Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Soooky I heard of a very similar reaction only recently. I hope she's better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Sooky, how scary! Hope she's better soon x

Yellow hen, thanks for that advice - he needs something for the mucus, he's just in an awful state. He's been sick since Wednesday and he's not really getting better. He's just exhausted from being up half the night every night coughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

nikpmup wrote: »
    Sooky, how scary! Hope she's better soon x

Yellow hen, thanks for that advice - he needs something for the mucus, he's just in an awful state. He's been sick since Wednesday and he's not really getting better. He's just exhausted from being up half the night every night coughing.
    Try the antihistamine. Definitely works.

yellow hen wrote: »
    Try the antihistamine. Definitely works.
    Can you just buy it OTC or does it have to be prescribed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

You can get Zirtek otc. I take it for hayfever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

When my one had it they slept in a baby chair/ car seat for a few nights. Not ideal, and babba was not as bad, but it helped with the breathing as did a humidifier and bulb thing up the nose to get some snot out. I also did baby massage on the back - awful mucus came up.

I hope it clears soon

Sorry, yes you can buy zirtek over the counter. If you are desperate to sleep and your little one too, you could try a little dozol as it also contains antihistamine. (it's for over 2's, I'm not sure what age your little one is).

I have to say, I found the bulb syringe and humidifier useless in these cases. The mucus is just so thick and deep rooted. The massage sounds interesting and something I'd love to try. Hope you got some sleep last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Anyone else have kids with a nut allergy? Our nearly 6 year old has one and our 2 year old has just been diagnosed with one too. That's 2 out of our 3 kids with it. We seem to be managing it fine but it really is a stressful thing to have to deal with, especially when they start school and aren't as 'controlled' as they are at home or in creche.

Thanks folks, yep, the mucus is thick alright. He slept from about 1am - pure exhaustion at this stage. The zirtek is for over 2's as well, my lad's only 16months, but he's going to the doc today anyway so I'll ask about it. He's now refusing point blank to take any medicine - calpol, neorofen, either on a spoon, in a syringe or mixed with food, he's just so sick of having things shoved down his throat!!

Thanks folks, yep, the mucus is thick alright. He slept from about 1am - pure exhaustion at this stage. The zirtek is for over 2's as well, my lad's only 16months, but he's going to the doc today anyway so I'll ask about it. He's now refusing point blank to take any medicine - calpol, neorofen, either on a spoon, in a syringe or mixed with food, he's just so sick of having things shoved down his throat!!

Do ask your doc. Crumlin felt that it was necessary and the age wasnt an issue. Is he slightly off his bottle too (if he still has one)? My guy was ok for food but he couldnt seem to swallow his bottle. Let us know how you get on. Poor little guy.

• Advertisement

Do ask your doc. Crumlin felt that it was necessary and the age wasnt an issue. Is he slightly off his bottle too (if he still has one)? My guy was ok for food but he couldnt seem to swallow his bottle. Let us know how you get on. Poor little guy.

He's still trying to drink his bottle but struggling, he has to keep stopping for air! The good news is that he's supping on a beaker of water through the day. He's just refusing to let us near him with a spoon or a syringe - not surprising, really, given that me and two nurses had to hold him down and force the steroids into him on Thurs night. He's in seeing the doc now, I told my partner to ask about the zirtek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Could you try supositories - I have never used them but it may be an alternative

Might have to resort to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

nikpmup, if you live anywhere near the coast, take him for a nice long walk along the beach. The sea air is great for clearing out mucus.

He has a chest and ear infection, so antibiotics and steroids for him..... If I can get them down him!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Many thanks for all the replies everyone, only got to read them today. Funny thing, he slept last night from 9pm-3.30am, quick feed and back to sleep at 4.30am and was still asleep when I was leaving at 8 for work, he was much better Saturday night too... Have we turned a corner!!??? Oh please god let it be so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Many thanks for all the replies everyone, only got to read them today. Funny thing, he slept last night from 9pm-3.30am, quick feed and back to sleep at 4.30am and was still asleep when I was leaving at 8 for work, he was much better Saturday night too... Have we turned a corner!!??? Oh please god let it be so!

Fingers crossed! They do advise that it can start to improve about 12 weeks when their stomach muscles develop a bit more so hopefully that's what it is :)

He has a chest and ear infection, so antibiotics and steroids for him..... If I can get them down him!!!

The infections seem to go hand in hand with the croup. I forgot to say, don't use neurofen if you can help it as its counterproductive to the steroid. Try a paralink suppository if he needs it. Did the doctor give any advice for the antihistamine?

The infections seem to go hand in hand with the croup. I forgot to say, don't use neurofen if you can help it as its counterproductive to the steroid. Try a paralink suppository if he needs it. Did the doctor give any advice for the antihistamine?

She said no, as she felt it wouldn't help in this case, but if the steroids/antibiotics don't start to work in a couple of days I'll be getting it.
    Didn't know that about the neurofen. I have some paralunk, I'll try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Terrible weekend for sleep! After lunch today I felt so wrecked I decided I needed a coffee - first proper full-caff coffee in over a year. Wow am I AWAKE!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Soooky I heard of a very similar reaction only recently. I hope she's better soon

She is feeling a lot better thank god! Rash nearly gone and her face swelling has gone down :) I just wanted to post what happened in case it may help someone else in the future as I was completely unaware that an allergy can show up on the 2nd or 3rd use of penicillin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

Hi all has anybody and tips for reducing a very bad bruise to the forehead. My poor 2 year got an awful bruise today. He is in good spirits but it looks so bad

traineeacc wrote: »
    Hi all has anybody and tips for reducing a very bad bruise to the forehead. My poor 2 year got an awful bruise today. He is in good spirits but it looks so bad

A cold compress now and then Arnica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

My fourteen month old is always sick, it seems, since he started creche. We were having a good run of it since conjunctivitis a few weeks ago, but ended up back at the GP today with - of all things - a fungal infection behind his ear. Ewww.

Thank feck we have health insurance. I would be broke from all the GP visits otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I was thinking of putting our little girl in crèche in September so I can take a promotion ive been offered. It would only be 2 days a week. But I'm wondering whether a child minder in my house would be a better option as I'm really worried she'd be constantly sick at crèche. I know so many people who've taken theor kids out of great crèches coz they were always sick. My 2 have had a constant string of colds this winter and that's only from going to play groups....

Question: should I wake a toddler who's been asleep for two and a half hours for his lunch, or should I just sit here in (clean, organised, dinner already on) silence for another while?!!

traineeacc wrote: »

If you find out let me know. My poor lad seems to be forever banging the same spot on his forehead, it looks awful when he's going around with a massive bruise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Question: should I wake a toddler who's been asleep for two and a half hours for his lunch, or should I just sit here in (clean, organised, dinner already on) silence for another while?!!

Let sleeping toddlers lie I say! 2 and a half hours!! We're lucky to get an hour but she regularly does 2 hours for granny and grandad while I'm at work. The odd time she sleeps longer than an hour for me I find myself creeping up and down the hall listening at her door :D

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

If you find out let me know. My poor lad seems to be forever banging the same spot on his forehead, it looks awful when he's going around with a massive bruise!

The arnica cream seems to be working wonders for us. It doesn't look anywhere near as nasty now.! Cold compress first 2 days then arnica a good few times a day. Doctor told me at least 2 weeks before id see any improvement however not even a week later and it looks so much better

• Advertisement

I must give it a go the next time he bashes himself.

Roesy, he normally doesn't go more than an hour, but he's been upside down with sleep, naps and eating the last while, since the two temple street nights and being sick. Hopefully he'll settle into some form of pattern soon, I'm worn out trying to work him out! He's in a play centre ATM, I'm trying to work up an appetite and tire him out so he'll go down tonight!

Advertisement