Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Jerrica wrote: »
    Really struggling with the lack of sleep this week. Our eight week old goes down at 9pm and wakes at 1am, 3am and 5 am for a feed. I'm bf and to make both our lives easier I usually go to bed at 9 as well. Last night we were with my brother for dinner and didn't leave until 9.30,i was absolutely shattered. I backed the car into a wall, gave us all a horrible fright and then had to pull to the side of the road to feed the baby. Finally got her down at 11 but she still woke for her 1 and 3 feeds. I was wide awake from 3 onwards and spent most of the night crying. It's the second time this week I've been wide awake for hours in the wee small hours, my sleep patterns are just so out of whack and she's had lots of off nights.

She's going through a leap according to the WW app so I'll try and ride it out but its really bloody hard. It also means I can forget about having any kind of social life, no matter how casual, for a long while as she also settles aftrr the boob :(

:-( that sounds really tough! Would you consider combination feeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

@ Baby0103....I'm aware it's normal, I'm just finding it tough, that's what this thread is for right? And as I'm breastfeeding I'm the one who does all the feeding so I don't get a break at all.

I'm not talking about partying every weekend, but to discover that I got that tired half an hour after my usual nine pm bedtime was a bit of a shock, it means spending any time with friends or family in the evening is out the window.

But thanks for your understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

For sure it's tough but it gets better honest :)
    I used to find if my partner did the nappy change and presented her to me to feed then took her off me to settle her back to sleep it helped a lot. It was only really on the weekends but still.
    Hopefully you get some respite soon one way or another.

kandr10 wrote: »
    Are you expressing at all? That can be a good way to give you a few more hours at night while maybe your partner gives a bottle? Can also be used for cinema escapes and a cheeky night out. Not a social life as such but could give you a break :)

I am, I have a decent enough stash building up in the freezer. Long gone are the tubs of ben and jerrys, now it's 20 odd bags of breast milk :p Her dad normally gives her a bottle before bed, but at night time it's easier for me to give her the boob than warm the milk and all that jazz. She sleeps beside me so I'd be waking up regardless.

Emmadilemma for some reason I'm really resistant to combination feeding :( I think I'd feel huge guilt if I was to introduce a bottle, and if it didn't do anything to help I'd feel worse again. I'm very close to trying a formula feed before bed but I hear lots of conflicting stories about whether it works or not.

I'm aware it's normal, I'm just finding it tough, that's what this thread is for right? And as I'm breastfeeding I'm the one who does all the feeding so I don't get a break at all.

I'm not talking about partying every weekend, but to discover that I got that tired half an hour after my usual nine pm bedtime was a bit of a shock, it means spending any time with friends or family in the evening is out the window.

Don't mind that garbage! I have a near 4 year old and a 16 month old and I have a wee bit of a social life and that's with me working full time and my husband working 60 to 70 hours a week and on his only day off I work *crying face*. Were up at 5.30 every morning to get kids dressed and over to child minder and it's about 10pm before I get a look at my dinner. I couldn't have even imagined being able to manage all that when they were wee babas What I'm saying is the early weeks can be very tough but life will get back on track and you will find that even if baby doesn't get any better at sleeping that you will find ways of coping and getting some rest and even getting the odd night out at the cinema with the girls :-D

• Advertisement

For sure it's tough but it gets better honest :)
    I used to find if my partner did the nappy change and presented her to me to feed then took her off me to settle her back to sleep it helped a lot. It was only really on the weekends but still.
    Hopefully you get some respite soon one way or another.

That's what we do at weekends too! I count down the days until Friday evening when I know my husband will be with us for two full days :o During the week though there's not really much use in us both being up so he stays in the spare room and gets his rest. He got a promotion at work a little while ago and I don't want his work to suffer from lack of sleep.

Hopefully it will get lots better soon, we'll stick it out for a while yet.

Don't mind that garbage! I have a near 4 year old and a 16 month old and I have a wee bit of a social life and that's with me working full time and my husband working 60 to 70 hours a week and on his only day off I work *crying face*. Were up at 5.30 every morning to get kids dressed and over to child minder and it's about 10pm before I get a look at my dinner. I couldn't have even imagined being able to manage all that when they were wee babas What I'm saying is the early weeks can be very tough but life will get back on track and you will find that even if baby doesn't get any better at sleeping that you will find ways of coping and getting some rest and even getting the odd night out at the cinema with the girls :-D

:eek: HOW do you do that??!? Jaysus, I'm a bag of mush after a few bad nights and we're only two months into this!!

No doubt I'll feel much better if I can snatch a nap today. Just need to go and inspect the car and see what the damage is in daylight...

:eek: HOW do you do that??!? Jaysus, I'm a bag of mush after a few bad nights and we're only two months into this!!

No doubt I'll feel much better if I can snatch a nap today. Just need to go and inspect the car and see what the damage is in daylight...

That's nearly 4 years of training lol my son didn't sleep. He would literally wake at 1 and be up for the night when he was a baby. My husband worked nights so I used to sit up all night crying with the baby and then head off to work goggle eyed! It was a terrible first year and a half with him and if I'm being honest I cried for a good portion if it lol it's mad how much easier it gets and how much more efficient you will get and then you go from utter despair to being very proud of what you can achieve. I have no doubt that that will happen for you! /-D but in the meantime you need plenty of love and support from family so let them know :-D ps hope the car isn't too bad :-(

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You are doing really great with the breastfeeding Jerrica, and I know the temptation to cave when you are at the end of your tether to introduce a formula feed. It gets you at your lowest ebb. Its a personal choice. I waited until 3 months before doing it, but it didnt make the baby sleep any sounder or in longer stretches, but for another baby it could have worked a charm. I think seeing how things are after this WW spurt and then deciding about it is a good idea.

All I can say is that this will pass. That was my mantra in the early days, and you'll find in another month or so, the feeds will stretch out and give you more of a break between them. Let yourself have that cry, try to nap where you can, and pat yourself on the back that what you are doing right now is very demanding physically on your body, like a boot camp (boob camp?) but it will get easier. Another few weeks and you will have that social life back, a bit more sleep and you'll feel like you are on top of things again.

That's not to say you'll see the end of those days entirely - I've just been up half the night with a teething toddler and I'm quite frayed this morning. But I know its occasional now and tomorrow he will likely sleep for Ireland and therefore I will too. :)

Thanks Emmadilema, not that I'd wish a year of a non-sleeping baby on anyone but it's quite reassuring to hear other people's experiences, and even moreso that they got through it!! :)

And thank you Neyite, it's very isolating having those bad nights, you feel like you're the only person in the world awake at that awful hour and you'll never sleep or feel sane again!!

Herself has just gone for her morning nap so it's time I joined her...

• Advertisement

Gosh I hope your cars ok . You must've got a bit of a fright with that!
    Emmadilema youre a superstar. That is all :)

Gosh I hope your cars ok . You must've got a bit of a fright with that!
    Emmadilema youre a superstar. That is all :)

I am not! I can moan with the best of them but that's allowed when your a busy mammy I say lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I breast fed only (well mainly) for six weeks but expressed a bottle every day and would bf at eight and go to bed. Hubby would stay up until 11 and give the bottle of expressed milk and I would sleep until 2am for that feed and again at six. This way I always got a solid 4-5 hours sleep.

Also baby wouldn't latch so was given formula in hospital and again the odd night here and there was I was either too tired or comatose!

I know it is hard at the beginning but you sound like you are doing an amazing job. Guilt is part of being a mammy but what I realised Is it there because you love them so much.

Try express a bottle may e for tonight, hand baby over, run a bath and get a nap.

Everyone here is here of you need to rant - we have all had nights up crying

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

@ Baby0103....I'm aware it's normal, I'm just finding it tough, that's what this thread is for right? And as I'm breastfeeding I'm the one who does all the feeding so I don't get a break at all.

it gets better, we are at 20 weeks now and i can stay up until 11pm now :)

but when he was 8 weeks, i was in bed at 830pm every night, i was so tired :)i couldnt even read.

it will better without you realising. One night you will realise "OMG its 10pm and i am still up"

hang in there, and dont feel pressured into giving your baby formula. the more your baby feeds at night the better it is for you, him and your supply

My little one is going through her cleaning phase which is grand after her dinner as she is currently cleaning her own highchair! That's a mammy win!

Wow I can't wait for that phase to begin. Cash in on that and show her the Hoover :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

My little one is going through her cleaning phase which is grand after her dinner as she is currently cleaning her own highchair! That's a mammy win!

wow! I'm going to need my little one to hit that phase! hes in the destruction/climbing everything in sight phase. (also im hitting the terrible twos tantrums and he isn't two until december. :mad: )

Rachineire wrote: »
    wow! I'm going to need my little one to hit that phase! hes in the destruction/climbing everything in sight phase. (also im hitting the terrible twos tantrums and he isn't two until december. :mad: )

I got my son one of those toy Henry hoovers and it actually has very light suction so he can help me Hoover. It's great fun because my Hoover is a hetty lol

I don't mean to alarm you but the threes are worse lol my friend has 3 boys much older than mine so she knew more than me and when my son was 2 she kept saying oh you just wait for the 3's. As much as I didn't her to be right she most definately was :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I actually feel tormented. Everyone told me solids would help S's reflux. I didn't introduce them until 6 months. Everything we introduce causes the same reaction: hours of screaming. She has full body sweats. She's on the max dose of Losec. On top of that I'm waiting on results to see if there's something wrong with her immune system, which means I'm avoiding toddler groups with my 2 year old in case S ends up in hospital again. C is going through the terrible twos... She misses the groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

How long did it take for your little ones to adjust to their own room?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

loubian wrote: »
    How long did it take for your little ones to adjust to their own room?

No adjustment time really but we moved her at 11/12 weeks. I'd imagine it's different when they are older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Went in at six months and we all slept better! My loud sleeper :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I think we moved him when he was around 3-4 months, he noticed no difference! It was the same cot as he'd been in in our room before that, and I don't think he really took any notice of what was outside the cot until he was a bit older!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

cyning wrote: »
    I actually feel tormented. Everyone told me solids would help S's reflux. I didn't introduce them until 6 months. Everything we introduce causes the same reaction: hours of screaming. She has full body sweats. She's on the max dose of Losec. On top of that I'm waiting on results to see if there's something wrong with her immune system, which means I'm avoiding toddler groups with my 2 year old in case S ends up in hospital again. C is going through the terrible twos... She misses the groups.

Poor baby and poor you! How long have you had her on solids and what have you tried? Our LO had silent reflux and we too held off as long as possible before starting solids - good job too as the first 3 weeks were very tough on her little tummy :( She spent every night crying with gas pains and constipation. After the initial 3 weeks she was flying and 4 months on she no longer has reflux. Hope things work out for ye :)

cyning wrote: »

My little one had reflux and she was very petite so I waited until the very last minute to put her on solids too. She was grand on the baby rice so I thought when I wanted to introduce veg and meat etc it might help to go for something very light so instead of the standard mash veg with potato I uses cous cous. She loved it and much easier than cooking potatoes lol I did give her sweet potato but she managed that fine! I stuck to veg as I thought fruit would irritate it so her 5 a day was mainly veg but I sometimes threw a bit of pear in with her veg just to sweeten it a bit and help with her poos lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Emmadilemma that really is a fantastic achievement - don't make little if it cos it's mega!! I had a similar situation for 2 months when my girls were 2 and 6months I was working 20hours, my husband 40 add commute times, no family around and no childcare and we basically were either at work, or on our own with the kids struggling!!

Jerrica - I breast fed / expressed and gave some formula (once or twice a week) for 7 months, I found a soother really helped with my second as she was only waking for comfort and not hunger! Once she had her soother she was happy out! It def cut a feed out - which she never took anyway - just snuggled and a few sips and fell asleep on me - literally! Also we coslept quite a bit at that stage too!

I have a 2&1/2 yr old and a 16 month old and have plenty of a social life - it's all possible once ur organised! And I work full time now! U go out after they are both in bed at 7, don't drink a lot and am home in bed by 11/12 - at 9 months the youngest started sleeping til 7am after we sleep trained her a bit! Worked out great - they both sleep fairly consistently from 8-7 now and then 1.30.3.30pm also.
    It all changes very quickly so don't worry - it's only a short timeframe!
    And for the record breastfeeding was always more convenient for me - I expressed at work from 3 months to ensure it was possible when I was at home - I had loads more time to relax when I wasn't cleaning bottles etc! Plus I loved the cosy time if I had to be away from her earlier in the day! But it's great to use the expressed for himself to give when u need a good nights sleep - I always woke after a few hours needing to pump anyway... That's the downside!! But i usually got more sleep that way for the odd night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Started her at 25.5 weeks so just 6 months and she's on them just 3 weeks now: so far she's had baby rice, porridge, toast, sweet potato, carrot, parsnip, apple, pear, avacado and banana. And rice cakes. I know it will improve but I'm heartbroken from the screams. She's dropped to the 50th percentile too (from the 93rd). Reflux sucks!! I ate my stir fry using a spoon with her on my lap today because she only wanted me: a fork is a luxury some days ;)

dublinlady wrote: »
    Emmadilemma that really is a fantastic achievement - don't make little if it cos it's mega!! I had a similar situation for 2 months when my girls were 2 and 6months I was working 20hours, my husband 40 add commute times, no family around and no childcare and we basically were either at work, or on our own with the kids struggling!!

Jerrica - I breast fed / expressed and gave some formula (once or twice a week) for 7 months, I found a soother really helped with my second as she was only waking for comfort and not hunger! Once she had her soother she was happy out! It def cut a feed out - which she never took anyway - just snuggled and a few sips and fell asleep on me - literally! Also we coslept quite a bit at that stage too!

I have a 2&1/2 yr old and a 16 month old and have plenty of a social life - it's all possible once ur organised! And I work full time now! U go out after they are both in bed at 7, don't drink a lot and am home in bed by 11/12 - at 9 months the youngest started sleeping til 7am after we sleep trained her a bit! Worked out great - they both sleep fairly consistently from 8-7 now and then 1.30.3.30pm also.
    And for the record breastfeeding was always more convenient for me - I expressed at work from 3 months to ensure it was possible when I was at home - I had loads more time to relax when I wasn't cleaning bottles etc! Plus I loved the cosy time if I had to be away from her earlier in the day! But it's great to use the expressed for himself to give when u need a good nights sleep - I always woke after a few hours needing to pump anyway... That's the downside!! But i usually got more sleep that way for the odd night!
    dublinlady wrote: »

Aw thanks a million. The worst part is we are currently in the middle of a building project and living with the mil. My husband is the main builder on our project so once he is finished his 60 to 70 hour week in work he is doing work on the project. Eyes on the prize though lol in 10 years from now we will all be on here asking advice on how to deal with teenage hormones :-p there will always be something in life to deal with and were all very lucky to be able to say it's the children we were blessed with are the ones responsible for that :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wife's been in hospital 5days and I'm home with 2 young kids and now a broken fridge.
    The baby hasn't slept so well at night in 9 months and my other son is going to sleep on his own at night.
    Last night got the kids bathed, house tidy and a pile of ironing done and fell into bed at 1230. Baby woke at 6 with a dirty nappy and is beside me playing with his feet :)

I need her home soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

A's father is accusing me of not loving her because I won't help him. What a tool.

Advertisement