Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Just be careful with the arnica around their little eyes. Unfortunately most of the worst bangs happen around that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Poor S just cannot get a break: finished an antibiotic yesterday for a post grommets ear infection and today absolutely horrendous nappy rash and it's bleeding :( no sleep last night and not too hopeful about tonight now either.

Also I've being blaming my poor 2.5 year old for throwing bibs down the toilet and it wasn't her at all it was S and she not even one yet! Serious mammy guilt there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

yellow hen wrote: »
    Just be careful with the arnica around their little eyes. Unfortunately most of the worst bangs happen around that area.

Or broken skin the pharmacist told me also. Think it does work either that or my little man just heals quickly!

traineeacc wrote: »
    Or broken skin the pharmacist told me also. Think it does work either that or my little man just heals quickly!

No, I found arnica amazing. We're always bumping and falling in this house. It takes the real ugly rawness off bruises.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

Thanks for the recommendation. I must be living in my own little bubble I hadn't heard of it but have used it after a bad fall last week and really did take the ugly purple look off it. Almost a week later and it's well improved. I have no doubt I will get plenty use out of it for next couple of years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

No, I found arnica amazing. We're always bumping and falling in this house. It takes the real ugly rawness off bruises.

Arnica, like every other homeopathic item, is just water. Works the same way as miraculous medals work.

A kiss from mammy or daddy does the job just as well. Save your money. Bruises go away all on their own.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/mar/11/homeopathy-not-effective-for-treating-any-condition-australian-report-finds

For my moan... why do babies constantly want to climb into fireplaces and get sooty? It's her favourite place! Go anywhere else crazy baby!

pwurple wrote: »
    Arnica, like every other homeopathic item, is just water. Works the same way as miraculous medals work.

A kiss from mammy or daddy does the job just as well. Save your money. Bruises go away all on their own.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/mar/11/homeopathy-not-effective-for-treating-any-condition-australian-report-finds

Really?! I am usually the one who would never ever buy homeopathic remedies. This one genuinely fooled me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I think arnica is amazing. Each to their own etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Really?! I am usually the one who would never ever buy homeopathic remedies. This one genuinely fooled me!

Yeah, the marketing machine is pretty strong for it. A buddy tells a story about their child, who drank a whole bottle of arnica once from their medicine cabinet. They freaked out and phoned the poisons hotline... were told "It's just water, nothing to worry about."

Good for a thirst though! :D
    I think arnica is amazing. Each to their own etc etc.
    Pity the homeopathic arnica doesn't contain even a single molecule of it!

It's as amazing as any other water... but I'm pretty strongly against the ethics of ripping people off, so I'll usually pipe up if I see people being taken for a ride by this particular money-making racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

pwurple wrote: »
    Yeah, the marketing machine is pretty strong for it. A buddy tells a story about their child, who drank a whole bottle of arnica once from their medicine cabinet. They freaked out and phoned the poisons hotline... were told "It's just water, nothing to worry about."

Good for a thirst though! :D

Pity the homeopathic arnica doesn't contain even a single molecule of it!

It's as amazing as any other water... but I'm pretty strongly against the ethics of ripping people off, so I'll usually pipe up if I see people being taken for a ride by this particular money-making racket.

I agree with you on homeopathy not working and the ethics of ripping people off in general.

I think arnica can also come in non-homeopathic creams (so actually have arnica in them) but there is no clear evidence to support claims that they help bruising. A look through studies on arnica and bruising show studies that find no difference and a few that show small differences. Even if it isn't homeopathic, arnica unfortunately doesn't work like the sellers claim.

I'm always surprised when it is recommended by some health/medical folk as I thought medical recommendations should be evidence-based.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Teething 1 year old and a sleep deprived 2 year old mean I am in dundrum before the shop I need to go to is open! An hour to entertain the little ones, coffee for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Teething 1 year old and a sleep deprived 2 year old mean I am in dundrum before the shop I need to go to is open! An hour to entertain the little ones, coffee for me!

:(. Hope you got that coffee and hope they have a nice long nap for you this afternoon (fingers crossed) :).

S is teething amd possibly getting another earache and didn't sleep for more than 40 minutes in one go last night. I had work this morn and It's her birthday party tomorrow and house needs cleaning. I have a wisdom tooth coming down and an awful awful toothache... And hubby is working late so just want to cry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

cyning wrote: »
    S is teething amd possibly getting another earache and didn't sleep for more than 40 minutes in one go last night. I had work this morn and It's her birthday party tomorrow and house needs cleaning. I have a wisdom tooth coming down and an awful awful toothache... And hubby is working late so just want to cry!

How on earth are you still standing??? Happy birthday S x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Sligo1 wrote: »
    :(. Hope you got that coffee and hope they have a nice long nap for you this afternoon (fingers crossed) :).

Got most of my coffee but not the teething rail I went for! If my child was not eating the cot I'd have such an easier life 😄

Oh god puking... Why oh why did I say the only thing we avoided this winter was the vomiting bug?! Toddler is puking so fingers crossed S avoids it.... We've never had a full vomiting bug here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

cyning wrote: »
    Oh god puking... Why oh why did I say the only thing we avoided this winter was the vomiting bug?! Toddler is puking so fingers crossed S avoids it.... We've never had a full vomiting bug here!

:-( the joys of mammyhood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

It is only half twelve and I am awake for the 3rd time. Every time, there has been tantrums, screaming and kicking. This is the third night in a row now. I am so sleep deprived. I cannot handle the screaming much longer.

loubian wrote: »
    It is only half twelve and I am awake for the 3rd time. Every time, there has been tantrums, screaming and kicking. This is the third night in a row now. I am so sleep deprived. I cannot handle the screaming much longer.

Is she having night terrors? Poor mamma and babba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

bp wrote: »
    Is she having night terrors? Poor mamma and babba

I don't think it is night terrors as she is fully awake when she throws the tantrums. If she doesn't get what she wants fast enough, she goes mad. A total of 8 times we were up last night. Exhausted doesn't even cut it

• Advertisement

Oh you poor thing, that must be hard. Easier said then done (I know) but if you stay calm (very hard) it may help. Sorry I cannot be of any use :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Since the topic has come up, can small babies get night terrors?? My little guy (nearly 6months)woke last night roaring and it took a few minutes to calm him. It was very odd and gave myself and OH a fright but he did settle back to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

Its happened my little one at times from about 5 months on, she could wake up shaking with the fright, in hysterics and would take some time to calm. She would scare the bejaysis out of us. I could only put it down to night terrors, didn't really know what else it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

sonners wrote: »
    Its happened my little one at times from about 5 months on, she could wake up shaking with the fright, in hysterics and would take some time to calm. She would scare the bejaysis out of us. I could only put it down to night terrors, didn't really know what else it could be.

Glad its not just us. We lept out of the bed to grab him! He was wailing. HOpefully it doesn't become a regular event. He has been a really good sleeper at nighttime...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭ronjo

bp wrote: »
    :-( the joys of mammyhood

Parenthood..... Us daddys have to deal with it too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Awake most of the night with a toddler that's coughing then vomiting. I don't know which is causing what. :(

ronjo wrote: »
    Parenthood..... Us daddys have to deal with it too..

Apologies - very true :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Little lad, 14 weeks today, had a late feed last night at about 11.30, slept through to 7.30 this morning... It was amazing!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ariana`

73trix wrote: »
    Since the topic has come up, can small babies get night terrors?? My little guy (nearly 6months)woke last night roaring and it took a few minutes to calm him. It was very odd and gave myself and OH a fright but he did settle back to sleep.

Night terrors are more common in 2-6yrs olds, they happen in the 2-3hrs after going to sleep and the child doesn't wake up and doesn't remember the next day. My 5 yr old starting having them when he was 4.5yrs, all i can describe the noises he makes as is blood curdling, noises i can't imagine a wild animal making, he can't be comforted by anyone it just has to pass. He will usually scream irrationally at anyone who tries to approach him to "get away/go away/stop" etc... Our GP explained that he doesn't see mammy/daddy, he sees an agressor, when he's in the middel of a night terror.

If your child was awake it was more likely a very bad dream or nightmare that woke him/her, either that or a very bad pain i'd say. Poor little one all the same though, it's not nice to see them so upset especially when they can't tell you what's wrong.

• Advertisement

I am just wrecked: S had her 12 months vaccinations mon and while she didn't get as sick as she normally does (and don't get me wrong I'm very very grateful for that!) she's very cranky, not sleeping, has a temp today, and is pulling at her ears :(

Advertisement