Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Merkin wrote: »
    He did indeed Indigo Twist, thank you. He had the operation last Thursday and I think the exhaustion and stress of it all is only hitting us now tbh! The procedure takes 1.5 hours but he was down for five hours because during surgery his pulse escalated (indicative of pain) , the anaesthetist administered more morphine, baby Merkin reacted very badly to it and he was starved of oxygen for a minute and had to be given naloxone (the stuff they give to people who overdose on heroin) all the while his little vocal cords shut tight and went into laryngospasm (if you want to freak out look it up). Basically it was a pretty shaky theatre experience for all concerned and the wait for us was really hellish. I'm normally fairly chilled but I had to take a Valium and the longer time ticked on the more I suspected something was up. So we eventually got our beautiful little baby back and went down to recovery to get him (our gorgeous little fifteen week old baby on a massive medical trolley with an oxygen mask, not nice) BUT we were just so happy to see him and the results are absolutely phenomenal. Truly. The maxillofacial team are geniuses, the anaesthetist did a great job and all the nurses were just so lovely. Above all else, baby Merkin really and truly is the most amazing, strong, inspirational and gorgeous little trooper around, talk about resilience! I couldn't believe after significant oral surgery he drank 35oz of milk in the following 24 hours.....Lolers :D The aesthetic results are marvellous and we were discharged last Saturday and Ive basically been cuddling him since :) And he's rolled over and now holds on to and shakes his Mrs. Moo rattle since so it's done him no harm thankfully. I will send you on before and after pics. I miss his old smile a little but am totally used to the new one now too and I'm just ever so proud of him xx

Delighted it all went so well. They are so resilient. It's amazing. Great news :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thanks so much. Have to go through it all again in February or March for palate repair but the team are really amazing, we are blessed really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

cyning wrote: »
    Not during the week: normally the weekends I would but not this coming one. Ah I'll be grand in a few days just shattered from it. It's the worry. Hopefully it doesn't happen again or she will need an EEG and CT scan. It's such a worry :( and I know it could be so so much worse

OMG cyning! You poor thing! I really don't know what to say. Poor babes has had such a hard time of it and I honestly don't know how u are even still standing! X

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

That's fantastic news Merkin :)

Emma that sounds so scary. S was sitting in her highchair right beside me (not eating) and suddenly slumped over on her tray not moving. I shook her and when she didn't move I took her out of highchair she was completely limp in my arms with her eyes closed. She still wasn't moving so I shook her again she took a really deep breath in, gave two small coughs and then started laughing at me. The cranial ultrasound was clear which was great.

She's very very cranky today but was in great form when in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

You poor things - I really hope things improve for everyone, just puts my miniscule problems in perspective.

If it helps I was a 'breath holder' and grew out of it - thank God my little one doesn't seem to be. I will be thinking of you both

• Advertisement

cyning wrote: »
    That's fantastic news Merkin :)

Emma that sounds so scary. S was sitting in her highchair right beside me (not eating) and suddenly slumped over on her tray not moving. I shook her and when she didn't move I took her out of highchair she was completely limp in my arms with her eyes closed. She still wasn't moving so I shook her again she took a really deep breath in, gave two small coughs and then started laughing at me. The cranial ultrasound was clear which was great.

She's very very cranky today but was in great form when in hospital.

That sounds very similar to some of his minor episodes alright but I know that kind of thing can really be anything. It's good that you had the ultrasound. It gives you some sort of peace I'd say . she has probably already forgotten at this stage. My little man was absolutely grand after he got out of hospital but I was an absolute wreck lol they put us to shame with their strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

My son breath holds and shaking doesn't work. He goes limp his fingers go all rigid and deformed and his eyes roll back in his head and sometimes he convulses. If I take him outside into the cold it usually snaps him out of it but the first time it happened he was eating and I didn't realise that he had inhaled what he was eating aswell and had full cardiac arrest. The breath holding is absolutely terrifying although the more he has the quicker I am to react and calmer I am. I take him straight outside and hold his head to make sure he doesn't swallow his tongue. It is mostly harmless we just had a freak accident.

Also I hate the word breath holding it sounds like it's voluntary and it definately isn't. He takes a breath in that he can't get back out so the first minute is kind of like a silent scream. Eyes wide and mouth open.

Christ Emmadilema that sounds so scary! Even if it's harmless it would freak the hell out of me. Babies are tougher than us mums, thankfully!

Christ Emmadilema that sounds so scary! Even if it's harmless it would freak the hell out of me. Babies are tougher than us mums, thankfully!

It's very scary but soooo many little people go through it. It seems to be very common. I was on a forum with a few other parents with the same issue and that was very reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Ah cyning poor thing. She really has had such a tough few months (as have you)

Merkin id say ye were terrified. Glad it went well in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Do they have any idea what causes the breath holding or is it just another one of those 'it's a phase they'll grow out of' things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Also what age did your babies start doing this? Sounds terrifying!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Also I hate the word breath holding it sounds like it's voluntary and it definately isn't. He takes a breath in that he can't get back out so the first minute is kind of like a silent scream. Eyes wide and mouth open.

S went through this for a while from about 14mo. I always made sure to call it a breath holding attack because that's what it is. It tends to be portrayed as a manipulative action, ie, "I'll hold my breath until I frighten you enough to get my own way" but it's completely and totally involuntary. S only ever got them when he'd hurt himself and it was like he'd need to scream so badly that he just couldn't get air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Sounds absolutely dreadful for both the child and parent :(

Omg someone help me lol lo poked me in the eye at about 5.30am and 2 hours later the pain is still fierce, I can't open my eye and it's absolutely streaming. I've been poked in the eye before but this is unreal. Searing pain through my eyeball :-( if it keeps up it looks like a doctors visit. This just feels so ridiculous going to the docs because my baby poked me in the eye!

Do they have any idea what causes the breath holding or is it just another one of those 'it's a phase they'll grow out of' things?

It's just something they grow out like night terrors etc. My son started having minor attacks sometime around age 1 and they became very frequent and more severe around 18 months. Didn't actually realise what it is was until he had the bad one that ended up in hospital. After that they were very frequent and now they have stopped. Stopped around 3. I don't want to speak too soon but I think were done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Is that sleep apnoea or is that something else? A friend of mine is in hospital with her baby with something similar at the moment, poor little guy stopped breathing 27 times the other night. :( The machinery kicked in straight away and worked like it was supposed to, but I can't even imagine how scary it must be to watch your baby going through that.

Is that sleep apnoea or is that something else? A friend of mine is in hospital with her baby with something similar at the moment, poor little guy stopped breathing 27 times the other night. :( The machinery kicked in straight away and worked like it was supposed to, but I can't even imagine how scary it must be to watch your baby going through that.

Sleep apnoea is another thing again. That's an awful thing poor little baba

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

S is 8 months: but they don't think it was breath holding. I'm tormented getting all her medicine into her. I hope she grows out of all this sickness soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

cyning, that must be so so scary. I did a paediatric cpr course recently, but I'm not entirely sure I could remain calm and focussed enough to do what needed to be done if I saw my baby collapse the way you describe.

Mixed emotions day on wednesday - my aunt passed away after battling cancer for a long, long time - she was first diagnosed 19yrs ago, and she finally succumbed early wednesday morning. While we were in her house wednesday afternoon, amongst all the bru-ha-ha and grieving relatives and massive amounts of tea and sandwiches, H stood up, balanced on his own for the first time and took two very wobbly steps.

nikpmup wrote: »
    cyning, that must be so so scary. I did a paediatric cpr course recently, but I'm not entirely sure I could remain calm and focussed enough to do what needed to be done if I saw my baby collapse the way you describe.

Mixed emotions day on wednesday - my aunt passed away after battling cancer for a long, long time - she was first diagnosed 19yrs ago, and she finally succumbed early wednesday morning. While we were in her house wednesday afternoon, amongst all the bru-ha-ha and grieving relatives and massive amounts of tea and sandwiches, H stood up, balanced on his own for the first time and took two very wobbly

I wouldn't be surprised if he did it on purpose. They always know when mammy or daddy needs a boost. I'm So sorry for you loss! Hope your taking it nice and easy.

I'm baby free today. Going back to my previous post about the baby eye poke this morning I continued to get worse with an unbelievable migraine sneaking in aswell. Was in so much pain by the time I got to the doctors. She had a look and said I had an "epic" tear in my cornea. By the time I got home the pain was so bad I started throwing up everywhere. It's gonna take a few days for the pain to ease. I'm now lying on the couch watching Netflix which I must admit is very nice even though I feel so rubbish. Moral of the story... Don't let your babies poke you in the eye ladies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

jebus that sounds rough! I got a kick on the eyeball once during the night and that was bad - can only imagine what an cornea tear is like!

Our little lad seems to have big issues keeping warm at night.
    Last night he had a wool vest with long sleeves, a pair of tights, then a pyjamas over that and then a fleece onesie (that is meant for outdoors) on top. He slept between us with our quilt on him. We had the heating on.

Still when I took off the onesie, the pjs and the tights this morning I could feel he was cold on the legs and his nose is now running... I am not sure how much more clothes we can pile on him without risking him overheating- anyone got any suggestions? He doesn't like grobags so I don't use those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I had a tear on my cornea last year after my daughter poked me in the eye. My gp said it's a fairly common injury for mums with smallies. I hope yours heals faster than mine. The pain was horrendous but that was largely due to the barbaric procedure done in the eye and ear hospital. If it ever happened again I'd let it heal by itself

I had a tear on my cornea last year after my daughter poked me in the eye. My gp said it's a fairly common injury for mums with smallies. I hope yours heals faster than mine. The pain was horrendous but that was largely due to the barbaric procedure done in the eye and ear hospital. If it ever happened again I'd let it heal by itself

The pain was absolutely atrocious and I went through the birth of a child with not a blade of pain relief during or after so if Id like to think my pain threshold is decent lol . No barbaric procedures thank god and was much better the following day. Just a dull ache and a bit of throbbing now but gp said the tear has healed. She also said most corneal tears they see are from little fingers! Babas fingers have been well and truly filed lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Poor H woke up wheezing and coughing today. I'm only back from my aunts funeral, he was a little hero, was so good all day. He's really wheezy but is still in great form. I've the humidifier on in the room and snuffle babe all over his chest. Poor little mite

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

nikpmup wrote: »
    Poor H woke up wheezing and coughing today. I'm only back from my aunts funeral, he was a little hero, was so good all day. He's really wheezy but is still in great form. I've the humidifier on in the room and snuffle babe all over his chest. Poor little mite

Must be the weather for it, same thing in this house. He's been choking coughing since he went to bed tonight. Long night ahead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Snap! Awful night last night waking up all the time. Poor fella was exhausted today so hopefully we have a better night tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oh my goodness do three year olds ever stop talking! I love it of course, but I can't hear myself think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

We are just getting over that cough/ cold! Has taken almost 4 weeks and he combined with eye teeth!

Pure exhausting hell!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

pwurple wrote: »
    Oh my goodness do three year olds ever stop talking! I love it of course, but I can't hear myself think.

:D Nope, they dont!

My lad was slow to start. I used to yearn for him to say words.

*kicks self*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

pwurple wrote: »
    Neyite wrote: »
    :D Nope, they dont!

My lad was slow to start. I used to yearn for him to say words.

*kicks self*

Jumping into the thread...
    I'm so glad it's not me. I have a 6 year old and a two and a half year old, neither of whom EVER stop talking. Ever!
    I heard the younger one shout "I want a apple" at about half two this morning. I hope she was dreaming because I ignored her anyway!

Advertisement