Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Our fella is driving us mad at the moment. He has always been a great sleeper (and still is, for the most part), he goes down at 8-8.30pm and stays down until 9am. He would always wake once or twice in the night or early morning but he wouldn't whinge or cry, he'd just babble away to himself and settle himself back to sleep after a few minutes. However, since he has learned to stand in his cot, every time he wakes up now he pulls himself up. Problem is he hasn't learned to get back down yet and ends up crying and shouting for one of us to come in and lift him back down. God knows how long he's been standing by that time, his poor little legs usually buckle as soon as we lift him :( Once he's back down he goes straight back to sleep but will wake a few hours later and do the same again. We've tried teaching him how to sit back down himself but it's not working. I suppose we'll just have to ride it out until he figures it out himself.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

This second hand buggy e-bay description has gone viral. The comments are even better!

I'm in bits here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Neyite wrote: »
    This second hand buggy e-bay description has gone viral. The comments are even better!

I'm in bits here!

Haha brilliant. the comments underneath are worth a read too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Suucee wrote: »
    Haha brilliant. the comments underneath are worth a read too.

Do you need to have an account to read the comments?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Do you need to have an account to read the comments?

No, I didnt anyway.

• Advertisement

No, I didnt anyway.

Agh I can't get them!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Agh I can't get them!

This link work for you?

This link work for you?

Haha very good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

I'm in bits here!

Ah jesus that's hilarious! Some of the comments underneath are gas but god some people have no sense of humour:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I'm in bits here!

This is brilliant!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Gah, the newborn has changed her sleeping habits and finds it hard to settle in her cot. Sleeps in our arms no trouble. Any ideas? And I have insomnia because I'm on antibiotics. Poor me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Have you tried warming the cot before putting her in it? We used to put a hot water bottle in the cot to warm it a bit while the baba settled in our arms, then we'd remove the hot water bottle and quickly put him down. The warmth would stop him from getting upset at being removed from being snuggled :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Sick toddler + sick Mammy + exhausted toddler + exhausted Mammy = One very long day hoping Mary Poppins would fly in through the window to take over =(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Merkin wrote: »

That made me giggle so thank you

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Yep, just sent it to my wife for a laugh! Thanks!

I love it!

Speaking as someone who's child NEVER slept through until he was a toddler and even then we have our nights where we play musical beds, and its somehow a reflection on your parenting, you DO want to punch the smuggers that do that condescending sympathetic head tilt before taking credit for the fact they have a baby who happens to sleep a lot.

My baby is not 'bad'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Gah, the newborn has changed her sleeping habits and finds it hard to settle in her cot. Sleeps in our arms no trouble. Any ideas? And I have insomnia because I'm on antibiotics. Poor me.

We had a bit of this and we got those sleep bags things. Keeps him warm while we are holding him and now when we put him down he goes off

I love it!

Speaking as someone who's child NEVER slept through until he was a toddler and even then we have our nights where we play musical beds, and its somehow a reflection on your parenting, you DO want to punch the smuggers that do that condescending sympathetic head tilt before taking credit for the fact they have a baby who happens to sleep a lot.

My baby is not 'bad'

Lol I know. Being honest, our little chap sleeps through the night (but is then on the go from morning to night as he is so busy so not a big napper) but I'm very conscious about saying that or appearing to gloat as it really varies from baby to baby, they are little individuals finding their own little way. We did have a spell at the start where he had colic so we had tears for a prolonged period every evening for a number of weeks which was really hard and I remember some numpty said to me, 'oh our baby neverrrrr cries, she's SO good'.........:mad: How on earth does having something as uncomfortable as colic make a baby 'bad' then?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

My neighbours child is a few months younger than mine and at the beginning she slept soundly (bottle fed which my mother swore was the reason) while mine (breastfed) didn't but about 6 months in it switched and mine started sleeping and hers screamed all night.

While I didn't gloat the the poor sleep deprived mother/ neighbour I did to MY mother who kept telling me I should copy the neighbour. They are all so different and what works for one probably won't work for another unfortunately

• Advertisement

Exactly right and it has nothing to do with doing things 'right' or 'wrong' as a parent. A friend of mine had a baby girl who cried for two years solid. I kid you not, they couldn't even leave her with family or with a babysitter and she had every test going with paediatricians etc and basically just stopped when she was about two, she's a lovely little girl. A few years later they had a little boy, the most placid little fellow you could meet who used to self sooth and slept a lot. Their parenting was no different in either case so it really is down to the little ones own needs and wants at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

my first slept through from 4 weeks i thought i had it cracked. it was great. used to have to wake her at 8 am to get ready for work.
    my second is 10 mnths and only started sleeping last week. we didnt do a single thing different. exact same parents , sane routine, same house but different baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

My little lad is 7 weeks today. Some nights he sleeps great, only wakes for a quick feed and straight back to sleep. 3 hours unbroken sleep at a time is great but most nights he's awake for an hour or two after a feed, sleeps for an hour then wakes looking for another feed.

Were pulling our hair out at the moment but hoping it'll pass soon

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    My little lad is 7 weeks today. Some nights he sleeps great, only wakes for a quick feed and straight back to sleep. 3 hours unbroken sleep at a time is great but most nights he's awake for an hour or two after a feed, sleeps for an hour then wakes looking for another feed.

Were pulling our hair out at the moment but hoping it'll pass soon

Mine was like that and things did just improve over time. They say it helps to act differently at nighttime and daytime so that they get used to sleeping longer at nighttime. So at night, keep lights low and TV off/low, don't talk to them too often. I think this happens naturally as your sleepy yourself anyway. During the day, have curtains open, lots of interaction, fresh air etc.

Some people advised me not to change baby's nappy at nighttime unless it is dirty, as that really wakes them up, up to you if you take that advice or not.

Basically keep them sleepy if you can so that they'll drift off again. It should improve with time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Also his tummy is still small but he might take bigger feeds and sleep longer in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I was one of those smug parents who had a baby who started sleeping through the night at 8 weeks old, then she turned 1 and has rarely slept a full night through since (she's now 3!) She usually wakes once to pee at night ( not going to complain about that) and more often than not will wake another time just to make sure I haven't left the house or something (I don't know, but that's the only reason I can find for it :/)

Karma's a b*tch! ;)

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

^^^
    Guilty as well. My now 6year old slept quite well up to age 1 and then never again!
    2.5 year old not bad up to recently as well but now it's musical beds all round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

^^^
    Guilty as well. My now 6year old slept quite well up to age 1 and then never again!
    2.5 year old not bad up to recently as well but now it's musical beds all round!

My almost 2 year old has slept every night through pretty much since birth until recently. Never got too smug because I knew how quickly that can change and to be honest was always grateful to get this far without sleepless night. Her brother broke my heart. Never slept until he was 2 1/2. Started sleeping when his baby sister came along thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

No sleep and no coffee..... Little man has been awake the last 2 nights with a temp, last night he was up till 4.45am and I was up at 6.40 for work - all 13 hours of it. Get into work this morning to discover that the FRIKKIN COFFEE MACHINE IS OUT OF ORDER!!! Rageballz. I'm so tired right now, and I've still got 2 hours to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

My almost 2 year old has slept every night through pretty much since birth until recently. Never got too smug because I knew how quickly that can change and to be honest was always grateful to get this far without sleepless night. Her brother broke my heart. Never slept until he was 2 1/2. Started sleeping when his baby sister came along thank god!

Ok can I be smug? (for all of 5 minutes!). After over a year of crappy sleep, my almost 2 year old LOVES his cot. He actually cries to get into it. Unless he's sick or wheezy he usually sleeps from 7:15 to 7:30. We still don't know ourselves. Long may it last, lord knows it was long overdue!

Advertisement