Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

After recommendations from fellow boardsies and a chat to a pharmacist, I got him some canestan 1%. Gonna start him on it today, if there's no improvement in a few days the pharmacist said it could be bacterial rather than fungal; but if it does improve to keep using it for 7 days after the rash cleared to make sure it's completely treated. I'll keep ye posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

nikpmup wrote: »
    After recommendations from fellow boardsies and a chat to a pharmacist, I got him some canestan 1%. Gonna start him on it today, if there's no improvement in a few days the pharmacist said it could be bacterial rather than fungal; but if it does improve to keep using it for 7 days after the rash cleared to make sure it's completely treated. I'll keep ye posted!

I'm using la Roche Posay cicaplast baume b5 on a teething rash on little ones face and it's amazing! Not sure if it can be used for nappy rash but it's a repair balm and I find it works better than anything else I have tried

Mummy pages says you can use it for nappy rash lol http://www.mummypages.ie/groups/mums-say-product-trials-reviews/la-roche-posay-cicaplast-baume-b5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I've been doing a new role in work that's so stressful and important. I wasn't given a choice or a pay rise and I was given three days training and thrown in the deep end. I had no formal training ever so I don't know why they asked me. But I feel like I'm doing everything wrong and I'm afraid to ask for help. The stuff I work on is confidential so there's only one other person that I can ask and she's ALWAYS very very busy, I hate asking her. I'm just so fed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Suucee wrote: »
    No chance of leaving her behind. OH still laughing about it. I see the funny side but when i got to PO i was raging. Its close to a shoe shop so i was going to run in and buy shoes but sure couldnt do that either. How was i to get both in. Ugh. I made sure i had shoes on when i left this afternoon.

At least you realised she had no shoes on. I took my son out of the car one day and we were walking through a car park to the doctors surgery and this elderly man walked by and said hello with a big smile on his face, almost laughing, i looked down and realised my little boy only had one shoe on!!!
    Another day when he was smaller in the same car park i almost drove off without the buggy only that it caught my eye in the mirror when I took off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

My mum took 21 month old for the afternoon as I'm dosed with a cold. And my 6 month old napped for 2.5 hours. OMG I feel like a new woman!! I don't remember the last time I had an afternoon to myself. I mean I REALLY can't remember! I actually managed to drink a hot cup of tea, get some washing done... And wait for it... Watched 3 consecutive episodes of Home and Away. Absolute BLISS!

• Advertisement

Sligo1 wrote: »
    My mum took 21 month old for the afternoon as I'm dosed with a cold. And my 6 month old napped for 2.5 hours. OMG I feel like a new woman!! I don't remember the last time I had an afternoon to myself. I mean I REALLY can't remember! I actually managed to drink a hot cup of tea, get some washing done... And wait for it... Watched 3 consecutive episodes of Home and Away. Absolute BLISS!

Ah home and away! Woman after my own heart lol poor roo having an awful time lol home and away was always my treat at nap time but my son doesn't nap anymore *crying face*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Ah home and away! Woman after my own heart lol poor roo having an awful time lol home and away was always my treat at nap time but my son doesn't nap anymore *crying face*

Exactly! I always watched it when I just had my son on his naps.. But now he goes down and by the time I get baby down he's awake again. Or she wakes him or he wakes her... Or the stupid neighbour wakes the 2 of them! So basically Id be lucky to get 10min of peace. So still catching up on the last few weeks of home and away. Lol. One more week left to catch up on yet :)

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Exactly! I always watched it when I just had my son on his naps.. But now he goes down and by the time I get baby down he's awake again. Or she wakes him or he wakes her... Or the stupid neighbour wakes the 2 of them! So basically Id be lucky to get 10min of peace. So still catching up on the last few weeks of home and away. Lol. One more week left to catch up on yet :)

Your me last year lol bigger gap but similar situation. My son just turned 2 when I had my daughter. They were always taking turns waking each other at nap time and I remember the day they both napped together for the first time. I sat down with a cherry bakewell and a cup of tea and watched home and away! I literally thought I was in heaven. So much so I felt the need to share with the world and update my Facebook status (it got a lot of likes lol)

I'm using la Roche Posay cicaplast baume b5 on a teething rash on little ones face and it's amazing! Not sure if it can be used for nappy rash but it's a repair balm and I find it works better than anything else I have tried

Mummy pages says you can use it for nappy rash lol http://www.mummypages.ie/groups/mums-say-product-trials-reviews/la-roche-posay-cicaplast-baume-b5

My OH went to the chemist and was sold this; it was useless! €15 we'll never see again. I'll use it on my dry skin in the winter. I've high hopes for the canestan. The pharmacist asked me to describe the rash and immediately said ''that's fungal'' I really hope it works - he wailed when I was changing his nappy for bed this evening :(

My OH went to the chemist and was sold this; it was useless! €15 we'll never see again. I'll use it on my dry skin in the winter. I've high hopes for the canestan. The pharmacist asked me to describe the rash and immediately said ''that's fungal'' I really hope it works - he wailed when I was changing his nappy for bed this evening :(

That's a shame. I'm having great success with it but I suppose the only thing that will work for a fungal rash is anti fungal. Poor little guy :-(

• Advertisement

I never even knew nappy rash could be fungal! I just assumed it was skin irritation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Mine sleep at the same time but i still feel its not long enough. We have an arm chair in babas room for night feeds and today i was struggling to get him go for a nap. Uo and down the stairs every few mins. He's normally fine. Out diwn walk out see you in an hr or 2 but today no such luck.
    So eventually after the 4th time of putting soother in i sat on the chair. Up again soother in , sat back down. Next thing i realise a whole hour has passed. I dosed off on the chair when baba fell asleep. I needed that. Felt good afterwards. I never sleep when they do as i feel i just fall asleep when they wake and i feel awful but today it was good.

I never even knew nappy rash could be fungal! I just assumed it was skin irritation.

I think it starts as skin irritation and then that leads to an environment that fungus thrives and becomes a fungal rash. I've never used canesten on it for either of mine but I always have daktarin in the press if normal nappy cream doesn't work. The daktarin is brilliant if the canesten doesn't work! There is two types one for oral thrush and one for fungal nappy rash. Always have both in stock just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

S has never had nappy rash but he did have a bad case of thrush when he was 6 weeks. I found that all the nappy creams were making it worse as they were keeping him more moist than necessary. It got so bad before I realised what it was, that I was literally terrified his penis might rot off. Something that made my husband crack up when I confessed this fear, because, as he said (through guffaws), if there was even the tiniest possibility that a boy's penis could rot off from nappy rash, we'd all know about it.:rolleyes:

Himself went out last night, so I took the opportunity to go to bed early, which I never do. Was asleep by 10.30, woke briefly at 4am when he came tumbling in but unusually I fell straight back to sleep. Baby didn't wake up until quarter to eight! I feel like I've had an intravenous energy drip! And I have the house shining, three different batch cooks made and in the freezer, 2 loads of laundry done, showered, hair washed, baby back down for his nap, and baby bag packed ready to set off the minute he's awake. I'm currently sitting in the (gleaming) kitchen, drinking a piping hot coffee, eating hot toast, listening to the radio and reading boards completely uninterrupted.

It's amazing what can be achieved on 10 hours kip!

Oh, and the canestan is a-maz-ing. His bum has gone, in a couple of days from being a red raw rash about two and a half inches in diameter around his anus, raised and spotty, and in places oozing, to being two very small pink patches of skin on either bum cheek, and they're dry, smooth and flat. I reckon it'll be gone completely in another few days. Thanks for the recommendations, I never would have thought to ask for it in the chemist otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Never has this thread title been so apt. My son was awake for most the night with a blocked nose. I'm sitting at my desk in work and I can't really remember getting here.....there's not enough coffee in the world! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Nead21 wrote: »
    Never has this thread title been so apt. My son was awake for most the night with a blocked nose. I'm sitting at my desk in work and I can't really remember getting here.....there's not enough coffee in the world! :(

We go through the snottiness at least once every month. At the moment our son is choking on mucus when he lies down. Have used every trick but nothing works. Have resorted to some dozol to help him (and us) sleep better. Was a lost cause in work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

S is nearly 14 months old and she has gotten her first cold, and it's a nasty one, her poor little nose is blocked and she has no idea why, she keeps trying to stick her finger up to try and unblock it. It is the one thing I hate about school, it brings home every sniffle and bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

First tooth cut last night. 2.37 and awake for the 4th time. Add a major mess when he puked from either eating his fingers or crying, whole new bed sheet/ pjs , vest and gro bag. Finally seems to be going back asleep .

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    S is nearly 14 months old and she has gotten her first cold, and it's a nasty one, her poor little nose is blocked and she has no idea why, she keeps trying to stick her finger up to try and unblock it. It is the one thing I hate about school, it brings home every sniffle and bug.

Were the same here. My 3 year old picked it up in school and brought it home to share with the baby. He was in an awful way burning up and very sleepy but she is actually not so bad although nobody is getting much sleep with everyone barking throyght the night!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

having one of those days when everything is annoying me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

loubian wrote: »
    having one of those days when everything is annoying me.

I hate those days. Hopefully tomorrow will be better :)

Me too. I got hit in the face with a bowl of breakfast cereal at 9am. Had to spend the day with a sore, bloody, weetabix filled nose!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Hiccups during the night after the 3am feed keeping baby awake, anyone else have this issue? He's 2 months old and sometimes they can go on for an hour (like right now). Anyone any remedies or the same issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Hiccups during the night after the 3am feed keeping baby awake, anyone else have this issue? He's 2 months old and sometimes they can go on for an hour (like right now). Anyone any remedies or the same issue?

Have you tried, rather than waiting for him to wake up, give him a dreamfeed ... basically pick him up still asleep, light still off if possible, give him the bottle without really waking him, and put him down again ... generally no need to even wind the baby. Most people find they're a lot less likely to get wind or hiccups this way, and it's a good start to getting them sleeping through the night. E.g. if he always wakes at three, start by setting your alarm to feed him at 2/2.30 instead, then gradually move the feed earlier (the plan being that he still wakes at the same time the next morning, and eventually no need for night feed.)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Best tip for hiccups I got was from a nurse who said to give him another few sips of milk. But I was breastfeeding so it easy to latch him back on for 30 seconds. It always worked though, and he was very hiccuppy.

Neyite wrote: »
    Best tip for hiccups I got was from a nurse who said to give him another few sips of milk. But I was breastfeeding so it easy to latch him back on for 30 seconds. It always worked though, and he was very hiccuppy.

My son was a demon for hiccups and I used to always take the bottle off him until they were gone but then I found if I let him drink through them they would go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Really struggling with the lack of sleep this week. Our eight week old goes down at 9pm and wakes at 1am, 3am and 5 am for a feed. I'm bf and to make both our lives easier I usually go to bed at 9 as well. Last night we were with my brother for dinner and didn't leave until 9.30,i was absolutely shattered. I backed the car into a wall, gave us all a horrible fright and then had to pull to the side of the road to feed the baby. Finally got her down at 11 but she still woke for her 1 and 3 feeds. I was wide awake from 3 onwards and spent most of the night crying. It's the second time this week I've been wide awake for hours in the wee small hours, my sleep patterns are just so out of whack and she's had lots of off nights.

She's going through a leap according to the WW app so I'll try and ride it out but its really bloody hard. It also means I can forget about having any kind of social life, no matter how casual, for a long while as she also settles aftrr the boob :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Sounds pretty normal at 8 weeks..every 2 hrs. Ours is 7 months and I or my wife still get up 2 or 3 times...last night it was 12, 3 and then 6 and didn't sleep after. Our 2.5 yr old is all over place, got up at 1 last night to go down stairs and he was fully awake at that time too.

As regards social life...you are joking right? We don't have any after 2.5 yrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Are you expressing at all? That can be a good way to give you a few more hours at night while maybe your partner gives a bottle? Can also be used for cinema escapes and a cheeky night out. Not a social life as such but could give you a break :)

Advertisement