red when I finished breastfeeding her at about 15 months: after 12 weeks two prescription creams, morhoulin, caldescene powder and spray, sudocrem, bepanthen (which is the absolute worst I think it has never even cleared mild redness here), timodene, weleda, caldease, Vaseline all the combos mentioned above, marigold cream from health shop, egg whites, cornflour (as reccomended by the phn) it was the la Roche posay Cicoplast that cleared it! It's expensive but honestly was so amazing for us I'd have paid more... It mightn't work for everyone but I honestly would reccomend it to anyone. To be honest there was probably more that I tried I spent such a fortune on creams, so the €15 for that wasn't do bad. I find it magic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Our doctor recommended canesten (normally used for thrush!) for severe nappy rash and we swear by it. It's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Hi all. Just a question for all you mammies & daddies!!
    How often would ye be out and about with babs? I find myself out nearly everyday whether it be in the car or walking and not sure if this is good for baby. It's my first so am unsure of just about everything!! I suppose I'm just worried that he will get too used to being in the car etc and when it comes to winter I'll have problems with sleep etc. he'll be 5 months next week

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

I had a winter baby (he is 1 next month aaggh!!) so some days when there was wind and rain howling outside we would have had a cosy day at home but if he was born in the summer I definitely have been out every day. I wouldn't worry too much about the sleep in the winter just enjoy the sunshine when we have it. Plenty of fresh air will do him good.

Thanks I suppose it's more the car in thinking of and if he's getting too used to sleeping with the motion. We live in a little village so even a trip for milk or to the bank involves the car. :(
    Does this mammy guilt ever leave???? :)

I've been told no!! As my GP said when I went to see him after my son was born 'You're a mother now and will be until the day you die!!'. Do you work? Thats another case of mammy guilts right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I'm out in the car or for a walk everyday. I had a winter baby and was a bit careful at the start if it was raining but now I just go out with the raingear on standby.
    I find if my daughter is in the car near nap time she falls asleep and it can be a bit inconvenient As she doesn't sleep as long or as well as she would otherwise so I try not to drive at those times. Not always doable though. Needs must and all that. I'm sure your baby falls asleep in other ways too? I wouldn't worry you gotta get on with your day .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

deh983 wrote: »
    Hi all. Just a question for all you mammies & daddies!!
    How often would ye be out and about with babs? I find myself out nearly everyday whether it be in the car or walking and not sure if this is good for baby. It's my first so am unsure of just about everything!! I suppose I'm just worried that he will get too used to being in the car etc and when it comes to winter I'll have problems with sleep etc. he'll be 5 months next week

I think getting out and about is the best thing for a baby. My baby is 13 months now and I was out walking with the pram with her since she was 5 days old. It perks her and me up no end. Even in winter, we'd just get on the winter woollies and get out. My baby has never been sick, not so much as a sniffle and I think it's because she gets a good dose of fresh air everyday.

Get out of the house as much as you can I say, otherwise you get attacked by the four walls and that's not healthy either.

Thanks for the reassurance!! If we go in the car we generally go around his lunchtime nap though that's what I'm most worried about. But no matter what time I go he falls asleep even if he's just woke up. We go for an evening walk then around 5 and he sleeps then aswell. I'm just feeling guilty that he sometimes only gets one nap in his crib :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Even if you don't work you feel guilty about that too lolademmers :)

Ever since my 2 were born (one summer, one winter) I went out with them as much as possible, for both the bit of fresh air, and the fact that being cooped up inside is not great for the mental health, going to the shop to get milk gives you some little bit of social interaction, very important for the new mammy.

As for the nappy rash discussion, my LO went from 5 weeks to 23 with nappy rash, bleeding and all, I tried everything under the sun, morhulin, caldesene, cornflour baths, breast milk as a cream, everything, turns out all it needed was 3 days of canesten!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Thanks for the reassurance!! If we go in the car we generally go around his lunchtime nap though that's what I'm most worried about. But no matter what time I go he falls asleep even if he's just woke up. We go for an evening walk then around 5 and he sleeps then aswell. I'm just feeling guilty that he sometimes only gets one nap in his crib :(

My lo only naps in the crib in crèche. She sleeps in her buggy during nap time at home. I did it when she was younger and it works. It gives me my break so I'm gonna stick with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I've had my fella out walking with the buggy at least 6 days a week since he was a month old, he's 7 months now and it hasn't caused him any problems. He used to always fall asleep in the buggy when he was a newborn and I was worried like you that it might cause sleep problems down the line but once he became more alert and curious, he stopped falling asleep and now he's usually wide awake, nosing at everything :D We've been blessed that he's very good to go to bed and sleep so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Sure that's be normal enough at 5 months. When he gets a bit older and the naps are more regular you could readjust your routine. Even at that though it's be very restricting if you tried to do all naps at home in the cot. Great that he'll sleep in different places for you. Don't be worrying. Enjoy your walks :)

And walks are good for new mammys waist lines too aswell your mental health!! My son always used to sleep in the car when we went longer than 10/15 minutes anywhere. Noticed lately he is staying awake (11 months old). It's nice we can have a chat (blabber!) as I drive!
    He loves looking out the windows.

Im out every afternoon. sometimes morning too. i have a 2.5 yr old and 5.5mnth old. baba sleep 9-10 at home (too early to be out anyway) then i always make sure im home between 12-2 they both nap at that time so thats my rest time. then im out in the afternoon. he normally sleeps in the sling but could be buggy or car either.

Thanks again. I think I overthink things too much and end up worrying over nothing!! He's great at going down at night and his first nap and I suppose I was worried that he would get too used to the car at lunch and the buggy in the evening and wouldn't go down for me at home whenever we are there.
    Happy mammy happy baby!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Vel wrote: »
    Our doctor recommended canesten (normally used for thrush!) for severe nappy rash and we swear by it. It's brilliant.
    wolfpawnat wrote: »

As for the nappy rash discussion, my LO went from 5 weeks to 23 with nappy rash, bleeding and all, I tried everything under the sun, morhulin, caldesene, cornflour baths, breast milk as a cream, everything, turns out all it needed was 3 days of canesten!

Another vote for Canesten here, it is brilliant for clearing nappy rash!

Worst thing ive done while sleep deprived. had to send off a parcel. was prepping dinner this morning while baba had morning nap and toddler watched tv (i know) so once baba was up and they had a morning snack i decided to head to the PO, due a nap at 12 and this was 11.10 so i decided i better get going.
    Popped bag and parcel in to the car and told toddler to climb in while i got baba in.
    Got to PO and popping on sling for baba ( i rarely use a buggy ) and toddler kept saying "shoes, shoes mammy". I looked in thinking one may have fallen off or something and i hadnt even put them on.
    OMG, she was only in little slipper socks. she never wears shoes at home and i normally put hers on when putting mine on but just slipped my mind. so had to drive home and get shoes as didnt even have a buggy with me .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Jesus Suucee, I thought you were going to say you forgot the toddler!!! :eek::D Don't be hard on yourself, I reckon it must be hard going with two so small!

• Advertisement

Merkin wrote: »
    Jesus Suucee, I thought you were going to say you forgot the toddler!!! :eek::D Don't be hard on yourself, I reckon it must be hard going with two so small!

No chance of leaving her behind. OH still laughing about it. I see the funny side but when i got to PO i was raging. Its close to a shoe shop so i was going to run in and buy shoes but sure couldnt do that either. How was i to get both in. Ugh. I made sure i had shoes on when i left this afternoon.

Advertisement