Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My lil woman 2.5yrs had grommets earlier this year so im still so excited hearing her talking and picking up everything.
    When she was going through "what you doing?" phase it was getting a little annoying , but only a little.
    When she suddenly hears something that i wouldnt even hear like someone coming to the door and saying "oh, whats that noise?" 2 seconds before the door bell rings, i light up knowing she heard them walking up the ramp when only a few months ago she wouldnt hear you calling her loudly from the next room .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Jumping into the thread...
    I'm so glad it's not me. I have a 6 year old and a two and a half year old, neither of whom EVER stop talking. Ever!
    I heard the younger one shout "I want a apple" at about half two this morning. I hope she was dreaming because I ignored her anyway!

Why? Why? Whyyyyyyy? Njarg. I feel yer pain, it's the same here. The Spanish inquisition was for amateurs compared to our three year old. What are you doin? Why? Who's this guy (preferably when it's a woman walking past' :o) what's that noise? Why? Wher are you going? What's that?

And my absolute favourite embarassing moment (thankfully I wasnt there but my husband) 'what's this guys' penis doing?' - in the changing rooms of the local swimming pool. :o (totally innocent i would like to add, that guy was simply changing and our child was just looking at him, nothing sinister going on! Still mortifying for daddy tho :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Suucee wrote: »
    My lil woman 2.5yrs had grommets earlier this year so im still so excited hearing her talking and picking up everything.
    When she was going through "what you doing?" phase it was getting a little annoying , but only a little.
    When she suddenly hears something that i wouldnt even hear like someone coming to the door and saying "oh, whats that noise?" 2 seconds before the door bell rings, i light up knowing she heard them walking up the ramp when only a few months ago she wouldnt hear you calling her loudly from the next room .

This is exactly my toddler, it's amazing to think how hindered she was before the grommets

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

galah wrote: »
    Why? Why? Whyyyyyyy? Njarg. I feel yer pain, it's the same here. The Spanish inquisition was for amateurs compared to our three year old. What are you doin? Why? Who's this guy (preferably when it's a woman walking past' :o) what's that noise? Why? Wher are you going? What's that?

And my absolute favourite embarassing moment (thankfully I wasnt there but my husband) 'what's this guys' penis doing?' - in the changing rooms of the local swimming pool. :o (totally innocent i would like to add, that guy was simply changing and our child was just looking at him, nothing sinister going on! Still mortifying for daddy tho :D)

You can't beat the embarrassing moments. The 6 year old was playing with another girl in the playground, not a child he knows. He was overheard telling his new friend:
    I saw my daddy naked (general laughter)
    I saw his privates (eh, what? looks nervously around playground)
    There was hair there (OMG!:o:eek:)

He also told me he could see a ninja in Lidl one day. It was a woman in full Islamic dress (niqab?)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

we've been very lucky with our daughter, 17 weeks old but now sleeping from about 8:30 - 7:30 since 8 weeks old.

However the last few days (sunday night and last night) she's woken up in pain and had enormous poops :D, sunday we had to bath her it was that bad.

I'm shattered! had gotten so used to sleep filled nights

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

we've been very lucky with our daughter, 17 weeks old but now sleeping from about 8:30 - 7:30 since 8 weeks old.

My daughter is 17 weeks on Saturday and has never slept more than three hours in one go. Right now we're smack bang in the middle of leap 4 and she wakes every hour on a bad night, every two hours on a good one. I'm so pleased for but also maddeningly jealous of parents with babies who sleep :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Does anyone know what Mothercares return policy is? I bought an outfit 2 months ago for my little fella for xmas but just checked the label there now and realised I bought the wrong size. The receipt is long gone but I know what date I bought it and I used my family card so I'm hoping they'll let me exchange it. I know they were really helpful last year when I had to return a faulty item without receipt so I'm hoping they'll be the same with this, even though it was my own baby brained fault :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Does anyone know what Mothercares return policy is? I bought an outfit 2 months ago for my little fella for xmas but just checked the label there now and realised I bought the wrong size. The receipt is long gone but I know what date I bought it and I used my family card so I'm hoping they'll let me exchange it. I know they were really helpful last year when I had to return a faulty item without receipt so I'm hoping they'll be the same with this, even though it was my own baby brained fault :o

They should be ok swapping it or giving credit note if tags are still on. If you bought by card could you show a statement as proof of purchase? I always just say I got it as a gift and it's wrong size if I want to return something and don't have gift receipt,... Never a problem... They don't keep a record of things on the family card tho so no point even mentioning that (I've tried it a few times :)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Great thanks :) I bought it by card so I have a record of it on my online banking although it'd probably be less hassle just to say I got it as a gift. The staff are lovely in the shop anyway and they know me from going in and out so fingers crossed. It's very annoying that you can't see the transactions for the family card, I actually emailed them a few months ago to query it because I couldn't make head nor tail of my points when I checked them online but all they could do was send me a list of amounts spent and even that took nearly a week cos they had to contact the accounts department for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Can anybody shed some light on the latest problem we are having with our 7 month old. He wakes numerous times during the night just to be settled back down again. He isn't hungry in pain or too hot/ too cold I don't think. I used to rock him to sleep and thought this was the problem so now he goes down awake and gets a rub on the back/pat on the bum and he is asleep in no time. No crying nothing. Buy he still wakes during the night. Tonight he was asleep by 8:30 and I've had to go into him twice already. He has just started crawling and sometimes when we go in he is up on all fours!!
    He is also a divil for waking early from his naps. Do I just have a bad sleeper on my hands or are we doing something wrong??? :(:(
    Thanks in advance for any advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Claire de Lune

No advice Deh83, but we are going through the same thing with our 7.5 months old! He's crawling as well and very active during the day. Up until last week I was breastfeeding him during the night thinking he was waking up hungry. But he eats very well during the day, so no need for night feeds according to the PHN. We now rock him back to sleep and rub his back, 3/4 times a night! I am following the no cry sleep solution and hope to teach him to go back asleep on his own eventually. I think we just need to ride it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think there are lots of big developmental leaps between 6-9 months. Look up the wonder weeks and it shows when all the leaps occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Starting to prepare food and lucky to get to eat it Less than 3 hrs later! When you really need to eat and baby will not be put down anywhere for more than a minute without roaring!

Thanks Clare and how strange. According to wonder weeks he's not in the middle of any leap at the minute!! Last night was worst ever. Awake 4 times between 9-12. Brought him Into my bed then as I just can't handle it anymore. It's the same now with naps. Wakes after 30 mins even though I put him down awake. I just can't figure him out at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

deh983 wrote: »
    Thanks Clare and how strange. According to wonder weeks he's not in the middle of any leap at the minute!! Last night was worst ever. Awake 4 times between 9-12. Brought him Into my bed then as I just can't handle it anymore. It's the same now with naps. Wakes after 30 mins even though I put him down awake. I just can't figure him out at all.

Teething?

Went out with husband for anniversary dinner last night, (several months overdue)... babysitter arranged for months (their auntie, who they know well). She was a wreck when we got home. 3 year old had thrown a screaming fit at bedtime because mammy wasn't there. Woke up the baby, who then threw a fit and wouldn't go back to sleep. We were back at 10:30 and she said they had only just settled. ARG! Morto. That's the end of her offering to babysit ever again I'd say.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

pwurple wrote: »
    Teething?

Went out with husband for anniversary dinner last night, (several months overdue)... babysitter arranged for months (their auntie, who they know well). She was a wreck when we got home. 3 year old had thrown a screaming fit at bedtime because mammy wasn't there. Woke up the baby, who then threw a fit and wouldn't go back to sleep. We were back at 10:30 and she said they had only just settled. ARG! Morto. That's the end of her offering to babysit ever again I'd say.

Aw no, I hate that, I feel so guilty that my offspring were terrors and it really puts us off going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

On the rare ocassion that my mother in law has babysat overnight either A has screamed all night and refused to go into her cot or some of the neighbours have an all night party. She's never had anything remotely like decent nights sleep whenever she's done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

My lo is sick now - cough, cold, tummy bug. She's miserable. But she doesn't want to be held. Well she does but every time I pick her up, she kicks and screams but when I Put her down, she screams to be back up. Anyone else's bubs do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

deh983 wrote: »

My 6 month old is the exact same! We've always put him down awake and the last couple of weeks he's been waking really frequently. For the past week he's been impossible to settle back once he wakes properly at 12-1am so I've been taking him into my bed. For a couple of nights he was up from 12-4 and I spent the whole time over the cot settling him, before I gave in at 4 and took him in. It's just not worth it. I really hope it's a phase, I feel like we've taken a massive step back in the sleeping front over the last while.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

loubian wrote: »
    My lo is sick now - cough, cold, tummy bug. She's miserable. But she doesn't want to be held. Well she does but every time I pick her up, she kicks and screams but when I Put her down, she screams to be back up. Anyone else's bubs do this?
    Mine did that a couple of weeks ago with a very bad rash and blisters that was driving him cracked. It would have driven me cracked only for I saw how tired and uncomfortable he was and just pure frustrated and taking it out on me.

I brought him into a bed with me and just gently rubbed his back until he let himself snuggle into me. I didn't get a lot of sleep that week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

My motto with any of these issues - not sleeping, sick, unsettled - Par For The Course. If I get stressed about it I can't deal with it, if I accept it, it passes much easier. It's how I get by!

Actually, I think I take that back. He's awake since 4am vomiting. I'm crosseyed with tiredness.

My 6 month old is the exact same! We've always put him down awake and the last couple of weeks he's been waking really frequently. For the past week he's been impossible to settle back once he wakes properly at 12-1am so I've been taking him into my bed. For a couple of nights he was up from 12-4 and I spent the whole time over the cot settling him, before I gave in at 4 and took him in. It's just not worth it. I really hope it's a phase, I feel like we've taken a massive step back in the sleeping front over the last while.

Oh god me too. I would just love a nights sleep. All part of the joys I suppose!! He was having 3 naps a day with the third a very short one in the evening but seems to have dropped that himself over the past 2 days and is having two longer ones. This along with giving him his dinner at lunchtime to give a better chance to digest, I'm hoping will help at night. OH is working away during the weekend I just can't get a break at all. Please god it improves for all of us shortly!!! Great knowing it's not just is doing something wrong though and that others are experiencing the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Oh god, so so tired! Some sort of sleep regression has hit here recently and it has peaked the last few days. We're up progressively earlier every morning. We've lost about 1.5 hours sleep. If it keeps up like this there's gonna be a 4 at the start of tomorrow's waking time. I may crack up of that happens.

Little man's still vomiting - he had a brief respite yesterday, but this morning he brought up the previous evenings dinner, followed by his bottle. He's conked out now. My partner has to cope alone cos I'm in stoopid work :( He's managed to hold down a bit of toast and sips of water so I'm hopeful it's on it's way out. He had the mother of all vile nappies earlier so I reckon it's a bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

What age is your little one nikpmup? My little nephew was out of crèche all last week with vomiting and diahorrea and apparently half the tots in Dublin have it so sounds like it could be a bug alright :(

Merkin wrote: »
    What age is your little one nikpmup? My little nephew was out of crèche all last week with vomiting and diahorrea and apparently half the tots in Dublin have it so sounds like it could be a bug alright :(

He's 14 months - he kept down bits of toast and sips of water today; and my OH gave him his formula in a beaker rather than a bottle so he couldn't guzzle it down. Seems to have worked: fingers crossed he's over the worst of it.

Why do they sleep so much better in our beds?? Little man wakes up to 5 times a night to be settled back down. We were staying in my mams last night & couldn't have him waking the whole place so brought him in with me at 11. Not a peep out of him till 8:30.

Why why why why oh why????? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

It's natural for them to feel safer and therefore sleep better when someone is close to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Hm. Our baby's cot is right next to our bed. As in, pushed right up, only the bars of the cot separate him from us. And he still sleeps better when he's in our bed :confused:

Advertisement