Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Wife's been in hospital 5days and I'm home with 2 young kids and now a broken fridge.
    The baby hasn't slept so well at night in 9 months and my other son is going to sleep on his own at night.
    Last night got the kids bathed, house tidy and a pile of ironing done and fell into bed at 1230. Baby woke at 6 with a dirty nappy and is beside me playing with his feet :)

I need her home soon.

When she comes home do you think you could pop round to mine and do my pile of ironing? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

loubian wrote: »
    A's father is accusing me of not loving her because I won't help him. What a tool.

Eejit!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

bp wrote: »
    Eejit!!!

I wish I could thank this more than once bp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

What a friggin day. Little man woke up at 6.15am screaming. I'd had 4 hours kip, and had run out of coffee. Was counting the minutes until he went down for his nap. He was whingy, clingy and just wouldn't settle. Wouldn't eat breakfast, didn't want to be down, diodn't want to be up. Finally went down at 9.45 - for 20 minutes, then woke up screeching and crying and wouldn't settle. I actually burst into tears.
    After lunch the three of us headed out to Dun Laoghaire for a stroll. He was in grand form, happy out watching the world go by, and got a taste of my ice cream :) As we were leaving, I wondered aloud if we should stop for a coffee and feed him his dinner but decided against it. Hit the M50, and got stuck in a 45 minute tailback behind an accident. Little man screamed the whole time. It took us an hour and a half to get home.
    Gave him his bottle tonight and he was shattered. I was tickling him and he just gawped up at me and gave me one of those sleepy giggles. All forgiven. Asleep in seconds (after crying getting his teeth brushed!)
    Tomorrow's another day.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i feel your pain, spent the day in Powerscourt, dropped my mam home, and hit the M50 took me an hour to get from J13 to J14. It took me over an hour and half from Bray to Finglas.

L started crying, which turned into screaming. He was crying so much he was making himself sick.

I had to keep jumping out of the car to clean him up and make sure he wasnt choking.

I was crying, he was crying, it was a complete mess but at least we made it home safe unlike the people in the crash.

this is the second time this has happened to us, the next time that signs says there is an accident at J13, I will be coming off at J12 and going back to Bray.

• Advertisement

True that - apparently a car had flipped in the far right lane. He had a three hour nap this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Sounds tough nikpump hope you took full advantage of that nap this morning. My guy had a couple of three hour naps over the weekend. Was actually getting worried one day haha. Maybe a growth spurt or something.

I did indeed, lolademmers, took to the bed with him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

nikpmup and John Mason my heart goes out to you both. I've only had a couple of nasty M50 traffic experiences with H in the car, and they weren't pretty. It's a special kind of mummy torture to listen to your baby screaming like that and be powerless to do anything about it.

H had another difficult day, we've both just stopped crying and she's conked out. Going to get her tongue tie snipped tomorrow, I'm dubious about whether it'll help her extend her feeds, but fingers crossed it will. We've three more days left of leap 2, maybe that'll show an improvement too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Jerrica wrote: »
    nikpmup and John Mason my heart goes out to you both. I've only had a couple of nasty M50 traffic experiences with H in the car, and they weren't pretty. It's a special kind of mummy torture to listen to your baby screaming like that and be powerless to do anything about it.

H had another difficult day, we've both just stopped crying and she's conked out. Going to get her tongue tie snipped tomorrow, I'm dubious about whether it'll help her extend her feeds, but fingers crossed it will. We've three more days left of leap 2, maybe that'll show an improvement too.

It should help, it did in anyone I know who had it done and it did here. Honestly it really did help. Fingers crossed for tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I'm new to these newborn threads so may be off topic here... My boy is a month old, I live abroad. My mum has been here for the last 2 weeks and my dad and brother arrived on Wednesday. I started getting a sore throat yesterday morning. I find out at dinner last night that my dad had a sore throat after arriving here, now mum and brother have it since yesterday too. These things happen, but I'm pretty bloody pissed off that they've been arounf the baby every day and no one thought to mention the sore throat! I didn't say anything last night about it. They leave tomorrow. They know that i want any illnesses to be kept away from him as we had talked about other possible issues with them. Should I bother saying anything? I think they, or at least my dad, knowingly exposed me and baby to this. My throat is worse now and in worried about poor bubs. I don't want to spoil their last day here, but seriously who handles a new born baby when they're sicck?! my dad is a bit of a selfish idiot so in one way I'm not surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I'm new to these newborn threads so may be off topic here... My boy is a month old, I live abroad. My mum has been here for the last 2 weeks and my dad and brother arrived on Wednesday. I started getting a sore throat yesterday morning. I find out at dinner last night that my dad had a sore throat after arriving here, now mum and brother have it since yesterday too. These things happen, but I'm pretty bloody pissed off that they've been arounf the baby every day and no one thought to mention the sore throat! I didn't say anything last night about it. They leave tomorrow. They know that i want any illnesses to be kept away from him as we had talked about other possible issues with them. Should I bother saying anything? I think they, or at least my dad, knowingly exposed me and baby to this. My throat is worse now and in worried about poor bubs. I don't wasn't to spoil their last day, but seriously who handles a new born baby when they're sick?!

Honestly I'd say nothing. Any potential damage is done now, so it wouldn't really achieve anything.

In fairness if I lived abroad and my family were only going to occasionally see myself and the baby, and they'd made the effort of getting flights over etc, I wouldn't ask them to stay away for the sake of avoiding a sore throat. And unless yourself or the baby have any problems with your immune systems, it's not really a big deal anyways, is it?

Honestly I'd say nothing. Any potential damage is done now, so it wouldn't really achieve anything.

In fairness if I lived abroad and my family were only going to occasionally see myself and the baby, and they'd made the effort of getting flights over etc, I wouldn't ask them to stay away for the sake of avoiding a sore throat. And unless yourself or the baby have any problems with your immune systems, it's not really a big deal anyways, is it?

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I do feel bad saying anything as they came all this way, that's why I didn't say anything at dinner.
    I didn't mean that they stay away altogether, just that they don't handle the baby when sick and take extra care washing hands and with cups etc. I don't see any point in restricting them now on their last day, as it's likely he has it or at least will get it from me now. But I feel like it was a stupid thing to happen and I should stand up for my son.

I am very prone to throat infections, i can get it really badly and can end up in bed barely able to breathe, it's like my achilles heel. I hope my son is not like me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

why is it so hard to get both boys down for a nap at the same time?...:mad: they keep egging each other on, one starts messing, the other joins in, both are wrecked but neither is sleeping. i want a break, and peace and quiet, too :(

In the light of day, I'm not so pissed off about the sore throats. Guess I needed to vent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

In the light of day, I'm not so pissed off about the sore throats. Guess I needed to vent!

There are a lot of parenting problems that can feel a lot worse in the wee small hours of the morning :D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

There's an old wives theory that a baby is immune to coughts and colds and those type of illnesses in the first 3 months as they still have the immunity from being inside. So while you might feel crap altogether, baby is unlikely to get the sore throat.

My partner had man flu when my little one was 2 months and wouldn't touch him for 2 days until his mother mentioned the immunity. Baby was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Neyite wrote: »
    There's an old wives theory that a baby is immune to coughts and colds and those type of illnesses in the first 3 months as they still have the immunity from being inside. So while you might feel crap altogether, baby is unlikely to get the sore throat.

My partner had man flu when my little one was 2 months and wouldn't touch him for 2 days until his mother mentioned the immunity. Baby was fine.

Yep and your breastfeeding too so baby should still be getting your antibodies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Does anyone remember, around the 14 month mark being absolutely exhausted yourself? I'm so wrecked the last few weeks - so drowsy at work n gonna have to get vitamins so I can stay awake after

Fell asleep writing this post! Meant to say so I can stay awake after 10.30!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

loubian wrote: »
    Does anyone remember, around the 14 month mark being absolutely exhausted yourself? I'm so wrecked the last few weeks - so drowsy at work n gonna have to get vitamins so I can stay awake after
    Oh god yes! My bubs is almost 17 months and some days I'm on auto pilot. I've found myself not being able to finish sentences because I can't remember the word I want to use. That's happened quite a few times.

I'm going to start taking floradix again. I took it from 5-9 months and found it fantastic.

At the moment we're being woken 2-3 times a night. It's all teething related but she's not the best sleeper anyway.

• Advertisement

Oh god yes! My bubs is almost 17 months and some days I'm on auto pilot. I've found myself not being able to finish sentences because I can't remember the word I want to use. That's happened quite a few times.

I'm going to start taking floradix again. I took it from 5-9 months and found it fantastic.

At the moment we're being woken 2-3 times a night. It's all teething related but she's not the best sleeper anyway.

I thought it was just me - I'm forgetting everything now - keys, words, tasks, things in work! I'm getting slagged over it which makes me feel worse about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I think that was officially the worst night we've ever had. He cried in his sleep the entire night :( when I tried to console him he just squirmed and pinched and head butted me . I'm so worn out. It seems he had a pain cos he just did the most enormous poop ever this morning

Really doesn't help that I have flu and hubby is away this week too. I'm never this sick for this long but haven't had any rest to get over this dose.

Feel like crying all day

Have a tummy bug here, she's crying when she goes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

We have reached the 'terrible twos' I was beginning to think we were gonna skip it but overnight our son has turned from an angel into a child that throws himself on the ground screaming like a mad yolk because I broke his liga in half :eek:

Still love him though but sssh dont't tell him :D:D

This time last year, I was lying in bed, cursing and bemoaning the woeful pain in my back and trying to not focus on the midwife's surprised expression when she looked at the trace and said ''you're having uterine contractions! Probably won't progress to anything......''

Happy birthday little dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Happiest of happy days Baby Nikpmup!!

Little fairy has to be woken around 7 from Monday to Friday and then wakes fresh as a daisy on Saturday morning at 6 :( That hour really makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

my little one decided that he likes waking up screaming several times a night- for no apparent reason. and the only person that he wants to cuddle with? mom of course!!

last night it was 12, 1, 3:30, 4:30, and 5:30 and I was up at 7 for work at 8. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

We're struggling with our little man's sleep at the moment too.

He's nearly 10 months now and he used to be a lot easier to get to sleep but now he just seems to get energized and hyper as soon as he hits the bed. It doesn't matter if it's our bed or his cot, he'll roll around, sit up, stand up, squeal and this will go on and on. The only thing that seems to help at the moment is holding him tight to me, which he doesn't like but sometimes it works and he calms down and drops off to sleep - but I don't want to be doing this for the future, it makes me feel like I'm holding him against his will or something!

I think it's been like this since he started in daycare. I just had a good sleep routine down and then he had to start daycare and now everything is messed up :mad: I'm back to work on Monday and I hope to God that this is just a phase he's going through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

Rachineire wrote: »
    my little one decided that he likes waking up screaming several times a night- for no apparent reason. and the only person that he wants to cuddle with? mom of course!!

last night it was 12, 1, 3:30, 4:30, and 5:30 and I was up at 7 for work at 8. :(

I'm wrecked just thinking about it! You poor thing, hopefully it'll pass soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Poor baby Merkin just totally off colour today. He had a very restless night with little moans and lots of tossing and turning and has been crying and off colour for some of the day in between catnaps on my chest or Mr. Merkins. Poor little fellow :( Nappies fine although no poo since 6am which is unusual for him,no temperature thank goodness but just really unhappy although feeding very well. He is 10+2 and is eating the little hands of himself and shaking the head a bit, could he possibly be cutting a little tooth this early does anyone think? I thought one little cheek looked redder than the other.

Advertisement