Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Cheers folks, think I'll pick up a couple of soothers today and see how I get on. It's only when he's hungry that he sucks his thumb - I have to say, it is VERY cute! But I do reckon I'm storing up problems if he gets into a thumb sucking habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Cute!! My boy will only take one brand and type of soother so just a heads up you might need to try a few :)

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Cute!! My boy will only take one brand and type of soother so just a heads up you might need to try a few :)

My sister is a dental nurse and she recommends orthodontic ones, I'll get one or two different brands of them and see how I get on. He will suck my little finger furiously if he's hungry so I'm hoping he takes one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I gave my first a dodie. Once he was walking it was confined to the cot and the car. One night, when he was 2 he just decided he was too old for one and chucked it in the bin before bed.

I sucked my thumb until I was 12. It was so hard to stop, what with it being literally within arm's reach at all times!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I gave my little girl a soother from a few weeks old. She was never really attached to it, but did use it for sleeping. At 10 months she just stopped taking it. Sometimes I wished she held onto it a bit longer as it was a surefire way of settling her, but now when I see toddlers her age using them I'm glad she gave it up herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I started the soother from nearly day 1 hubby sucked his and needed braces big time. You can take the soother away but you can't there thumb. Then when they are of a certain age tell them they got to leave there soother out for Santy so they get presents. Really works

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I actually forced a soother on my little fella, well first day he was born the doctor on his rounds said to me did you bring a soother, i had one in the bag(sure i had everything just in case like) and so I gave it to him, he said we recommend soothers, great job, look he loves it etc etc, well he didnt love it, he rarely ever took it, but I kept giving it to him and 14 months later he is obsessed with it, it's dodie dodie dodie, it's a god send at times though, i have always given him the ortho ones and keep changing them though, luckily he doesnt have a favourtie dodie, just in case it gets lost. So yes guess i am a fan of the dodie, just be aware you may end up having to do "dodie runs" in the middle of the night when he can't find it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

If it wasn't for the fecking drive runs my boy would sleep through the night. He no longer needs a feed during the night (as long as he gets a dream feed at 11pm) but I'm up 5/6 times a night shoving the dummy back in his mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

nikpmup wrote: »
    Cheers folks, think I'll pick up a couple of soothers today and see how I get on. It's only when he's hungry that he sucks his thumb - I have to say, it is VERY cute! But I do reckon I'm storing up problems if he gets into a thumb sucking habit.

Such a gorgeous baby! I tried for about two months to get my little guy to take a soother. Tried so many different ones he wasn't a bit interested so i just gave up. Now at five months he has just started sucking his thumb when he is really tired. I never really thought of down the road! I just thought it was really cute... Hope your little guy is more successful with the soother!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I sucked my thumb until about 13 . My teeth are ridiculous. And i found it very hard to give up.
    We gave our daughter one at 2 days old but she still kept putting her thumb in. At about 4 or 5 months she was sucking her thumb more than soother. We bought loads of different types but no joy . Even tried the 6 months plus .
    We just gave up and let her off with her thumb. She does have a "raggy" . When she gets her raggy she sucks her thumb. She rarely sucks it without raggy so we just keep that out of sight during the day .
    The only advantage though is we never really had to do the night time dodie runs as she just popped the thumb in. Now at 18 months and in her "big" bed she loses her raggy alot so we have started giving her 2 going to bed.
    No 2 is going to have a dodie. Will be in the hospital bag ready to go.
    I dont know if we have much of a choice. I see my sil with her 5 month old and she is the same as my daughter spitting out dodie and finding her thumb but my sil is continueing with it for now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Babies up countless times in the night, so tired today. Then I burn my hand making their bottles earlier. It hurts :( I've a deadline to finish an application form by Thursday with a dodgy hand...argh...stress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Today has been the worst day. I have a horrible cold with aches, pains the lot. My balcance seems off so managed yo walk into the coffee table and yhen ehack my shins of the oven door... queue 3 ugly bruises to my already grim looking legs :(
    The little man had a cold too and is teething (which he has been for months :(). Today he's had 6 dirty nappies... 3 of which were just pure diarrhoea. Did your little ones get diarrhoea before cutting first teeth or does it sound like the end of his cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

yellow hen wrote: »
    Today has been the worst day. I have a horrible cold with aches, pains the lot. My balcance seems off so managed yo walk into the coffee table and yhen ehack my shins of the oven door... queue 3 ugly bruises to my already grim looking legs :(
    The little man had a cold too and is teething (which he has been for months :(). Today he's had 6 dirty nappies... 3 of which were just pure diarrhoea. Did your little ones get diarrhoea before cutting first teeth or does it sound like the end of his cold?

Looks like the cold is affecting your typing also :-)
    My now 18 month old gets bad nappys with every tooth. Today has had about 4 or 5 and now has a fairly sore bum.
    If he develops a sore bum a bit of bread soda i the bath works wonders.
    I then use sudo cream and caldascene powder but the bread soda bath is great.
    She is now cutting tooth no 15 and 16 .
    Ugh and the smell of the nappies. Jeez

Ha succee, I am actually the worst typist on an iPhone... Can't manage it at all!
    God I really hope he is cutting his teeth... He's 8 months and still nothing but he's been teething for over 4 months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

YH my LO is cutting her teeth, they are about half way up but I really wish they were fully up, it seems to be taking forever. Poor thing is in a complete heap. Nappies are dreadful, not quite diarrhoea but they stink to high heaven cheeks are red and cracked and she is so unsettled.

Can you feel anything on his gums? One day L seemed to be drooling like mad and low and behold I could feel the sharp edge of a tooth, bottom left.

Digs wrote: »
    YH my LO is cutting her teeth, they are about half way up but I really wish they were fully up, it seems to be taking forever. Poor thing is in a complete heap. Nappies are dreadful, not quite diarrhoea but they stink to high heaven cheeks are red and cracked and she is so unsettled.

Can you feel anything on his gums? One day L seemed to be drooling like mad and low and behold I could feel the sharp edge of a tooth, bottom left.

I had a root on his lower front gum today and there's defo nothing there. I can't get a proper look as he won't let me. I hope it's teeth as I'd be worried about those nappies otherwise. My little fella struggles with constipation so today was completely out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Sorry I'm not much help to you :( Ls nappies would usually be soft(ish!!) it's the smell and the frequency that's changed for us.

Maybe if it's completely out of the ordinary he might need a trip to the doc if no improvement tomorrow? I know there is varying opinion on teething causing diarrhoea. Take it he's not running a temp or anything?

No temp digs but if he's the same tomorrow I'll go to the docs. Just hoping for a nights sleep tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My 2 1/2 year old has started spitting at people! wtf! It's disgusting. Not sure if my disgusted reaction is making it worse as well, she thinks it's hilarious.

On the sore bum teeth thing... I think myself that it's just easier for them to pick up bugs when their gums are broken and everything is going into the mouth for a chew. All sorts of bugs can get in easier through that route. It's an impossible task when you are out, but in the house I tried to keep everything she was mouthing super hygienic during that time. I washed her hands every hour or so, washed the floors with dettol solution at night. I convinced myself it worked for the first 8 teeth, but as soon as she went to creche that went out the window obviously. Can't be expecting them to disinfect all the children constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Any attention is good attention to a 2 year old! Ignore it completely and she should get bored of it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

pwurple wrote: »
    Can't be expecting them to disinfect all the children constantly.

I now have an image of a sheep-dip type of pond for toddlers inside the door of all creches.biggrin.png This could be my Dragons Den moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

yellow hen wrote: »

And that's the end of my oxtail soup...:D

Lots of diarrhoea (sp?) when the first set of molars were coming up. His poo's didn't smell for some reason so I couldn't always tell when he had one. One night he did diarrhoea into a fresh nappy right before bed and I hadn't realised, he slept in it all night and his arse was raw for days. Had to leave him out of nappy each day for a spell to air it, lots of bepanthen, baths etc. Poor thing was howling at nappy changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

pwurple wrote: »
    My 2 1/2 year old has started spitting at people! wtf! It's disgusting. Not sure if my disgusted reaction is making it worse as well, she thinks it's hilarious.

E went through a phase of doing that too. Each time she spat/looked like she was going to I brought her to the bathroom and got her to spit in the sink. I found it worked beacuse she already had the association of spitting out her toothpaste into the sink so it was building on that.

Generally speaking, rather than the 'no *insert behaviour here* ' approach, we try to say *this behaviour* is appropriate in X situation, and as much as possible do it there and then. Hoping to avoid the attraction of banned behaviour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Saoirse had a poo on the stairs today :( Poor child couldn't hold it any longer. Fun times :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

+1 on the back problems :(

Non motherhood related though, there's an oul fella on the bus coughing his lungs up. It's disgusting!

So, I got him some soothers, he doesn't really know what to do with them but I'm going to persist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

loubian wrote: »
    +1 on the back problems :(

Non motherhood related though, there's an oul fella on the bus coughing his lungs up. It's disgusting!

A week after S was born, we went to the local Dunnes, the OH was waiting with the kids while I was in the bathroom. An old woman came over next to them, sneezed all over them, and walked off again. For no bloody reason!!! Could have landed S in hospital with her tiny immune system!!!

My rant is my daughter seems to think my boobs are chew toys! Seriously, she is gnawing on them!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

While hubby's away the mice can play... Literally. One of the teenagers walked into the kitchen two nights ago to see a mouse run behind the fridge. So I spent all day yesterday (when not breastfeeding) cleaning the kitchen and disinfecting all shelves and counters. Bought takeaway cos I didn't get it all done and still refused to eat in the kitchen. We had the traps down only a few hours and we had a snap.

Mouse down!

I've still kept a few traps placed out - out of reach of little hands - but hopefully it's taken care of. Though the man who sold the traps said people had been in all week - the weather was bringing the mice in. Just a warning.

So I was knackered last night and baby A didn't sleep till 11:30. I didn't even hear the toddler this morning. Luckily I'd already asked the oldest boy to get up with her for the first hour or two. He's in college so he's in no rush this morning.

Plus one on the bruised legs. I walked right into my MILs coffee table the other day and my leg is black and blue...

And I think I was having nightmares last night. I know I woke at about 1am feeling like I'd been having bad dreams...

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

And the reason I didn't hear her at her usual 6;30 was... Well I don't know. She might have been awake. Maybe she didn't wake cos the shower didn't go - because the second teenager didn't hear his alarm... So we've all just been asleep? That's odd... She's up now definitely.

I'm a bad mother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Nicowa, I have hired an employee specifically for mouse control. Only thing is he is a lazy fécker of a cat!

Little miss decided to stay awake half the night, and the next door neighbour is seemingly dying with a flu by the coughing from the apartment. So little sleep for me :( Ah well, onward and upward. Found some great stuff on adverts.ie for S so I am happy with that.

Advertisement