Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Not too early for teething, mine started around 8 weeks though it was about another 2.5 months for a tooth to actually appear. Start stockpiling the teething rings and remedies! Poor wee man :(

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Rachineire wrote: »
    my little one decided that he likes waking up screaming several times a night- for no apparent reason. and the only person that he wants to cuddle with? mom of course!!

last night it was 12, 1, 3:30, 4:30, and 5:30 and I was up at 7 for work at 8. :(

I had to reply to this because it sounds like something my son went through a few months back. It was so bizarre, as he always sleep good. We figured it was probably night terrors or sleep regression. I made sure that there wasn't anything in the room scaring him. A big teddy can look cute in the day town but scare the life out of them at night. Anyway it sorted itself out after about a week.

I hope you manage to get some sleep soon :) My son is two next month and he is sleeping grand now.

Merkin wrote: »
    Poor baby Merkin just totally off colour today. He had a very restless night with little moans and lots of tossing and turning and has been crying and off colour for some of the day in between catnaps on my chest or Mr. Merkins. Poor little fellow :( Nappies fine although no poo since 6am which is unusual for him,no temperature thank goodness but just really unhappy although feeding very well. He is 10+2 and is eating the little hands of himself and shaking the head a bit, could he possibly be cutting a little tooth this early does anyone think? I thought one little cheek looked redder than the other.

Could it be an ear infection? also my sons gums were itchy at that stage! Maybe teetha sachets might help?

We're struggling with our little man's sleep at the moment too.

He's nearly 10 months now and he used to be a lot easier to get to sleep but now he just seems to get energized and hyper as soon as he hits the bed. It doesn't matter if it's our bed or his cot, he'll roll around, sit up, stand up, squeal and this will go on and on. The only thing that seems to help at the moment is holding him tight to me, which he doesn't like but sometimes it works and he calms down and drops off to sleep - but I don't want to be doing this for the future, it makes me feel like I'm holding him against his will or something!

I think it's been like this since he started in daycare. I just had a good sleep routine down and then he had to start daycare and now everything is messed up :mad: I'm back to work on Monday and I hope to God that this is just a phase he's going through!

Our little man went through a sleep regression at about 10mnths, and 14months. Could it be that do you think? Would you just put him down in the cot and leave him to self settle? My little monkey tosses and turns for awhile before he settles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thanks so much girls, not sure of the cause but am suspecting gastroenterinal as he is back in flying form today but has produced three really vile nappies, you'd swear the little chap had had a large madras and a feed of pints! I love him so never pay any heed to his nappies but these were particularly rank. Must have been some little bug perhaps. :( Thanks for advice, think I will get some Teetha granules and have them in just in case, I know how good they are as they always gave my little nephew instant relief, my brother calls it 'baby crack':eek::).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Merkin wrote: »
    Thanks so much girls, not sure of the cause but am suspecting gastroenterinal as he is back in flying form today but has produced three really vile nappies, you'd swear the little chap had had a large madras and a feed of pints! I love him so never pay any heed to his nappies but these were particularly rank. Must have been some little bug perhaps. :( Thanks for advice, think I will get some Teetha granules and have them in just in case, I know how good they are as they always gave my little nephew instant relief, my brother calls it 'baby crack':eek::).

Sounds like a tummy thing alright. I'd not bother with teetha for teething, it's homeopatic. ie no active ingredient - a lactose and starch placebo. Mostly only good for separating people from their money.

Had him with GP yesterday as he had a temperature and still off form and he reckons he's gotten his first ever little cold the poor little sausage! Calpol and cuddles are helping, awful when he can't tell me where it hurts but he's a bit happier today thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Hi all. Quick question for ye. Little man will be 6 months next week and for the last 3 nights he has been waking every couple of hours. Once I give him soother he will settle back in a few mins but awake again shortly after. He was never a great sleeper but we were getting better in the last few weeks.
    Anyway my question is he has 2 teeth cut and I'm wondering is it teething that'd bothering him or have I given him bad habits with soother, getting up to him etc. he doesn't wake up and be roaring crying do that why I'm unsure if it's the teeth. There's not a bother on him during the day.
    Sorry for long post, first time mother and obviously feel I'm doing everything wrong !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Could be a bit of both. I know when teeth were arriving here he would be fine during the day coz he would have plenty of distractions but at night he was fussing not roaring or anything just not himself.
    He could be waking looking for his soother too. The sooner he can pick it up himself the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Depending on his age he could be going through a leap / sleep regression. Or have gas of some sort. Or bad dreams etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I'm 7 weeks pregnant and have a 15 month old. As with my last pregnancy I'm suffering from hyperemesis and I'm in a bad way. My little guy is very clingy at the moment and insists on coming into the toilet with my while I vomit, which is every 20 minutes.

I feel so guilty, he wants me to read books all the time and run around after him and I'm just too ill to do anything. I'm getting help from family in the afternoons so he's getting lots of attention then but it's just so tough at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Woshy wrote: »
    I'm 7 weeks pregnant and have a 15 month old. As with my last pregnancy I'm suffering from hyperemesis and I'm in a bad way. My little guy is very clingy at the moment and insists on coming into the toilet with my while I vomit, which is every 20 minutes.

I feel so guilty, he wants me to read books all the time and run around after him and I'm just too ill to do anything. I'm getting help from family in the afternoons so he's getting lots of attention then but it's just so tough at the moment :(

Just oodles of sympathy and massive hugs. My second pregnancy didn't develop into full blown hyperemesis (the first was) but it was so hard constantly puking. We used watch barney a lot and when I was feeling ok would "dance" by holding hands or singing. Got the tablets in 3rd trimester. I really felt the guilt too. Hope you feel ok soon x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Finding things really tough at the moment. Financially, I'm struggling every month. Most of my wages go on childcare and my opfp has been reduced because I'm working and "getting maintenance" (I'm not really though). I've been applying for jobs for three months roughly and thought I had a job secure but I didn't get it. The people didn't even let me know. I don't like the job I'm in now, have no experience or desire to work in that area, and I feel stuck in a rut. Had a meeting last week as they see my performance isn't up to speed because I'm just not interested in the job.

My friends are all disappearing. I feel I've no one to lean on. The guy I'm seeing is lovely but I don't want to be laying all my problems on him esp as it's still just the beginning.

Plus her dad is continuously harassing me and I can't deal with it any more.

cyning wrote: »
    Just oodles of sympathy and massive hugs. My second pregnancy didn't develop into full blown hyperemesis (the first was) but it was so hard constantly puking. We used watch barney a lot and when I was feeling ok would "dance" by holding hands or singing. Got the tablets in 3rd trimester. I really felt the guilt too. Hope you feel ok soon x

Thanks for the sympathy! We have been watching a lot of tv and having cuddles but it breaks my heart that I can't be a proper mum to him, especially given he only has 7 more months of having me to himself.

I'm having to go to the hospital tonight for fluids - had a horrific day :( I've been taking the tablets but they're not working

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Ah no woshy :( hope you don't have to stay in for long. Small people are very adaptable... My little lady used be pretending to get sick and it used break my heart. Hope the fluids help

cyning wrote: »
    Ah no woshy :( hope you don't have to stay in for long. Small people are very adaptable... My little lady used be pretending to get sick and it used break my heart. Hope the fluids help

Thanks - I know he won't remember this and he'll be fine. My mum was the same on my younger brother (there's 18 months between us). She said I was the same as my little boy except I used to laugh at her as well (sorry mum!) I know it had no lasting effect on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Woshy I'm sorry to hear you're having such a difficult pregnancy. I felt dreadful for 16 weeks on my last pregnancy and my son was 18 months. I used to be on the verge of tears with guilt as I couldn't do anything with him. He ate a lot of crackers and watched a lot of tv. The good news is that he's fine, remembers none of it and adores his little sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I didnt have hyperemesis but had pretty bad spd (crutch needed by times) i couldnt lift my daughter. Couldnt carry her . I had to remove cot bars to get her to climb in and out as i couldnt lift her. Had to teach her how to climb on to booster seat for meals and how to climb in and out of the car.

There was lots of tv watched and cuddles in bed while we watched movies. I had help too but alot of the time she was unwell with ear infections (until she eventually got grommets) so she didnt want anyone except me.

When her brother was born she was fine. She loves him to bits and it hasnt affected her one bit.

Thanks for the support ladies. I ended up being admitted to hospital last night and will probably be here tonight as well. He really doesn't have his mama around now :( hopefully I will be on the mend soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Thanks for the support ladies. I ended up being admitted to hospital last night and will probably be here tonight as well. He really doesn't have his mama around now :( hopefully I will be on the mend soon

You poor thing

• Advertisement

Get well soon Woshy, you're having a hard old time of it xx

Thanks for all the support ladies - it's very nice to read when you're stuck in hospital! No improvement yet but I'm hopeful there will be some tomorrow. My little boy came in to visit and he was a bit off with me, don't think he was impressed he didn't have his mama at home with him today!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

It must be so so difficult to be so sick and have a little person to care for. Women really do get such a hard time and very little sympathy for it.

I had an email from a colleague today and on their innocence they asked how my family was and hoped that it was still 'growing?!' It's a throwaway comment but it really upset me. I realise that lots if people are watching and waiting for me to say I'm pregnant but it's just not happening for us. I just feel so upset and helpless.

yellow hen wrote: »
    It must be so so difficult to be so sick and have a little person to care for. Women really do get such a hard time and very little sympathy for it.

I had an email from a colleague today and on their innocence they asked how my family was and hoped that it was still 'growing?!' It's a throwaway comment but it really upset me. I realise that lots if people are watching and waiting for me to say I'm pregnant but it's just not happening for us. I just feel so upset and helpless.

Sorry to hear that yellow hen x

Thanks for all the support ladies - it's very nice to read when you're stuck in hospital! No improvement yet but I'm hopeful there will be some tomorrow. My little boy came in to visit and he was a bit off with me, don't think he was impressed he didn't have his mama at home with him today!

I really hope you improve, I cannot even imagine what you are going through. Your little boy will be ok, a healthy mammy is more fun and remember to try not blame the baby (that is the general advice when pregnant and cannot play with older child right?)

bp wrote: »
    I really hope you improve, I cannot even imagine what you are going through. Your little boy will be ok, a healthy mammy is more fun and remember to try not blame the baby (that is the general advice when pregnant and cannot play with older child right?)

Thanks! He's too young to understand that there's a baby so that's one thing. It's one if the reasons we decided to have another one now, cos I thought it would have the least impact on him. I'm feeling slightly better this morning. (Although not well, just less ill) so fingers crossed I can go home later.

Sorry to hear that yellow hen - people can be so thoughtless. She probably didn't think twice about it but it was very insensitive. As soon as you have one everyone wants to know when you're having more! I hope you have some luck with a second soon - ttc is so stressful!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Woshy I hope you're feeling better and will be home with your little man soon

Yellow hen people are such twits sometimes. They may not mean any harm but a bit of engaging brain before opening mouth wouldn't go astray..

I'd never mention getting pregnant, having kids or more kids to even my closest friends as you just don't know what's going on with them.

My husband said for our first 6 years together that he never ever wanted kids. It was so hurtful when people made jokey remarks about when we were going to settle down and have kids. Of course you could never say anything back as you'd look deranged to be over reacting to their 'joke'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi all,

Woshy - get well soon.

I am in week 2 of being back at work and there is not enough coffee on the planet! Our little man is sleeping poorly at night since I started work and he started fulltime in daycare. It can take up to 2 hours to wind him down and get him to fall asleep, and he has also taken to waking in the early hours, totally hyper.

He was awake from 01:30 to 04:00 the other morning which wasn't nice for his daddy who had to be up at 04:30 :( He's also snotted up all the time, so that doesn't help, but I understand that's due to all the new bacteria etc. he needs to get used to in daycare. Just got him some drops to strengthen his immune system so maybe they will help.

I am so glad I don't have any major tasks in work yet because my brain is still asleep! I hope his sleep will settle down soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

We've finally managed to get him sleeping the night (mostly, maybe one wakeup). And now the clocks are changing.. :/ Why?? Can we not just stay on the same routine? 5.30am is so much more horrible than 6.30am...

• Advertisement

We've finally managed to get him sleeping the night (mostly, maybe one wakeup). And now the clocks are changing.. :/ Why?? Can we not just stay on the same routine? 5.30am is so much more horrible than 6.30am...

Oh god - I forgot about daylight savings :(

Advertisement