Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

yellow hen wrote: »
    Ok can I be smug? (for all of 5 minutes!). After over a year of crappy sleep, my almost 2 year old LOVES his cot. He actually cries to get into it. Unless he's sick or wheezy he usually sleeps from 7:15 to 7:30. We still don't know ourselves. Long may it last, lord knows it was long overdue!

Aw that is great news! Nothing like the relief when toddler starts to ease into a permanent all night routine. Fingers crossed we will all be in the same boat soon enough. It passes so quick but at the time it feels like an eternity. Before we know it they will be teenagers and we will all be on here giving out about having to physically remove them from the bed every morning for school :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My almost 2 year old had a temp of 39.5 this evening so tomorrow I'll have to ring my manager again to take a day off and another trip to the doctor. She's a trooper when she's sick. She's been unwell every few weeks but keeps fighting it. Hopefully we'll get antibiotics to knock it on the head once and for all. We've had 4 months of one or more of us being sick every 2-3 weeks at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

My almost 2 year old had a temp of 39.5 this evening so tomorrow I'll have to ring my manager again to take a day off and another trip to the doctor. She's a trooper when she's sick. She's been unwell every few weeks but keeps fighting it. Hopefully we'll get antibiotics to knock it on the head once and for all. We've had 4 months of one or more of us being sick every 2-3 weeks at this stage

I feel your pain. I used all my annual leave on little ones sick days last year. We've also had 4 visits to crumlin and still no resolution to an ongoing problem. There are days (albeit they're limited) that I'm glad I don't have another small baby. The sickness is just exhausting.

I'm lucky that we have time in lieu and I've deliberately accrued a week and a half over last year to cover sick days.

Thankfully our illnesses are all the standard viral/bacterial ones. I know I'm very lucky in that sense. I can't imagine how stressful it is to have a child who needs to be brought to hospital. It's crap though when you feel you're constantly ringing in to take time off for sick kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

MY mil is visiting for a while. I'm so happy she is here for my son and his dad. However I had to smile through gritted teeth this morning. As I was about to leave for work and say goodbye to R, she asked me "Do you like your job? Isn't it stressful?" with a kind of pitying and disapproving tone implying, why the hell are you leaving your baby to go out to work? Thanks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

MY mil is visiting for a while. I'm so happy she is here for my son and his dad. However I had to smile through gritted teeth this morning. As I was about to leave for work and say goodbye to R, she asked me "Do you like your job? Isn't it stressful?" with a kind of pitying and disapproving tone implying, why the hell are you leaving your baby to go out to work? Thanks :(

That's so annoying. My mother loves to remark about women going to work and letting others mind their kids etc when in her day they stayed at home to mind their children "but that's the choice they make these days" asif it's such an evil decision. Yeah.. but maybe we'd like to not have to scrape by for our kids as they grow up! Or maybe we enjoy having a career aswell. For me, it's the former. Don't like my job but wouldn't like to lose my salary either!! I hate the idea of going back to work and getting childcare. Lotto anyone??

73trix wrote: »
    That's so annoying. My mother loves to remark about women going to work and letting others mind their kids etc when in her day they stayed at home to mind their children "but that's the choice they make these days" asif it's such an evil decision. Yeah.. but maybe we'd like to not have to scrape by for our kids as they grow up! Or maybe we enjoy having a career aswell. For me, it's the former. Don't like my job but wouldn't like to lose my salary either!! I hate the idea of going back to work and getting childcare. Lotto anyone??

I wouldn't mind, but he's not even in daycare, his Dad is at home with him. Although that might be an issue for her in itself... Can't win!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

For the past 5 years I have been at home minding the kids and I have been "lazy, useless, a dosser, a scumbag" (this from a woman who has NEVER worked a day since saying I do at aged 19 and is now in her 70's) We are getting ready to move and I am finally going to be able to afford childcare and all of a sudden I'm a terrible mother for even considering getting a job and leaving my kids in childcare for even a second. There is seriously no winning.

I have not been on in a while, but I have been so busy. I have a terrible sinus infection which means I can barely breathe and cannot sleep, and this week I have had 1 flu-y daddy, 1 asthmatic flu-y 5 year old boy and 1 vomiting bug 18 month old. Not fun :( And we are moving in 2 weeks and not a bit of packing done :(

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    For the past 5 years I have been at home minding the kids and I have been "lazy, useless, a dosser, a scumbag" (this from a woman who has NEVER worked a day since saying I do at aged 19 and is now in her 70's) We are getting ready to move and I am finally going to be able to afford childcare and all of a sudden I'm a terrible mother for even considering getting a job and leaving my kids in childcare for even a second. There is seriously no winning.

I have not been on in a while, but I have been so busy. I have a terrible sinus infection which means I can barely breathe and cannot sleep, and this week I have had 1 flu-y daddy, 1 asthmatic flu-y 5 year old boy and 1 vomiting bug 18 month old. Not fun :( And we are moving in 2 weeks and not a bit of packing done :(

True, all sides get it. It's awful really that we can't appreciate the good in either situation. I'm sorry your getting such grief.

Dear god that sounds like a hellish week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Have been in temple St a&e for the last 3 hours. Little man fell while out with me on a walk and split himself on the pavement; he has a big laceration on his forehead. Got it stitched, but then he started vomiting so he's here for observation. Not fun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

nikpmup wrote: »
    Have been in temple St a&e for the last 3 hours. Little man fell while out with me on a walk and split himself on the pavement; he has a big laceration on his forehead. Got it stitched, but then he started vomiting so he's here for observation. Not fun :(

You poor thing - I hope they are ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Oh poor little dude. :( And poor you! How is he this morning?

oh no, that's terrible. I hope he's ok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Oh the poor little sausage. Hope he makes a speedy recovery and thankfully he's in a good place to be looked after. Get well soon little man xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Poor little man!! Hope he's okay now.

Thanks folks, he's in great form this morning, a bit tired so he's extra snuggly. He doesn't seem too bothered by the plaster on his head. I was sick to my stomach when it happened, he has a big, deep gash on his forehead. We went to the vhi clinic to get it glued, I'm hoping he doesn't scar :( He was grand, we got him home & was just about to put him to bed when he vomited. Into Temple St for neuro obs, got out at 1.30am. He was one cranky boy last night, but is great today. Had to take today off work unpaid, but I'll forgive him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Thanks folks, he's in great form this morning, a bit tired so he's extra snuggly. He doesn't seem too bothered by the plaster on his head. I was sick to my stomach when it happened, he has a big, deep gash on his forehead. We went to the vhi clinic to get it glued, I'm hoping he doesn't scar :( He was grand, we got him home & was just about to put him to bed when he vomited. Into Temple St for neuro obs, got out at 1.30am. He was one cranky boy last night, but is great today. Had to take today off work unpaid, but I'll forgive him :)

Ye poor things! It was probably worse for you than it was for him :(:( Great that he is feeling better today :)

Ended up in temple St AGAIN all last night. Poor wee man has croup, he ended up so short of breath that he had to go into a&e. They had to hold him down to pour a dose of steroid into him :( He's much better now, but I've to ring in sick again.... My boss isn't gonna like me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Ended up in temple St AGAIN all last night. Poor wee man has croup, he ended up so short of breath that he had to go into a&e. They had to hold him down to pour a dose of steroid into him :( He's much better now, but I've to ring in sick again.... My boss isn't gonna like me!

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that. My little one had croup at about two months old and it was so scary but the steroids worked amazingly.

I hope your boss has a heart x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Starting to stuggle a bit now. We have an 11 week old who just doesn't want to sleep at night. Put him down at about 10 when we were going to bed, he was due a feed at 12 but didn't wake till 1, happy days... not quite. Back to bed about 2am and he was awake from 3 to about 6/6.30.

It seemed like wind but we just couldn't get it up. He's on that Zantac stuff and reflux formula which is supposed to help but I'm not really sure it's having any effect

Anyway, this 3-4 hours of broken sleep is starting to take its toll. Getting out of bed for work is getting more and more difficult!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

KERSPLAT - you may know this already but just in case, some tips are - if baby gets enough quality naps in day, this will actually help them sleep better at night.
    Do you have a bedtime routine (maybe too young yet) and Are you putting baby down to sleep when you see tiredness signs - yawns, rubbing eyes, reduced activity. He may need an earlier bedtime now he's older and doesn't just fell asleep automatically anymore.

I haven't cracked sleep here yet but the above are helping.

On wind, tummy massage sometimes helps here but not always (YouTube I Love You massage) and then cycle legs into tummy or hold knees into tummy for 6 seconds and repeat. Or you could ask PHN/GP about the formula if you don't think it's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

We had a reflux baby Kersplat so I feel your pain. I was like a zombie for months. My little boy is an excellent sleeper now though! Way better than a lot of babies his age.

We got through it by sleeping in shifts. I'd feed the baba at 10ish (I was breastfeeding) and then go in the other room to sleep until the next feed. Then my husband would hand him over and go and get a few solid hours himself. He also took the night off completely every few nights as he had to get up for work and needed a proper night to recharge - on those nights I'd just make sure the next day my mum or dad were around to give me a good nap time. It sucks but you get through it! We used losec not Zantac but it only had a small effect, they just grow out of it but at the time it seems never ending. It was a very tough time and everything seems worse when you're tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

We found the Clevamama sleep positioner brilliant for reflux with our little fella Kersplat. It puts the baby at an incline so less likely to spew. You are only supposed to use it until the baby starts rolling over though so not sure how much use you would get out of it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Starting to stuggle a bit now. We have an 11 week old who just doesn't want to sleep at night. Put him down at about 10 when we were going to bed, he was due a feed at 12 but didn't wake till 1, happy days... not quite. Back to bed about 2am and he was awake from 3 to about 6/6.30.

It seemed like wind but we just couldn't get it up. He's on that Zantac stuff and reflux formula which is supposed to help but I'm not really sure it's having any effect

Anyway, this 3-4 hours of broken sleep is starting to take its toll. Getting out of bed for work is getting more and more difficult!!!

Our fella is after getting tough to wind for some reason. We walk the floors patting his back . Murder . What I notice is when he has wind around his mouth looks kinda greeny blue and that goes away once he breaks it

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Ye poor things! Our LO had silent reflux so I feel your pain :( It was impossible to get her wind up but our GP gave us a great tip for getting wind up - put baby in a sitting position on your lap and rotate her upper body. We found it really helped :)

My poor bubs is so sick :( After getting the steroids in temple St on Thursday night he improved, and I thought we were over the worst, but he's been so sick ever since. He's got a dreadful cough, and he's producing so much mucus it's making him vomit. He doesn't seem to be getting any better :( Doc for him in the morning if there's no improvement. I feel so sorry for him :( And tomorrow I actually have to justify taking a day off. I'll choke on the words.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

My poor bubs is so sick :( After getting the steroids in temple St on Thursday night he improved, and I thought we were over the worst, but he's been so sick ever since. He's got a dreadful cough, and he's producing so much mucus it's making him vomit. He doesn't seem to be getting any better :( Doc for him in the morning if there's no improvement. I feel so sorry for him :( And tomorrow I actually have to justify taking a day off. I'll choke on the words.

Aw nikpmp, we've had that 3 times since Christmas and have ended up in a&e 3 times with it. In my humble experience, the steroid helps open the airways but it doesn't help with the mucus. Antihistamine is really good at that. Under the advice of crumlin we first gave our then 20month old 2.5mla of zirtek before bed and honestly it helps dry the mucus up. Also tilt his cot (a lot). It does pass but it's horrendous. Most times we've also needed an antibiotic to clear infections to the lungs too. Go to your doc in the morn as the sooner you get this, the less likely he is to get worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

You've really been through the mill Nikpmup, you poor thing and your poor wee guy. I hope he feels better soon.

• Advertisement

Just found out our LO is allergic to pencillin :eek::eek::eek: She has been on it once before with no problems but this time she had a severe reaction to it - thank god no breathing difficulties but her poor skin is in a horrendous state and her face really swelled up :(:(

Never knew that a baby could develop an allergy to something that she had previously been okay with and that it doesn't necessarily happen immediately (LO had been on the antibiotics 4 days before the reaction):(:(

Advertisement