Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

galah wrote: »
    This cannot be said for their normal crayons :mad: sporting some wonderful 'wall art' here, harking back to the time hs uncle was watching monster no. 1. Sat right beside him and let him colour the wall (monster colouring, uncle watching, just in case anyone was wondering :P) :mad::eek:

That stuff does not come off...

Cif does it as well... Plain old white stuff. It can also take off some colour off the walls though, so only use on white or cream walls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

galah wrote: »
    This cannot be said for their normal crayons :mad: sporting some wonderful 'wall art' here, harking back to the time hs uncle was watching monster no. 1. Sat right beside him and let him colour the wall (monster colouring, uncle watching, just in case anyone was wondering :P) :mad::eek:

That stuff does not come off...

I enjoy the wall art lol brightens up the place. My son went through a wall paper peeling phase... Worst part was that I didn't actually have any it was my poor mam that kept finding patches of wallpaper missing from her walls. Oops :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Both of us struck down with colds, she has it worse, or it seems worse coz she's only teeny. I hate seeing her sick and uncomfortable. It will be a day under the quilts for us today.

Any other 15 month old baby being cheeky monkeys? I thought I'd get at least 18 months before I had to start pulling her out of the presses, off the stairs, away from the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My little monkey will be 18 months on Tuesday and she's fearless and completely wired for the last couple of weeks. I only have to turn my back for a minute and she's trying to climb up the shelves. Our son was never like this so it's completely new territory for us! I'm exhausted from this long weekend and am looking forward to a rest in work tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

loubian wrote: »
    Any other 15 month old baby being cheeky monkeys? I thought I'd get at least 18 months before I had to start pulling her out of the presses, off the stairs, away from the TV.

We have this with our nine month old already. You've gotten off lightly to escape this far! His dad talks about how he can climb the stairs as though it's a good thing ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My 10 month old opens everything and no newspaper is safe on the floor.
    It's liable to be torn and eaten.

15 months.. I envy you

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Had an interview for an extra position in work teaching a class. My son is 8 weeks and I'm bf so I'm pretty sleep deprived. I got the position but I've no idea how I made it through. I had to give a mock class too. At one point one of the interviewers was talking and I was just zoned out staring at her, no idea what she was saying. A few minutes later I felt like I was going to pass out! I was standing and had to lean on the table. I need sleep!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Had an interview for an extra position in work teaching a class. My son is 8 weeks and I'm bf so I'm pretty sleep deprived. I got the position but I've no idea how I made it through. I had to give a mock class too. At one point one of the interviewers was talking and I was just zoned out staring at her, no idea what she was saying. A few minutes later I felt like I was going to pass out! I was standing and had to lean on the table. I need sleep!!

For me it got easier about 16 weeks - half way there!

And double congratulations for getting the job and having an 8 week old

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

16 weeks... Can't wait! Although at the same time I want it to never come as he's just so lovely right now :) thanks for the congrats.

• Advertisement

I hate the way ddepression is seen as a fupping weakness. I'm struggling in my job regarding my mental health, it's really getting me down. But if I said to someone I left my job because it affected my mental health, it'd be seen as a negative thing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

errr......i am doing all that with my 6 month old, tell me wont still be going at 15 months :eek:

he pulled himself up on a plant pot this morning and was throwing handfuls of clay on the ground. while i was tidying that up, he fell off the bottom step of the stairs.

then he ended up in the dishwasher

i am shattered :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

John Mason wrote: »
    errr......i am doing all that with my 6 month old, tell me wont still be going at 15 months :eek:

he pulled himself up on a plant pot this morning and was throwing handfuls of clay on the ground. while i was tidying that up, he fell off the bottom step of the stairs.

then he ended up in the dishwasher

i am shattered :(

Not trying to make you feel more tired by my LO is nearly 2 and I am constantly pulling him away from dangerous things. Its like a toddler challenge- how many ways can I try and kill myself in 24 hours?

nowadays if I hear quiet I expect to find a mess! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm sitting in a hotel in Cork looking forward to 3 nights of unbroken sleep.

My wife has the kids while I'm away for work.
    Bliss. :)

Will secretly miss the kids. But I can live with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Rachineire wrote: »
    Not trying to make you feel more tired by my LO is nearly 2 and I am constantly pulling him away from dangerous things. Its like a toddler challenge- how many ways can I try and kill myself in 24 hours?

nowadays if I hear quiet I expect to find a mess! :P

My 1yr olds newest mission is to climb into the tumble dryer.

nikpmup wrote: »

My one year old licks the washing machine door! She's a mad thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

nikpmup wrote: »

His buddy has been fished out of the dishwasher on numerous occasions! Her favourite thing is to sit or stand on the open door but has gotten all the way in a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Roesy wrote: »
    His buddy has been fished out of the dishwasher on numerous occasions! Her favourite thing is to sit or stand on the open door but has gotten all the way in a couple of times.

Yep, he does that too :D

Roesy wrote: »

We recently had to replace an oven thanks to a little monkey opening it and standing on the door! Hinges were completely wrecked. Had to tape it closed until the new one got delivered lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Why does my nine month old tease me with sleep? 2 nights ago he slept through the night even though he'd been a nightmare for 3 weeks with a leap and teeth and a cough and a cold. He hadn't slept more than an hour in naps that day it was horrible. Yet he slept brought the night! Of course I was awake from 4 am having just gotten my 'full nights sleep'

He then proceeds to sleep for 5 hours yesterday over 2 naps. Nothing can wake him.

Last night he cried ALL night. He just tossed and turned and whinged and was a nightmare.

This needs to end soon I'm destroyed. I feel worse than the first few weeks after he was born.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm so, so exhausted. My 8 month old either had some sort of unusual seizure or just stopped breathing Monday so ended up in hospital. She has inflammation in her lungs so is on inhalers and stuff: between that her reflux and constipation she is on 4 different medicines some once some twice and some three times a day. The losec can't be given within two hours after eating/breastfeeding or less than a half an hour before. Can't be given at the same time as senokot or the stuff to reduce phlegm in her chest. We still don't really know what happened and I'm so worried it will happen again. I'm run ragged between her and my two year old who can't understand why we aren't going to the park/out. S only wants to be up in my arms which is understandable but I can't hold her so much I have to play with C and make lunch do the housework etc. I'm just exhausted from it all. It's completely non stop with her. It's her fourth stay in hospital not to mention all the doctors visits and I'm so afraid of something else going wrong with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

cyning wrote: »
    I'm so, so exhausted. My 8 month old either had some sort of unusual seizure or just stopped breathing Monday so ended up in hospital. She has inflammation in her lungs so is on inhalers and stuff: between that her reflux and constipation she is on 4 different medicines some once some twice and some three times a day. The losec can't be given within two hours after eating/breastfeeding or less than a half an hour before. Can't be given at the same time as senokot or the stuff to reduce phlegm in her chest. We still don't really know what happened and I'm so worried it will happen again. I'm run ragged between her and my two year old who can't understand why we aren't going to the park/out. S only wants to be up in my arms which is understandable but I can't hold her so much I have to play with C and make lunch do the housework etc. I'm just exhausted from it all. It's completely non stop with her. It's her fourth stay in hospital not to mention all the doctors visits and I'm so afraid of something else going wrong with her.
    I hope they find out what it was and that you get some rest soon.. You poor things - so stressful when they're sick never mind when you don't know what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

God you poor things Cyning, that must have been terrifying. I hope it is resolved soon and all her little issues sort themselves out. Have you family nearby or could someone maybe take the toddler for a day to give you a bit of a break?

Not during the week: normally the weekends I would but not this coming one. Ah I'll be grand in a few days just shattered from it. It's the worry. Hopefully it doesn't happen again or she will need an EEG and CT scan. It's such a worry :( and I know it could be so so much worse

Not during the week: normally the weekends I would but not this coming one. Ah I'll be grand in a few days just shattered from it. It's the worry. Hopefully it doesn't happen again or she will need an EEG and CT scan. It's such a worry :( and I know it could be so so much worse[/

Did the doctor mention anything about breath holding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Merkin wrote: »
    God you poor things Cyning, that must have been terrifying. I hope it is resolved soon and all her little issues sort themselves out. Have you family nearby or could someone maybe take the toddler for a day to give you a bit of a break?

Merkin did the little dude have his op last week? Hope all went well!

He doesn't think it was breath holding because I shook her and it didn't shock her into breathing and she was completely limp too. I'm really hoping it was a once off

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Merkin did the little dude have his op last week? Hope all went well!

He did indeed Indigo Twist, thank you. He had the operation last Thursday and I think the exhaustion and stress of it all is only hitting us now tbh! The procedure takes 1.5 hours but he was down for five hours because during surgery his pulse escalated (indicative of pain) , the anaesthetist administered more morphine, baby Merkin reacted very badly to it and he was starved of oxygen for a minute and had to be given naloxone (the stuff they give to people who overdose on heroin) all the while his little vocal cords shut tight and went into laryngospasm (if you want to freak out look it up). Basically it was a pretty shaky theatre experience for all concerned and the wait for us was really hellish. I'm normally fairly chilled but I had to take a Valium and the longer time ticked on the more I suspected something was up. So we eventually got our beautiful little baby back and went down to recovery to get him (our gorgeous little fifteen week old baby on a massive medical trolley with an oxygen mask, not nice) BUT we were just so happy to see him and the results are absolutely phenomenal. Truly. The maxillofacial team are geniuses, the anaesthetist did a great job and all the nurses were just so lovely. Above all else, baby Merkin really and truly is the most amazing, strong, inspirational and gorgeous little trooper around, talk about resilience! I couldn't believe after significant oral surgery he drank 35oz of milk in the following 24 hours.....Lolers :D The aesthetic results are marvellous and we were discharged last Saturday and Ive basically been cuddling him since :) And he's rolled over and now holds on to and shakes his Mrs. Moo rattle since so it's done him no harm thankfully. I will send you on before and after pics. I miss his old smile a little but am totally used to the new one now too and I'm just ever so proud of him xx

He doesn't think it was breath holding because I shook her and it didn't shock her into breathing and she was completely limp too. I'm really hoping it was a once off

My son breath holds and shaking doesn't work. He goes limp his fingers go all rigid and deformed and his eyes roll back in his head and sometimes he convulses. If I take him outside into the cold it usually snaps him out of it but the first time it happened he was eating and I didn't realise that he had inhaled what he was eating aswell and had full cardiac arrest. The breath holding is absolutely terrifying although the more he has the quicker I am to react and calmer I am. I take him straight outside and hold his head to make sure he doesn't swallow his tongue. It is mostly harmless we just had a freak accident.

Also I hate the word breath holding it sounds like it's voluntary and it definately isn't. He takes a breath in that he can't get back out so the first minute is kind of like a silent scream. Eyes wide and mouth open.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Jesus you poor thing you must have been terrified :(:( Was she awake or asleep when it happened?
    Merkin wrote: »
    He did indeed Indigo Twist, thank you. He had the operation last Thursday and I think the exhaustion and stress of it all is only hitting us now tbh! The procedure takes 1.5 hours but he was down for five hours because during surgery his pulse escalated (indicative of pain) , the anaesthetist administered more morphine, baby Merkin reacted very badly to it and he was starved of oxygen for a minute and had to be given naloxone (the stuff they give to people who overdose on heroin) all the while his little vocal cords shut tight and went into laryngospasm (if you want to freak out look it up). Basically it was a pretty shaky theatre experience for all concerned and the wait for us was really hellish. I'm normally fairly chilled but I had to take a Valium and the longer time ticked on the more I suspected something was up. So we eventually got our beautiful little baby back and went down to recovery to get him (our gorgeous little fifteen week old baby on a massive medical trolley with an oxygen mask, not nice) BUT we were just so happy to see him and the results are absolutely phenomenal. Truly. The maxillofacial team are geniuses, the anaesthetist did a great job and all the nurses were just so lovely. Above all else, baby Merkin really and truly is the most amazing, strong, inspirational and gorgeous little trooper around, talk about resilience! I couldn't believe after significant oral surgery he drank 35oz of milk in the following 24 hours.....Lolers :D The aesthetic results are marvellous and we were discharged last Saturday and Ive basically been cuddling him since :) And he's rolled over and now holds on to and shakes his Mrs. Moo rattle since so it's done him no harm thankfully. I will send you on before and after pics. I miss his old smile a little but am totally used to the new one now too and I'm just ever so proud of him xx

That's brilliant Merkin :D I'm glad everything went well in the end, it must have been an agonising wait for ye :(

Advertisement