Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Yeah we have a co sleeper and he still sleeps better in the bed. Our fella likes just to touch skin on skin. Even just hand holding makes him sleep great. Plus the extra warmth might be a factor? I just wish our guy didn't do gymnastics in the bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Oh we have the opposite, hates being in our bed and asks for their cot

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Yeah we have a co sleeper and he still sleeps better in the bed. Our fella likes just to touch skin on skin. Even just hand holding makes him sleep great. Plus the extra warmth might be a factor? I just wish our guy didn't do gymnastics in the bed!

Our fella is the exact same. He spent the first 3 weeks co-sleeping and still ends up in with me at some stage most nights. We moved him into his own room (in the cot he's always slept in) 3 weeks ago - the first week was great but then we had 2 weeks of hell - he was back in our room in a travel cot last night and he did better! If he co-slept he would sleep through the night no bother - he'll hold my hand or my nose or something to make sure I don't go anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Our 18 month old has been banned from our bed. He sleeps properly in his own cot but if he comes into our bed it takes 2 hours for him to properly fall asleep. He throws himself around, stands up and jumps up and down and jumps on me. As well as punching, kicking, pinching and head butting. His recent favourite thing is kicking my currently 15 week pregnant belly, quite hard. That was the final straw. Now, no matter how much he cries he is not coming in our bed. So far, it's been a few days of me being a hardass and we've had some crying at night but it's not been too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

bp wrote: »
    Oh we have the opposite, hates being in our bed and asks for their cot

+1 my little miss independent loves her cot. She will throw us a bone and come into the bed in the morning only for her bottle! Sometimes I think I'd love a cuddle at night, just once every now and again :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Digs wrote: »
    +1 my little miss independent loves her cot. She will throw us a bone and come into the bed in the morning only for her bottle! Sometimes I think I'd love a cuddle at night, just once every now and again :D

My little one is the same but my almost 4 year old son still loves a sleep over and I often sleep in with him for cuddles. It's lovely lol I work so much it's nice to get quality time even if it is while sleeping :-D I'm pretty sure the phn would have a melt down if she knew ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Our little man was one year old yesterday (:)) but he's still sleeping in our bed.
    He definitely prefers it to the cot. Even going to bed at night, we have to get him asleep in our bed first, then transfer him to the cot when we go downstairs. He will always wake at some point during the night and then its back into our bed. He even has his own pillow in our bed now, LOL so I guess he's in it for the long run.
    I wouldn't mind trying to move him into his own room, but my hubby is loving the co-sleeping - he thinks its the most cosy thing ever! I think its cosy too, until I get a kick to the eyeball.

Reading some of the posts here has made me feel a bit better about the fact that he's still co-sleeping. I guess it is common enough even for his age.

Our little man was one year old yesterday (:)) but he's still sleeping in our bed.
    He definitely prefers it to the cot. Even going to bed at night, we have to get him asleep in our bed first, then transfer him to the cot when we go downstairs. He will always wake at some point during the night and then its back into our bed. He even has his own pillow in our bed now, LOL so I guess he's in it for the long run.
    I wouldn't mind trying to move him into his own room, but my hubby is loving the co-sleeping - he thinks its the most cosy thing ever! I think its cosy too, until I get a kick to the eyeball.

Reading some of the posts here has made me feel a bit better about the fact that he's still co-sleeping. I guess it is common enough even for his age.

I said this before on here I'm sure but we had a parenting expert in work and I asked him if co sleeping would cause any developmental problems and he said absolutely not. If your happy and babas happy just go with what works for you. As I said I'm still having the odd night with a near 4 year old ha ba

I Co sleep and I love it. I even take her into the bed on purpose sometimes so I can cuddle :P she sleeps better with me, which means I sleep better so it's all ggood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I love co-sleeping but last night I was having a dream that there was a mouse in my kitchen when I felt something run up the inside of my arm. I screamed and jumped out of the bed thinking that there was a mouse on me. Then I realised that S had been snuggled up against me and had ran his fingers up my arm in his sleep. It's a miracle that I didn't wake him up with my somewhat histrionic reaction to a gentle snuggle. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

iguana wrote: »
    I love co-sleeping but last night I was having a dream that there was a mouse in my kitchen when I felt something run up the inside of my arm. I screamed and jumped out of the bed thinking that there was a mouse on me. Then I realised that S had been snuggled up against me and had ran his fingers up my arm in his sleep. It's a miracle that I didn't wake him up with my somewhat histrionic reaction to a gentle snuggle. :o

This is the reason I can't co sleep. I'm a crazy sleep person! I sleep talk, I toss and turn, occasionally sleep walk and have bouts of night terrors. It's touch and go as to whether my poor husband is safe in the bed with me, nevermind worrying about baby surviving my antics unscathed.

The creche gave my daughter kinder chocolate yesterday even though they know she is allergic to dairy. I'm livid because the poor child is itching like mad and has a rash om her face. No one is getting any sleep. I'm in two minds about moving her somewhere else as it's not the first time it's happened

loubian wrote: »
    The creche gave my daughter kinder chocolate yesterday even though they know she is allergic to dairy. I'm livid because the poor child is itching like mad and has a rash om her face. No one is getting any sleep. I'm in two minds about moving her somewhere else as it's not the first time it's happened

I would be so annoyed - is she ok? Did they at least apologise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

That's really annoying. Was it a new staff member who made a mistake or someone who should know? Bad either way. I would ask to speak to the manager and complain (if you haven't already). Are you happy with the crèche otherwise?

Yeah I am mostly happy with the creche, but it's just happened before. It might have been new staff. I only noticed yesterday when I read her report as my brother collected her Friday evening because I had to work late. I would have said something on Friday had a collected her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I'd be quite annoyed if my creche gave my son chocolate at all without checking with me first. I don't plan on giving him chocolate myself at home until he's at least maybe three, so I certainly wouldn't appreciate someone else giving it to him. That's really bad form.

In my creche a parent left in birthday cake for their child and some was given to my child. I wasn't too happy as we are trying to keep of cake etc until at least 2, but when the creche realised they were very apologetic and there is no allergy - all staff should know. What if it was a peanut with a nut allergy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Ah honey....Please go back to sleep! Remember how you were sleeping Soooo much better? You are 10 wks old now, not 2 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Hello 5 o'clock my old friend. Please go to sleep. Just one hour just one....... Please. Your hungry again really ? Where are you putting it. You are not 5 days old yet and you eat more than me and your mom.

Oh look Vincent Brown is on again in an hour

• Advertisement

Looks like it was bad nights all round. Little ones horrendous cough is finally getting better but woke up to little man spewing all over the bed in the middle of the night and crying. This is bizarre but he gets vomiting bug every year the week before Xmas. Feeling pretty ropey myself so no doubt I'll have head in toilet by the end of the day.

Ive had to take the day off work as childminder will take them when they are sick but not throwing up (can't blame her at all as it would break my heart to leave him with someone else while in that state) I seem to be taking a lot more time off work with 2 kids. There is always someone sick or something going on. Work are very supportive and great about these things but I feel awful everytime I have to ring and say I won't be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I hear ya-same here, the two seem to be sharing a lot more illnesses. Since i went back to work just over 6 weeks ago, we had chicken pox for both, chest infection for the baby, throat n ear infection for both and a nasty croupy cough, both again. I still havent managed to get a decent night's sleep (that is, more than 3 hours uninterrupted) since last Christmas :(

galah wrote: »
    I hear ya-same here, the two seem to be sharing a lot more illnesses. Since i went back to work just over 6 weeks ago, we had chicken pox for both, chest infection for the baby, throat n ear infection for both and a nasty croupy cough, both again. I still havent managed to get a decent night's sleep (that is, more than 3 hours uninterrupted) since last Christmas :(

It's a nightmare. I'm hoping things get better soon because I can't miss all this work. My daughters cough is very croupy although she was much better yesterday so I really did think we were gonna get some sleep... And then the 1.30am spew fest happened lol

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

I know it shouldn't as sleep deprivation really is a form of torture and I wouldn't really wish it on others but it makes me feel slightly better to know I'm not alone!! 6 week old is up from 3.30am every night for a wk now. Brought her in in the car seat this morn after dropping off toddler and went back to sleep for an hr fully clothed! Don't care any more - sleep is sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My little girl was put on a ventalin inhaler today. We've all got very chesty coughs so we went for a family visit to the doctor. She said A was very wheezy and to try ventalin as it's not a chest infection. She kept asking me if there's asthma in our families. I forgot my husband had suspected asthma as a young child.

I know there's a million worse things in the world and we're steeped in luck to have 2 healthy kids but I'm a little sad about it.

I'll get over myself soon! Just need to have a little self indulgent moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

On our first child and he is currently asleep. However I now have a problem where I check to see if he is still breathing. Is this normal. I'm not happy either way. He is either not sleeping or sleeping too deep.

:(

The joys of it

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

CptMackey wrote: »
    On our first child and he is currently asleep. However I now have a problem where I check to see if he is still breathing. Is this normal. I'm not happy either way. He is either not sleeping or sleeping too deep.

The joys of it

Completely normal CptMackey, the urge to check on them eases over time but its only natural really :)

The joys of it

Try and Angel Care monitor - an alarm goes off if they stop breathing/ moving while in their cot - I love the peace of mind

My little girl was put on a ventalin inhaler today. We've all got very chesty coughs so we went for a family visit to the doctor. She said A was very wheezy and to try ventalin as it's not a chest infection. She kept asking me if there's asthma in our families. I forgot my husband had suspected asthma as a young child.

I know there's a million worse things in the world and we're steeped in luck to have 2 healthy kids but I'm a little sad about it.

I'll get over myself soon! Just need to have a little self indulgent moan.

Aw that's poop. My brother had teething asthma. He was fine once he hit 3 and it never came back. I hope that gives you some sort of hope :-(

• Advertisement

The joys of it

I have a video monitor that I used to bring into the room with me because the room was very dark and I couldn't actually see baba so I'd just check monitor for chest rising. A lot of the monitors a very clear so I could see her easily. I didn't have to get out of bed either to see her which eliminated risk of waking her

Advertisement