Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

CptMackey wrote: »
    Our fella is doing this every second night. It's a killer. Try and sleep during the day when baby is asleep if you can. My wife is grabbing a few hours during the day this way.

Unfortunately she won't sleep during the day now either or at least not unless in my arms or in the moving car. Just back from a 20 min drive there and went to take her out with hope of leaving in seat inside so I could have a rest but started crying 20 secs after car stopped... And that was my second attempt at going out in the car. I know she's suffering from wind but I have a sprained finger and now a really sore back so holding and carrying her all day is really not doing me any good. Just feeling v sorry for myself at the moment 😥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Our lad sleeps all day but wakes at night and we spend the whole night feeding, changing, winding and trying to settle him. I'm not back to work full time till the 19th so it's not to bad at the moment, hopefully a better routine is starting up by then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm in hospital with my 9.5 month for the 6th time. She ran a temp of 41.7 last night: I got no sleep and I'm just wrecked. She's on fluids and not feeding: she's just so miserable. My toddler is at home sick too on antibiotics and hubby has a flu thing and is shivering and shaking with temps. So sick of all the sickness :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

cyning wrote: »
    I'm in hospital with my 9.5 month for the 6th time. She ran a temp of 41.7 last night: I got no sleep and I'm just wrecked. She's on fluids and not feeding: she's just so miserable. My toddler is at home sick too on antibiotics and hubby has a flu thing and is shivering and shaking with temps. So sick of all the sickness :(

Ah cyning :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Soooooo tired... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

You poor things :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Cyning I'm so sorry to be hearing this again :( x

I know :( she's such a trooper but she's so sleepy and miserable and I am so sick of the place. I think I'm going to be spending my ny Eve here: what a great start to 2015!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Cyning sorry to hear about your little girl. Hoping she makes a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

The poor little mite, Cyning. Hope she has a speedy recovery and ye are home before ye know it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Ah Cyning not again, ye poor things :( Hopefully 2015 will be better for ye.

2015 is going to begin in hospital :( need to be here 3-5 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

2015 is going to begin in hospital :( need to be here 3-5 days

How's the temperature now? Do they know what's causing it? Hope she's in the mend soon. :(

Quite a severe double ear infection and throat infection too. Temps aren't getting as high but they are able to give her higher doses of pain killers in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Quite a severe double ear infection and throat infection too. Temps aren't getting as high but they are able to give her higher doses of pain killers in here.

So sorry to hear that x

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Sorry to hear your little ones troubles cyning...hope 2015 brings a healthier year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Cyning sorry to hear your little lady is so sick. Hopefully she's back home soon. Fingers crossed that 2015 is a healthier year for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Mind yourself cyning, hope she gets well soon and you get some rest x

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

I have myself worked up into a bit of a state here - my 7 month old isn't really babbling yet (just makes aaaah and ooooh sounds) and I was a little concerned. So I started googling it and suddenly realised he is very poor at responding to his own name too - which is an early marker for autism. Otherwise he's great - moving around, full of smiles and laughs and loves interacting with people. No problems with eye contact. Any words of wisdom anyone? I have his developmental check next week so of course I will raise it - I'm just so scared at the moment that he his falling behind on communication milestones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Ooh aah sounds are perfectly normal. Many children only start speaking at 2, if you look on here you will see loads of threads on it, so you have a very long time to go yet.

Try using his name more between now and your appointment to see if he responds. Some babies may respond better to a male or female voice. Your phn can check his hearing if you ate concerned about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I have myself worked up into a bit of a state here - my 7 month old isn't really babbling yet (just makes aaaah and ooooh sounds) and I was a little concerned. So I started googling it and suddenly realised he is very poor at responding to his own name too - which is an early marker for autism. Otherwise he's great - moving around, full of smiles and laughs and loves interacting with people. No problems with eye contact. Any words of wisdom anyone? I have his developmental check next week so of course I will raise it - I'm just so scared at the moment that he his falling behind on communication milestones.

My only advice would be to relax. They all develop at different rates. My guy is 9 months, not moving, rarely sleeps the night, sometimes responds to his name, ( responds to his sisters name quicker) . I wouldnt worry

Thanks both. I wasn't too worried about the babbling (and I have no concerns about his hearing) but the failure to respond to his name seems to be a big red flag apparently. Otherwise he's such a happy and engaged little fella. He's so busy looking around him when we say his name it's like it doesn't register that it means we want his attention. I'm hoping so much that he catches up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My fella doesn't respond to his name much at almost 11 months. I think it's because my husband likes to call him 'son' and we call him monkey and baba too as nicknames. W probably only say his actual name maybe 5 times a day to him. I've tried to force myself to use his name more now though.

Thanks dori. I've just been out for a walk and we played a little game where I lifted up the pram and went "yay" if he made eye contact when I said his name. I'll keep that up and try some other games for home. Husband has a tendency not to use his name and I'm inclined to call him baba and sweetie and other things but I'd still use his name a lot during the day. He's here screaming with laughter and I'm just eaten up with anxiety - I need to get a grip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

He's so young CM, try not to worry. And you have the developmental check soon so you can mention it then. My only words of wisdom would be try not to use Google! Some of the stuff on that would worry the bejaysus out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I know very little about the signs of autism but I wouldn't be worried about a 7 month old not responding to his name. Perhaps if they were 15-18 months and still not responding I'd be worried but not 7 months.

As for babbling, my first babbled away from 3 months. I've loads of video clips on my phone of him answering me with lots of sounds. His sister didn't really babble at all. She was too busy watching and discovering everything I suppose. She's 20 months now and her speech is incredible. So the lack of babbling wasn't an indication of anything other than she has a totally different personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Thanks both. I wasn't too worried about the babbling (and I have no concerns about his hearing) but the failure to respond to his name seems to be a big red flag apparently. Otherwise he's such a happy and engaged little fella. He's so busy looking around him when we say his name it's like it doesn't register that it means we want his attention. I'm hoping so much that he catches up.

I know it's hard not to worry but at 7 months I really wouldn't be in any way concerned.
    All babies reach their little milestones at different points.
    Mention it at the developmental check and they'll put your mind at ease :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

7 months is very young so I'm sure it's fine. If he was 18 months (the stage at which you can start recognising early signs of autism) it would be different. :)

My 18 month old isn't really talking yet - he has one or two words and chats in his own language. He understands everything you say to him and can communicate well in his own way. I also got a bit paranoid and googled early autism signs like a mad woman. He didn't have a single sign/symptom. Sure, he's flying along. It's so easy to panic yourself, you're always worried about something!

I know it's hard not to worry but at 7 months I really wouldn't be in any way concerned.
    All babies reach their little milestones at different points.
    Mention it at the developmental check and they'll put your mind at ease :)

I'm not sure about that - I mentioned the no babbling thing to the phn at 6 months when I was getting him weighed and she was a little concerned. I wish I could stop obsessing about it - I'm not even able to enjoy my time with him as I'm just willing him to make some progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Each child progresses so differently - my friends toodler is a good few months younger and was walking before mine got crawling.

Just relax and if something does develop deal with it then, you cannot know until you speak to the phn (easy for me to say I know) but all parents panick...I think when they are born a switch is flipped somewhere

Advertisement